Crazy (4) <- Skillit, sthar8, eldarad, Electra
Skillet (2) <- TDC, Crazy
sthar8 <- Raging Rabbit
springlullaby <- Incognito
Raging Rabbit <- iLord
Incognito <- springlullaby

Not voting: fuzzylightning, Jahudo.

Boost Count

Electra (6) <- eldarad, Raging Rabbit, TDC, springlullaby, Jahudo, fuzzylightning
springlullaby <- Jahudo
Incognito <- Skillit
eldarad <- TDC

With 12 alive, it's 7 to lynch/boost. Gotcha, top of page!
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:54 am

Post by Incognito »

springlullaby, I see your case against me, and I'll respond to it after you're done posting your thoughts on the other players like you mentioned you would.

Side note (not related to you, springlullaby): I'm getting really bored with this game. People keep promising to post but also keep failing to hold to their promise. And despite what I mentioned previously about thinking Electra might be town here, 1 post every 3 days or so that doesn't even make a strong effort to scum-hunt just isn't going to cut it. Electra, fuzzylightning, and Skillit
do stuff
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:52 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

iLord wrote:Why have two cases against Incognito at the same time with the same points, albeit one with a little less than the other?

It would be like SL saying Incognito is scummy for A, B, C, D, and E, and then me making my own case saying that Incognito is scummy for A and E.
It would also be you refining his case and getting actively involved in the attack of the player you claim to think is scum, rather than sitting in the sidelines and coaching SL while letting her take all the heat.
iLord wrote:Guilt? Are you attacking him for guilt? What's wrong with feeling guilty if you do something antitown?
In addition to what I already answered, turning it into a moral issue which sthar as a good townie felt he was compelled to apologize for takes the matter of him being scum out of the equation.
iLord wrote:"a"? Which one?
The differences between your reactions to Incog/SL and sthar/myself being somethat disturbing.

I'll ask again since you didn't quite answer this one - much of your reason for suspecting me seems to be that I "pushed" my point against sthar repeatedly. However, I did that because I was repeatedly questioned about it by other players. What is the pro town course of action in this case that would'nt have made me look scummy to you?
sthar wrote:Was sathr8’s apology affected any by what he had said earlier about hating when people answer for others? Would an apology like the one he presented be perceived differently if he was more ambivalent to this more code?
That was mentioned in the same post as the apology, that "moral code" could've been created by stharscum to turn the whole thing into a big deal that he as a humble townie sees fit to apologize for. If he'd have mentioned earlier being ambivalent to this, It'd make the possibility he's town and did see it as a big deal less likely and thus make it a much stronger tell.
Incog wrote:@Raging Rabbit: Was there any reason why you asked me about my read of Crazy in particular?
Yes.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Post by iLord »

asdfasdf
RR wrote:Yup, scum make an active effort to appear pro town while town are more concerned with looking for scum, so obviously scum have a much stronger sense of guilt when they are called on an anti-town play. For them, it means their town-act failed, while town are more inclined to think it's the other guy's fault for not reading them correctly.
However, both in hindsight and considering his latest comment, I think sthar's massclaim speculation is a pretty strong sign that he's town. Unvote.
That's weak logic - if one of them had a stronger sense of guilt, it would be town because they would feel guilty for harming to town - their faction.

Good job backing up finally, after someone attacked you for it. My suspicions of you do not falter.
SL wrote:This post is peculiar because what it does is asking for people to justify their vote on skillit, while he himself has made no commitment as to his thought on skillit's alignment - note here that this imo is in itself is a display of scumminess from Incognito, I will also further speculate that what happened there is that Incognito was been sly and he was defending skillit without seeming to, I acknowledge however that the last is a judgement call.

And to conclude, I'd like to point to skillit's boosting Incognito for absolutely lame reason. It does feel like a piece of a puzzle just failing into place, doesn't it?
Hmm, something to ponder, no doubt. I'll have to reread Incognito's posts myself once I find some time.
RR wrote:It would also be you refining his case and getting actively involved in the attack of the player you claim to think is scum, rather than sitting in the sidelines and coaching SL while letting her take all the heat.
I've already pointed out which points I feel were good against Incognito. Incognito and I have discussed them. Why should I make a formal "case" instead of helping SL refine hers?

