New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 645, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 641, xRECKONERx wrote:also i have not implied anybody is racist. not one of my posts. read better tbh.
You have:
In post 551, xRECKONERx wrote:pro tip: not being racist or making people more comfortable by not using potentially problematic words isn't political! if you think it is, you're wrong!
In post 561, xRECKONERx wrote:cancel mafia if we can't LYNCH PEOPLE with our NOOSES
show me in these posts where i called people racist? or implied that?

first post: trying to illuminate the fact that this isnt a political issue
second post: bringing attention to the fact that lynching has ties to nooses which has ties to racism

people may not realize that

nobody is a racist for not realizing that. im trying to help people realize that.
green shirt thursdays
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

You can be misinformed
and
think there's nothing wrong with the word "lynch".

I thought the same thing before the T-shirt thread. Then I looked up the origin of the word.

It comes from "lynch law" which was vigilante justice carried out against blacks. Back then, it was considered justice. It's now considered tyranny of the majority/terrorism.

I didn't know and I didn't feel bad for using it, but I don't use it anymore.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 648, DeathNote wrote:Yes it is. The opinion is that Lynching has nothing to do with race which is racist as Lynching has everything to do with race.
Do not confuse the United States with the entire world.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 645, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 641, xRECKONERx wrote:also i have not implied anybody is racist. not one of my posts. read better tbh.
You have:
In post 551, xRECKONERx wrote:pro tip: not being racist or making people more comfortable by not using potentially problematic words isn't political! if you think it is, you're wrong!
In post 561, xRECKONERx wrote:cancel mafia if we can't LYNCH PEOPLE with our NOOSES
Those are statements that don't target any particular person, even in a subtweet way. If a poster sees their own opinion reflected in those general criticisms, that really does sound like a them problem.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 651, Lycanfire wrote:You can be misinformed
and
think there's nothing wrong with the word "lynch".

I thought the same thing before the T-shirt thread. Then I looked up the origin of the word.

It comes from "lynch law" which was vigilante justice carried out against blacks. Back then, it was considered justice. It's now considered tyranny of the majority/terrorism.

I didn't know and I didn't feel bad for using it, but I don't use it anymore.
this is a very good take thank you lycan
green shirt thursdays
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 634, Pink Ball wrote:
In post 441, Nero Cain wrote:Also its just a game guys.
Exactly.

So let's make it more accepting by removing a term that is known to be problematically charged!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 652, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 648, DeathNote wrote:Yes it is. The opinion is that Lynching has nothing to do with race which is racist as Lynching has everything to do with race.
The word lynch is uniquely American.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 622, Dunnstral wrote:It has never had any racial connotations.
Oh another incredibly stupid take I missed.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

you guys do know that lynchings happened long before the trans-Atlantic slave trade. I mean, yes, the word lynch does carry so many racist undertones b/c of how the KKK used lynches for black ppl but I just wanted to point out that it is has been a punishment for ONLY blacks is absolutely false.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 652, Dunnstral wrote:
Ok, that would certainly excuse not knowing. I don't recall anyone coming into this thread in good faith going "I'm a little confused. Why would lynch be racist?" and being criticized. But not being from the United States isn't a free pass for people to ignore that the word has such a connotation in the United States, nor does it prevent them from realizing severing our connection to that connotation, even if it is in a foreign country, is more important than a particular word in a forum game.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 650, xRECKONERx wrote:show me in these posts where i called people racist? or implied that?
Your response to somebody saying that the term lynch is political was 'not being racist isn't political'

How does that not imply that they are being racist?
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 658, Nero Cain wrote:you guys do know that lynchings happened long before the trans-Atlantic slave trade. I mean, yes, the word lynch does carry so many racist undertones b/c of how the KKK used lynches for black ppl but I just wanted to point out that it is has been a punishment for ONLY blacks is absolutely false.
The word lynch is American because it comes from lynch law either from Charles/ William Lynch, two American justices that were both alive in the nineteenth century. Hanging has always been a thing, lynching has not.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 658, Nero Cain wrote:you guys do know that lynchings happened long before the trans-Atlantic slave trade. I mean, yes, the word lynch does carry so many racist undertones b/c of how the KKK used lynches for black ppl but I just wanted to point out that it is has been a punishment for ONLY blacks is absolutely false.
Who said that? Legitimately asking, this is a fast thread with many posts.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by Fredrick A Campbell »

