Tinsley
Tinsley
Goon
Tinsley
Goon
Goon

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 am

Post by Tinsley »

camn wrote:You think I am Fark's follower? Please explain why.
That was in reference to you following his suspicion on both charter and myself. I don't think you're his scumbuddy, but I'm almost certain Walnut is. You seem suspicious of his bandwagon on me, so what do you think of Fark?
charter wrote:I don't want to lynch walnut today. There's reasonable doubt in my head that he's scum....Walnut stands a good chance of being scum.
I interpreted this as: "I think Walnut is scum with Fark, but I'm not as certain on him as I am on Fark and LG." Is that right?

The reason I ask is that I don't think a deadline is necessary. There are six of us with votes on either Fark or Walnut. I think they're scumbuddies, and you seem to as well. I think it's just a matter of those of us suspicious one or the other getting on the same page. I'd prefer a Fark lynch and it sounds like you and Thesp would as well. Riot and Mac - What do you think of Fark?

LG - What do you think of Walnut?
Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:43 am

Post by Macavenger »

Wrist is mostly healed. I'll be typing up the rest of my thoughts about Walnut either later tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. Reaction to a couple questions I picked up recently in the meantime:
Thesp wrote:
Macavenger wrote:I don't see Tinsley's fark vote as being any bad kind of OMGUS, and still have a mostly town read on him.
How?
I haven't seen him do anything massively scummy, and I don't see him as tied to likely scum Walnut and LG. I don't agree with everything he's said, certainly - I think the construction that Fark has a master plan to roll a bandwagon over him etc. is a bit farfetched. I don't see him hopping around madly trying to push the easiest wagon constantly like others today, and I get an honest feeling from his attempts at scumhunting.
Tinsley wrote:Mac - What do you think of Fark?
I'm still going back and forth on Fark. I see possible connections between him and Walnut and LG. Some of his wagon jumping today has looked scummy, and some of it hasn't. He's not a terrible lynch, but there are clearly better possibilities today, and I wouldn't support a Fark lynch except as a last resort in the event of a deadline.
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Post by charter »

I interpreted this as: "I think Walnut is scum with Fark, but I'm not as certain on him as I am on Fark and LG." Is that right?
I'm positive LG is scum. I'm pretty sure Fark is scum. I'm pretty sure Walnut is scum, but on my reread I found things that made me doubt whether he actually is scum or not, hence why I'm now not so eager to lynch him.
Walnut
Walnut
Goon
Walnut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by Walnut »

On Day 1 Tinsley questioned a number of people on a number of issues. While I didn't necessarily agree with the conclusions he drew from them, I got a general town read on him

Tinsley's Day 2 play has been markedly different. While on its own post #466 is not inherently scummy, it is in contrast to his arguments on Day 1 against speculation. In Post #477 he says that the scum must have been on the Netlava lynch and names almost everyone. These things had me starting to think that he was a little misguided, although probably still town.

It was the argument that Farkshinsoup had lined everyone up for Tinsley's lynch that got to me. It is too farfetched, which comes across as desperate, which signals mafia to me. As a townie, I can't see why Tinsley would have attempted such a wild line of reasoning. I am intrigued to see that his line now is
With charter doing a reread, ShadowGirl set to return any day now, and Thesp more than willing to drop the hammer, it looks like you might get someone other than Walnut lynched. Nice work scum!
which sets up an exciting two option game, where you choose either Walnut (the default) or someone else for the lynch. This is curious, given that Tinsley is currently voting Farkshinsoup.
Reading your signature makes me feel guilty and helpless.
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Post by Mizzy »

Vote Count:

Farkshinsoup 4 (Thesp, Tinsley, Lord Gurgi, charter)
Tinsley 3 (camn, Farkshinsoup, Walnut)
Walnut 2 (Macavenger, CF Riot)

Not Voting:
ShadowGirl

10 Alive = 6 to lynch!

Day 2 has only been going 2 weeks; I will not force a deadline unless 4 weeks have passed or posting slows to a crawl.
PokerFace: "I need to play with [Ether] or Mizzy more often."
Nightson: "I'd be more then happy to play with Ether and Mizzy. At the same time."

