eldarad
Mafia Scum
eldarad
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Post by eldarad »

sthar8 wrote:
eldarad wrote: I'd rather you hadn't mentioned it, but meh.
Why?
If Incog is scum, and he is trying to buddy up to me, I'd rather he didn't realise that I had noticed. That way, he'd keep doing it - there would be a far stronger buddying case if it continued into Tomorrow.
As it is, I don't think you can say Incog is buddying up to me at the moment because of what I described before (similar playstyle, the recent game, and just agreeing on stuff).
Guardian wrote:I would like everyone to let the group know what they think about

Incognito's dismissive-ness of arguments against him in general
My recent points against Incognito
Incognito in general
I'm not really seeing the dismissiveness that you describe, just as I didn't see it when springlullaby was accusing Incog of a similar thing.

I don't find your recent points persuasive. Again, they are pretty similar to sl's in many ways to the extent that I am a bit surprised that you have adopted so many of the positions sl held.

I don't see Incog as scummy, but I was keeping an eye on the potential buddying link. That's pretty much gone out of the window now...
But yeah, overall I'm seeing Incog as town, but not safe enough to boost.
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:45 am

Post by TDC »

Guardian wrote:TDC, why does your read that SL is more likely scum than Incognito come from meta-ing her? You said in the same post that one game is not much to construct a meta from.
As in, if there were more games where this happened, I'd be pretty sure. As it is, I only have a lean.
TDC, why does my being more likely scum than Incognito make me your third choice of who to lynch? Do you think one of us must be scum? Are we about equal and he is fourth? Or why?
No, it is of course possible that both of you are town. I'm saying that if one of you is scum, I'd place my bet on you, rather than him.
That I'm comparing you two should not be much of a surprise, seeing that sl had not done much more than argue with Incognito, and considering that both of you claim to be pretty sure the other is scum.
Incognito is pretty much a null read for me.
Why is trying to discredit Electra suspicious?
Why would scum not have an interest to discredit her? (Assuming she is town, which, as I've explained, I think is very likely).
What makes you think I have SL-like tunnel vision?
I would've expected a replacement to take a deep breath and reconsider. Instead you're just continuing where she left off.

---
sthar8 wrote:None of this is indicative of alignment, however. I can point you to several examples of his scum play, but Skillit has only once received a town PM to my knowledge. I'm eager to hear Mana_Ku's opinions on the game as well.
Do you happen to have a link to the one game where he's been town?
What do you think I will learn from a Crazy-meta? My time is limited and I'd like to focus the search if possible.
That he exhibits this kind of "apathy" independent of alignment.
As for his "following the crowd," Crazy's vote, his support of eldarad, support of Electra, and support of Incog over SL all tag along with the majority of opinions expressed before him. I think this is happening too often for coincidence.
I see. I guess I'll need to revisit the timing of those actions. (Because in themselves they are pretty similar to mine, so I guess your point here is the timing, right?)
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 am

Post by Elmo »

Day 1, Vote Count #11 - Lynching

Huntress (3) <- Mana_Ku, sthar8, Electra
iLord (2) <- Raging Rabbit, eldarad
Mana_Ku (2) <- TDC, Huntress
Raging Rabbit <- iLord
Incognito <- Guardian
Guardian <- Incognito

Not voting: fuzzylightning, Jahudo.

Boost Count

Electra (5) <- eldarad, Raging Rabbit, TDC, Jahudo, fuzzylightning
TDC (3) <- Incognito, Raging Rabbit, sthar8
sthar8 (2) <- Guardian, iLord
Guardian <- iLord
Incognito <- Mana_Ku
eldarad <- TDC
Jahudo <- eldarad
iLord <- Guardian

With 12 alive, it's 7 to lynch/boost. Huntress replaces Crazy! And there was much rejoicing! I'm giving fuzzylightning a couple more days before I start looking for a replacement; he has still not picked up his prod.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:39 am

Post by Huntress »

Hi! I'm reading and will catch up asap.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 am

Post by Incognito »

Just to complete the cycle, yes, eldarad and I just finished playing Mini 594 with one another. Yes, I have awesome meta on eldarad -- I didn't spend hours on end researching his games during end-game just to completely forget everything about his playing style overnight. Yes, eldarad looks fairly town to me so far. Yes, I do have a tendency to buddy up to people that I think are town even when I'm town (see Ether and me in that very same game). I haven't intentionally done this in this particular game, but I have found myself agreeing with a lot of points eldarad has made, and eldarad has made it a point to mention positive things about me in this game as well. Comprende? Bueno.

sthar8, you mentioned that you initially thought springlullaby and I could have been distancing scum buddies early on due to our back and forths. What do you think of the iLord <-> Raging Rabbit exchange? I see you still have both in your top three but do you think they could be scum with one another or is it an independent kind of thing?