"letting her take all the heat"? Are you saying that I have not been vocal about my opinions and suspicions regarding Incognito? Are you saying only the player that formally pushes a quote-by-quote "case" against a player is under the spotlight?
RR wrote:In addition to what I already answered, turning it into a moral issue which sthar as a good townie felt he was compelled to apologize for takes the matter of him being scum out of the equation.
I don't really get what your saying here. So you think guilt was a nulltell?
RR wrote:I'll ask again since you didn't quite answer this one - much of your reason for suspecting me seems to be that I "pushed" my point against sthar repeatedly. However, I did that because I was repeatedly questioned about it by other players. What is the pro town course of action in this case that would'nt have made me look scummy to you?
Admit that your point was weak once you realized it.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:43 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

iLord wrote:That's weak logic - if one of them had a stronger sense of guilt, it would be town because they would feel guilty for harming to town - their faction.
I whole heartedly disagree.
iLord wrote:
Good job backing up finally, after someone attacked you for it. My suspicions of you do not falter.
You're saying I wasn't attacked for it before? That's interesting, see below.
iLord wrote:"letting her take all the heat"? Are you saying that I have not been vocal about my opinions and suspicions regarding Incognito? Are you saying only the player that formally pushes a quote-by-quote "case" against a player is under the spotlight?
You definitely let her play the main role in the attack, while your own role was to coach her and calm her down. you addresed your posts to SL and avoided direct conflict.
iLord wrote:I don't really get what your saying here. So you think guilt was a nulltell?
What's not to get about
in addition
?
iLord wrote:
Admit that your point was weak once you realized it
But I didn't think my point was weak, which is why I argued back.

You're completely contradicting yourself, above in bold you attacked me for submitting to pressure and taking my case back as soon as I was pressed on it, and here all the sudden I'm to blame for being pressed on it and
not
taking my case back. I think your main concern is to make me look bad, and you're content to use two opposite views to help yourself achieve that goal. That's not the way a town player acts.
Vote iLord.
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:03 am

Post by TDC »

I'm astonished that none of the four Crazy voters bothered to explain the case on him.

---

RR: I'm confused.. do you still think your point on sthar is strong?
How much of your iLord vote is based on the apparent contradiction, and how much on him not being the main propagator of the Incognito case? (I'm asking because I don't really see where you're going with the latter, iLord's position on the Incognito-springlullaby exchange has been quite clear)
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:27 am

Post by iLord »

RR wrote:You're saying I wasn't attacked for it before? That's interesting, see below.
Someone attacked
you
for it. My vote is apparently enough to show that I mean buisness.
TDC wrote:You definitely let her play the main role in the attack, while your own role was to coach her and calm her down. you addresed your posts to SL and avoided direct conflict.
What does it matter who played the main role?

Some of my posts were directed to SL to help her reshape her case.

Others were between Incognito and I about the points I thought were valid.
RR wrote:What's not to get about in addition?
I'm still confused. In addition to what you said before, you think that it's a null tell?
RR wrote:But I didn't think my point was weak, which is why I argued back.
Although I have no way of proving it, I'm fairly sure that you realized that your point was weak after a few prods about the validity of your point.
RR wrote:You're completely contradicting yourself, above in bold you attacked me for submitting to pressure and taking my case back as soon as I was pressed on it, and here all the sudden I'm to blame for being pressed on it and not taking my case back. I think your main concern is to make me look bad, and you're content to use two opposite views to help yourself achieve that goal. That's not the way a town player acts. Vote iLord.
This is not only untrue, it's being used as a defense mechanism, something that votes should not be used for. This is completely scum blowing up under pressure, throwing a vote at your attacker.

I'm happy behind this vote.
Electra
Electra
Goon
Electra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:09 am

Post by Electra »

Sorry, I've been prodded.

I guess my issue with this game right now is that Crazy is the person I think is most likely to be scum. However, I've given my reasons for this, and voted him, and there's not much else I can do in this area because he's not making additional scummy posts (I don't think he's posted either).

The springlullaby-incognito thing, which has taken up a large area of the thread, I decided is fairly meaningless. If I were to analyze all their posts, then Incognito would come off scummier and spring would come off more town, but looking at the large picture, which is of a giant overblown _early_ attack and re-attack, I feel like the entire conversation is a null tell, and might actually lean towards both being town due to scum being less likely to commit so early. Does that make sense?

Another exchange I'm sort of eh about is the whole Raving Rabbit thing - okay, he made an argument against sthar responding to posts... how is that scummy? The point is that I don't _really_ know if responding to posts would be something a scum would do- if it had not been sthar, I might have found it strange. I think it's a feasible attack, although I wouldn't follow it. In the early game, you don't have much to go on, right? So that's why I don't see the large case that came out of this either.

Anyway, that's where I am in this game.

