Newbie 612: Cancelled due to mod error

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 am

Post by strappado »

Hi all! Can someone tell me how to do that dice roll thing?
http://strappado.mybrute.com
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Thu May 15, 2008 12:37 am

Post by strappado »

Original Roll String: 1d9
1 9-Sided Dice: (6) = 6
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (isolation #2) » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 am

Post by strappado »

Thanks James! dice say
vote: Dean
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 am

Post by strappado »

Oops, actually they say vote babygirl, I thought I'd rolled a 5. Nevermind, now I look like a tard.
unvote
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (isolation #4) » Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 am

Post by strappado »

pmchugh wrote:I think this random dice thing is more scummy than just normal random voting. Its like you are trying to avoid connecting yourself with anyone and stop yourselves making slip ups. It also makes you look like you are trying to point out that your vote was properly random. Only scum are frightnened in these ways.

FOS anyone who used dice to vote.

unvote vote strappado
, for trying to vote this way and failing :lol:
I've read through a few games and saw people using the dice and I thought it was a nifty tool, but after your post I decided to look it up in mafiawiki
Mafia Wiki wrote:Since its introduction, one use of the tag has been to choose a target for a random vote at the beginning of a game. Recently, it has become objectionable to some Scummers to do this, because it destroys any purpose or analysis on the "random" vote by assuring that it is 100% meaningless.

Well, I'll be. Nevermind then, I wont use it.
I'll random
vote: Brandi
for changing her random vote to a "love vote" and solemnly swear to never again use the "dice" feature when random voting.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (isolation #5) » Thu May 15, 2008 8:01 am

Post by strappado »

yes, it was an OMGUS...because badgers are not adorable goshdarnit! They are ferocious, unrelenting and fearsome...I will not have my avatar reduced to a cuddly play-toy. :P
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #6) » Thu May 15, 2008 8:32 am

Post by strappado »

Also, I think Brandi and pmchugh are both correct. Certainly not all of the people that used the random dice thing are scum. I just wanted to try it because I saw the big kids (IC's) in other games doing it and thought it was cool, and James just did it to show me how, and babygirl probably just did it to give it a testdrive. I dont think there's any scumminess to be gathered from it in
this
game, but after hearing pmchugh's argument and reading MafiaWiki, I can see how the dice roll reduces the amount of info that can be gathered from day1 so semi-random votes are probably more beneficial to the town than actual random votes.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (isolation #7) » Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 am

Post by strappado »

FoS: TartarianCerberus
for putting me at L-2
I think we're all agreed on the dice roll thing. I dont know if I will think in future games that someone is scummy for using it, but I think it does take away some info that can be gained during the random stage, and town needs all the info they can get. Does anyone think a "love" vote takes away information that can be gained, or can that be just as useful later on?
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (isolation #8) » Fri May 16, 2008 6:08 am

Post by strappado »

strappado wrote:badgers are not adorable goshdarnit! They are ferocious, unrelenting and fearsome...I will not have my avatar reduced to a cuddly play-toy. :P
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (isolation #9) » Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 am

Post by strappado »

you're right W!int3r,
we
didn't agree on anything seeing as this is only your 2nd post and you never threw in your 2 cents on the subject.

But I got the feeling from those of us that
did
discuss it that we felt similarly: diceroll is not much of a scumtell, but it's also not a good idea for town as it detracts from the information that can be gained from day1. I got that feeling from these posts in particular
Brandi wrote:Anyone could decide to use a dice and not just because they are 'frightened scum.' Their reasonings could be as arbitrary as the dice themselves.
JamesthePhox wrote:I also think dice rolling is also a way for any player to prevent early game metas. So it may be a personal habit rather than a role-based habit.
pmchugh wrote:I didnt mean that everyone who uses it is scum, I merely meant that using it is helpful to scum and that if you wanted to avoid slipping up then doing this would be a good idea.
It's up to interpretation what they meant, but the general feeling I got was "not much of a tell, but not a good idea to do either"

W!nt3r wrote:The town collective group never said: It is ok to use dice as a form of determining our initial, random votes. FoS Strappado for basic misrepresentation.
misrepresentation? I think you are the one that is misrepresenting me. Could you please point out where I said that the group decided "it was ok to use dice as a form of determining our initial, random votes?" I think everything I've said has been to the opposite.

I'm at L-2, you FoS and unvote whoever you were voting... prepping yourself for a quickhammer if the opportunity arises?
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (isolation #10) » Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 am

Post by strappado »

and you're right, it appears we are out of the random voting stage, so
unvote
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (isolation #11) » Fri May 16, 2008 9:43 am

Post by strappado »

W!nt3r wrote:To discuss a point would imply that one means to prepare specific points on a subject and procure a dialog on said subject via multiple posts supporting one's point, or countering another's post...
that may be your personal definition, but...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discussion
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary wrote:Main Entry: dis·cus·sion
Pronunciation: \di-ˈskə-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate
Also, I was not representing what you were doing, I was asking if that was your intention, and I dont see anything hilarious about asking a player if they may be jumping on a convenient bandwagon a little too early.

