Newbie 595 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:07 am

Post by Muerrto »

Sigh you finally start to post then degenerate again...

If you look at the post times you'll see you were FINALLY posting WHILE I was posting. If you wanna play, play. Don't go back to running away.

Official Vote Count

W!nt3r - 2 (q21, Muerrto)

Super Archivist - 1 (massive)
Litral - 1 (shaka!!)

Not Voting - 2 (Litral, Super Archivist, W!nt3r)

4 to Lynch.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:08 am

Post by W!nt3r »

I was all ready to meet all 8 of those demands.
Strategy, smategy.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:08 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Nonono... You see the posts were all AFTER i stated that I would be answering you.
Strategy, smategy.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 am

Post by Muerrto »

And for the record, your post was great and your analysis of my playstyle was excellent!

If I promise not to keep attcking you and you promise to keep it up, come back =p

Not sure why it took so long to get that out of you.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 am

Post by Litral »

Muerrto wrote: I could really care less whether Winter is town or not right now since he's said he feels he wins by guessing the scum but doesn't care whether the town wins or loses.
My thoughts exactly.

I would vote him just to get him out of the game, but I really want both shaka!!'s comment on other players and massive's LoS.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:16 am

Post by Litral »

W!nt3r, do you retract your comment that you didn't care if the town won, then?
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Because you wouldn't tell me why snafo was being scummy... When i read the thread I gathered this much from how he was acting:

I'm new but I like post analysis... this is fun... Yadda-yadda. Oh this person looks scummy to me... seeing as I'm new and i like this post analysis, I must be right. Why does this person who I think is scum keep trying to derail my arguments? He must be scum... BTW guys i don't post on the weekend. Oh shoot. I missed hammering Mike because I was sick... so sorry guys...

this is up until his Big post on page 13. then to me... when I first read it as an outsider coming in: He just missed nearly 5 pages... He, a very hard headed person it seems, Thinks... "God this guy has just GOT to be scum..." and he spends some time working out this very elaborate, albeit disillusioned, post arguing against you. then when you refute him with a few minor points, he freaks out and is like OMGUS THIS GAME IS BS I DON"T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE. because you hurt his feelings.

Now. my first post was made with the assumption that I would be coming back to all the players. This post was made with the intention to fend off any "This is rediculous... this game has been going on for too long, I'm killing him Votes." and "I am the last scum... everyone else thinks he's scum I will be ready to pounce on the hammer" once he gets a third vote.

Then i come back to you and litral arguing over how me claiming was such a bad play. I'm sorry to say it, but at this point in the game... Some of what you have seen and read has been molded, maybe not grotesquely, but to some degree into a view that is not entirely clear.

I replaced a player after 13 pages of discussion, only to find out that said player is the leading suspect... now take what I have just read: Snafoo is a bad player and Your quote of "need something good or else" Well in my mind... what is a good defense? A claim!

I'm sorry to cut this post short.. but i have to go make dinner for my mother.
Strategy, smategy.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:26 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Litral wrote:W!nt3r, do you retract your comment that you didn't care if the town won, then?
I never said i didn't care if the town won... i said:

i really don't care about winning... this means I don't care if I am alive at the end of the game or not. because to win as town you have to have outlived the mafia.
Strategy, smategy.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 am

Post by Litral »

W!nt3r wrote:i really don't care about winning... this means I don't care if I am alive at the end of the game or not. because to win as town you have to have outlived the mafia.
Not true except in very few theme games.

Also, this contradicts your stance earlier. You said that you'd love to see us run about as headless chickens. That's the same thing.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 am

Post by Muerrto »

Winter, Snafoo's replacment tells me that he wasn't playing, not lurking. I wasn't ready to see a bandwagon crush him or anything but if he wasn't participating, since the town was so far ahead, I was fine w/getting rid of him.

I'm very much liking your posting and your character analysis was good as well. I think you misunderstood my original post, altho claiming at lynch -2 is early, most definitely, and we got off on the wrong foot.

