newbie 2060: creatures, game ofer

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 548, Bell wrote:The human brain is real dumb on pattern recognition. That's my take on this topic. Please bury it.
A skew toward false positives is pro survival in the land of tooth and claw.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by Bell »

Is clasko going to post or just in the lobby.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 549, Demainer wrote:I'm interested to know what apparent timezone I'm in.

Your early-day posts fit US Eastern and your late night posts would make you a slight bit of a nightowl if that's your timezone. Personal habits/jobs/etc can skew things.

I sometimes do multi-timezone meetings that unfortunately require me to be awake and coherent at 1 or 2 in the ayem my time.

Idic
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 540, Bell wrote:Oh, Luke's against it now. Huh.
What vote are you suggesting I am against?

I currently think that the mafia pair is ff + demainer. Of the two, I think that ff is the one more capable of leading town's votes astray on subsequent days, therefore my preferred vote is ff.

If that wagon does not seem like it will pass, I think that a miselim on Ivy would still lead to a town win (see post ), but I think a miselim on you could lead to a 50/50 situation in the future. If I cannot convince people to join me against the ff / demainer pair, I am willing to hammer Ivy right before the deadline if necessary.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Post by fferyllt »

And I think finding out that I'm town before elo is pro-town-wincon, so I'm not against being miselimed.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Post by fferyllt »

strange bedfellows, though.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Post by fferyllt »

If I'm wrong about Ivy being town I'm going to feel terrible.

Idic
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:

vote count 2.4

fferyllt (2):
Bell, Lukewarm
Demainer (2):
Ivyeo, Egix96
Ivyeo (1):
Demainer
Lukewarm (1):
Clasko

not voting (1):
fferyllt

with 7 alive, it takes 4 to eliminate a player. day 2 ends april 17th at 12:00 central US time; in (expired on 2021-04-17 12:00:00)

mod notes
  • ooba
[/area]
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 545, fferyllt wrote:
In post 541, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 532, fferyllt wrote:Put "whilst" in the thread search box at the top of the page and let me know if something catches your eye.
Oh my god. Reading the "whilst" thread made me feel physically sick to my stomach. I am going to pretend I did not read it, because the only way my brain wants to interpret it would mean that Clasko is scum, and our real town power role just did not counter claim him. I don't see a way that I can productively work towards a win if thats the case, so I am just going to ignore it, but I am actually nauseous right now. The worst possible outcome of this game would be for us to lose because our actual PR just didn't counter claim a scum

I am actually amazed that you were able to catch the weirdness of its usage while just reading through. That is mighty impressive.

Everyone else, for your own sanity, I would recommend you not actually search the thread for "whilst" lol
Sounds like you didn't see the thing that made me curious. And in fact the Clasko uses didn't stand out to me because I think his posting times fit a time zone where "whilst" is much more common than mine.

Ivy's apparent timezone kinda fits too.

Demainer's apparent timezone possibilities doesn't appear to, but they only use the word once, I think. Maybe the sprinklings of whilst in this game are contagious? I sometimes temporarily pick up words I don't usually use due to people using them around me.
I am not using any whilst logic moving forward, but this is what my brain jumped to when I first read the thread:

Whilst is not a word that is commonly used. But here are two people saying it repeatedly (clasko + ivy), and not only were they both using it, they were using it in very similar situations. Because it seems like a word people don't generally use, my brain said "this is a word that clasko really uses, and Ivyeo is picking it up from the mafia chat" or possibly vice versa.

But your timezone explanation makes much more sense lol
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Post by Bell »

Ivyeo.

I'm thinking.

My initial reads on REP in were that Clasko, Iveyeo Deminer, and endless dark had all the scum in it.

You're right that in terms of influence FF would be the better kill if you're confident they're scum because they can take off with the game and more likely than not you just won't have the votes later. I've been playing in big games so much that this game feels almost too easy to be honest. The pools so narrow that I could just throw a stone and hit scum 50% of the time. I need to make a decision now, I am literally always inclined to let FF live because they can win games single handedly, but that's nepotism. This game was easier when they hadn't replaced in because I was fairly inclined to town bin Luke. FF has both feet in this game now. She is hyper vigilant.

I am garbage at making decisions.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Post by fferyllt »

There is a grammatical rule or maybe it's like pirate's parlay -- more of a guideline -- about when to use while vs whilst where whilst is common. I can use the word properly (most of the time, I think), though I couldn't articulate the rule for love or money.

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm

Post by Bell »

Grammarly says american's tend to use while, while Brits tend to use whilst. They're otherwise interchangeable.

We must induct.

Ivy, clasko, be honest. Are you both filthy imperialists with a mickey mouse accent or are you filthly imperialists that sound like the people on TV and in movies.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Bell you're right that I"m in hyper vigilant mode now, but I am soooooooo short on sleep that vigilance =/= coherence. I'm hoping the cycle breaks tonight but if it continues my logic is going to suffer outrageously.