Jahudo, whatcha thinking?

Hey, Huntress. Welcome to the game. :]
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:40 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

I can't remember where it was dropped - or even who dropped it. Now that I've realized it, I've resumed pursuing it.
Again, that doesn't follow with your earlier accusation that I'm intentionally trying to drop it.
I'm trying to get your specific opinion on how scum would react to such a situation. You don't have to be scum to answer that question - to make it that you can answer how would you react if you were scum.
1. Your question was "what would scum do", not "what would you do if you were scum".
2. What I would do depends on who my buddies are, what tactic I have in mind and what mood I happen to be in at the time. Since I'm town here, I really couldn't tell you.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Backing off once a point is proven to be weak, once you realized that you've done something wrong, or once you realize that your point is weak, is town (you've agreed on this point). Signals are this are acknoledging your point is weak, and pointing out how you are wrong and how you realized.

Backing off after being attacked (the player thinks your scum) is a scummy action and looks completely different from backing off of a weak point. Some ways that it is different is like when you pointed out another point as a reason to back off, and when you mentioned that you are looking in hindsight.

I don't understand the where the last of your listed backing off comes into play.
iLord wrote:4. No, you didn't unvote as soon as I voted you. After I made it clear that I was confident that you were scum, you attempted to mitigate the brunt of my attack by backing off.
Right here.

Before I argue this further - now that you realize I never really backed off the point but unvoted based on an unrelated one, do you still find my unvote suspicious?
Mana_Ku
Mana_Ku
Goon
Mana_Ku
Goon
Goon

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:41 am

Post by Mana_Ku »

I had some trouble in RL. I'll post my analysis tomorrow. I'm sorry for taking some time working on my analysis.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:06 am

Post by iLord »

RR wrote:Again, that doesn't follow with your earlier accusation that I'm intentionally trying to drop it.
I said that you were trying to shift attention away from it. And how successfully you have done that!
RR wrote:1. Your question was "what would scum do", not "what would you do if you were scum".
2. What I would do depends on who my buddies are, what tactic I have in mind and what mood I happen to be in at the time. Since I'm town here, I really couldn't tell you.
RR, how do you scumhunt? Do you not figure out what scumplayer would do in a certain situation and see if player matchs his scum mold? I'm asking for what scumtells would you be looking for if a player is called out for a weak point.
RR wrote:Right here.

Before I argue this further - now that you realize I never really backed off the point but unvoted based on an unrelated one, do you still find my unvote suspicious?
My previous points about backing-off are now not completely valid. I however, do think that this is a valid route of questioning:

What made you reconsider your view on sthar8 and look back at his massclaim speculation?
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:24 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Guardian wrote:I would like everyone to let the group know what they think about