For the record here's my reasoning on Crazy

Antitown

1. "I'd rather play normally and then find someone pro-townish to boost." - a very safe response at the time for Mafia, when later the majority of the town decided otherwise (different thought processes between mafia and town)
2. votes skillet definitively for a not very important reason is his first real post
3. "I'm now not seeing what possible great benefit Electra would get from getting boosted (presumably as scum) that would warrant a gambit like this." - changing his mind once he sees the town consensus (other people did this too, but it's only scummy in conjunction with other things)
4. "*coughpressure* Scum vibes from TDC and RR. */pressurecough* " - in his first post, no explanation
5. ignoring sthar's post for a while
6. sthar's summary post -

"I don't see any waffling that would be indicative of a partner deciding to bus, but Crazy's poorly justified and lately applied vote highlights his other behavior, which is a shining beacon of scumminess.

In his first substantial post, Crazy notes his own inactivity and blames it on a lack of interest in the game so far, which is a weak indicator of scum in my experience so far, since early day 1 is about as boring for scum as you can get. They have no major objective other than avoiding attention and getting closer to night, and since they have no need to create any serious content, their boredom often manifests as indifference and apathy to whatever is going on.

He continues on to express suspicion of four other players, without providing any reasoning on two of them. I cannot think of any reason for both variety and inconsistancy unless he's just looking for an easy wagon. Note that Crazy's vote does go to the wagon that is the largest at this point.

He then encourages us not to worry about boosting scum, expresses unsupported suspicions of two apparently unconnected players, and buddies up to eldarad before signing off.

Was there anything protown about that post?"

His response was

>>Yeah, I was bored with the game.

>>If I want to vote somebody, I'll provide reasons why. I didn't have a strong case on either TDC nor RR, but I figured nothing could go wrong by saying that my gut spoke out against them. Obviously, if I voted for them later on I'd provide reasoning.

Isn't it completely meaningless to voice suspicions without reasons since they will disregard your suspicions?

>>I didn't say don't worry about boosting scum. We do want to boost town, but I can't imagine that scum will go all out just to get boosted.

I commented on the "go all out thing." 'He says that scum wouldn't go all out to be boosted, and I don't think that they would do something like I did, but I do think that "going all out" is not what is going to lead to being boosted. The goodest little townie is going to get boosted, and scum can certainly try to look like that. '

>>Pff, buddying up, yeah. I just said that I agreed with what he said, not that he was massively townie or anything. Don't you ever agree with people?

This is a different interpretation which is not commonly found in Mafia. :p

Protown

1. His "I'm not scum; don't worry. " While other people might consider this statement scummy, I know that this is something I sometimes say as town but never as scum. :p (keeping up my integrity a little bit in Mafia... lol)
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:34 am

Post by iLord »

Electra, you need to avoid looking at Crazy in a vacuum. Scumtells that you have experienced may not be effective here in this situation. Other stuff may be part of Crazy's normal playstyle. You need to imagine what type of Crazy would say the stuff that he's staying, and not ook for stuff that you have been told, or have expereinced as "scumtells."

I myself am not getting any scum vibes from Crazy right now - I sense genuine boredom - he's expressed as much in other games.
eldarad
eldarad
Mafia Scum
eldarad
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 am

Post by eldarad »

ILord, post 184 wrote:You did point out the points you didn't agree with.

So you don't agree with the other points?
iLord, post 189 wrote:First of all, like I have said, weak points don't weaken the good points. You're scummy because of those good points.
Ah, I see what you're trying to get at now. I don't think I agree though - I don't think you can keep a running scorecard that just count the good points and then discard the poor points. Surely the poor points can indicate a lack of sincerity in the person making the case?

My problem with springlullaby's case on Incognito is that the entire basis seems...wrong. I also think that the aggression in sl's early posts was fake. As I said at the time, I don't know whether that is because her playstyle differs from her personality but if nothing else, it bothered me enough that I don't get the townie vibes that you seem to be getting.
iLord wrote:Second of all, just read some of SL's recent posts after she started getting mad. Look at them and honestly tell me that those are coming from a scum mouth.
I don't think it was genuine 'mad.' (Although, reading #221, maybe I completely misread this...maybe I'm reading uncharacteristic anger, rather than fake anger.) I also don't accept that point that only townies get annoyed.
Jahudo wrote:@sthar8: I could ask this to a bunch of people including myself, but you have stated you find Electra most town. What have you thought about Electra’s posting since we’ve gotten off the subject of her claim and the boosting? How has she contributed since then?
You have a point that Electra has kept a low profile since her initial entrance. Her last post where she says "early game is as boring for scum as it gets" is a bit worrying, isn't it, given her apparent boredom with the game...
Boost Jahudo

Incog, post 201 wrote:eldarad, I meant to ask you about this before, but is there any reason why you seem to have an order of lynching preference?
I don't really. I guess my problem is that Crazy was coming across to me as scummy whereas I still haven't figured out if my issue with sl is a playstyle/personality thing.
Although, having said that, I'm flip-flopping all over the place at the moment. I'll be much happier when we have some dead bodies to think about.