Muerrto: "Mizzy is my hero and I wanna be like her when I grow younger <3"
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Post by camn »

Farkshinsoup wrote: I said that in the same post where I switched my vote back to Tinsley from LG. As you can tell from my post, I wanted Tinsley lynched. At that point, yeah I was hoping that Thesp would switch his vote over to Tinsley, because, again, I wanted him lynched. So "we" means you, me, hopefully Thesp, and anyone else that wanted to lynch him.
Yeah, but.. what if Tinsely is Town? Then do you still want LG dead?

And no, I don't think you orchestrated this.

@Tinsley... I think Fark is Suspect.
Which is weird for me, because before I voted for YOU, I thought he was pretty much clear... But coming back at you like that seems opportunistic.. the way he was lining up lynches seems odd... It read to me like something scum would PM to their buddy .. "hey.. if we manage to get Tinsley lynched... lets go after LG tomorrow!"

But I re-read most of his posts. and I can't QUITE justify lynching him.

I too am against a deadline at this point. We have plenty to talk about.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
CF Riot
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Post by CF Riot »

Walnut wrote:CFRiot, do you still think that "his cases are presented very poorly, but do make sense if you interpret them a bit." applies to this post of his?
No, that post was dumb. On that same token, do you see that post as scum trying to frame you?
----
@Charter: 3 of those 5 suspects were on my list in equal intensity for lack of posts. If I have very little information to go by, it makes me suspicious because I can't read/judge their intentions.
----
Fark's been hard to read for me. I posted my opinions of him a few pages back but they're outdated now. He's jumpy. He makes arguments and acts like he believes in them, but pulls them if they don't gain support. His vote is usually on the most popular wagon. When I lay out his tells like this it looks like he'd be my number 1 suspect but I just haven't felt that confident about him. I might have been too dead-set on Walnut. If we just refuse to move that wagon along, I could stand a Fark lynch. I don't see LG as scummy and I don't have a read on anyone else either so Fark is really all I have left. Thesp is my other suspect but we all agree on giving him another chance. If Fark makes it to 5 votes without a good defense, I'll agree to hammer, but only after SG returns. Since Mizzy is being patient with us, I refuse to let her go this long without giving any content.
ShadowGirl
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am

Post by ShadowGirl »

I am back, everyone - just got in the door, really. I apologize for making everyone wait. I shall try and do a reread as soon as possible, before or after I take a nap.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

LG wrote:I'm asking for a deadline because discussion is becoming petty and pointless. If you're honestly pinning asking for a deadline as a scum tell then I bow to your almighty framing abilities.

So you think that the discussion has become petty and pointless. I don't entirely agree with that, but I can see your point, the day has dragged on a while. So how does it help to request that a deadline be imposed on us by the moderator? Wanting the day to be artificially shortened is beneficial to scum, especially scum who would like to force town to choose between someone other than themselves.

You can dismiss my suggestion that this is a scummy move with snide comments, that does not make it any less scummy.

Screw it, I'm switching my vote again.

Unvote. Vote: Lord Gurgi.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Farkshinsoup wrote:
LG wrote:I'm asking for a deadline because discussion is becoming petty and pointless. If you're honestly pinning asking for a deadline as a scum tell then I bow to your almighty framing abilities.

So you think that the discussion has become petty and pointless. I don't entirely agree with that, but I can see your point, the day has dragged on a while. So how does it help to request that a deadline be imposed on us by the moderator? Wanting the day to be artificially shortened is beneficial to scum, especially scum who would like to force town to choose between someone other than themselves.

You can dismiss my suggestion that this is a scummy move with snide comments, that does not make it any less scummy.

Screw it, I'm switching my vote again.

Unvote. Vote: Lord Gurgi.
I have never seen a deadline placed on a town be detrimental to a town, because it makes the town cut the garbage out, and move onto actually scum hunting, the fact that you're voting me for asking for a deadline is ridiculous.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 am

Post by Thesp »

I haven't forgotten about you all, I promise! I'm running out of town for the evening, but if I don't have something substantial up by tomorrow noonish, someone please slap me with a wet fish. ;)
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:45 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

Lord Gurgi wrote:I have never seen a deadline placed on a town be detrimental to a town, because it makes the town cut the garbage out, and move onto actually scum hunting, the fact that you're voting me for asking for a deadline is ridiculous.
There are two different issues that you are trying to make one issue. First: deadlines imposed by moderators and whether they are good for town. Second: requests for deadlines from scummy players in order to corral the town into lynching a townie.

