Newbie 588 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon
Location: Moe's Tavern Occupation: Bartender, Part-time Scumhunter

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:39 am

Post by goborage »

"Goborage you make me die a little on the inside."

"When I say I like AA its not some kind of love thing"

"However you apperently can not control your self"

"This is not the salem witch trials your screaming and pointing at people will not persuade me."

"take alook at how fast he jumped on roland. How many prods has he requested for him?"

^ These lines are hilarious and quotable.

Official Vote Count

Abstract Actuary - 1 (goborage)
Artem - 3 (Claus, springlullaby, Abstract Actuary)

The World No.1 Noob - 1 (strappado)
springlullaby - 2 (Artem, Mokina)

Not Voting - 1 (The World No.1 Noob)

5 to Lynch (3 at deadline on June 21).
Well if you're so sure what it ain't, how about tellin' us what it am!
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Post by Artem »

I think I can address both of these at once:
Claus wrote: Look at these quotes, then read his lengthy case on N1Noob. Seems pretty strong, right? Except that a little later, I write a post criticizing his N1Noob case, and showing that it is based on nothing. What does Artem do? He changes his story. Now his case on Noob is nothing more than "a hook" for the more serious case on Camisade. He says he never had anything more than the hammer to accuse Noob. But that's not what he first said. What he first said is that he had quite a bit of evidence, and even told us that.
AA wrote: I'm also a little leery of this bait case you made against camisade-World No.1 Noob. Can you fully explain what your plan was from the beginning and what the goal was?
So, I am assigned as a replacement to Grum. After reading through all the posts I arrive at a place, where essentially three things can be highlighted

1. Gobo vs. AA argument that started with AA pointing out that MM was at L-1.
2. Grum is being suspected due to his newbish/scummy posts.
3. Dave is being suspected due to his lurking.

There were a few other accusations -- of Gobo, Mokina, SL -- but nothing too substantial.

Now, I don't really buy into the Gobo vs. AA argument. I think AA is being sincere in him pointing out the L-1 and hoping to spur more discussion. (This is exactly the opposite play of Camisade who wanted to end D1 ASAP.) Of course, I have to account for the possibility that Gobo and AA are both vying for appearing the most town, but the likelihood of that is rather small.

Defending myself against Grum's scummy posts is like beating my head against the wall.

strappado is still reading the thread, which is only marginally better play than Dave's, and that puts her #2 on my suspect list. Would love to hear what you have to say, strappdo.

So what do I do as a new replacement? If I was scum, I would have probably tried attacking AA and making friends with Gobo (seeing how well SL got away with that), or hopped on the biggest bandwagon (nevermind the fact that that's my wagon).

But when reading AA's defense against Gobo, I actually had to go back to D1 to re-read what happened. Camisade's play stood out to me in stark contrast to AA's play.

I believe Mafia to be a reaction-based game. I think that we can learn a lot from player's reactions to certain posts, sometimes more than the original posts themselves (but not always).

So I decided to put a case together and put it up for scrutiny, to get players to respond and interact, thereby providing reaction material.

Why did I drag #1noob into this? Well, the whole alt talk got me thinking that there is a slight chance that he might have been faking his newbish-ness at D1. So I decided to tack him onto SL's case to test out that theory as well.

Now I have a sitting duck, so I stand by and watch what happens. Some of the scenarios that I was anticipating was people hopping on the case going "Yea, that makes sense, vote: #1noob, SL blah blah", or the more cautious "Hey, let's see some of that extra evidence you got stashed away". I had to make my case look strong, hence all the extra convincing that Claus pointed out.

Then along comes Claus and points out that my bait is fake and that everybody should stay away from it. ;)

But fortunately, I got SL engaged before everybody backed to the spectator state.

So you're saying: "I'm not buying it. You're simply changing your opinion now that you got caught by Claus". Well, if I may point something out:
Artem wrote: I would like to hear the opinions on my
strategy
. If you would like to see specific quotes or more evidence, I can provide them.
Strategy? What strategy?

Well, believe it or not that was supposed to read: "I would like to hear the opinions on my
case
". But it was one of those mental blocks where you're thinking of something else while typing and accidentally put in one of the words you were thinking. What I was thinking at the time is exactly what I've described: I'm going to set up the case and watch reactions. That was going to be my strategy at flushing out scum.