In post 304, AniX wrote:The amount of people actually, legitimately bent out of shape and to some degree UPSET AND ANGRY about having to use a different word in a forum game because a different word is hurtful to some people is...pathetic to say the absolute least. You'd think half these people were the ones who wrote the standard definition of lynch in the dictionary, the way they are taking something extremely easy, simple, and inconsequential for them to follow so personally.
Definition of lynch according to Google
Definition of lynch according to Merriam-Webster
Definition of lynch according to Cambridge English Dictionary
Definition of lynch according to Dictionary.com

Hence, I am utterly confused by how this word is even supposed to offend anyone.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by AniX »

Nobody has suggested that ONLY black people have ever been lynched. They are saying that the term lynching has been so irreversibly linked to the systematic murder of black people in the United States that it has overtaken in priority any mundane usage of the term.

There are mundane uses of the Swastika and they extend back far further than the Nazi regime, but you'll have a tough argument in suggesting we should allow swastika avatar even if they aren't the Nazi kind.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 647, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 635, AniX wrote:Jam, for definite.
but that's not who Scott was talking about.
In post 636, Aristophanes wrote:not have the potential of alienation of users
but by removing the term "lynch" we've already lost ABR and potentially Alyssa.
Good.

As I said, if people want to leave over this, they can literally fuck right off.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 663, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:
In post 304, AniX wrote:The amount of people actually, legitimately bent out of shape and to some degree UPSET AND ANGRY about having to use a different word in a forum game because a different word is hurtful to some people is...pathetic to say the absolute least. You'd think half these people were the ones who wrote the standard definition of lynch in the dictionary, the way they are taking something extremely easy, simple, and inconsequential for them to follow so personally.

Hence, I am utterly confused by how this word is even supposed to offend anyone.
Your ignorance is not anyone's responsibility but your own.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Post by AniX »

Because the problem with the word isn't its definition but its intense and pervasive historical sociopolitical context that isn't captured by a dictionary?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 660, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 650, xRECKONERx wrote:show me in these posts where i called people racist? or implied that?
Your response to somebody saying that the term lynch is political was 'not being racist isn't political'

How does that not imply that they are being racist?
because im trying to inform. being against racism isnt being not racist, it's being ANTI racist
and anti-racism isn't a political matter. people calling it "political" are dismissing the issue as "political" when it's not

and while i avoid political arguments because i hate politics, this isn't political.
green shirt thursdays
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Good post.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Post by scotmany12 »

I am a white, straight male. I have never experienced any type of racism or prejudice. I am privileged.

I don't think we, as a community, should just simply report posts we see as racists. We should call them out publicly.

If someone is hiding behind "free speech" or "culture" as a reason for allowing lynching to still be allowed in this site, you are using that as an excuse for you true agenda. Instead, you are racist.

If you, as a mod, think what I said was just wrong, then please ban me. You are part of the problem and should not be allowed to mod this site.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 663, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:Hence, I am utterly confused by how this word is even supposed to offend anyone.
After consulting Merriam-webster
First Known Use of lynch
1835, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for lynch
after LYNCH LAW
Basically, what I went over (citing the 1992 American Historical Dictionary) in the "Lynching" thread in 2018.
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

I didn't grow up in a place with a racially charged past, but this doesn't really affect the way I play mafia. At the end of the day, if the words used are not proper decorum, it's easy to just not use them? I mean we aren't complaining that we can't use the N-word around here, right?

Seriously guys, it's 2020.
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 669, Dunnstral wrote:

Good post.
now check out the encyclopedia entries
You can't step in the same river twice.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Because lots of black people died by racists white people.

Also I'm utterly confused as to why you care? Either the word is racist or it isn't, why does it matter to you if it stays or go?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.

Return to “News”