Incognito's dismissive-ness of arguments against him in general

My recent points against Incognito

Incognito in general
Incog definitely has been dismissive of SL, and took a patronaizing tone in the process - which is her stated reason for replacing out. While an overreaction on her part, I do think his approach was rather unpleasant for her, and somewhat scummy to boot. A related matter which concerns me more is the process of him going from finding her pro town for making a case against him to finding her scummy for it, and finally voting her. I noticed this before but it seems much worse after rereading him, I'll go into details:
Incog wrote:Glad to see you getting more involved now, springlullaby. I almost forgot you were even in this game. Addressing your points.
Some of your points seem like a bit of a stretch to me, which is a bit bothersome. I'll try and take it as a slight pro-town sign that you've called me of all people out on certain things when I've pretty much had absolutely nothing directed at me and have been finding myself trying to create my own content to get involved in. But yeah, there ya go.
He's been called out on this before, complimenting her like that for attacking him is quite absurd. He makes a real effort to appear so unselfish and pro town that attacking him is cause for a heads up, and then sounds like some sort of disappointed patron when he notes some of SL's points being "a bit bothersome", which off course is what a case against someone is supposed to be for him, but is willing to bite his lip and still take it as a "slightly pro-town sign".
And who are you, the Neils Bohr of Mafia or something? Have you been running statistical analysis to come forward with these numbers, or are you just pulling them out of your ass to help add even more weighted bombast to an already weak case? Have you considered that it's usually a good idea to reserve judgment on people because it's, oh, I don't know, a bad thing when you find yourself running up on someone who ends up being innocent? Is it abnormal for someone to not know who exactly is scum on page fucking 4 of the thread and who is instead choosing to use this early time to try and figure people out?
Here he does a 180 degree switch of tone and is acting all annoyed suddenly, like SL deserves punishment for not abandoning the case even after he made the effort to consider it a pro town sign before.
And I'm trying to take it as a positive sign because I know that my immediate impression from your attack on me is that it's slightly scummy for stretching the truth the way you have. Instead of immediately jumping to conclusions about your alignment, I'll continue trying to engage in conversation with you to see if you genuinely believe the points you're raising against me or if they're merely contrived and created to paint me in a bad light. Usually when someone makes a case against me, I can sometimes see where the person is coming from and why the person might think something I mentioned gave them a bad vibe. But with you, I really can't see that, and I'm becoming more and more curious about what your alignment really could be.
Here he goes back to being somewhat of a nice guy, and is willing to give her another chance and continue discussion to find out whether she "genuinely believes" the points she makes. His reason for not believing them is finding them weak, and I don't see how he could possibly suddenly decide she's genuine unless she takes back the points.
I really do find myself most troubled with springlullaby's attack against me and am having a hard time believing it could be coming from town. I've been attacked before in past games, and I feel like I can usually understand what the person who's attacking me for has a problem with and can usually tell when an attack against me is a bit misguided. I've reread the thread a number of times and did a focused read on myself to see if I can genuinely find myself agreeing with the points springlullaby raised against me, and I just can't.
I'd totally expect him to vote her by now since it's obvious he claims to find the attack completely unreasonable, but Incog makes a strong effort to show everyone he's willing to give SL a strong benefit of doubt and will only vote her when all else fails.
What he's saying about usually understanding where attacks against him come from sounds really odd. Incog, do you often find yourself really agreeing with points made against you? Assuming you're town, how can an attack against you be anything but either scumdriven or misguided? I have a hard time believing you're always so soft on people attacking you.
I've tried to think about reasons for why a hypothetical pro-town player might say something like this when she couldn't have possibly been tabulating this kind of data on her own and really the only conclusion I could come up with is if said pro-town player was suffering from a bout of tunnel vision. But tunnel vision on page 4 of the thread? I just can't convince myself that this was the reason for her to bring these numbers up and use them against me.
This is followed by finally voting SL, after all else has failed and logic leads him to the conclusion that the chance for SL to be
this
wrong and town is slim.

All of the things quoted here have little to nothing to do with actual rebutting of her points, this whole process just seems meant to make his vote look as justified and not OMGUSy as possible and cast Incog and a pro town light as a well thought out and considerate player, while making SL and her case look ridiculous. I just don't think all this behavior that keeps changing from fatherly to patronizing is at all natural, and especially dislike how he keeps mentioning other "good" attacks against him to make hers look all the more unreasonable.
I also disagree with both you and sthar8's mentioning that springlullaby's attack comes across as pro-town for pressuring me the way she has. The only time I've had a full-on attack against me this early in a game for just about the same level of ridiculous reasons as this one was in Pick Your Poison 3 and that was from Sarcastro who was scum. I think what matters is the context. Do you think springlullaby's points were valid? Did you think they were strong enough for her to actually be pushing for my lynch? I don't think this is just simple pressure coming from her like you're making it out to be.
The Sarcasto example is far from proving anything, you can't deduce SL's scum based on one other case which you find subjectively similar. Also the "do you think they (her points) were strong enough for her to actually be pushing for my lynch?" question is odd, I dislike how suddenly pushing for your lynch (voting for you, basically) is a such a big deal, while originally you considered it a towntell because it's good for people to question you. You go from one opinion to it's complete opposite just to fit the rethoric you're currently using.
About that: Yeah, I do think it's mildly pro-town to maybe shift some attention onto someone who did not have the spotlight put on him or her. Those feelings changed when I saw the points that she was actually trying to use to push for my lynch and how incorrect they were. That's what I was trying to get at.
Didn't you see these points before? Could you give some examples of games where you found points raised against you "correct" and continually considered attacking you a towntell?

