Mini Normal 2275: Roguelikes - Day 3: Endgame!

MalcolmTucker
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:25 am

Post by MalcolmTucker »

In post 246, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 224, MalcolmTucker wrote:I'm not even sure it's that you're playing "weirdly" though, it's just that you're incredibly willing to hand out a free townread early on without much of a reason for doing so. I understand meta will often come into games and that's fine, but your posts could easily read as an opportunistic attempt to cosy up to Shoshin and get on her side early on if she's town and you're not.
In post 208, Irrelephant11 wrote:I will probably explain better at a later date.
In post 224, MalcolmTucker wrote:Your townblock, for what it's worth, gives me a similar fear...we're not that long into the game, I'm wary to put too much faith and trust in anyone at this stage.
This is fair. Does it make you think I'm scum trying to prop up a partner? Or just town who's likely to be wrong? Because, if the latter, it's only dangerous if you think one of my three townreads is scum. Let me know if you think so at any point.
Realistically I don't think we'll manage a consensus 5-6 person townblock with 0 scum. But I do think we can make one with, at most, 1 scum. And that's a pretty valuable potential town tool.

Like I get your paranoia but do you disagree with the concept of a townblock or just that i've picked three names already?
I don't disagree with the idea of a townblock in general, I'm just not too keen on ruling out certain players as mafia early on in D1. I don't particularly scum-read anyone you've put in there so far but we're only a couple of days into the game, ideally nobody should be completely free from pressure.

My gut-feeling right now is one of you/Shoshin could be mafia. Shoshin's push on me was weak and opportunistic, but if they're town and you know they're wrong could be a useful pocket for you, as I've stated. I'm liking your engagement a lot more this page though.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 221, Malakittens wrote:
In post 209, Irrelephant11 wrote:Starting a townblock

[FancyPants, BBT, Frederick]

I would put myself in it but I promised myself I wouldn't over-effort this game so I'd like some town leadership that doesn't rely on me doing too much. That said, if you three like the townblock and then decide to add me later I will not fight it, because again, that would require effort
The last time I asked to be in a townblock with you , I got rejected hardcore

<\3
I want you in my townblock! Can you post a read or two so I can see that you're town? I promise I won't dismiss your reads out of hand this time
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:31 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 250, MalcolmTucker wrote:I'm just not too keen on ruling out certain players as mafia early on in D1
Oh, well this is a playstyle difference. Ideally I like to mentally have half the playerlist in a townbin pretty early D1, so I can focus on the scummier players. If someone I assume is town suddenly scums it up, I change my reads accordingly, but generally I try to kill paranoia because otherwise D1 you just spin in paranoia circles all day. Then on D2 I re-evaluate based on flips

Nevertheless, I can accommodate you wanting to wait to make a townblock. I'll wait 48 hours and then (spoilers) will probably pick the same names, but this time you'll feel better about it. Sound good? :wink:
MalcolmTucker
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:32 am

Post by MalcolmTucker »

In post 252, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 250, MalcolmTucker wrote:I'm just not too keen on ruling out certain players as mafia early on in D1
Oh, well this is a playstyle difference. Ideally I like to mentally have half the playerlist in a townbin pretty early D1, so I can focus on the scummier players. If someone I assume is town suddenly scums it up, I change my reads accordingly, but generally I try to kill paranoia because otherwise D1 you just spin in paranoia circles all day. Then on D2 I re-evaluate based on flips

Nevertheless, I can accommodate you wanting to wait to make a townblock. I'll wait 48 hours and then (spoilers) will probably pick the same names, but this time you'll feel better about it. Sound good? :wink:
Oh you can fire ahead and form your own townblock if you wish! Not stopping you, I'm just always inherently wary D1. Like to keep an open mind both on who I suspect and whose play I'm liking. My main reasoning for the latter is good scum want to convince you they're town and so can often do a good job of that early on.
Shoshin
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 am

Post by Shoshin »

I will catch up when I get home from a business trip. On Wednesday. Apologies for this.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:36 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 253, MalcolmTucker wrote:good scum want to convince you they're town and so can often do a good job of that early on.
this is true but in my experience the best way to handle this situation is to make reads, use them, and change them later when new information arises (as opposed to not making reads, keeping people in a nebulous nullzone, and being too openminded)

The more I explain my method of play the less confident I feel that I even 100% stand by it. Also it's not really moving the game forward other than letting me understand you a bit.

Do you have a readslist, yet, Malcolm? we're past page 10 I don't think it's a crazy thing to ask for
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 254, Shoshin wrote:I will catch up when I get home from a business trip. On Wednesday. Apologies for this.
I forgive you :D
MalcolmTucker
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
MalcolmTucker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:41 am

Post by MalcolmTucker »

In post 255, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 253, MalcolmTucker wrote:good scum want to convince you they're town and so can often do a good job of that early on.
this is true but in my experience the best way to handle this situation is to make reads, use them, and change them later when new information arises (as opposed to not making reads, keeping people in a nebulous nullzone, and being too openminded)

The more I explain my method of play the less confident I feel that I even 100% stand by it.
Also it's not really moving the game forward other than letting me understand you a bit.

