Newbie 588 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Wed May 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Post by The World No.1 Noob »

Great an active player! I'm not sure what to run off right now I may be unvoting but not untill I get some real info out of Gobo. Now that I'm seeing some real scum hunting we can get moving. I'll post back asap probably tomorrow. Good to have you Mokina, your looking to be the most useful player around!
Grum, a lot of people have their fingers pointed towards you right now, shouldn't you be explaining yourself?

Dave hasn't posted as usual, but the thing is if he was a scum that was lurking wouldn't he want to start posting when people are suspicous of him?

Official Vote Count

Abstract Actuary - 1 (goborage)
Grum - 2 (shaka!!, camisade)

The World No.1 Noob - 1 (Dave)
goborage - 1 (Grum)

Not Voting - 3 (Abstract Actuary, Mokina, The World No.1 Noob)

5 to Lynch
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
camisade
camisade
Goon
camisade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Thu May 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Post by camisade »

goborage wrote: Anyways you definitely call some of Camisade's actions into question. There's post 169 where Camisade defends Dave and then there's post 195 where Dave is the second most suspicious. I'm curious as to how Dave went from defensible to suspicious within 30 posts.
I said that I agreed that Dave popped in when his name was called, and I said that saying awesome after something like a no NK isn't scummy. Then I said that Dave has already slipped into the background. The 1st & 3rd parts aren't really defending him at all, more accusatory than defensive really. I've always thought Dave's lurking was suspicious.
[/quote]
goborage wrote: @ Camisade: Could you explain the reasoning behind your list in post 195? Has your list changed since then?
Everyone in my mind is sort of a jumble except for my two scummiest players:

Dave: Constantly lurking, never really commits to an opinion. Needs to post more.
Grum: Constantly complains about other people scumhunting, never scumhunts himself, complains that no scum have been caught. Need I say more?
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzz, activity levels gone down again. Well it is Friday I guess.
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
Grum
Grum
Goon
Grum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sat May 10, 2008 5:04 am

Post by Grum »

Whats to say I've been trying to scum hunt but the best we come up with is lists of suspects and no real pushes I tryed to push with a vote but that did nothing and you call that not scum hunting. and what complaining are you talking about closest I remember saying is that (the obvious) no scum have been caught, and activity is down does that make #1 noob suspicious for the last post he just made? I don't know how to defend my self for trying to do what I know what to do as little as it is. If I could get to know what I was doing then I could be of more use but this is a newb game... isn't it? I'm not an expert clearly but I feel a whole brick load of bandwagon just hit me...
At all times I are confusing... Is my hobby..
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon
Location: Moe's Tavern Occupation: Bartender, Part-time Scumhunter

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sat May 10, 2008 6:51 am

Post by goborage »

Grum you should probably read some of the other games on the site. Maybe then you'll understand what scum-hunting is. BTW It's not uncommon for games to go 15 pages without a lynch. In fact I think general consensus is that the more conversation, the more likely town will get catch scum.

Mod: Can we get a prod for shaka!! and Dave?
Well if you're so sure what it ain't, how about tellin' us what it am!
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sat May 10, 2008 10:46 am

Post by Mokina »

goborage wrote:In fact I think general consensus is that the more conversation, the more likely town will get catch scum.
Absolutely right. The flip side of that is that bandwagons are a surefire way to generate discussion, so I'm definitely one of those people who sees them as "a necessary evil." Here are a few talking points that might affect my next vote:

Dave, is there any reason other than the Mafiamurkrow hammer to implicate No.1 Noob?

Shaka and Camisade, do you have any compelling evidence to suggest that Grum is acting scummy rather than just new-town?

Grum, what's your justification for voting against Goborage? He's clearly been doing some intense scumhunting, and as far as I'm concerned that's our best course of action at this point.
"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dave
Dave
Townie
Dave
Townie
Townie

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Post by Dave »

Mokina wrote:
Dave, is there any reason other than the Mafiamurkrow hammer to implicate No.1 Noob?
No there is not, I posted my reasons, and that is all I have on him
Dave Has Gone; he won't be returning either.
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 4:52 pm

I don't have much to say to defend myself for my hammer, I can only admit it was a mistake. But why do you choose to ignore what's happened between the end of day 1 up to now? You seem only to post when someone asks you a question directly so I'm going to put everyone's suspicions about you into a question. Why have you been lurking and fading into the background? Why do you only seem to post enough to not get prodded?
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
shaka!!
shaka!!
Goon
shaka!!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Post by shaka!! »

Sorry about my absence. Unexpectedly eventful weekend.