[quote="iLord", post 203"]It's actually really simple - someone brought up the point (I think it was Eldarad) that scumElectra would have to make quite the leap of faith in terms of set-up speculation. What benefit could the scum recieve when boosted to justify what would be a very gutsy and risky scum gambit.[/quote]
Fair enough, and I agree with this point, which I made back in post 32. However, this differs somewhat from what you said at the time:
iLord, post 15 wrote:I'm wary of Electra - what she's doing is way too easy of a scum gambit for me to trust.
You also voted for me in that post. When I came up with my 'leap of faith' thing to suggest that Electa probably isn't scum you completely ignored it. If you had changed your mind following my post 32, I would have expected you to mention it. Instead, posts 36 (in which you responded to other parts of my post 32), 39 and 41 fail to even acknowledge that I had discussed why I thought Electra was townie, and certainly don't indicate your agreement with what I said.
That makes me think that you didn't agree with it at the time and it is only now, when the majority of players have agreed with my logic, that you have chosen to voice agreement.
iLord wrote:"letting her take all the heat"? Are you saying that I have not been vocal about my opinions and suspicions regarding Incognito? Are you saying only the player that formally pushes a quote-by-quote "case" against a player is under the spotlight?
But if you think Incog is scum, and that SL is missing points that indicate that Incog is scum, or else is presenting those points badly, it would make sense for you to intervene, wouldn't it?
As it is, you've been commentating from the sidelines, rather than pushing a case against Incog. In the first of the quotes in this post, you are asking me whether there are some of
springlullaby's points
that I agree with...there's no mention at all of any of your points...

unvote
vote iLord

TDC wrote:I'm astonished that none of the four Crazy voters bothered to explain the case on him.
For me it was a mixture of buddying and lurking, I guess.
Also the assumption about Electra's "information" and the fact that SL completely ignored Crazy borrowing my opinion, but chewed Incog for doing it, which - at the time - suggested to me that there might be a SL-Crazy link.
I'm not convinced that is true anymore, but I am still a bit concerned about Crazy's lack of activity and her comparative lack of opinions...
Electra
Electra
Goon
Electra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 am

Post by Electra »

iLord wrote:Electra, you need to avoid looking at Crazy in a vacuum. Scumtells that you have experienced may not be effective here in this situation. Other stuff may be part of Crazy's normal playstyle. You need to imagine what type of Crazy would say the stuff that he's staying, and not ook for stuff that you have been told, or have expereinced as "scumtells."

I myself am not getting any scum vibes from Crazy right now - I sense genuine boredom - he's expressed as much in other games.
I'm not looking at him in a vacuum, I'm looking at him in the context of this game. What is your opinion of the type of Crazy who would exhibit these scumtells?

@ eldarad - I never said that, sthar did. There's a part of my post that's a quote from sthar.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:51 am

Post by iLord »

asdfasdf
eldarad wrote:Ah, I see what you're trying to get at now. I don't think I agree though - I don't think you can keep a running scorecard that just count the good points and then discard the poor points. Surely the poor points can indicate a lack of sincerity in the person making the case?
Eldarad, think about it - how can poor points decrease the value of the good points!

Poor points can sometimes be used to show a scum-driven case, but most of the time, townies bring up poor points more (Doesn't mean that it's a town tell, though).
Eldarad wrote:I don't think it was genuine 'mad.' (Although, reading #221, maybe I completely misread this...maybe I'm reading uncharacteristic anger, rather than fake anger.) I also don't accept that point that only townies get annoyed.
You really don't think it's genuine? I get no such sentiment.

Only townies get annoyed if the person their pushing is destroying their case. Scum would react quite differently, namely continuing to push the crap points or to drop it all together. Only a townie would resort to insults.
Eldarad wrote:You also voted for me in that post. When I came up with my 'leap of faith' thing to suggest that Electa probably isn't scum you completely ignored it. If you had changed your mind following my post 32, I would have expected you to mention it. Instead, posts 36 (in which you responded to other parts of my post 32), 39 and 41 fail to even acknowledge that I had discussed why I thought Electra was townie, and certainly don't indicate your agreement with what I said.
That makes me think that you didn't agree with it at the time and it is only now, when the majority of players have agreed with my logic, that you have chosen to voice agreement.
My opinion changed at Post 55 after TDC pointed out yor point. I did not acknowledge it simply because I skimmed over it and didn't read it (Such action was the cause behind me falling hopelessly behind).

