armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Post by armlx »

TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:Why would we be lynching cream? It seems like the rationale was "if cream is town, we can revive him." That's no reason to stop hunting scum.
Mainly because he attacked Gimbo early for more or less being the easy wagon.

Mod edit:
Visible votecount:
farside22 (3): TheSweatpantsNinja, iamausername, Gimbo
Cream147 (3): armlx, Phoebus, Alabaska J
TheSweatpantsNinja (2): sideney, Riceballtail
Xtoxm (2): DragonsofSummer, alvinz95
populartajo (1): farside22
Alabaska J (1): populartajo
somestrangeflea (1): Dead Rikimaru
armlx (1): killa seven
Gimbo (1): somestrangeflea

Not voting (9): Xtoxm, Surye, MafiaSSK, Pepsidude, Cream147, FaerieLord, Celebloki, mr. incrediball, Rogue Shenanigans

With 24 alive it takes 13 real votes to lynch.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

Still here,
Catching up soon.
[i]"Dead Rikimaru is... well, dead. When the lights came back on, he was found turned inside-out, somehow. Disgusting, really. Anyway, he was "Dead Dead Rikimaru" (Self-fulfilling Prophecy)".
-The Scummies 2006 - Red Carpet and Ceremony![/i]
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 am

Post by iamausername »

farside22 wrote:You are an idiot if you are reading the whole thing I'm talking about the chances of finding scum using TSN idea.
...which you can't tell unless you know how many scum there are.

If I'm wrong, please explain how you reached your '1 in 5' figure without knowing this.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:18 am

Post by armlx »

If I'm wrong, please explain how you reached your '1 in 5' figure without knowing this.
This is rarely a valid argument unless the estimate is way off the standard 1/4 estimate.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:42 am

Post by farside22 »

Your right on one point TSPN you voted against me when I said it was a bad idea.
TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:We should wait until tomorrow? You mean so your scumbuddies can talk about it a little?

Unvote, vote farside.

Nothing is going to change from today to tomorrow, except we as a town will have less coins in our possession, and scum will have more.
I didn't lie, get over yourself.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 am

Post by farside22 »

iamausername wrote:
farside22 wrote:You are an idiot if you are reading the whole thing I'm talking about the chances of finding scum using TSN idea.
...which you can't tell unless you know how many scum there are.

Did you read the f@#$ing post?! Do you not understand odds of finding people with the investigation? Seriously!

4 investigators 23 people left alive. 4 people looking into 4 other people. It is approx 1 out of 5 chance of finding scum with those odds. Where the (bleep) are you getting I know there are 5 scum from my post?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 am

Post by iamausername »

farside22 wrote:4 investigators 23 people left alive. 4 people looking into 4 other people. It is approx 1 out of 5 chance of finding scum with those odds.
This is not an explanation. I want to know how you reached the conclusion that the odds are 1 in 5.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 am

Post by iamausername »

farside22 wrote:Where the (bleep) are you getting I know there are 5 scum from my post?
Oh, five, is it? I thought the 1 in 5 figure just applied to the 20 that might be investigated, so I thought it was four, thanks for clearing that up.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 am

Post by farside22 »

iamausername wrote:
farside22 wrote:4 investigators 23 people left alive. 4 people looking into 4 other people. It is approx 1 out of 5 chance of finding scum with those odds.
This is not an explanation. I want to know how you reached the conclusion that the odds are 1 in 5.
Math. DO THE MATH.
4 players we deem town worthy 4-23 players = 19 people left to investigate. 4 divided by 19 is approx 1 out of 5 chances of finding scum. I may have divided that by 24 players at the time and forgot to include the person to be lynched day one. 4-24=20 20 divided by 4 equals 5 yes. :roll:
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:10 am

Post by iamausername »

farside22 wrote:
4 players we deem town worthy 4-23 players = 19 people left to investigate.
Yes, I get this part.
farside22 wrote:4 divided by 19 is approx 1 out of 5 chances of finding scum.
What are you talking about? How does dividing the number of investigators by the number of targets tell you the chances of finding scum?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 am

Post by farside22 »

iamausername wrote:
farside22 wrote:
4 players we deem town worthy 4-23 players = 19 people left to investigate.
Yes, I get this part.
farside22 wrote:4 divided by 19 is approx 1 out of 5 chances of finding scum.
What are you talking about? How does dividing the number of investigators by the number of targets tell you the chances of finding scum?
It's the odds of finding a scum. With 20 people to investigate you have a 1 out of 5 chance of finding scum with 4 players looking. Can anyone explain it to this guy. I know I'm making sense and obviously he never heard of odds before. Obviously not a betting man.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 am

Post by iamausername »

farside22 wrote:It's the odds of finding a scum.
It's really not. The chances of finding scum depend on the number of scum in that 19 person group. I don't think that's a particularly outlandish concept.