Participation is key and I wasn't seeing it from Snafoo. Your immediate OMGUS on me made it worse. I'm not how exactly I pissed you off but I'm glad you decided to give it another shot.

Unvote

for now as we hear from some of the others.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 am

Post by W!nt3r »

I disliked the attitude i received when I was kind enough to replace your prime suspect. This caused me to dislike the group. If the group suffers it will justify my dislike. You can still win with your heads cut off.

If i had said: I hope this town gets down to a lynch or lose and lynches Muerrto and ends up being fabled as the worst newbie game ever played.

That would have implied that I WANTED you to lose. My statement merely implies that I would enjoy seeing it.

BTW a thanks for replacing would have also calmed me down pretty well.
Strategy, smategy.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:39 am

Post by W!nt3r »

now i really really really do have to go... I am actually closing the laptop this time.
Strategy, smategy.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 11:56 am

Post by Muerrto »

Lol thanks for replacing. And for being very active and agressive. I get so much crap for my agressive playstyle it's nice to find someone to butt heads with as long as we don't butt too much. IMO I thought it sounded like you wanted us to lose too which is why me and Litral were more than happy to get rid of you and why I simply asked the mod to ditch you.

I just recently had to deal with another player acting the same way and it's frustrating when people give up and kill the game.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Post by Super Archivist »

Well, this is nice. Glad to see we're all friends again.

... It almost sounded like W!nt3r was admitting he was mafia for a second, with the whole "I hate the town" thing. Of course, that would be really stupid, but he seemed very apathetic about the game, so whatever.

Anyway W!nt3r, you said that a townie only wins if he survives until the end... That isn't true. Every pro-town player wins if the town wins, regardless if you got night killed or lynched or anything. So if you're pro-town, you definitely should care about the town beyond yourself! (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway.)
Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Post by Super Archivist »

Oh wait, Litral already said that. Neeeeeevermind. :roll:

Speaking of things Litral said, what is a LoS? You keep talking about massive's...
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 am

Post by W!nt3r »

W!nt3r wrote:
Litral wrote:W!nt3r, do you retract your comment that you didn't care if the town won, then?
I never said i didn't care if the town won... i said:

i really don't care about winning... this means I don't care if I am alive at the end of the game or not.
because to win as town you have to have outlived the mafia.
This is how i perceive winning in a game of mafia as a townie. because If you're dead you can't rejoice in the fact that You were the one who killed off all the mafia... unless you died in Dynomite stick mafia but also killed the last mafia member.
Strategy, smategy.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 1:07 am

Post by Litral »

W!nt3r, you're mixing up personal feelings with a game. We are grateful that you allowed the game to proceed, but to cancel out snafoo's scumniness with appreciation would not be true to the spirit of the game. This is understandable, I believe.

If you've read carefully, you'd realize I do not at all appreciate any playstyle which includes "VOTE:SELF". I'll be keeping my eye on you, but I will no longer force your lynch if you contribute.

Anyway.

The Townie PM, as included in the first page, very explicitly states that you win if all the mafia are gone, whether or not you survive until the end. Sure, you don't have to follow that, it's not as if we're playing the game for you. But you have to admit it's a bit strange when you go into a game and call yourself a loser if you get killed Night 0, but a winner if you don't help the town at all and guessed out the scum in your own head.

Then again, "play to win" is one of mith's official guidelines...

The problem with adding a "Survivor" condition to everyone is that townies have a much smaller incentive to help the town. There are a variety of strategies a townie can adopt in order to stay alive: getting suspicion onto oneself, lurking heavily, misdirecting the town on purpose, etc. And saying anything that's definitely helpful to the town will likely paint a huge target on one's own head.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Litral wrote:W!nt3r, you're mixing up personal feelings with a game. We are grateful that you allowed the game to proceed, but to cancel out snafoo's scumniness with appreciation would not be true to the spirit of the game. This is understandable, I believe.
i don't understand this comment.
Litral wrote:The Townie PM, as included in the first page, very explicitly states that you win if all the mafia are gone, whether or not you survive until the end. Sure, you don't have to follow that, it's not as if we're playing the game for you. But you have to admit it's a bit strange when you go into a game and call yourself a loser if you get killed Night 0, but a winner if you don't help the town at all and guessed out the scum in your own head.
This is useless banter. As it does not matter. I've told you that what you think is different than what i think. This point would only matter to the game at hand if all players were in agreement with what constitutes winning.