From your point of view, this point would be valid - I'm can only explain why my opinion changed where it did.
Eldarad wrote:But if you think Incog is scum, and that SL is missing points that indicate that Incog is scum, or else is presenting those points badly, it would make sense for you to intervene, wouldn't it?
As it is, you've been commentating from the sidelines, rather than pushing a case against Incog. In the first of the quotes in this post, you are asking me whether there are some of springlullaby's points that I agree with...there's no mention at all of any of your points...

unvote
vote iLord
I am intervening - I pointed out my points and I'm helping SL shape her case. My points are within SL's points - there's a reason why I asked if you agree with any of SL's points.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:26 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

TDC wrote:RR: I'm confused.. do you still think your point on sthar is strong?
I still think it's a mild towntell, it's balanced out by sthar's massclaim speculation being a towntell in hindsight.
TDC wrote:How much of your iLord vote is based on the apparent contradiction, and how much on him not being the main propagator of the Incognito case? (I'm asking because I don't really see where you're going with the latter, iLord's position on the Incognito-springlullaby exchange has been quite clear)
Eldarad put this well in his last post, I think coaching SL from the sidelines instead of directly attacking Incog himself, and in particurlar addressing his posts to SL rather than Incog, is non-confrontational in a very scummy way.

I'm voting iLord for a combination of being against discussing boosts (minor), coaching SL, misrepping my case completely and condraticting himself in further attempts to make me look scummy.
iLord wrote:I'm still confused. In addition to what you said before, you think that it's a null tell?
In addition to what I said before, by apologizing and turning the attack to a moral issue, sthar takes the scuminess of his actions out of the equation and displays himself as a repenting townie. Therefore the apology is also a non-direct defense, which serve stharscum's interests.
iLord wrote:This is not only untrue, it's being used as a defense mechanism, something that votes should not be used for. This is completely scum blowing up under pressure, throwing a vote at your attacker.
I like how you bring up me "blowing up under pressure" and all that jazz here to avoid explaining what makes it untrue, since you evidently haven't figured out a way to try and explain your contradiction away yet.

In the same post, first you say I'm to blame for taking back my case as soon as I was attacked, then all the sudden I actually
was
attacked earlier and am to blame for
not
taking my case back. Explain how that's untrue.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Post by iLord »

RR wrote:In addition to what I said before, by apologizing and turning the attack to a moral issue, sthar takes the scuminess of his actions out of the equation and displays himself as a repenting townie. Therefore the apology is also a non-direct defense, which serve stharscum's interests.
I think Occam's razor serves us best here - maybe Sthar8 says he's sorry,
because he genuinely feels sorry
, rather than this dissembling you state that he's doing.
RR wrote:I like how you bring up me "blowing up under pressure" and all that jazz here to avoid explaining what makes it untrue, since you evidently haven't figured out a way to try and explain your contradiction away yet.

In the same post, first you say I'm to blame for taking back my case as soon as I was attacked, then all the sudden I actually was attacked earlier and am to blame for not taking my case back. Explain how that's untrue.
I thought I had explained it, but I in fact had not.

There is no contradiction - you are scummy for pushing the point against sthar8 in the first place. Not taking back the attack after the other players pointed out it's weakness when I believe you realized it was scummy confirmed that it was not a town mistake.

Now, as soon as I back up my stance on your attack with a vote, you back out of the spotlight, stating that you just found that your vote was not in fact a scumtell.

I do admit it's not really "blowing up." It's more like how I would've expected you to act as pressured scum - attempting to set-up contradictions in my speech to defend against my attack, all the while backing off the point my original case was based upon.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Post by Incognito »

Unvote
Vote: iLord

I really, really,
really
like this wagon. See my previous points about iLord for my reasoning, and I pretty much agree with the points Raging Rabbit and eldarad have just mentioned as well. Yes, I still think springlullaby stands a strong chance of being scum, but I can certainly support this push.