I wouldn't weigh the possibility of me performing late game miracles too heavily into the pros/cons.

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Post by Bell »

Same, but I'm not hyper vigilant because I didn't roll scum this game.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 559, Bell wrote:because I was fairly inclined to town bin Luke
So was I.

I really wonder if there's anything that isn't garbage that I've ginned up about this game in the last 12 hours.

I'm hopeful about your alignment.

Idic
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 554, fferyllt wrote:And I think finding out that I'm town before elo is pro-town-wincon, so I'm not against being miselimed.
If you really are town, why are you avoiding answering my questions when I have been asked you to explain your read?

If I were scum with demainer, why would I have made posts and in the game state that those posts were made? If you cannot explain it, doesn't that break the me+demainer pair? You keep saying that you are going to flip town, and then we should look at your reads. If that is what is going to happen, shouldn't you work through the apparent contradiction here?

Of course me asking you this this many times will mean nothing when you flip scum
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 563, Bell wrote:Same, but I'm not hyper vigilant because I didn't roll scum this game.
Different kind of vigilance.

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Post by Bell »

If I die Clasko did it.

Get FF.
She has ants in her pants.
Do it before I change my mind.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 565, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 554, fferyllt wrote:And I think finding out that I'm town before elo is pro-town-wincon, so I'm not against being miselimed.
If you really are town, why are you avoiding answering my questions when I have been asked you to explain your read?

If I were scum with demainer, why would I have made posts and in the game state that those posts were made? If you cannot explain it, doesn't that break the me+demainer pair? You keep saying that you are going to flip town, and then we should look at your reads. If that is what is going to happen, shouldn't you work through the apparent contradiction here?

Of course me asking you this this many times will mean nothing when you flip scum
I've told you that those posts had nothing to do with the pattern that flashed regarding your game presence as a whole.

Or I've tried to tell you. I didn't take those posts into account. Looking at them they make me question the whole pattern, and some of them are precisely why my initial read of you was town.

Without the twin pillars of Egix and Clasko town along with a sense that Ivy is alone and kinda lost in the game, I doubt I would have considered the possibility of you scum. There's still the possibility of Saudade/You being partners but I feel too exhausted to get my head around how that would work right now.

I can't hold onto a Demeaner/you team in the face of the posts. I hope the whole pattern i thing is a false positive and I don't want to be around dealing with paranoia flashes about you later in the game.

Idic
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

I really wanted to hear from Clasko and Egix before I went to bed, so I had time to respond to them / mull over their comments before the final hour of Day 2

Why did our confirmed town PR and the person they cleared have to be two of the least active players on the thread :dead:
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:40 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Bell, who could be scum with Demainer?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Egix lives in the whilst timezone. He may post in 7 or so hours?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Post by fferyllt »

maybe a little sooner since the deadline looms.

Idic
Clasko
Clasko
Goon
Clasko
Goon
Goon

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by Clasko »

In post 561, Bell wrote:Ivy, clasko, be honest. Are you both filthy imperialists with a mickey mouse accent or are you filthly imperialists that sound like the people on TV and in movies.
In post 561, Bell wrote:while Brits tend to use whilst.
XD

... I might avoid the whole "whilst" thing, even though I am genuinely intrigued!

Brit here, so there you go!

Also conversation isn't coming naturally to me rn given the many pages and posts I must work my way through and I hate skimming over anything in general.

I like fferyllt's stance in this game but ultimately endlessdark's posts and possible pairings can undo everything. I like how she is leaving no stone unturned. For the record I semi-agree with her Ivy theory about her not having a partner, and was thinking this before she brought it up.

Also:

UNVOTE: - because this isn't getting me anywhere, but I still have misgivings over Luke and have been since the beginning of D2.

Ehh... who is my scumteam right now? I'm hesitant to say Bell because I feel mafia!Saudade has a lower chance of leaving D2 given the gamestate at the time compared to town!Saudade but I've never played MS with them before, or anyone else here for that matter. FF knows them better clearly but I haven't had chance to observe previous completed games where Saud's alignment is scum OR town.

If I'm believing Ivy is partnerless for the time being, then maybe there's two in Luke/Demain/FF.

Also, 3:47AM, so... yeah, no, hello bed.
Clasko
Clasko
Goon
Clasko
Goon
Goon

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Post by Clasko »

In post 569, Lukewarm wrote:I really wanted to hear from Clasko and Egix before I went to bed, so I had time to respond to them / mull over their comments before the final hour of Day 2

Why did our confirmed town PR and the person they cleared have to be two of the least active players on the thread :dead:
Ugh... do I stay awake for 30 more minutes after all? :dead:

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”