I explained why I felt that winning is different depending on the situation... yes I am a part of the town.. The town wins the game if they eliminate all scum. A
player
wins if, at the end of the game, their suspicions are justifyed.
Strategy, smategy.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Addendum to my last point:

You say: "... but a winner if you don't help the town at all and guessed out the scum in your own head."

This is not true. I've already told you who i think is scum with very good reasoning. You refuse to it into account, because you feel my "emotional" plays are more important/more scummy than what I actually think about the other players in the game.
Strategy, smategy.
W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 am

Post by W!nt3r »

" to take it into" should make a little more sense...
Strategy, smategy.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 3:32 am

Post by Litral »

W!nt3r wrote:
Litral wrote:W!nt3r, you're mixing up personal feelings with a game. We are grateful that you allowed the game to proceed, but to cancel out snafoo's scumniness with appreciation would not be true to the spirit of the game. This is understandable, I believe.
i don't understand this comment.
You're justifying voting yourself and acting entirely anti-town for the last two pages because of a personal feeling: you don't like us, as stated here:
W!nt3r wrote:I disliked the attitude i received when I was kind enough to replace your prime suspect. This caused me to dislike the group. If the group suffers it will justify my dislike. You can still win with your heads cut off.
Essentially I'm saying you can't justify screwing the town because you don't like us.
W!nt3r wrote:You say: "... but a winner if you don't help the town at all and guessed out the scum in your own head."

This is not true. I've already told you who i think is scum with very good reasoning. You refuse to it into account, because you feel my "emotional" plays are more important/more scummy than what I actually think about the other players in the game.
W!nt3r, you yourself said this:
W1nt3r wrote:I really don't care about winning at this point, because if I was part of this town, I would like to see you all run amok like chickens with no heads. And in the end game, when I find out who the other scum was, THAT will be when I decide weather i've won or not.
This comment implies that you think you win if you guessed who the scum is, which is my statement exactly.

I don't agree that the logic is that good anyway. I see your thoughts, I see some good points, I see some bad points. In particular: If you agree with shaka!!'s insight, I shouldn't be the second least likely to be scum after him, I think, because all he's said is against either me or you; the section on q21 is rather flawed to me, some of those arguments are made on the premises that he's town, which is weird; I disagree about SA, I think he's town-ish; and I have far more posts than Muerrto.

I brought up the Townie PM to show you that the official win conditions are different from yours. I do not actually care if you don't accept the official win conditions, I'm just saying you should expect a lot of people to follow the official win conditions and not follow your thoughts. Such as I.
W!nt3r wrote:A player wins if, at the end of the game, their suspicions are justifyed.
W!nt3r wrote:to win as town you have to have outlived the mafia.
Don't those two contradict?

W!nt3r, you should realize that I'm continuing to put pressure on you because I spot a few inconsistencies with your stance. I want those to be sorted out.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 5:06 am

Post by q21 »

Posts by w!nt3r that get nowhere toward making me believe he's town.
W!nt3r wrote:Why i think Muerrto, despite being unhelpful, is not scum: his play through the game. Its the basic IC: suspect everyone, trust no one scheme.

again I'm only going on one full read, and I've been asked questions that I felt needed answering.

"Claiming townie only helps the scum find the power roles (if any). I don't think we've asked snafoo to claim yet. Muerrto is right in that you seem too anxious here. "

This is such a bad and old argument. I'm on the chopping block, I was told i needed a good defense against the replacement vote. Lets see: 7 players and knowing we have only 1 scum left. The odds of a power role being found were big to begin with. 33.3% chance.