Not sure when's the next time springlullaby will post so I figure I might as well respond to her points now also.
springlullaby, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343306#1343306]in her 222[/url], wrote:There is no perfect case, especially on day 1, and in mafia you could pretty much dismiss anything by virtue of giving the benefit of the doubt if you were thus inclined. But thing is, you've got to make the leap somewhere, somehow, if you want to move things along. That is why in essence the 'reserving judgement being protown' argument is in my view not a good defence.
Yes, of course a pro-town player has to make the leap somewhere, but I still fail to see what's wrong with not making that leap some time later in the game. You began attacking me since
page 4
of this thread for this very same point that you're raising now. I've adamantly stated that I don't think the information that I had gleaned up until that point was adequate enough for me to come to a solid enough conclusion about what I think about someone's alignment. Instead of attacking someone at random early in the game, I chose to ask probing, game-related questions to get a feel for the players and to try to get discussion moving away from the high level of theory discussion that was being had early on. There's nothing wrong with that. Since that point, I've given my own opinions about players and have been taking stances.
springlullaby, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343306#1343306]in her 222[/url], wrote:In addition, I think that wanting to reserve judgement hints heavily at self-preservation being a big motivation in one's play. In clear, I think Incognito has been sending up 'I may be blue' warning signs to town but you see, I do not think there is a role in this game that warrants such a strongly hinted at subtext beside scum.
I've responded to this point previously, so I will not respond to it again.
springlullaby, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343306#1343306]in her 222[/url], wrote:2. I do see a pattern of OMGUS in Incognito's play. When left 'unattended' you can see him going about what I see as asking an endless stream of questions with no perspective in sight. But he does comes alive when directly under fire, putting my case on him aside, see his reaction to iLord.
I've already explained the motivation for my earlier questions, but I guess you still think they were not game-related for whatever reason. Do you think my more recent questions still have no perspective? Do you not see the issues within the points that I've raised against iLord and other players, and can you not see how my questions towards him and others especially as of recent might be helpful in gauging whether or not someone's scum?

Also, I've probably been the most active player in this game and have been generating my own content through scum-hunting even while I've had to persistently defend myself. I think you're very much incorrect when you say I "only come alive when under fire", and I suspect the other players in the game can look through my posts fairly easily and see how false this is.
springlullaby, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343306#1343306]in her 222[/url], wrote:This combined with his inability to formulate an original view of anything, makes me think he is a pretty good picture of reactive scum play.
Anything at all?
Really?
I suspect you're talking about my agreeing with eldarad's point on Electra. That's probably the only area of the thread where I've been slightly unoriginal. In any case, I agreed with eldarad because what he said made sense. There's nothing wrong with that. I didn't blindly follow or anything along those lines; I pretty clearly stated why I agreed with his logic and explained in as much detail as I could why I felt the way I did. Aside from that agreement with him, I think I've done a fairly good job of bringing up original points and perspective. I can point to specific areas of the thread to demonstrate this fairly easily.
springlullaby, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343306#1343306]in her 222[/url], wrote:Later, there is a post from Incognito signalling that skillit is at L-2.

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 85#1324185

This post is peculiar because what it does is asking for people to justify their vote on skillit, while he himself has made no commitment as to his thought on skillit's alignment - note here that this imo is in itself is a display of scumminess from Incognito, I will also further speculate that what happened there is that Incognito was been sly and he was defending skillit without seeming to, I acknowledge however that the last is a judgement call.
First, admittedly, when I pointed out that Skillit was at L-2, I forgot about the "nobody will be lynched before two people get boosted" mechanic.

Second, the fact that I was repeatedly questioning Skillit early on should pretty much indicate that I thought Skillit's early posts were fairly suspicious. I very rarely spend my time repeatedly questioning someone who I find to be seemingly pro-town - that would just be a huge waste of my time and effort since I'm (for the most part) trying to find scum, no?

Third, I called for people to explain their votes because of what I mentioned here:
Incognito, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1325440#1325440]in my 12th post[/url], wrote:No, I don't think he's in any real danger right now either, but I suspect that the wagon that's formed on Skillit is not a random D1 wagon being put forward to figure things out from people -- it seems like a more serious wagon. Therefore, I mentioned that because I'd like for the people who are still on his wagon who haven't particularly elaborated further on what they thought about Skillit's more recent posts to own up to their own votes. I felt like some of the votes were still a bit wagony.
While I did find Skillit's behavior early on suspicious, I'm not full of myself nor am I silly enough to think that I'm soo good of a player that I thought I found scum that early in the game
and
that the players who were voting Skillit were all pro-town players who were agreeing with the points being raised against him. I saw it as a win-win situation: if Skillit really is scum, then we could easily look back at that wagon that formed on him early-on, determine the reasons certain people jumped on that wagon, and figure out which votes (if any) were sincere and which ones were insincere. If Skillit is town, then the same thing applies, and we could figure more out about the possible alignments of the players involved.

I'm tempted to boost-hammer Electra since her last two posts have given me slightly better vibes even though I disagree with her conclusion about Crazy, but I suppose I could wait a little longer before doing that.
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Post by Incognito »

Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1343765#1343765]in his 227[/url], wrote:
Incog wrote:@Raging Rabbit: Was there any reason why you asked me about my read of Crazy in particular?
Yes.
Raging Rabbit, would you please go into your reasoning?
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Post by Elmo »

Skillit is cattle-prodded and threatened with replacement. fuzzylightning, Crazy, and sthar8 have been prodded.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Post by Jahudo »

Raging Rabbit wrote:However, I did that because I was repeatedly questioned about it by other players. What is the pro town course of action in this case that would'nt have made me look scummy to you?
I can agree that many more people focused on your vote than on sthar answering another person’s question, but since you placed and held a vote on sthar it is only natural that you would have to back up your suspicion.

