New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Post by scotmany12 »

In post 821, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 799, Aristophanes wrote:It is.

I'm just saying, like, there's a time and a place.

Read the room.
If someone comes in and goes "oh hey guys, lynchings was about blaq punishment!" despite the fact that it was first used against tories in the revolutionary war. So yes, it's a perfect fucking time to correct him. And I absolutely should not be getting flack for it.
Missing the fucking point again
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 812, TrueSoulEnergy wrote: Any word could have been used.
Anything could have happened.
Each decision an individual makes can change the outcome of the future.
Heck it could have been something else.
Heck If the right people were in charge slavery would have never existed.
My point is that history happened and what happened in the past happened.
We are in control of our future we will decide the fate of the future we together will make the world a better place.
We will unite and make Understandment and Equality one as well as all Truth to never be kept secret.
And many more things I desire.
But for now I’ll let everyone go into their little “over reaction” doesn’t bother me.
But if I see some really stupid shit in 2021 saying a fuckin Kitchen Sink is Racist because they are able to pin it back to the past in history of it being as such I’m going to have a hell of a fuckin “I told you so, this needs to stop!” Speech prepared.
Until then. I end my discussion here.
Also wanted to address that this post was made in response of a rule that asks to replace a word in an online game.

It's hilarious come on.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Post by Porkens »

That history is now man. The trial never ended. Your talking about less than 200 years ago. 3 or 4 generations from you. In other words, right now. Racism is “popping up everywhere”. Because it IS everywhere. It’s scary as shit but that’s what you need to wake up to. It’s not “all that political stuff” and then “our little issue on our forum.” It’s all the same thing one and it’s one big species level suicidal atrocity. We are all part of the problem, and it’s HARD to accept that, but that’s who we are, and that where we have to start working from. The calls are coming from inside the house, we all live inside the matrix. It’s racism all the way down.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

Post by kuribo »

imagine thinking that racism is only now an issue that's just popping up rather than being a Black person that has to live it every day of their lives, just like their fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers etc
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 455, Ginngie wrote:There are literally so many ways to write that people died without saying lynch
In post 0, Ginngie wrote:MariaR had failed heart surgery Day 1.
Bulbzak turned into a chew toy Night 1.
Dunnstral went on a date Night 1.
Pine was turned into christmas decor Day 2.
Reck got stumped Day 2
Aristophanes greened out Night 2.
Lady Lambdadelta got stuck in a time loop Night 2.
Bingle blooded the blood god Night 3.
gobbledygook tripped on a twig while caffeinated Night 3.
PenguinPower mixed energy drinks and moonshine Night 3.
Nancy Drew 39 has been rendered clueless. Wait, that’s a permanent state. :P
Creature has become extinct.
RosterFoster was turned into dumplings.
Fire got dunked.
the worst got permanently roasted.
Red Panda got stuffed.

I could go on and on with this.

The Pine one was hillarious btw. lmao
Last edited by Nancy Drew 39 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

imagine getting this mad over a singular word change in a fucking forum online mafia game that doesnt matter

yall need a goddamn reality check
green shirt thursdays
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 814, scotmany12 wrote:As far as I can tell,
then you can't read very well
In post 600, Nero Cain wrote:I'm curious, who here is actually offended by the word "lynch"?
null question
In post 441, Nero Cain wrote:lynch is just death without a trial. I don't think the word itself is racist but I can certainly understand how history has given the word lynch a racist connotation. Also its just a game guys.
here I state that I don't believe that the word is racist but I said that I understood why people may not like the word. Neither of these were "fighting against" the rule change or anything like that.
In post 814, scotmany12 wrote:defending people
who am I defending?

fuck off with you white guilt
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 812, TrueSoulEnergy wrote:My point is that history happened and what happened in the past happened.
We are in control of our future we will decide the fate of the future we together will make the world a better place.
No, actually, this is my fucking point!