Continuing my reread, there really isn't much to comment on. But I definitely will do so when I find something.

Post 125 by Grum is no good, I hate the role hunting. Even if he was subconsciously claiming the doc if you were town you wouldn't want to point this out because it gives scum help with their night kills.

Post 131 by Noob - docs can't self protect.

Grum appeals to emotion in post 134. Not good.
FOS: Grum.
He was hardly being attacked and pulled out a pretty much completely unprovoked appeal to emotion post.

I don't like post 138 by Noob, not because I think it is scummy, but because there is nothing wrong with aggressiveness and nothing is stopping someone who is defending themselves from attacking someone else except laziness.

I don't like post 142 by Gobo, he is asking everyone to make a scum list. Scum lists help scum a hell of a lot with their night kill choices.
FOS: Gobo.

I like post 146 by Roland :lol: I agree with his suspicions of Grum, but don't see how he founded the rest of his list.

Post 148, /smacksface.

Again, don't like post 150 by Gobo. Reasons already stated.

Post 155 by Dave is killing me, I hope he follows through.

Have no idea what Grum is going on about in post 159. More unprovoked appeal to emotions?

Hating 163-165 by Noob, give us some reasonings please!?

Post 157 by Noob is an improvement but not much, he is just following everyones lead and saying what they said.

Post 179 by Dave is a relief, but it's also scummy. He lurks the whole game and then brings up a case on the easiest target for scum.
FOS: Dave.
There was plenty more to comment on, like Grums actions, or AA and Godos debate, despite all that he chose the easiest target to pick on.

/slams face into desk after reading post 191 by Dave.

Agrees with Gobo on post 204. But not the whole not playing newbie games anymore part. Post 203 by Gobo was terrible, I have no idea where he got any of his ideas from. That post alone makes me want to lynch him :\

Post 206 is good, so is 208.

I like post 223 by Noob. It looks like an honest (town) effort to encourage discussion. The difference between noob scum (Grum) and noob town (Noob) is posts like this.

Post 228 by Grum, not good. Another appeal to emotion.

Post 223 by Mokini, yay an active replacement /hypocrite. It's good to know that he is reading the thread, but honestly, less story telling and more suspicion explain would be nice.

Post 246 is good by Mokini, but again I hate scum lists. They give scum lots of information to make their night kills on.

Loving
post 250 by Noob!

Ok that's mostly what I thought as reading the thread.

Also for the AA vs Gobo issue, I'm having a hard time deciding who to go with because I agree with some points made by AA and agree with some points made by Gobo. On a completely random note I fucking love the name Gobo. Gobo Gobo Gobo!

After completing the reread, I've decided that an
unvote: vote: Dave
is required.

That is not a pressure vote. That is not a prod either. However, that
is
an I think he is scum actively lurking only posting every 5 days to avoid fulling his inbox with prods from the mod.

Right after Dave is Grum, if anyone isn't bothered reading over this post to find out why, I can sum it up one another post for you. But I can't right now, I must be off to bed.
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 6:42 am

Post by goborage »

shaka!! wrote:I don't like post 142 by Gobo, he is asking everyone to make a scum list. Scum lists help scum a hell of a lot with their night kill choices. FOS: Gobo.
I don't agree. Scum start off more informed than town, so it doesn't help them all that much. On the other hand, town gains info from these lists such as buddying attempts, distancing and player mentality.
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 6:55 am

Post by Abstract Actuary »

goborage wrote:
shaka!! wrote:I don't like post 142 by Gobo, he is asking everyone to make a scum list. Scum lists help scum a hell of a lot with their night kill choices. FOS: Gobo.
I don't agree. Scum start off more informed than town, so it doesn't help them all that much. On the other hand, town gains info from these lists such as buddying attempts, distancing and player mentality.
I'm torn on this issue. I always think it is fine to list 1-3 top suspects, no problems there. My problem comes with complete lists. At first I was very against it.

Take this example from a simplified world: we all make a list ranking every single player. Player X is at the bottom of every single list. Scum will nightkill Player X since he will never be suspected or killed by the town.

As I play more I'm becoming more and more okay with the lists. The main benefit of the lists, in my opinion, is looking back at the lists that the scum made after they are uncovered. Also, I think the Doctor and other town power roles lessens the likelihood of scum using the lists to choose their night victims. At the very least it makes killing Player X a little risky, because of a possible Doctor protection.
Grum
Grum
Goon
Grum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Grum »

Alright I'm back from my weekend. Your all right about my mistake on assuming the doc and cop roles. I thought that might get us some where.