I'll concede that on the first issue, I pretty much agree with you, it does tend to cut out the garbage. The second issue seems pretty clear to me, and my voting you for it is in no way ridiculous.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Farkshinsoup wrote:
Lord Gurgi wrote:I have never seen a deadline placed on a town be detrimental to a town, because it makes the town cut the garbage out, and move onto actually scum hunting, the fact that you're voting me for asking for a deadline is ridiculous.
There are two different issues that you are trying to make one issue. First: deadlines imposed by moderators and whether they are good for town. Second: requests for deadlines from scummy players in order to corral the town into lynching a townie.

I'll concede that on the first issue, I pretty much agree with you, it does tend to cut out the garbage. The second issue seems pretty clear to me, and my voting you for it is in no way ridiculous.
Wait wait wait. You're saying it's a scummy move because I'm scummy, but if a towny player did it, it would be a towny move?
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Post by charter »

Someone else vote LG and I will switch over to him. Don't care about your reasoning, make something up if you must.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by Farkshinsoup »

LG wrote:You're saying it's a scummy move because I'm scummy, but if a towny player did it, it would be a towny move?
Please don't put words in my mouth, LG. What I'm saying is that deadlines imposed by the moderator, of their own volition, are a different matter. The reason that I am voting for you is that you very recently were under fire for your scummy play, so the timing of YOUR REQUEST to cut debate short seems highly suspicious.

Nice try, though.
Walnut
Walnut
Goon
Walnut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Post by Walnut »

No, that post was dumb. On that same token, do you see that post as scum trying to frame you?
I am not sure I follow the reasoning that if something is poorly worded it is probably an honest townie mistake rather than scummy. I guess it goes back to the idea that there are different ways to be manipulative.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Post by Farkshinsoup »

charter, put your money where your mouth is. If you think he's scum, then vote for him. Even if you think I'm scum bussing my partner. Why does that matter?
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Farkshinsoup wrote:
LG wrote:You're saying it's a scummy move because I'm scummy, but if a towny player did it, it would be a towny move?
Please don't put words in my mouth, LG. What I'm saying is that deadlines imposed by the moderator, of their own volition, are a different matter. The reason that I am voting for you is that you very recently were under fire for your scummy play, so the timing of YOUR REQUEST to cut debate short seems highly suspicious.

Nice try, though.
Yes, exactly. You're making a none-scummy action scummy, because I'm doing it.
CF Riot
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Post by CF Riot »

Walnut, the fact that Charter's posts are worded poorly is not WHY I think they're town. I think they're town by my own interpretation of the game. I'm pointing out that because they're worded poorly it might make them appear scummier than what they really are.

It is frustrating arguing with you because I know I should answer your questions and comments and treat all game posts as relevant, but I really think you're scum so it feels like my logic is wasted because you know I'm right, you're just defending yourself because you have to.

Fark, what in your mind separates a townsperson, a scum, and a mod all deciding a deadline is appropriate? By that I mean, how can you tell the difference if they're all applying it to the same game at the same time?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Post by charter »

Fark, I already tried following you on an LG wagon and it went nowhere, I'm not going to do it again since I don't see how it will be any different this time around. Unless someone else is willing to vote LG, my vote is much better placed on you.
Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Post by Macavenger »

Ok, the long awaited Walnut case. I apologize in advance for the size of this, and anything that may not be entirely clear. Proofreading was pretty limited due to how massive this is, and because I'm damned tired of looking at it at this point. :) I'll be happy to try to clarify things if anyone has any questions about stuff.

I'm going through Walnut's history post by post here, trying to show why much of the stuff he's done is extremely scummy, and why a lot of his defenses to points that have been raised previously are basically null. Any post numbers outside of quotes below refer to Walnut viewed in isolation. I'll skip a few posts that are trivial. The abbreviation NRC will appear frequently early on, and means No Real Content.

Post 2: Notes CF/charter argument, then launches into a discussion about whether setup speculation is scummy, combined with commentary on the setup of
last
game.
NRC

Post 3: Over a day later, after some serious commentary and arguing between a few players, has nothing to say other than to point out the wiki and role flash, encouraging more setup discussion.
NRC

Post 4: More setup speculation based on the roles from last game. Makes the nebulous claim that some people may be finding the setup discussion useful. Either way, it is not in anyway
helping to find scum
, the town's main job.
NRC

Post 5: Agrees with several people pointing out hadhfang's post as scummy. Contributes nothing new to that discussion.