History happened, and now "Lynch" isn't appropriate.

We are in control of our future, and I want to see a future where racially charged jargon is no longer prevalent and rasicm is abolished.

Full stop.

You arguing some dumb bullshit about kitchen sinks doesn't change the fact that the word "lynch" is a racially charged word. The left winged social justice warriors police brigade isn't breaking down your door to take words away, and you are the one fucking overreacting here is you are going to argue some bullshit strawman that "kitchen sinks could be rasict too."

Well guess what, if I had to change the name of the room where I cook to the foodatorium because it turned out "kitchens" became racially charges or inappropriate in some way, then I fucking would! So grow up and have a real conversation with me that is based on facts or go away, you goalpost-moving edgelord!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 812, TrueSoulEnergy wrote: Any word could have been used.
Anything could have happened.
Each decision an individual makes can change the outcome of the future.
Heck it could have been something else.
Heck If the right people were in charge slavery would have never existed.
My point is that history happened and what happened in the past happened.
We will unite and make Understandment and Equality one as well as all Truth to never be kept secret.
And many more things I desire.
But for now I’ll let everyone go into their little “over reaction” doesn’t bother me.
But if I see some really stupid shit in 2021 saying a fuckin Kitchen Sink is Racist because they are able to pin it back to the past in history of it being as such I’m going to have a hell of a fuckin “I told you so, this needs to stop!” Speech prepared.
Until then. I end my discussion here.
In post 818, TrueSoulEnergy wrote: I’ll wait till you read this in a thousand years time in multiple other lifetimes.

Your post would then change to.

“Man the people including me at that time weren’t as knowledgeably developed as I am now. Is TSE some kind of astronomical accident?”
The answer is maybe. Btw.

Now this is my last post.
GN all
Imagine having this much incoherent bullshit to spew because you've been told not to say a word
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 830, xRECKONERx wrote:imagine getting this mad over a singular word change in a fucking forum online mafia game that doesnt matter
I'm not mad. Is TSE mad? ABR was deff mad and Alyssa might be mad. The people that seemed to be getting mad are you, scot and Ari and ythan.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Post by AniX »

Enter was extremely mad, that's for sure.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Post by Kerset »

So it is fine to roleplay as mafia but it is not fine to roleplay public executions? We are talking here about organized crime, which is associated with sex slavery, distribution of drugs and illegal guns or assassinations. At this point i could replace lynch with slaughter and people would find it more appropriate...
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 836, Kerset wrote:So it is fine to roleplay as mafia but it is not fine to roleplay public executions? We are talking here about organized crime, which is associated with sex slavery, distribution of drugs and illegal guns or assassinations. At this point i could replace lynch with slaughter and people would find it more appropriate...
The issue is not the roleplay, but the real life context of lynching.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Post by scotmany12 »

In post 831, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 814, scotmany12 wrote:As far as I can tell,
then you can't read very well
In post 600, Nero Cain wrote:I'm curious, who here is actually offended by the word "lynch"?
null question
In post 441, Nero Cain wrote:lynch is just death without a trial. I don't think the word itself is racist but I can certainly understand how history has given the word lynch a racist connotation. Also its just a game guys.
here I state that I don't believe that the word is racist but I said that I understood why people may not like the word. Neither of these were "fighting against" the rule change or anything like that.
In post 814, scotmany12 wrote:defending people
who am I defending?

fuck off with you white guilt
The word is racist. Stop acting like it isn't. Thanks for showing your true colors btw.