Why in particular did you think sthar’s massclaim speculation makes him town enough to unvote him? Is trying to look pro-town vs acting pro-town relevant to how sthar discussed the massclaim theory?
sthar wrote: Was sathr8’s apology affected any by what he had said earlier about hating when people answer for others? Would an apology like the one he presented be perceived differently if he was more ambivalent to this more code?
Raging Rabbit wrote:That was mentioned in the same post as the apology, that "moral code" could've been created by stharscum to turn the whole thing into a big deal that he as a humble townie sees fit to apologize for. If he'd have mentioned earlier being ambivalent to this, It'd make the possibility he's town and did see it as a big deal less likely and thus make it a much stronger tell.
Just for clarification, the “sthar” quote was by me addressed to RR and not from sthar’s apology post. I also don’t understand why you think he should have made his ambivalence to this faux pas earlier on? He said he hated when people did that the moment he realized he did it. I don’t see how this is relevant speculation to what happened.
eldarad wrote:You have a point that Electra has kept a low profile since her initial entrance. Her last post where she says "early game is as boring for scum as it gets" is a bit worrying, isn't it, given her apparent boredom with the game...
Boost Jahudo
First off, thanks. Second, I still think it’s a good move and a safe move to boost Electra. I don’t think that her low profile would be a big issue if she was not at B-1 for boosting, which has a similar feeling to having a confirmed townie. You expect them to act townie and when they don’t it stands out more. And it feels like several people have been catching boredom in this game, so maybe that inspires more boredom?
eldarad wrote:I am still a bit concerned about Crazy's lack of activity and her comparative lack of opinions...
Seconded. Crazy and also skillit I think are looking worse because of their absense.
TDC wrote:I'm astonished that none of the four Crazy voters bothered to explain the case on him.
You previously said you didn’t understand the case on Crazy and asked to be clued in. Did the lack of a response make you think about the legitimacy of the case? What about the response you got after you asked again? Also what do you think about the Crazy case now?
iLord wrote:Although I have no way of proving it, I'm fairly sure that you realized that your point was weak after a few prods about the validity of your point.
He didn’t unvote after any particular pressure but after something that sthar did which had occured after amounting pressure but might not be related. I’m still not sure the unvote was as serious as the initial vote.
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:55 am

Post by TDC »

Jahudo wrote:You previously said you didn’t understand the case on Crazy and asked to be clued in. Did the lack of a response make you think about the legitimacy of the case?
I didn't understand it when I asked, so obviously this didn't change when nobody explained it.
Jahudo wrote:What about the response you got after you asked again?
I share iLord's feelings towards Electra's case. I, too, see Crazy genuinely bored.
eldarad wrote:For me it was a mixture of buddying and lurking, I guess.
Also the assumption about Electra's "information" and the fact that SL completely ignored Crazy borrowing my opinion, but chewed Incog for doing it, which - at the time - suggested to me that there might be a SL-Crazy link.
I'm not convinced that is true anymore, but I am still a bit concerned about Crazy's lack of activity and her comparative lack of opinions...
Now, I think I've asked this before, but where did Crazy make any assumption about Electra's "information"? RR and iLord where the people talking about cop investigations.
The second reason seems to be a better reason to vote for springlullaby than for Crazy to me.
Jahudo wrote:Also what do you think about the Crazy case now?
I still think it's pretty weak.
I'm not quite sure what to think about that, though. The wagon was on four votes for a pretty long time, yet none of the voters seemed really interested to push it any further.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:53 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

iLord wrote:I think Occam's razor serves us best here - maybe Sthar8 says he's sorry, because he genuinely feels sorry, rather than this dissembling you state that he's doing.
That logic can be applied to each and every scumtell possible. "Maybe he said X because he
genuinely
thinks X?" Yes, it's obviously possible, but X is also a comfortable tactic for scum imo and therefore worthy of suspicion.
iLord wrote:There is no contradiction - you are scummy for pushing the point against sthar8 in the first place. Not taking back the attack after the other players pointed out it's weakness when I believe you realized it was scummy confirmed that it was not a town mistake.

Now, as soon as I back up my stance on your attack with a vote, you back out of the spotlight...
So I realized I was seen as scummy but didn't take it back, which according to you is scummy, but then all the sudden you OMG
vote
me and I become panicked scum and unvote?