I've tried it before. Here's a link to another game (still ongoing):
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8164

where I built a case based on a night-kill, and then pointed out that we should be watching the reactions (post 439):
Artem wrote: However, I think we can learn a lot more from player's reactions to the theory now. You reaction, for one, is quite different than the one we got from strappado.
This is my style of play, which was inspired by Ectomancer in that game. I would also like to point out that I was against lynching bad players in that game also (post 372):
Artem wrote: No. I am against lynching another person for bad play. I am all for prodding him, though, and if necessary, replacing. But at this point, we don't need any more bodies that were accused of lurking.
I am hoping that this addresses the concerns of me being wishy-washy.

Now, let's take a look at what's going on with SL (another post is coming):
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:41 pm

Post by Artem »

SL wrote: You can say with certitude that the MM lynch was an easy lynch only because she was cardflipped, unless you mean that Grum knew her alignment from start.
Change Grum to Camisade in that quote and you and I will be seeing eye to eye. Camisade knew she was an easy lynch
because
he knew MM's alignment.
SL wrote: Make it so we can hear it. I happen to think that, if there are WIFOM arguments which hold grounds.
If a scum thinks/knows that impatience is a null tell, wouldn't they utilize it? Of course, your books may not be the same as Camisade's books, but then again: I don't think you would be admitting that impatience is a scum tell in this case. Which it is.
SL wrote: Interesting, because I can add here that I think town generally doesn't reproach D1 mislynch to people, unless it was an obviously and grievously bad lynch, because they generally are pretty happy to have that over with.
Everything has its timing. I suppose if you didn't already have a vote on me, you would be putting me to L-1 to speed things up. You know, to get to the point where you're happy that D2 is over with.
SL wrote: And you see, if you were really upset about the MM lynch, I could understand your case against camisade as two player styles clashing, policy vote. But you seem to really think camisade's vote on MM can be said to be a good scumtell, which I definitely disagree with.
Why would I be upset? It looks like I've caught scum. The quicklynch is one piece of evidence. Your voting AA out of left field to gain favor with Gobo is another. Your jumping on my bandwagon with the only additional piece of evidence being "I've done this accusation as scum before" is another yet.
SL wrote: 1) This is a very cliche and empty thing to say. Do you have a point?
"Tactic X takes no brainwave" is a very cliche and empty thing to say also. My point was to answer you question of where to expect info from on D1.
SL wrote: 2) In theory it can be said to be true. In practice, it is patently false. The level of information generated by discussion, short of scum claiming scum, is always and absolutely dependent on what people make of it. So no, more is not always better.
More is not always better but not enough is worse.
SL wrote: ...stuff about #1noob and the "hook"
This I addressed in my previous post.
SL wrote: Also, I would say the discussion with MM proved pretty much fruitless, and my point was actually that town are equally likely to want to lynch MM type player than scum.
Are you saying D1 was not ended prematurely? Because I can point out a few posts where others disagreed.
SL wrote: Are we reading the same camisade? I think she did okay for the time she was around.
It really is a moot point because of replacement. There was a large chunk of the game where Camisade made no posts. But then again, so did Dave. (If the lurking was going on earlier in D2 I would've revisited the "failure to submit the decision for NK" theory)

Another question:
Why are you attempting to translate my arguments back at Grum?
SL wrote: 3. The quicklynch accusation doesn't make much sense coming from you, Grum was on that lynch too, he could have unvoted anytime but didn't.
By that logic, we should lynch Gobo for being on the train too. Heck, let's just get rid of Claus (rolandofthewhite) for starting the bandwagon in the first place.

...and...
SL wrote: Lol, you are missing the point entirely are you. You can say with certitude that the MM lynch was an easy lynch only because she was cardflipped, unless you mean that Grum knew her alignment from start.
Are these two quote just OMGUS or do you honestly believe that "putting easy lynch at L-1 and promoting a hammer, hoping some newbie would bite" is an accusation that also translates to Grum? If so, will you please point out your evidence?
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Post by Artem »

Abstract Actuary wrote:My vote on you is based on your predecessor's scummy play.

I think your basic defense for that is this
Artem wrote:...stuff here...
Which doesn't help to change my opinion.
Fair enough. What do you think of my case against SL? More specifically, who do you think would be a better lynch for this day?
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Post by Artem »

Claus wrote: Scum also gets upset at being attack and threaten to leave. And not only newbie scum. Let me show you:

Case 1:
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7283

Check the player "Guardian", during D1. He was heavily attacked by good and bad reasons, and threatened to leave the game due to his attacks. Guardian actually explodes like that often - no matter if he is town or scum.

Case 2:
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6176

Banshee was scum. Check her last few posts - she gets under heavy attack, and also asks to be replaced.