And I'm sorry, it wasn't your first two posts. Just two that caught my eye. I sincerely apologize for using the wrong number. Yes, I am being sarcastic.
In post 621, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 607, Aristophanes wrote:I'm curious, does this actually matter?
kinda? like its "our" site for "us". In my mind, it would make
A LOT
more sense if the reason for the rule change is that the majority of the players actually didn't want the word lynch to be used. I also think that most players know that when we say "we want to lynch you" or "X has been lynched d1" our intent isn't racist. And I was just curious so eh?
In post 607, Aristophanes wrote:So who are people fighting this?
no one is? And if anyone was it's not gonna have any (or very little effect) I mean, I guess you could argue that Alysaa and ABR are fighting it but mods are gonna do what mods are gonna want.
In post 647, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 635, AniX wrote:Jam, for definite.
but that's not who Scott was talking about.
In post 636, Aristophanes wrote:not have the potential of alienation of users
but by removing the term "lynch" we've already lost ABR and potentially Alyssa.
No one should be upset that we lost ABR and (i'm assuming) Alisae. They have made their points perfectly clear. And you shouldn't even worry about the intent behind the word. It's a racist word. We as a website need to stop using it. Everyone. Not just mods.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Post by scotmany12 »

In post 834, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 830, xRECKONERx wrote:imagine getting this mad over a singular word change in a fucking forum online mafia game that doesnt matter
I'm not mad. Is TSE mad? ABR was deff mad and Alyssa might be mad. The people that seemed to be getting mad are you, scot and Ari and ythan.
Sorry. I get mad at racists. Definitely a personality flaw from me. I should allow them to just spread their hate.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 834, Nero Cain wrote:ythan
What because I'm shitting on morons? Or did you just list off a couple people who were being mean you you.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 835, AniX wrote:Enter was extremely mad, that's for sure.
green shirt thursdays
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 836, Kerset wrote:So it is fine to roleplay as mafia but it is not fine to roleplay public executions? We are talking here about organized crime, which is associated with sex slavery, distribution of drugs and illegal guns or assassinations. At this point i could replace lynch with slaughter and people would find it more appropriate...
and they don't stop coming
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Since lynching is a real life ongoing event that is happening right now, it is too soon to roleplay and joke about it. It's like when 9/11 happened and for a while it wasn't cool to joke about flying planes into buildings. Maybe if we can go without lynching people in real life for 20, 50, 100 years we can revisit whether we want to pick up the word again.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

you're right, good job, people would find it way more tolerable

you caught on quicker than most of this thread
green shirt thursdays
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 838, scotmany12 wrote:No one should be upset that we lost ABR and (i'm assuming) Alisae. They have made their points perfectly clear. And you shouldn't even worry about the intent behind the word. It's a racist word. We as a website need to stop using it. Everyone. Not just mods.
Alyssa the Lamb fyi, not Alisae
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Post by AniX »

Also, the mafia is by and large almost always placed in the context of a general purpose villain who has no special animus against or significance to any minority

Lynching on the other hand does

We'd be having a very different conversation if this was Klanscum.net and had a whire hood in its logo because the Klan, like lynching, has a specific racial context
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I'm not actually sure whether it is okay to joke about 9/11 yet or not? It only happened that one time almost 20 years ago but I think people are still pretty upset about it. It's probably better to err on the side of not joking about it still.

Lynching has happened a lot more than that one time, it has been an ongoing thing for over a hundred years so it's way too soon to be lighthearted about it.
Last edited by Plotinus on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Post by kuribo »

I feel like the people wanting to keep using the word "lynch" on MS have probably complained about the confederate flags / statues being taken a way

"But lynching is part of our heritage on mafiascum! If it makes Black folks uncomfortable then that's their problem because I don't wanna have to type a different word!"
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Seriously, I have felt uneasy about the word “lynch” for some time. I believe that irrellaphant was the first one to initially express this. I can understand this, I have similar feelings about the connotations of the word “gas” and would find it difficult not to feel uncomfortable if that word had been used instead of lynch.

I don’t particularly like “eliminate” as an alternative, because it sounds to similar to remove or replace. I vote for “execute”/misexecute” and EXYNCH or LOSE/
EXLO
and MISEXLO or LOSE/
MEXLO

Personally, “voted off the island“/had their torch snuffed out”, would be the funniest.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly

Return to “News”