Newbie 621 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 am

Post by Mirth »

It seems superficial because because of the saying you wouldn't want to be in her shoes (no, replacing isn't fun). This is unnecessary and a sentiment probably shared by all. The other thing is that you say if she posts and is active, you won't have a problem with her (as it is obvious that that was the issue with TSQ). This is also unnecessary, so why was it posted?
Malex McJokeus
Malex McJokeus
Townie
Malex McJokeus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am

Post by Malex McJokeus »

Why was it posted? I think I just tried to explain that. What about my answer was not satisfactory? What do you want me to explain in more detail? Everyone may share my sentiment, but not everyone had voted for TSQ because of his lack of participation. I thought it would be fair to give farside22 a chance to get in the game. If you have a problem with me being Captain Obvious, then that is a different thing all together and does not require you to ask me again why I posted what I posted. Unless you were being rhetorical in which case you have to let me know with a parenthesis or something so I know not to answer you.

You didn't answer all my questions though. Would it have been better or worse if I did not explain my thinking at all and just unvoted? Or should I have kept farside22 at L-2 with my biggest reason disappearing?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 am

Post by farside22 »

Malex McJokeus wrote:Why was it posted? I think I just tried to explain that. What about my answer was not satisfactory? What do you want me to explain in more detail? Everyone may share my sentiment, but not everyone had voted for TSQ because of his lack of participation. I thought it would be fair to give farside22 a chance to get in the game. If you have a problem with me being Captain Obvious, then that is a different thing all together and does not require you to ask me again why I posted what I posted. Unless you were being rhetorical in which case you have to let me know with a parenthesis or something so I know not to answer you.

You didn't answer all my questions though. Would it have been better or worse if I did not explain my thinking at all and just unvoted? Or should I have kept farside22 at L-2 with my biggest reason disappearing?
Why do you keep asking what would have been better? Are you looking for approval or figuring ways to be less scummy/ more townie? I know you are a newb and all but asking that question in a game is scummy trying to look townie.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:04 am

Post by Mirth »

What would have been better? Depends. Sometimes I unvote out of courtesy for replacements to catch up, sometimes I don't. Depends on why I'm voting in the first place and what side I'm on and who the person I'm voting is. Notice how your unvote is a nonissue to me.
mercdaemon
mercdaemon
Goon
mercdaemon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Post by mercdaemon »

Mirth wrote:
mercdaemon wrote:
Isn't Scum pointing at each other early game considered to be a fairly standard tactic? I was specifically referring to Batto in 194. My gut feeling at the time was that Batto seemed to be more active when we started talking about TSQ. Since you're replacing, I think a lot of that is going out the window.
Not necessarily. Depends on the scum. Some will ignore each other, some will bus to distance, some will be friendly with each other. Depends on playstyle and how well they can fake being town. Depends on what metas they do or do not believe in. RVS is RVS. No necessary pattern in it.
mercdaemon wrote: Avatar uploaded, I had to find it first (wasn't even sure I had an offline copy to upload). Now you get to pester Mirth about it :p
I don't do avatars. I had one for half of 541, but that was never meant to last.
When I said "standard tactic" I didn't mean in every game, but scum pointing to each other certainly isn't anything new and OMG ground breaking.

Re: Avatars, my comment there was tongue firmly in cheek. I guess your lack of avatar there must count as something for Battousai, as he called me on it and not you.
zeal
zeal
Townie
zeal
Townie
Townie

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Post by zeal »

Mirth wrote:
Malex McJokeus wrote:Replacing TSQ? I would not want to replace a person who at one point was L-1. Then again, as a sign of good faith to farside22, Unvote. I only ask in return that you post something of substance. If you read the game to this point you will see that you are replacing someone that has done much to annoy the town, by not doing much at all. So post your thoughts on the game and provided it makes some sense and has logic and I will be satisfied.