I'm going to look over some games this week to see the scum hunting going on. My problem is that a good player could act like their scum hunting very well to make them less suspicious. It's true that I haven't done well. And yes I know its all very emotional sounding but what ever its how I write, I am human after all and new to this.

Gobo seems to act well if hes scum. his pressure was frustrating me but you all make good points to say its not necessarily scummy so
unvote

I still have my suspicion of him but my concern is dave.

Is it just your activity at work or school dave? whats with the lurking?

Right now I'm just going to watch how you play and try to keep up. NO this doesn't mean I'll lurk, I'll just keep opinions to myself till timing is right, that is to say from this post on.
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 pm

I really don't think work or school is an excuse...I have to go to school
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2008 4:54 am

Post by Mokina »

Thanks for the PBPA, Shaka... other players would do well to look at that. It seems like a fairly good example of how things should be done.

Grum's most recent post makes him look very new-town. An interesting development, considering how scummy he was acting earlier on. Then again, Grum's newfound love of scumhunting may just be a front as he learns to blend in with the town. Time will tell.

Dave, an explanation for your lurking might be in order... I hate to have to jump on RL issues (hey, my laptop power cord just died so I'm feeling it too) but we'd like a little more contribution from you.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Grum
Grum
Goon
Grum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Wed May 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Post by Grum »

activity is being bi-polar again I see... no new insights from anyone?
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by Mokina »

Vote: Dave

Obvious lack of contribution to the town. The only significant post he's ever made was a vote for Noob, and that feels incredibly opportunistic to me. There were all sorts of things Dave could have been going after, but instead he simply starts a wagon on the person who hammered Mafiamurkrow.

Scummy.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm

I hope he looks at this soon so he can actually defend himself,
mod can you prod Dave please
[/b]
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Wed May 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Post by goborage »

Hey AA, I haven't attacked you in a while...so where's the scumhunting?
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 am

Post by Abstract Actuary »

goborage wrote:Hey AA, I haven't attacked you in a while...so where's the scumhunting?
In the process of a detailed reread. Where's your recent scumhunting?
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2008 6:00 am

Post by Mokina »

The World No.1 Noob wrote:I hope he looks at this soon so he can actually defend himself,
mod can you prod Dave please
He's always responded to prods, so I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of an absence or anything. There's nothing more scummy than an "active lurker" and Dave is one of them.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I think he's purposely not posting to make it seem like he's actually away instead of lurking
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
Grum
Grum
Goon
Grum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Fri May 16, 2008 11:12 am

Post by Grum »

No, hes straight up lurking and I've been hoping he would stop if he was newb town... hes looking very scummy but I'm not looking forward to another day 1. So I'm holding off just now but hes the number 1 scummiest right next to me... wait...
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 am

Post by Mokina »

When Newbie 588 players do suspicion lists, Dave tends to appear on them as "little or no reading," meaning that the list's creator has absolutely no information on him. This is because he never scumhunts, effectively never aiding the town.

It's fairly likely that No. 1 Noob is protown. He's certainly not acting antitown, and his hammer of Mafiamurkrow was a perfectly legit move, made out of an honest misunderstanding for the conventions of Mafiascum.

Dave attempted to take advantage of Noob's inexperience through the following post:
Dave wrote:@ No.1Noob He placed the hammer yesterday without waiting for a roleclaim of Mafiamurkrow. He then roleclaimed when Grum pointed out after the lynch that he would of liked Mafiamurkrow to claim. Also Abstract Actuary pointed out in post 87 that he wanted a role claim too, so this means either No.1Noob did not read that carefully enough or wanted to place the hammer quickly and get a lynch in before Mafiamurkrow could claim, and some people could possibly unvote. This makes me think he is scum. Regarding him claiming, I think he does know that it was Mafiamurkrow that needed to claim, but he wanted to claim to clear himself if he came under scrutiny later in the game and say that it was a noob mistake.

Vote No.1 Noob

I will re read the thread and make a list when I get a spare 20 minutes. :P
What really pushed it over the edge, though, was this one:
Dave wrote:We need to pick up activity in this thread.
In other words, he wants people to jump on his Noob wagon.

How can Dave, someone who actively makes a habit of not posting, suggest that we pick up activity? He's the primary offender in that realm, and it makes me slightly worried that he's trying to catalyze town conversation without contributing to it himself. Maybe Dave has made an honest mistake too, but I supremely doubt it.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Mokina »

P.S. Dave never made the list he promised in the anti-Noob post. So much for that.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Fri May 16, 2008 6:43 pm

is our mod here? its been 2 days since I asked for prod request
marksiqiwang