Case 3:
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5466

Ryuuk was scum. Check her posts. She got under heavy attack, and asked to be replaced.

So, the point is, newbie scum do quit the game in frustration when they get under attack, just as often (if not more often) then newbie town. Yes, Grum was dumb (posts full of lols), but realize that by defending him for being dumb, you're ignoring that he was dumb before the game began - so his alignment has no relationship with he being dumb.
Now, I realize you're talking about asking to be replaced here, but I feel like bashing my head against the defense wall a little, so I'm going to quote Vel (our beloved mod - his will be done :lol:) from post 213:
Vel wrote: Staticstically, there is no normalized difference between a scum player abandoning a game and a town player abandoning a game. This is a null tell, so don't try to infer alignment from it.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Post by Claus »

Artem wrote: Now, I realize you're talking about asking to be replaced here, but I feel like bashing my head against the defense wall a little, so I'm going to quote Vel (our beloved mod - his will be done :lol:) from post 213:
Hey,

And let me smirk while I noticed that you never bothered to point that out when Gobo used the "he replaced" argument to justify his position of thinking Grum to be town.

Funny, heh?

===

To others - I can't get my Wlan working in my laptop, so until friday I'll be limited to one hour stints in a shared computer in the hotel lobby. Sorry about the reduced activity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:48 am

Post by Artem »

Claus wrote:
Artem wrote: Now, I realize you're talking about asking to be replaced here, but I feel like bashing my head against the defense wall a little, so I'm going to quote Vel (our beloved mod - his will be done :lol:) from post 213:
Hey,

And let me smirk while I noticed that you never bothered to point that out when Gobo used the "he replaced" argument to justify his position of thinking Grum to be town.

Funny, heh?

===

To others - I can't get my Wlan working in my laptop, so until friday I'll be limited to one hour stints in a shared computer in the hotel lobby. Sorry about the reduced activity.
Wouldn't that be a conflict of interests?

I don't know too many players that would counter the pro-town statements made at them.

Do you have any comments regarding my other (more lengthy) posts?
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:43 am

Post by Abstract Actuary »

Artem wrote:
Abstract Actuary wrote:My vote on you is based on your predecessor's scummy play.

I think your basic defense for that is this
Artem wrote:...stuff here...
Which doesn't help to change my opinion.
Fair enough. What do you think of my case against SL? More specifically, who do you think would be a better lynch for this day?
I think it is pretty decent. I would say he is my #3 suspect. I still think Claus's and my case against Grum is stronger. I do think camisade/springlullaby is a viable lynch for today, though.

I have a question for you: what do you think about Dave's play? What is the likelihood he is scum?
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 am

Post by goborage »

Claus wrote:
Hey,

Funny, heh?
I forget, when did I do this?
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 am

Post by springlullaby »

unvote

Atm, I'm ambivalent about Artem's defense, and think that his case objectively stinks. What I'm liking even less is the silent bystanders. I'm also thinking I may be starting to tunnel vision.

I'm gonna answer his last post later and I want everybody to comment on the discussion between us.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 am

Post by springlullaby »

I'm going on holidays the 20th, don't know if I'll have internet access. May or may not need a replacement.

How long will you be gone spring?
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by Mokina »

On that note, no internet access on the 21st for six months. I
will
need a replacement.
"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Post by springlullaby »

How long will you be gone spring?
[/quote]

Minimum 1 month, maybe more. Really sorry about that given I just replaced in. Though I may have internet access, and would be posting with lower frequency.
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Post by goborage »

I'm sticking with AA for now but I'm having problems linking him with a scum-partner. Anyone have any suggestions?
Anyone want to play this game with me?

@ springlullaby: what do you think?

Anyways what's the record for most replacements in a game?
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Post by springlullaby »

I'm thinking I'm not liking your game lately and that I should stop second guessing myself.

Anyway,
vote Artem

I can post a point to point answer to Artem's last post if people asks but I'm feeling lazy right now. It all boils down to his position of 'discussion is protown - camisade contributed to stop that discussion, so he is scum' being seemingly protown but a little too artificial and dead set to feel like genuine town. That and some nonsense.
goborage
goborage
Goon
goborage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Post by goborage »

So you're saying you didn't think of any possible partners when you voted for AA?
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Yes.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Post by Artem »

Abstract Actuary wrote:I have a question for you: what do you think about Dave's play? What is the likelihood he is scum?
Dave is my #2 at the moment and will probably remain there until strappado finishes her read and begins to post. What she's doing right now is playing the "work" and "re-read" cards which is only marginally better than what Dave was doing.