The above post seems superficial. I do not like it.
I don't see anything wrong with it, apart from the bit that says "you are replacing someone that has done much to annoy
the town
" because it would make more sense to say "you are replacing someone that has done much to annoy
us
"

I expect that I'm just being paranoid again, but that's how I would write it.
Mirth wrote:Zeal: nvm just read your answer...do you think its better to get rid of someone whos not helpful than to look for someone actually hurting town?
I classify these as the same thing. Not being helpful
does
hurt the town.
Mirth wrote:Don't be nice to anyone. Ever.
You smell bad. There, happy now? :D
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Post by Mirth »

zeal wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with it, apart from the bit that says "you are replacing someone that has done much to annoy
the town
" because it would make more sense to say "you are replacing someone that has done much to annoy
us
"
I will disagree with you here, but this may just be my personal pet peeve. I will not qualify this statement as of yet, however. If the issue I am referring to arises, I will explain it. If not, I'll explain it after the game.
Zeal wrote:
I classify these as the same thing. Not being helpful
does
hurt the town.
More not help than hurt, really. This is a bit of a semantics debate though.
Zeal wrote:
Mirth wrote:Don't be nice to anyone. Ever.
You smell bad. There, happy now? :D
Sure.
Malex McJokeus
Malex McJokeus
Townie
Malex McJokeus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 am

Post by Malex McJokeus »

For clarification, when I write or refer to "the town" I am referring to everyone in that resides in the Town. If that is not the appropriate vernacular, then I would be willing to change my language to avoid confusion.

Farside, I am just trying to get as much information as I can by asking questions. I can respect your position though.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 am

Post by Mirth »

Malex McJokeus wrote:For clarification, when I write or refer to "the town" I am referring to everyone in that resides in the Town. If that is not the appropriate vernacular, then I would be willing to change my language to avoid confusion.
Nothing wrong with it, just curious why so interested in vernacular. (I think I'm starting to see darside's point, not sure how much I agree with it yet)
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:49 am

Post by farside22 »

Malex comments just bug me. I feel like he is looking for approval. I don't know if that is just him being a newbie and understanding the game or scum trying to look town. I get with Mirth is saying about his statement in regards to replacement, however reading the game it seemed 3 of the votes were to put pressure on TSQ for lurking not for being scummy.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:02 am

Post by Mirth »

farside22 wrote:however reading the game it seemed 3 of the votes were to put pressure on TSQ for lurking not for being scummy.
This is true. (In that it was mostly to get him to talk, I believe)

Question for you, since you had a chance to get ideas on all of us from backlog, but you're still a new variable yourself, what do you think the best course of action would have been with TSQ?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:09 am

Post by farside22 »

Mirth wrote:
farside22 wrote:however reading the game it seemed 3 of the votes were to put pressure on TSQ for lurking not for being scummy.
This is true. (In that it was mostly to get him to talk, I believe)

Question for you, since you had a chance to get ideas on all of us from backlog, but you're still a new variable yourself, what do you think the best course of action would have been with TSQ?
I would have asked that TSQ be replaced.
Some people who lurk and seem scummy to me are the ones who just repeat something someone said or offer nothing new to the conversation. Reading TSQ it just looked like he was busy. They only time I cringed was when he said no talking and more lynching of Mirth. I promoted a lynch of someone in another game ongoing who did that, but he kept saying it over and over without adding anything. Other then that one comment he kept coming in and saying hi so I took that to be someone busy more then scummy.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 am

Post by Battousai »

One of the problems I had with TSQ was that he came in and said HI after being prodded, but still did not participate. He hampered the town if he was protown (red herring).

The reason I asked merc, and not mirth was because she's been here awhile and if she didn't have one then that meant she prefers not to have one.

Farside: Being able to come in and say HI means they're busy? Why didn't he write that, if he knew he was going to be busy, then why didn't he ask for replacement? I know you're trying to defend his actions as you're his replacement, but all you can do is give your opinion like the rest of us (but with more insight). I think it is just as likely he was purposefully lurking.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:16 am

Post by farside22 »

Battousai wrote:One of the problems I had with TSQ was that he came in and said HI after being prodded, but still did not participate. He hampered the town if he was protown (red herring).

The reason I asked merc, and not mirth was because she's been here awhile and if she didn't have one then that meant she prefers not to have one.