Post 7: Hops on hadhfang's wagon, placing him at L-2.
Walnut wrote:And, based on post #83, I would almost expect Had to be mafia and CFRiot a townie he is setting up for a fall. Maybe he is trying to use it as an argument against Charter, but I am not convinced. I have to admit that nothing he says is entirely unreasonable, but the gut feeling is there at the moment.

vote Hadhfang
This is the first he's said about hadhfang beyond "I agree this post was scummy," and is somehow enough to justify putting hadhfang at L-2, which lead to him claiming. Notice there's a lot of waffling here - almost expect, maybe, not convinced, [not] entirely unreasonable - setting himself up to jump back off.

Post 8: Unvotes hadhfang for the claim, and disagrees with a conclusion Battousai made.
Walnut wrote:@Battousai, I see what you are saying about who called you out for lurking, but I don't agree with the conclusion. Yes, if Had looks likely to be lynched early on Day 1 his scum partners could try to distract attention to lurkers to get the heat off him. Equally well townies could say "Hey, let's not lynch this guy yet until we hear a bit more from some of those who have not said much". For me, they are both valid responses, so it is kind of WIFOM.
Actually relatively helpful by Walnut's standards, but still no real effort to find the scum here - he's not pointing to or trying to find anything scummy here, just disagreeing.

Post 9: Starts pushing on Balckberry's "claim." Suggesting we lynch someone just because they've said "I have a kickass role" is scummy, because that could mean literally anything, including vanilla (which was my guess), doesn't benefit scum, and could be useful to draw an NK as demonstrated by camn's eventual full claim (or in simpler ways).

Post 10: More pushing on blackberry for bad reasons

Post 11: Short bit of waffling on blackberry. Returning to form.
NRC

Post 13: Responds to an FoS from Riot and tries to deflect attention back to blackberry.

Post 14: A long discussion about prod and replacement mechanics, attempting to look useful by using examples with blackberry.
NRC

Post 15: Rambling about blackberry replacing out, along with a statement that his replacement won't be suspected. There's no logical town reason for that, so presumably this is because he's realized at this point the blackberry hate he tried to start is going nowhere. Also mentions the trainwreck game.
NRC

Post 16: Answers a question farside asks, then questions Battousai's motives for a question. We have here our first case of Walnut scumhunting this game, halfway through page 8.

Post 18: Asks Tinsley a question, me for a clarification, then talks a bit about something Battousai said without actually saying much.

Post 19: Spends a lot of words rehashing an argument hadhfang made, with the only contribution being that he's trying to buddy with CF Riot. The content of this post could have been made to fit in a tenth the space - again, posting a lot to look active, but saying little.

Post 20: Agrees with me, than waffles around about some game theory in response to things camn said trying to look like he's adding something, but is really mostly rehashing what I said.
NRC

Post 21: Some WIFOMish comments about things Netlava and LG posted.
NRC

Post 22: After 2 days and several arguments for and against Netlava being presented, all Walnut has to say is quote of himself and a line of text to reiterate a point in it.
NRC

Post 23: Answering a question from farside. Quotes a couple things and doesn't know whether Netlava is scummy or not. Carefully avoiding taking any position on Netlava.

Post 24: Defending himself against charter's first attack. charter sort of nibbles around the edges of the real issues here, and Walnut defends decently, while not having to address the large issue of no scumhunting. A couple points I'd like to bring up:
charter wrote:Walnut in 63, massive derailing of town
Walnut wrote:Um... in post 63 I answered Shdowgirl's question about roles. I think that this was in fact a useful contribution to the town in general, and specifically as people had talked about two NKs meaning that there was a serial killer.
That particular post wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that necessary either. Trying to represent it as helpful to the whole town is definitely a stretch - at best it was useful to shadowgirl. charter could have picked much better posts to say you were massively derailing the town with. 14 would have been a much better example.

charter's next bit about role speculation in Walnut's next post Walnut passes off as answering questions from the previous post. This is accurate to a point, but Walnut still dives far harder into unnecessary speculation there than simply answering the questions requires.