If I was already aware I was under negative attention and chose to stick with my opinion, why would one vote make me go all panicked? This is just really contrived.
iLord wrote:stating that you just found that your vote was not in fact a scumtell.
Another misrep, I never said that I no longer consider it a scum tell. I said that integrating another factor into the picture makes sthar look a lot less likely to be scum now.
iLord wrote:I do admit it's not really "blowing up." It's more like how I would've expected you to act as pressured scum - attempting to set-up contradictions in my speech to defend against my attack, all the while backing off the point my original case was based upon.
What's the "orignial point" I'm trying to avoid, pray tell? All I see is two seperate points that completely contradict each other and a contrived explanation trying to link them.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:07 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Incog wrote:Raging Rabbit, would you please go into your reasoning?
Why is that so importatnt to you?
Jahudo wrote:I can agree that many more people focused on your vote than on sthar answering another person’s question, but since you placed and held a vote on sthar it is only natural that you would have to back up your suspicion.

Why in particular did you think sthar’s massclaim speculation makes him town enough to unvote him? Is trying to look pro-town vs acting pro-town relevant to how sthar discussed the massclaim theory?
Yes, but it's only natural for me to have to repeat my logic when questioned about it and isn't a repeated pushing/forcing of my case like people tried to display it as. The massclaim speculation isn't a good move for scum because it draws attention to them and their roles, and makes any convincing fakeclaims they may have ready not as good since the town sees how insistent they were on claiming it. Also the way he chose to phrase his offer it feels very pro town in hindsight.

[quote="]Just for clarification, the “sthar” quote was by me addressed to RR and not from sthar’s apology post. I also don’t understand why you think he should have made his ambivalence to this faux pas earlier on? He said he hated when people did that the moment he realized he did it. I don’t see how this is relevant speculation to what happened. [/quote]

This speculation isn't relevant at all actually, it's answering a question you asked.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:09 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Bah, quote tags went awry. Last quote is also Jahudo.[/quote]
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:27 am

Post by iLord »

asdfasdf
Jahudo wrote:He didn’t unvote after any particular pressure but after something that sthar did which had occured after amounting pressure but might not be related. I’m still not sure the unvote was as serious as the initial vote.
He said "In hindsight along with his latest comment" or something like that. "hindsight" is a key excuse for scum to back off.
RR wrote:That logic can be applied to each and every scumtell possible. "Maybe he said X because he genuinely thinks X?" Yes, it's obviously possible, but X is also a comfortable tactic for scum imo and therefore worthy of suspicion.
First of all, it can't be applied to all scumtells - scumtells are by definition actions that are indictive of scum.

Second of all, just because it can be applied to some scumtells doesn't mean that it should. It is needed here because it's ridiculous to assume that RR is thinking all of this when he could just feel guilty, something that is not unusual among townies.
RR wrote:So I realized I was seen as scummy but didn't take it back, which according to you is scummy, but then all the sudden you OMG vote me and I become panicked scum and unvote?

If I was already aware I was under negative attention and chose to stick with my opinion, why would one vote make me go all panicked? This is just really contrived.
You're not looking at my points.

The two backing offs are different - backing off after your point is attacked and shown to be weak is good pro-town action. Not backing off after you realize that your point is weak, and then backing off after someone attacks you with a vote is scummy. It's what scum do when they are attacked for attacking another player for a weak reason.

The basis behind my attack is that the backing offs are different - you can't look at them alone, but you have to look at them in context.
RR wrote:Another misrep, I never said that I no longer consider it a scum tell. I said that integrating another factor into the picture makes sthar look a lot less likely to be scum now.
I don't remember you saying this.

What other factors would this be?
RR wrote:What's the "orignial point" I'm trying to avoid, pray tell? All I see is two seperate points that completely contradict each other and a contrived explanation trying to link them.
Your continued attempts to twist my attacks are noted - scum scrambling for methods of defense no doubt.

The original point was the folly of your suspicions, to which you have already conceded.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:34 am

Post by Incognito »

Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1345819#1345819]in his 245[/url], wrote:
Incog wrote:Raging Rabbit, would you please go into your reasoning?
Why is that so importatnt to you?
It's important because that type of question is usually the type of question a person asks when he or she is trying to draw connections between players. I'm generally leery of those types of questions in the cases where I can find no underlying basis for them, so I figured I'd ask you for your reasoning.
Electra
Electra
Goon
Electra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Post by Electra »

I think it's possible that Crazy could be bored, especially since he was prodded in another game I'm in too. However, my main issue with him is not the lack of posting (the only point related to this was #5) but with the nature of his posts. I would like a detailed response from him to the points I made two posts ago, mainly the thought processes he had during points 1 & 2, and then a response to my response to his post. :p

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”