Farside: Being able to come in and say HI means they're busy? Why didn't he write that, if he knew he was going to be busy, then why didn't he ask for replacement? I know you're trying to defend his actions as you're his replacement, but all you can do is give your opinion like the rest of us (but with more insight). I think it is just as likely he was purposefully lurking.
I've never seen someone lurk in such away being on purpose. I've seen people say I'm still here with nothing else and were town. Are you going to tell me you had not? Do you lynch lurkers typically?
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:22 am

Post by Mirth »

TSQ doesn't strike me as the lurky type, actually. At least he didnt lurk in 509. I dont know how he is in newbie games, but lurking seemed out of character for him. Don't know if its busy or disinterested. Don't know really believe in using metas either, so I'm keeping TSQ at null value in my estimation.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:29 am

Post by mith »

Vote Count:
5 to lynch.

farside22: 2 (Battousai, Gremwell)
Gremwell: 1 (farside22)
zeal: 1 (Mirth)

Deadline coming in the near future.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:52 am

Post by Mirth »

Oh, yeah
unvote:zeal
. No reason to keep it there.
kristopf
kristopf
Townie
kristopf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Post by kristopf »

Malex McJokeus wrote: You didn't answer all my questions though. Would it have been better or worse if I did not explain my thinking at all and just unvoted? Or should I have kept farside22 at L-2 with my biggest reason disappearing?
Malex McJokeus wrote:If that is not the appropriate vernacular, then I would be willing to change my language to avoid confusion.
Why are you so eager to change your language and get approval for the things you do in this game? It is seeming more and more to me like you're trying to divert attention away from yourself. Only scum need to avoid the spotlight.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Post by Mirth »

kristopf wrote:
Malex McJokeus wrote: You didn't answer all my questions though. Would it have been better or worse if I did not explain my thinking at all and just unvoted? Or should I have kept farside22 at L-2 with my biggest reason disappearing?
Malex McJokeus wrote:If that is not the appropriate vernacular, then I would be willing to change my language to avoid confusion.
Why are you so eager to change your language and get approval for the things you do in this game? It is seeming more and more to me like you're trying to divert attention away from yourself. Only scum need to avoid the spotlight.
Why do you point out things that have already been pointed out? Trying to get brownie points?
mercdaemon
mercdaemon
Goon
mercdaemon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Post by mercdaemon »

(Sorry for the absence, exam in 24 hours, be back after that.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Post by mith »

Deadline:
6.5 days from this post.

Prodding Gremwell and Nahraza.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:06 am

Post by farside22 »

Mirth wrote:
kristopf wrote:
Why do you point out things that have already been pointed out? Trying to get brownie points?
I felt the same way reading this post. I would like kristopf to post who he thinks is scum and why. Please use either quotes are post reference numbers of things you find scummy.
Gremwell
Gremwell
Goon
Gremwell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Post by Gremwell »

Hi Picking up my prod, turns out when they say the internet will be down for a day they mean more like 5 sorry for that, I'm reading the last 2 pages and I'll post in a couple hours when I get time
[color=red]in the name of Harman[/color]
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Post by Battousai »

farside22 wrote:
Battousai wrote:One of the problems I had with TSQ was that he came in and said HI after being prodded, but still did not participate. He hampered the town if he was protown (red herring).

I've never seen someone lurk in such away being on purpose. I've seen people say I'm still here with nothing else and were town. Are you going to tell me you had not? Do you lynch lurkers typically?
Actually, I recently replaced into a game where scum was lynched D1 for picking up prods, but never posting. Like I said, we won't know his real reason for doing so all we can do is guess and give opinions. I would prefer to lynch someone who is pretty scummy in my eyes. But when someone who is obviously lurking (not contributing, hardly posting, but picking up prods) I would like to get them as close as I can to lynch as possible to pressure them to talk, and if they don't I wouldn't hesitate to hammer (depending no what day it was and the setup).

UNVOTE
, since deadline is looming this week and since TSQ/farside isn't the scummiest person to me.

VOTE: Gremwell
, so far I don't think the scum have made enough mistakes to be seen as obv scum, so I'm going with my gut here. Seemed eager to appease mirth (with the voting/ unvoting of TSQ), plus he didn't enter the game very "gracefully."
Gremwell
Gremwell
Goon
Gremwell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Post by Gremwell »

Unvote, Vote

more than OMGYS too, This has been the first post that really jumps at me, Battousai's vote is hardly founded and while that is his prerogative it seems like he's trying to slip it into a bandwagon. also he "me tooed" earlier when Mirth voted Nahraza and didn't give a real reason under the pretext that he was IC and it was a question for the noobs to answer, also if I recall he has been early on every single wagon that even thought about forming.
[color=red]in the name of Harman[/color]

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”