Anyway, this 1/5 you've conjured up just appears to be complete nonsense and not a scum slip, so I'm going to
Unvote
mr. incrediball
mr. incrediball
Goon
mr. incrediball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:50 am

Post by mr. incrediball »

farside, the odds of finding scum almost completely depend on how many scum there are.

anyway, so, so far:
at first, i thought rogue meant to be reffering to TSPN in the post where he unvoted, and got him confused with cream.

however, the fact that rogue didn't say that's what happened when everyone started getting suspicious of him leaves me... confused, to say the least.

p.s: everyone needs to get David Tennant avatars, just to annoy gimbo. ;)
Show
i'm this good at mafia:

wins: none so far (on this site, anyway)

losses: open 72 (as a townie) :(
Cream147
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:29 am

Post by Cream147 »

Alabaska J wrote:I'm still totally an utterly shocked Cream is still alive and we aren't in night.
I am totally and utterly shocked that you are totally and utterly shocked about this. Seriously, no one has made a half-decent case against me yet. Apparently I attacked someone for being the easy wagon. I actually voted them because of reasons stated in somestrangeflea's post but didn't wish to go to the trouble of saying them all again.
[u]Apologies[/u]
I abandoned this place out of stress about 6 months ago. I let a lot of people down in doing so. I am starting afresh, I will not join more than 2 games at a time and I will definitely not be modding a game in the foreseeable future.
Gimbo
Gimbo
Goon
Gimbo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:51 am

Post by Gimbo »

^ Cream, I don't find anything scummy about you.

On the other hand, it seems like farside is getting defensive and using tautology to convince others. She still hasn't expalined the 1/5 probability yet....
Show
Ongoing Games:

Mini 632 OOTS Mafia
Really Bad Idea Mafia
Mushroom Kingdom Mafia
Open 79 Nightless Vanilla
Mini 634 The Baron's Court
Mini 625 Essential Liberties Mafia
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:18 am

Post by iamausername »

iamausername wrote:I'm going to
Unvote
Oh yeah, and
Vote: TheSweatpantsNinja
again.
Cream147
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:28 am

Post by Cream147 »

I've just been reading and rereading farside in this page. I'm very good at maths. It is a definite strong point of mine. You seem to be pulling numbers out of thin air though. You cannot tell the odds of finding scum without knowing the amount of scum there are.

Let's do some real maths. Armlx says that the standard is about 1/4 is scum (or at least I think that was what he was saying), so in a 24 player setup, that's 6. If we take 4 town players out of the equation, plus another player out because of the lynch (we'll say that player is town) then that's 19 players to choose from, 6 of who are scum. So, each investigation has slightly less than a 1/3 chance of hitting scum. With 4 investigations, that makes it likely that at least 1 scum will be found with 4 investigations.

I think, to figure out the exact probability, you would do 2/3 (the chance of investigation not hitting scum) to the power of 4 (the amount of investigations). This amounts do roughly 0.2. The probability of actually getting an investigation that hits the scum then, is 1-0.2=0.8. 80%. 4/5. Whatever. That's the chance of hitting scum.

Of course, that there makes a lot of assumptions like we won't give an investigation to a scum player and that there are 6 scum. If either of those assumptions is wrong, that changes the whole odds and so my calculations should be taken with a pinch of salt.
[u]Apologies[/u]
I abandoned this place out of stress about 6 months ago. I let a lot of people down in doing so. I am starting afresh, I will not join more than 2 games at a time and I will definitely not be modding a game in the foreseeable future.
TheSweatpantsNinja
TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
TheSweatpantsNinja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:48 am

Post by TheSweatpantsNinja »

ALSO, CONFIRMED INNOCENTS ARE REALLY GOOD. Christ.