Post 26: Defending against me now.
Macavenger wrote:Overall, I would probably leave my vote on Netlava for now, were it not for the fact that CF Riot and Battousai are both currently on his wagon,Walnut is waffling about joining it
Walnut wrote:I said that right now I am not committed either way on Netlava. Are you saying that to be not voting at this stage of the game is scummy?
Trying to strawman here. Voting has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that Walnut talks a lot about Netlava, but never takes any kind of firm stance, posting in a way that could easily be used to defend him (he's always scummy!) or vote him (I'm finally convinced) depending on where the wagon goes.
Walnut wrote:Mac, you keep accusing me of the same thing, in that I tend to post things I think will be aids for other peoples' thinking, rather than just saying "I suspect person x for reason y". To use a recent example, when people were assuming 2 night kills meaning that there was a serial killer, that is simply wrong. If I hadn't pointed it out, I don't know who would have considered other possibilities. CFRiot had the grace to say "Thank you for the clarification", but you vote for me for content not related to this game. As with Charter, I don't think this makes you scum, although it ranks up with the dumb townie reasons for voting for people.
The point I've been trying to drive home for a long time now, is that Walnut's explanation here is basically a way for him to post lots of content that looks game related, but isn't helping find scum. You comment on what other people say, but it's really jsut commenting and speculation. The only time up to this point you've taken a stand on something is "I think (claimed/semiclaimed) player is scummy." You odn't ask questions; you don't take a stance on broader town suspects, you don't put any effort into pushing what few people you do claim to ever want lynched.

Post 27: Another attempt at a strawman:
Tinsley wrote:I like Mac's suspicion of Batt, Walnut, and Riot, as both Batt and Walnut were already high on my list. All are currently suspicious of Netlava, two of which are currently voting him. I would think as scum Netlava would make a good first target because of his playstyle.
Walnut wrote:What? When I say it, it is cause for suspicion, but when you listen to what I say and paraphrase it, it is good reasoning?
This isn't what he was FoSing you for. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with why he thinks you're scummy, but you try to turn it around on him anyway.

Post 29: Admits to participating in setup speculation, but blames others for starting it. Participating and encouraging it is really no better. Also claims camn's claim confirms that talking about the possibility of an SK was useful - no, it still wasn't. It still serves absolutely no purpose Day 1. IF more than one person had died overnight, we could have talked about it then, although even then it wouldn't have mattered much.

Post 31:
Walnut wrote:My general tendency is to want long days to slowly build up a body of knowledge to make a decision from. Yes, on Day 1 in particular it will still be at best an educated guess, but better that than a quick lynch and not much learned from it. It is common scum play to shorten the day, and I am not going to rush in and contribute to a hurried lynch. It takes being pretty confident to vote, and I was (and am) pretty confident that Hadhfang is scum, so I voted for him.
Huge contradiction here, which has already been mentioned. There is no way Walnut could have been as confident about hadhfang early as he was claiming to require later in the game.

Also depends my first major PbP of Walnut, but only by referring back to the previous point about speculation being justified (which is false) and puts the rest down to "playstyle differences." Not really a defense. Gives a couple opinions on players, but says remarkably little in doing so. Very large post that adds amazingly little to the game.

Post 32: "Defends" the contradiction in the previous post... by pointing back to it again. Answers a question about Riot/Battousai with standard waffling, saying nothing. Also brings up the "I always die N1" schtick. Nothing here, really, except to finally jump on Netlava's wagon using the deadline as an excuse.

Post 33: Answers a bunch of questions about his play, again mostly just referring back to prior responses and such. One thing I'd like to point out:
Walnut wrote:I think here you are confusing posting with analysing the game. Scumhunting is not just about asking your own questions and having them answered, it is also reading all of the conversations going on. Whether I had posted about Hadhfang or not before voting for him is irrelevant. I felt, and do feel, pretty confident about Had. Only time will prove whether my confidence was well founded or not.
You didn't, and haven't, talked about these reasons that make you so sure in any detail. We have no way to see that you've done any such analysis.

Post 34: More defending. Claims not to have space to scumhunt because he's defending, which is fail - there's no space limit on posts. Townies make space.
Walnut wrote:Is it that if a post doesn't include a vote or at least a FOS it is not beneficial to the town?
More strawmaning, against the "you aren't scumhunting" argument.
Walnut wrote:Don't repeat the mantra- look at what I am saying, and think about it. If you had something useful to the town to say, and were aware that due to lynching or NKs you might not get a chance to say it later, why would you wait a day?
Pretty hypocritical, given you're just repeating the "I always get killed N1" mantra here. The point is that the things you were saying weren't benefiting the town. Townies have no need to worry about being killed at night. Say what's useful and don't worry about it.