IF you know you're not scum, and I was on your suspect list and I'm town. Your list becomes 1:5 You have a 4.4 percent higher chance of finding scum than if you made the presumption that I am scum.

Now with that: 20 % hit scum and 33.3 to hit power

For each confirmed townie you have going into the third and fourth day, each towns person has an increasingly higher chance to recognize who is scum, which they compare to their notes of possible scum.

Should we not hit scum today: and Person X is lynched. You as a towns person have 2/5 confirmed towns. You have a 1/3 chance of hitting scum tomorrow if I am alive. On day four When player Y dies You have, a 100% knowledge of the remaining scum. If its not you, and its not me, its him.

Yes, tonight for 1 night, the last remaining mafia member has a slightly higher chance at hitting a power role. But for 3 days the town's BASE CHANCES, note that this does not at all take into account player skill, BASE CHANCES go up astoundingly.

I just claimed town. You can lynch me, and find that out regardless of how I play or snafoo played. Or you can choose to start weeding out chance as an aspect of this game.

This is why I claimed in my first post.
This works wonderfully if you are in fact town. If you're lying and are scum the whole thing falls on its head.
W!nt3r wrote:
Litral wrote:Self votes do count.

W!nt3r, saying that in a variety of languages without arguments is as convincing of your towniness as saying the sky is bright today. That wasn't Muerrto's point (or at least it isn't my point). The point is, snafoo made himself look scummy, and it carries forward to you.
George W. Bush is a bad leader. Will the next President voted be a bad leader?

I'm telling him that he's using an illogical fallacy as his basis for an attack against me. Its called Genetic Fallacy and is described as:

The genetic fallacy is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context.
Let me correct you metaphor.

George W. Bush is president of the USA. When his term ends whoever takes his place will also be president of the USA.

If you'd come into the game and done some analysis and tried to get someone lynched I might have believed that snafoo's scumminess was down to his being a bad newbie player. Instead you claimed unnecessarily, OMGUS voted Muerrto and cried that we aren't giving you enough space to play instead of playing.

Somewhere in there you did make some points against SA, and if you'd left it at that and tried to lynch him, I'd have been more inclined to blieve you.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 5:12 am

Post by q21 »

And a response to the things he's said against myself.
W!nt3r wrote:... stuff about other players...

Q21 has been very hard for me to read. through both reads i caught a lot of ambiguous comments that could have been noobish or scum-underbelly. THings such as:
I've mentioned 4 people: Walnut, Mike, snafoo and (on outside chance) Litral. If there's no scum among those 4 I'd be astounded.
This comment, coupled with a vote for walnut, looks like track covering. "Yes i think this person is scum and we should lynch him, but if he's not these are my other choices." Preemptive defending against the obvious mislynch that would be Walnut. also: Q in as his first comment on the game says
FoS: Mike as lurkerscum.
But his first vote is for Walnut, a player who, up until that point, and who did not appear on Q's first list of suspects and was very open and genuine about his Noob status almost to the point of ignorance.

... more about other people...
You do realise the context of the posts you've quoted, yes? I had just replaced into the game. It was not preemtive defending it was offering my opinion on what had happened in the game up until the point where I joined. Also walnut was first on that scum list of mine which you quoted. How was anything ambiguous?
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 6:15 am

Post by Muerrto »

Vote: Winter

for the survivor crap. If you don't like mafia, don't play. What you're playing isn't mafia and I much prefer mafia. I thought you'd gotten better, I was wrong...

Hammer him now before I start going off again. Oh well, wasted day(assuming he's town) but playing only for himself is selfish, childish, and against the spirit of the game.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

W!nt3r
W!nt3r
Goon
W!nt3r
Goon
Goon

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 6:20 am

Post by W!nt3r »

Ok.
Strategy, smategy.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”