Do you have a readslist, yet, Malcolm? we're past page 10 I don't think it's a crazy thing to ask for
I don't think this is a bad thing. As a rule I'm generally a cautious player but try to be fairly analytical and look out for contradictions and changes in people's play, both individually and with others in the game. If I'm struggling to get into it I can sometimes appear like I'm fence-sitting a bit, probably more so when I'm town than scum.

I tend not to do full reads lists in every game because they can sometimes feel quite forced, but if you reckon it'll help can work one up later on tonight.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:13 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I'll go first then

FancyPants
BBT, Frederick, Malcolm
Shoshin, Malakittens, Lowell, Eiralox
Confidently Wrong, Cat Scratch Fever --- null
Loftwing
kenny

Hmmm I have too many townreads probably
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 am

Post by Lowell »

In post 248, MalcolmTucker wrote:
In post 247, Lowell wrote:I'm caught up. Kenny, Cats, malcolm fine for lynch. fancy begrudgingly town, mala town, irrelephant town, toffee town I guess.
Do you, uh, have any actual reasons for your thoughts?
Offhand, Cats' reaction to getting votes gives me "waah i'm caught for bullshit reasons this is so unfair" vibes. Kenny seems a little too polished with his unfrozen-caveman "i'm a newbie" gimmick. Malcolm seems overly careful and like he's hiding.

fancy gave off "town captain" scum vibes, but now I think maybe that's just who he is--that he hasn't backed off from his pedantry and wordiness is probably a good sign. mala I can't remember, just a vibe. Irrelephant mostly asking good questions, toffee I forget why but in ISO I have town read.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 am

Post by Lowell »

I'm sure there are other players as well. They're all scum probably.
Eiralox
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:07 am

Post by Eiralox »

one of those u forgot to mention is me. i'll be studying who the others are, if any. might be significant, might not.

UNVOTE: Lowell cos readz
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:12 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

VOTE: Kenny
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
Eiralox
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:15 am

Post by Eiralox »

okfor reference all those not mentioned by loweel and 'all scum proabably" are : (slow clap for da lucky winners folks)

BlueBloodedToffee
Eiralox
Loftwing
Confidently Wrong
Shoshin
Fredrick A Campbell
Eiralox
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Eiralox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:19 am

Post by Eiralox »

oh ok toffe was townread my bad. 5 scum then.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:11 am

Post by Lowell »

yeah I have 8 scum
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 am

Post by Lowell »

fred and shosh lean scum, CW lean town, and no opinion on the others
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:34 am

Post by FancyPants »

@Lowell, are your fred and shosh leans based on meta?
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 am

Post by FancyPants »

A lot of people have read Shosh one way or the other this game and he really hasn't said much at all, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

*she

I don't know how anyone without meta experience has a strong read on Shoshin. I wouldn't even say my own read is "strong" at this point.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:46 am

Post by Lowell »

In post 267, FancyPants wrote:@Lowell, are your fred and shosh leans based on meta?
This is my first game in half a decade and I don't know any of you so, no, not meta.
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 am

Post by FancyPants »

OK.

Still down to lynch Kenny, I could probably be convinced to switch to Loft, we have a week left but my two main suspects basically refuse to make any reads so I'm basically down to just hang them now. I might do a reread and some meta diving when I'm more motivated.
Confidently Wrong
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:11 am

Post by Confidently Wrong »

In post 263, Eiralox wrote:okfor reference all those not mentioned by loweel and 'all scum proabably" are : (slow clap for da lucky winners folks)

BlueBloodedToffee
Eiralox
Loftwing
Confidently Wrong
Shoshin
Fredrick A Campbell
Whats my prize? I hope its not a night 1 kill again
Confidently Wrong
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Goon

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:12 am

In post 271, FancyPants wrote:OK.

Still down to lynch Kenny, I could probably be convinced to switch to Loft, we have a week left but my two main suspects basically refuse to make any reads so I'm basically down to just hang them now. I might do a reread and some meta diving when I'm more motivated.
Lynch is against site rules to use to refer to the elimination
Confidently Wrong
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Confidently Wrong
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:13 am

In post 258, Irrelephant11 wrote:I'll go first then

FancyPants
BBT, Frederick, Malcolm
Shoshin, Malakittens, Lowell, Eiralox
Confidently Wrong, Cat Scratch Fever --- null
Loftwing
kenny

Hmmm I have too many townreads probably
I had you as possible scum until.this post - and theres never a thing as too many townreads unless you cannot have scum fit outside them

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”