Other than the lurking and the "awesome" post (which I'm not sure what to make of: could be first-time town player expressing his delight, could be scum pretending to express his delight) that was already pointed out by others, I don't really have much to go with. But then, if we're counting lurking against players, then we should beef up Camisade/SL's case with that, as both players have picked up prods but didn't post and both ended up being replaced. (looking back to see who first: post 324 - both at the same time)

The game that I linked earlier also has strappado playing and she's using the "work" card there as well, so I have to give her the benefit of the doubt. But if the posting doesn't pick up by the end of the day, I think you will see my vote elsewhere.

At the moment, I think SL is a better lynch than strappado(Dave) (for the reasons I've already stated). Also, given the whole "How come you defend Dave and not yourself?" point that Gobo brought to the table on page 7 may be the link between the two.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Post by Artem »

springlullaby wrote:
unvote

Atm, I'm ambivalent about Artem's defense, and think that his case objectively stinks. What I'm liking even less is the silent bystanders. I'm also thinking I may be starting to tunnel vision.

I'm gonna answer his last post later and I want everybody to comment on the discussion between us.
springlullaby wrote:I'm thinking I'm not liking your game lately and that I should stop second guessing myself.

Anyway,
vote Artem

I can post a point to point answer to Artem's last post if people asks but I'm feeling lazy right now. It all boils down to his position of 'discussion is protown - camisade contributed to stop that discussion, so he is scum' being seemingly protown but a little too artificial and dead set to feel like genuine town. That and some nonsense.
What is this?

I like one point though: is there a reason why others are not voicing their opinions about the multitude of cases that are on the table right now?

More specifically, let's hear some thoughts about the following points:
- What do you think about my case against SL?
- What do you think about Claus's case against me?
- What do you think about Gobo's case against AA?
- Who do you think is the best lynch for the day? If you're not voting, what are your reasons?

This specifically applies to strappado, #1noob and Mokina.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Post by Artem »

goborage wrote:
I'm sticking with AA for now but I'm having problems linking him with a scum-partner. Anyone have any suggestions?
Anyone want to play this game with me?
What game is that?

I think I've pointed out my top two suspects.
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Post by Mokina »

- What do you think about my case against SL?

SL's actions immediately following her arrival (wagon revival, ingratiation, etc.) were opportunistic at the very least, and downright scummy when viewed alongside camisade's sketchy and certainly lurkish reputation prior to the replacement itself. I'm content with the vote, though it would be nice to see new arguments presented against her.

Largely based on the Grum case that was going before you replaced him, and he's made a very active effort to revive it without introducing all that much new evidence. On the other hand, he makes a fairly good point about how much Grum fit the profile of new-scum, so I'm definitely receptive to any new material attached to his case.

- What do you think about Gobo's case against AA?

Poorly constructed. AA has been a constant contribution to the town and a semi-active scumhunter. It's hard for me to separate his role as an IC and his role as an aligned player, but it's worth a reread. I'll take a look.

- Who do you think is the best lynch for the day? If you're not voting, what are your reasons?

Still deciding, though I can identify most with your current case against SL; at the very least, she needed the pressure to start talking.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Post by Mokina »

It's late. I need sleep. I'll make another post tomorrow.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Post by Claus »

Mokina wrote:

Largely based on the Grum case that was going before you replaced him,
Just to clarify this point. When I replaced in, I think no one was actually voting grum anymore. I started my thread read, and by page 5 "grum is scum" was pounding in my head.

If my case is similar to others, it is because I was not the only one who saw the scummy points in grum. As for "new info", what do you think of Artem's "Oh, I find N1Noob very very suspicious. Oh wait, they showed that my case was full of hot air, so now I'll say that I was never really that suspicious of N1Noob".

Are you really expecting me to come out with new info about grum? Like, he replaced out. The only think I can do is ask people where do they think my case is wrong - which I have been doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Post by The World No.1 Noob »

This specifically applies to strappado, #1noob and Mokina.
I'm not voting because I can't decide between u and SL
marksiqiwang
王嗣其
The World No.1 Noob
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
The World No.1 Noob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Post by The World No.1 Noob »

alright I'm going to have to give Artem the benefit of the doubt on his fish bate tactic, SL is clearly only voting for Artem to save her own arse,

Vote: springlullaby

goborage, the deciding power is basically on you.
Strapado, hurry up and finish ur read.

hey what happens if there are even votes on 2 people?
marksiqiwang
王嗣其

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”