There's also the correlating matter of Incog sometimes going out of his way, without relation to SL, to show us how much of a good townie he is. I think true townies would find this less necassary. Examples:
I posted that link because I think one of the points of your "case" against me focused on how I didn't immediately reveal my own thoughts with respect to the answers I received to my own questions and how you supposedly perceived this as scummy because I wasn't revealing my own insight with respect to my position on the other players' alignments. I was using that link to show you that when I'm ready to make my thoughts clear on why I think a particular person is scum, I'll do it in typical Incog-fashion by posting a well-elaborated, thoughtful case against said person. I haven't garnered enough information from this game yet to do so though obviously.
Also, I've probably been the most active player in this game and have been generating my own content through scum-hunting even while I've had to persistently defend myself. I think you're very much incorrect when you say I "only come alive when under fire", and I suspect the other players in the game can look through my posts fairly easily and see how false this is.
In fact I haven't seen Incog do much scumhunting except for above trail on SL and making a case on iLord after I asked him to name a second subject. For the "most active player in the game", I don't think of that as much.

About Guardian's points, I agree with some of them, mostly Incog's use of Guardain's OMGUSy meta as a defense being unreasonable and Incog going back to vote SL only after Guardian replaced her being odd. Combined with the above points, this definitely turns Incog into a top suspect along with iLord, and I need to reevaluate which one I find scummier.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:33 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

iLord wrote:I said that you were trying to shift attention away from it. And how successfully you have done that!
How exactly have I done that?
RR, how do you scumhunt? Do you not figure out what scumplayer would do in a certain situation and see if player matchs his scum mold? I'm asking for what scumtells would you be looking for if a player is called out for a weak point.
Well, I certainly don't usually take the time to look at things before they're responded to and make a list of how I would take each respone. The number of possible responses in a given scenario is usually huge, and such a tactic therefore becomes futile. I mostly scumhunt by looking back at things already said rather than specualting on what's gonna be.

Also, I already gave you some far fetched examples of stuff I would find scummy in such a situation. Interpertaion of other more common actions demends specific circumstance.
What made you reconsider your view on sthar8 and look back at his massclaim speculation?
Someone said something about sthar's massclaim speculation, I don't quite recall the exact post but I thought I'd do a recap on it and see if I'm missing something.

Do you think I went back looking for reasons to unvote him because I was scared by your attack of me?
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by Incognito »

Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1356743#1356743]in 333[/url], wrote:Incog, do you often find yourself really agreeing with points made against you? Assuming you're town, how can an attack against you be anything but either scumdriven or misguided? I have a hard time believing you're always so soft on people attacking you.
In response to your first question, it depends. There have been certain examples from previous games where I could totally see where the person attacking me was coming from, I would realize they were just misguided, and I would do my best to try to dispel their doubts about my alignment. If you'd like specific examples, I could try and provide them. There have been other instances, like the Sarcastro example, where the attack felt scum-driven. At first, I thought springlullaby's attack against me may have been misguided but when she continued on and kept pushing more and more weak points, I began to see her attack as possibly scum-driven.

Not being full of myself here, but it's not very often that I'm full-fledged attacked by
anyone
when I'm town so when it does happen, it takes me awhile to determine the person's true motivations whether it be misguided or a scum-driven attack. People will sometimes question some of my actions when I'm town but usually not go all out the way springlullaby has. eldarad's attack against me from Mini 594 is another example. He attacked me during Day 3, I believe, and I felt like his attack was misguided, and I said as much within that game, and he eventually backed off. But yeah, I could probably count the number of times I've been full-fledged attacked by anyone as town on both of my hands; it's just a rarity.
Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1356743#1356743]in 333[/url], wrote:Didn't you see these points before? Could you give some examples of games where you found points raised against you "correct" and continually considered attacking you a towntell?
I did see those points but after I responded to them, I thought I might have dispelled her doubts, and that she would have dropped the issue. That didn't happen though, and she continued pushing the same weak points over and over again.