Also, conjecturing about why I haven't been hammered within the first 2 pages of day1 is WIFOM and illogical. I welcome the scum to quick lynch me, we could start day2 knowing both scum right off the bat. Not sure if we'll be that lucky, but IGMEOY
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (isolation #12) » Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 am

Post by strappado »

I'll grant you that "discussion" may not be the best word for the quoted posts, but I'll call it discussion for lack of a better word. Would anyone like to suggest what that was? Casual discourse? Conjecturing?
You ignored what I said and went for word usage instead. Would you care to address
what
I said and not
how
I said it?
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (isolation #13) » Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 am

Post by strappado »

I can appreciate that W!nt3r was just trying to push for reactions, that is a good way to find scum and pro-town in nature. I
would
like clarification on whether he just misunderstood what I said or if he deliberately falsified to get a reaction.

He said:
we didn't agree on anything. The town collective group never said: It is ok to use dice as a form of determining our initial, random votes.

Did you think that I said that diceroll was ok to use or did you deliberately falsify to get a reaction?

Also, j-man's posts were kind of on the fence, I couldn't get a read as to how he felt either way, do you have a feeling either way? Have you noticed anything scummy?

Also, TartarianCereberus has remained really mute during this whole time. I know he's reading because he came in to undo his random vote once we moved from the random voting stage, but I haven't heard anything else from him, same questions to him that I directed at j-man.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (isolation #14) » Sun May 18, 2008 4:15 am

Post by strappado »

Wow, good posting, I've got lots to re-read. I'm not very active on the weekends, I typically use these games as an amusement during a boring work week. I'll read through what I missed and probably post on tuesday or wednesday (I'm off Monday, wheeeeeee!)

James, sorry to lose you, I had fun playing with you in our last game together :(
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (isolation #15) » Tue May 20, 2008 1:08 am

Post by strappado »

Wow!!! You guys are moving like greased lightening, I've never missed so much in a game over one weekend, good god. I just got back to work and I've got a PILE of paperwork to get through, so obviously, I'd much rather play mafiascum :P

Just on a quick skim, I dont like J-man's post where he says something like "go ahead and kill me, I dont care" seems like reverse psychology at worst, just an uncaring townie at best, either way, I dont like that kind of attitude.
I also don't like TartarianCereberus' personal attacks, no reason to call someone an idiot or question their ability to speak english, I understood what J-man was saying, I may not have 100% agreed or liked it, but I understood...and TartarianCereberus said we should lynch him
because
he might be an idiot or not speak english well? Those aren't good reasons at all. Good solid posting from Brandi, she's totally OWNING this thread :lol:
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #16) » Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 am

Post by strappado »

Sorry for the long post guys, but I missed ALOT and I'm trying to catch up. I'm just reading through and jotting down my thoughts as I go.

It almost makes me sick to go back to this, it's such a dead and bludgeoned horse, but I dont want to leave anything unaddressed if I can help it...
W!nt3r wrote:I was under the impression you were implying that the consensus was that dice were okay ... If this is not the case, the statement is formally retracted.
"okay" is kind of a vague word, and one that I never used. If by ok, you mean "not much of a scum-tell, then yes, I said it was ok...but if by "okay" you mean a good idea for town to use, then no, I never said that, I said the opposite.

Also, I appreciate that you have an amazing vocabulary, but this may not be the best arena for it. One of the smartest men I've ever known was a vegetarian for a while, but he ate fish. The actual word for what he was is a "Pescatarian"...he knew that was the word, but not many other people know it, so when asked, he'd say he was a "fish-a-matarian" ... it may not be the correct term for it, but people understood. While he has a pretty decent vocabulary, he's smart enough to know that if people dont understand you and need to keep a pocket dictionary with them when speaking with you, then you aren't being an effective communicator. Also, town has an invested interest in being understood, scum could very easily try to "talk over us", make us feel stupid for having to ask what each word means until we stop asking and start nodding and smiling, and before we know it, you've got us right where you want us. Long story short...dumb it down a bit for us regular folk, eh?

Then TartarianCereberus brought up that he and W!nt3r were scum previously, that's probably information that was best kept to himself. Tartarian has just as much chance of being scum again as W!nt3r does, the roles are given out completely randomly. It's useless information, but it could plant the seed in some peoples minds which is bad since it's groundless. I dont think it was a particularly scummy thing to say, but definitely not good play.

@J-man: when you said this:
J-man wrote:Oh and if you don't like the way of my play kill me, but I'll tell you this I am no more careful townie or scum, I generally like to post without knowing my alignment.
did you mean that you haven't read your allignment? ...or you try to forget it?

@TartarianCereberus: you unvote W!nt3r and vote J-man without stating any reasons, and when asked for reasons you say you aren't trying to bandwagon, j-man just seems more scummy...why does he seem more scummy?