Post 35: Goes after charter and Tinsley as Day 1 ends.

This was the end of Day 1. Walnut has, to this point, done almost no discernible scumhunting. He asks a couple questions of Tinsley and Battousai in the middle of the day, and indicates some reasonable looking suspicions at the end of the day. For most of the day, he does nothing to help find scum though. The vote on hadhfang has pure wagon jump written all over it, and the attempts to defend it later in the day are just contradictory and make it look worse. Through most of the second half of the day, he's just defending, and doesn't make any room for scumhunting during it at all - a fact he admitted.

On Day 2, Walnut changes his style a bit. charter, I think when you said recently that you weren't as sure about Walnut, you said it was after rereading Day 2. I suspect that's probably the reason. Day 2, Walnut abruptly starts doing some actual scumhunting. I can only assume he got coached by his buddies a bit during the night or something. There are still some telltales in his Day 2 play, however. I'm not going to analyze every post in detail for Day 2, because I'm not trying to show that none of them have substantial content here - I'm just going to draw attention to some points that stick out identifying him as scum. (Also, I don't think I have the mental stamina to keep analyzing all the tl;dr posts in extreme detail)

Post 37: Comes out swinging against charter. A few things to note here:
Walnut wrote:However, he kept on going, even when the case was well answered.
Also quotes Battousai agreeing with that sentiment. As you may be able to see from earlier in my post, I don't agree that it was well answered one bit. Answered, yes, but the answers really didn't resolve anything.
Walnut wrote:It should be noted that Charter's case on me, as much as I have been able to understand from his ravings, was based on 1) distracting the town with irrelevancies, and 2) non-committalness and lack of scumhunting. On 1) I say again what I have said all along, that everything posted can lead to something useful and on Day 2 he has already overstepped his mark on trying to direct and shutdown conversation; and on 2) I say guess what? All that conversation has been useful, as it has led to me being convinced that Charter is scum.
Your answer to 1) is blatantly wrong, as several people have pointed out, and 2) isn't really even an answer to non-scumhunting.
Walnut wrote:If Charter were lynched and came up scum, there is no way that Mac would not be the next day.
And here we're lining up a lynch after charter.

Post 45: Encourages Thesp to vote for charter even though Thesp doesn't find him suspicious.

Post 47: Putting words in camn's mouth here:
Walnut wrote:Angry and aggressive is just another form of manipulation. If he makes talking with him unpleasant, and you stop voting for him, he has manipulated you. It seems to be working, as right now people seem to be saying that Charter is playing too badly to be scum.
camn never said he was playing too badly to be scum, she said he's not manipulative in the way she would expect from scum. This is perfectly reasonable - I said something similar about acidmix last game. Obviously I was wrong in that case, but the argument is sound. That charter isn't elucidating his arguments in the best way does not make him scum, and I believe this is what camn is getting at here.

Post 48:
Walnut wrote:If by scumhunting you mean baselessly claiming that people are scum, I am indeed guilty of what you say. Compare me to Thesp- he comes out and says something along the lines of "A, B and C are the scum- thanks for coming everyone" and everyone nods approvingly, while I am a pariah because I don't. It clearly wouldn't be in favour of the town to take a considered approach. This argument by Mac is rivalling Charter at his worst.
This is a great batch of strawmaning and OMGUS wrapped up in a neat package. There's a lot more to scumhunting than making accusations, and we both know it. I challenge you to find one place where I've said I was entirely happy with Thesp's scumhunting this game. I wouldn't mind seeing him doing more of it. Whether or not Thesp has done a ton of scumhunting has no bearing on whether you have, though.

Also, in this post he tries to use his twisted interpretation of camn's words against charter. I haven't seen anyone say charter was too scummy to be scum other than Walnut.

Post 55:
Walnut wrote:Do bear in mind that no player has to come up with all of the ideas by themselves, you can say "I agree with that argument". It is not like we are rival detectives who each have to find their own evidence and are not allowed to share.
Probably covering for buddies who jumped off the charter wagon when they realized it sucked. Yes, you can say you agree in some cases. Basing your entire vote on someone else's reasoning and then abandoning it when challenged is very suspect, though, and that's what the people on charter's wagon did.