Farside: I didn't vote for you because you disagreed, I voted for you
because you said we should wait until tomorrow.
Which is a bad idea because the differences between today and tomorrow are:

A. Scum will have time to talk and figure out what their coin claims will be.

B. There is going to be more scum relative to town (because of nightkills)

C. Scum, via nightkills, will hold more coins than however many they have today.

Also, farside, this is what you said:
farside wrote: What is rubbing me wrong with TSN is that he
FOS's anyone
that disagrees with him. I showed the numbers on why I felt the odds of coin pooling was bad and he still wanted to go along with it. I think he is nuts, but not scummy.
See, that's what you said. I was quoting you. And its not true. So either you're being uncommonly inattentive, or you were lying. I'll accept either explanation.
Alabaska J
Alabaska J
Title Arbitrairy
Alabaska J
Title Arbitrairy
Title Arbitrairy

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:53 am

Post by Alabaska J »

Cream147 wrote:
Alabaska J wrote:I'm still totally an utterly shocked Cream is still alive and we aren't in night.
I am totally and utterly shocked that you are totally and utterly shocked about this. Seriously, no one has made a half-decent case against me yet. Apparently I attacked someone for being the easy wagon. I actually voted them because of reasons stated in somestrangeflea's post but didn't wish to go to the trouble of saying them all again.
Yes there have been; your continued ignoring of them just makes you seem even scummier.
Show
Concussed by a poorly constructed title - how ironic. - Erg0

Town - 16-13
Mafia - 5-7
Third Party - 0-1
Games Called/Abandoned - 1 (town)
Cream147
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Cream147
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 am

Post by Cream147 »

Alabaska J wrote:
Cream147 wrote:
Yes there have been; your continued ignoring of them just makes you seem even scummier.
Maybe I've missed them, because I haven't seen any half-decent cases on me anywhere. If you would like to point out one please.
[u]Apologies[/u]
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 am

Post by farside22 »

TheSweatpantsNinja wrote:ALSO, CONFIRMED INNOCENTS ARE REALLY GOOD. Christ.

Farside: I didn't vote for you because you disagreed, I voted for you
because you said we should wait until tomorrow.
Which is a bad idea because the differences between today and tomorrow are:

A. Scum will have time to talk and figure out what their coin claims will be.

B. There is going to be more scum relative to town (because of nightkills)

C. Scum, via nightkills, will hold more coins than however many they have today.

Also, farside, this is what you said:
farside wrote: What is rubbing me wrong with TSN is that he
FOS's anyone
that disagrees with him. I showed the numbers on why I felt the odds of coin pooling was bad and he still wanted to go along with it. I think he is nuts, but not scummy.
See, that's what you said. I was quoting you. And its not true. So either you're being uncommonly inattentive, or you were lying. I'll accept either explanation.
How about the fact that you didn't like when anyone disagreed with you. Why do I get called out for it? Just because I was the first to say bad idea.
24 people most large games would call for about 4 scums. I'm going based on what I see for most games this size.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 am

Post by armlx »

Not really farside. 20 player theme games often have 6 scum, I've seen 24 player games with 7-8. All depends on groupings and types.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:22 am

Post by farside22 »

armlx wrote:Not really farside. 20 player theme games often have 6 scum, I've seen 24 player games with 7-8. All depends on groupings and types.
Did scum win those games? I only ask because that seems like a high % compared to # of players.
Rogue Shenanigans
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Goon

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:26 am

Post by Rogue Shenanigans »

A game with these sort of mechanics would require a few scum to mess with coins.

I would say due to the mechanics and to the flavor we have two scum groups/individuals at least. Possibly one or two more.
Alabaska J
Alabaska J
Title Arbitrairy
Alabaska J
Title Arbitrairy
Title Arbitrairy

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Post by Alabaska J »

No Cream read the thread for once.

I thought we had a plan for today, but it seems to have dissolved.

Also, I feel bad for whoever will replace into this game (if we need one).

prod Gimbo
Show
Concussed by a poorly constructed title - how ironic. - Erg0

Town - 16-13
Mafia - 5-7
Third Party - 0-1
Games Called/Abandoned - 1 (town)

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”