Post 132, Brandi gives TC and excuse for not saying much, because he's new. I think that's plausible, I was pretty quiet in the beginning of my first day, couldn't think of anything to say and with all the wild FoS's being thrown around, I was semi-scared to say anything. I dont think we should give him any excuses though, he needs to come out of his shell at some point.
Also, Brandi calls babygirl out for not posting. I'm not giving her an excuse, but I have some meta info on her. I played a game with her and she didn't post very often, and when she did it was just a short paragraph, one of the IC's meta'd her on another site she plays Mafia on and she played similarly there as town or scum. It's just her style. She was town in the game I played in with her, and if I remember correctly she came out of left field and hammered the scum the last day and won the game for us. I think she pays attention and has a good sense of the game, I would definitely like to hear more from her though.

Ignore my question directed at Tartarian, he answers it in Post 133 and says he was having server problems...understood. I dont like the post though, you personally attack j-man saying he's either an idiot, someone who can't speak English very well or scum. IMO personal attacks are pretty scummy. It's not a nice tactic to use (and this is just a game so we should be semi-nice), but it also shows that you dont have much else to say. It's like using curse words, usually people use them because they dont have the vocabulary to properly express themselves, it's like a crutch. It seems you're using personal attacks as a crutch because you have no real "case". You said you were "partially" joking, but no excuse.
I do semi-agree with TartarianCereberus' reading of j-man's post saying it seems he was "Defending W!nt3r" a little too hard - although I didn't see it as "defending" so much as buddying up. J-man's glowing review of W!nt3rs posting (saying he set himself up as a "powerful player", did a good move, put himself in a good place, and made himself "important") sounds like major ego-stroking/buddying up which is typically a scum move. W!nt3r has been shown to be a pretty decent player, he's verbose and forceful, a force to be reckoned with, you definitely wouldn't want to be on his bad side, so it would be a smart move for scum to buddy up with him early on. Stroking his ego would probably be a great way of doing that.

And disregard my question to J-man about whether he reads his allignment or not, he answered that in post 134. Understood.

TartarianCereberus and J-man are probably at the top of my scum list. I'm not near confident of my read on either of them to vote just yet, and we have plenty of time, so I see no reason to rush. I'm not sure what I think about W!nt3r, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just misunderstood me, but I'm still keeping my eye on him.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #159 (isolation #17) » Thu May 22, 2008 3:10 am

Post by strappado »

My personal top 3 scumspects are j-man, Tartarian & W!nt3r (as previously stated, and pretty much in that order). Those three and their interactions just keep pinging the scumdar. I'm not sure which one I feel more confident on, I'm going to have to re-read and probably keep re-reading, and there's a LOT to read. At this point, I feel more confident on j-man because of his "Just kill me" lack of caring attitude (reverse psychology?), and his strong W!nt3r ego-stroke/buddying up. It seemd to me that the whole intent of that post was to stroke W!nt3r's ego, and the last bit of "but maybe he's scum <shrug>" just seemed like an ackwardly tacked on bit just to make it seem like a real substance post rather than an "Oh my god W!nt3r, you're so awesome and powerful, have you lost weight? You look great in green, it brings out your eyes" kinda post.
Brandi's post kind of tore me in different directions, she seems to have a very analytical mind and she pointed out things and put things together that I hadn't honestly noticed. I dont know if that's because they aren't there, or because I just didn't notice them, I'm going to have to read through the actual posts and see what I feel there.

for now,
Fos J-man
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (isolation #18) » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 am

Post by strappado »

NO, I AM SPARTACUS!

OMG...so we have 3+ cops? I feel bad for the poor SOB's that got the mafia roles :lol:

Either Norinel made an oopsy, or we have two scum fake claiming... is there another possibility I'm missing?
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (isolation #19) » Thu May 22, 2008 7:27 am

Post by strappado »

Woah, maybe we could wait until Norinel responds?

I'm not comfortable with a rush lynch, the possibility (to me) remains that he's actually the cop.

I'm waiting to hear from Norinel. Just a "no mistakes were made" post would suffice...or a "mistakes were made, roles will be re-re-shuffled" post.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (isolation #20) » Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 am

Post by strappado »

Mod's are humans, they make mistakes just like we do. I can't think of any reason why both scum would fake claim. And I can't think of any reason to push a quick lynch of a claimed cop except scummy reasons.

Let's just wait this one out, see what the mod says, and go from there. If he really did oopsy, then there's no reason to vote because it wont count, I'm pretty sure he'd have to end the game and reshuffle roles or something. If he didn't oopsy, then I think we owe it to j-man and the other two to actually review and make a decision as a town on who seems more believable.
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #233 (isolation #21) » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Post by strappado »

You guys suck. I was at work ALL FREAKING DAY bored out of my mind and checking this thread like a bajillion times and begging for people to post...and I get home, eat some dinner, watch some lost, nuggle with my man and my poochums, and come back to 3 pages of chatroom-esque discussion and excitement. You couldn't have done this earlier?!?!?

Yes, it's true, I'm Spartacus. This game is bunk, I'm not posting any content until the mod comes back.

Which scummy would this be nominated for?
strappado
strappado
Goon
strappado
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (isolation #22) » Fri May 23, 2008 1:24 am

Post by strappado »

thank goodness, I really didn't want to be mafia, yuck!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”