Also abandons charter's wagon himself here, jumping to Tinsley, the second-largest competitor to the Walnut wagon at the time. He doesn't really say much about Tinsley here, other than a "view tending more towards scum as the day goes on." In a prior post he sided with fark on one specific point of the Tinsley case, and that's about all he's said about Tinsley all day. Another blatant wagon jump a la hadhfang Day 1.

Post 57: Makes some arguments about Tinsley after the fact. While more than he did for hadhfang, this is still a long way from justifying the standards he claimed and used on Netlava Day 1.

So, overall summary: Little scumhunting day 1. The vote on hadhfang was a pure wagon hop, probably an attempt to draw out a claim, which unfortunately outed the cop. Makes a bunch of poor excuses when attacked, then continues referring back to them throughout most of the game. The deadline was a convenient excuse to hop on Netlava's wagon without too much suspicion, helping make it inevitable. Day 1 play overall was horrible and not in any way protown.

Day 2 play has been a more standard scum style, trying to actively manipulate the town instead of just confusing us with lots of text about nothing. charter was a great target to attack as scum - he was pushing Walnut, so getting rid of him takes off some pressure, and his posting is superficially poor, making it easier to drum up a case against him. I say superficially poor, because as has been commented by some others, he's not trying ot manipulate in any scummy way, and if you cut through some poor wording to what he's trying to say, he makes a lot of sense. Uses several manipulative tricks to try to push this wagon, succeeding reasonably well to a point, then gives up and wagon jumps on Tinsley when it's clear that isn't working.

Note also that the jump to Tinsley instead of fark somewhat implicates fark as a possible buddy here, especially combined with his play on the charter wagon. I'm not entirely certain if fark is really Walnut's buddy, or if he's just a townie who got misled by his argument on charter that Walnut is now trying to frame.

As I've stated, I don't mind the LG hate that has cropped up lately. I think there's a very good chance he and Walnut are buddies at this point, based on his play today. Also worth noting that Walnut has virtually ignored LG all game. Obviously, I still think Walnut is the surest case, and want to lynch him today.
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Post by charter »

What about Fark? Would you lynch him today? (Or ideally LG?)
Walnut
Walnut
Goon
Walnut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Post by Walnut »

I have read the whole Mac post against me, and feel that there is nothing worth answering, as it is mainly rehashing, arguments based on incorrect assumptions, oversimplifcations and "you did <insert any role neutral action> so you are scum". If anyone has any specific questions from that, I am willing to answer them.
CFRiot wrote: It is frustrating arguing with you because I know I should answer your questions and comments and treat all game posts as relevant, but I really think you're scum so it feels like my logic is wasted because you know I'm right, you're just defending yourself because you have to.
While I am sorry that I am frustrating you, think about it for a second. I may be scum or may be town. Why would you not consider my arguments on their own merits? Incidentally, I don't think you could pass off Charter's calling my action a contradiction as "poorly worded"; it was not the phrasing, it was the thought itself that was wrong.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:32 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

LG wrote:Yes, exactly. You're making a none-scummy action scummy, because I'm doing it.
No. Straw man.
LG wrote:So help me, if anyone uses the 'YOU WOULD SAY THAT SCUM' logic on me again I will explode.

LG wrote: It is rather hard to defend against someone who everyone views as 'scummy town'. Vote me or don't I'm tired of people talking about it.

You keep trying to make this argument, that people label you as scum first, and then decide to interpret your actions as scummy. That is a very convenient defense, since it allows you to avoid addressing any of the actual scumtells that you are throwing out. It also is a way of saying "poor me, I'm being persecuted unfairly" when in fact that isn't the case.
LG wrote:I have NOT read the other thread, nor do I intend to, however I think that many people (particularly scum) are accusing the same people as last time to make it easier to build a case.
Who, exactly, were you referring to here? Please elaborate.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:13 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

LG wrote:I would say we should wait for ShadowGirl, but I don't think she would contribute anything to break us out of the petty arguments.
Interesting that you asked for a deadline to be imposed 1 day before Shadowgirl was scheduled to return. Why not wait for her, see what she had to contribute, and then decide whether to ask for the deadline? Why are you so sure that she wouldn't have anything interesting to contribute? At the very least she has a vote that isn't on anyone at the moment.

Also, why not ask the town whether any of us wanted a deadline imposed before you unilaterally decided to request it?

I'm not implying that these are necessarily scum moves, I'd just like to hear your answers.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”