Yes, I can give an example of a game where I found the points raised against me as correct. Here's a post that I made in that PYP3 game where I specifically mentioned that Ether's and Gorrad's attacks against me gave me a town vibe mainly because my play in that game was very atypical from my regular town play and them catching onto that made me think they were town. They continued their attacks against me, and I still thought they were town because of it.

I'm trying to think of others but none are coming to mind at the moment. If I do think of others, I'll try and link them.
Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1356743#1356743]in 333[/url], wrote:In fact I haven't seen Incog do much scumhunting except for above trail on SL and making a case on iLord after I asked him to name a second subject. For the "most active player in the game", I don't think of that as much.
This isn't true. I feel like I most certainly have been scum-hunting in between defending myself from springlullaby and bringing up points against/questioning iLord. Those aren't the only two people I've been focusing on. Plus, keep in mind that at least three players have been MIA for quite some time now, and the only other person who's been at about the same activity level as me has been iLord. When others post, I have been giving them my attention as well.
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Post by Incognito »

Also an addendum since I knew your facts were off, and I just went back and checked them: You make it seem like I began pursuing iLord only
after
you asked me to name a second suspect. I had begun pursuing iLord well before you asked me that and well before you and him entered your back and forths.
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Post by Jahudo »

Guardian wrote:Jahudo -- why uboost me and not boost someone else? No one you find likely to be town?
The boost started out as random and although I began to think SL was town, I’d been growing more confused with her reactions and I’m still catching up with your recent posts although I will say that I disagree with the argument that you are suspecting Incog in the same manner as SL did or that it is scummy to pick up where SL left off. The suspicions brought up between SL and Incog should be answered and not dropped just because SL is gone.

And I’ll probably make a second boost after I do a finish a re-read of the last few pages.
* Incognito's dismissive-ness of arguments against him in general
* My recent points against Incognito
* Incognito in general
1. When SL first called Incog passive I read his reaction as townish and didn’t see how his posts could be called passive since then. I also think she called him out for it so early in the game that there were other reserved and cautious, or simply inactive, players that you could also prod into getting a better read. I also didn’t agree with her read on him as it progressed.
2. I don’t think that he’s entirely dismissive of arguments against him but his personality may account for how he was insulting to SL. Maybe I could find a little bit of ad-hom but I don’t see it as excessive. What examples do you have because I might be missing something. I also like RR’s summary in post 333 where he looks at Incog’s change in attitude towards SL and also the talk about Incog agreeing with points brought himself.
3. Unless I see a strong case on the ad-hom, I don’t see how the rest of Incog makes him scummy.
iLord wrote: But you said that I was drawing poor conclusions.
I felt they were conclusions that are inaccurate or misguided based on the information available in the case of saying that RR had stated his wrongness and is something more to bring against him, when I don’t see that it is. As a whole I have to confess that I think you are reading the game fairly well and keeping active, and this is only one example of how I read your words as misguided.
sthar8 wrote:The jury is still out on Incog. Overall, his posts seem like they are looking for the kind of information I want as town, but I've seen a few examples of fallacy or emotional and strategic manipulation that make good sense for scum.
I’m not sure I know which posts you are referring to with the “fallacy or emotional and strategic manipulation”? How does it look in context?
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 am

Post by iLord »

I need to reread the big Guardian/Rest of the Active Players posts.
RR wrote:How exactly have I done that?
I'm not quite sure - If I did, then we wouldn't be as distracted.
RR wrote:Well, I certainly don't usually take the time to look at things before they're responded to and make a list of how I would take each respone. The number of possible responses in a given scenario is usually huge, and such a tactic therefore becomes futile. I mostly scumhunt by looking back at things already said rather than specualting on what's gonna be.

Also, I already gave you some far fetched examples of stuff I would find scummy in such a situation. Interpertaion of other more common actions demends specific circumstance.
Persistent, aren't you?

How do you tell if something was scummy?
RR wrote:Someone said something about sthar's massclaim speculation, I don't quite recall the exact post but I thought I'd do a recap on it and see if I'm missing something.

Do you think I went back looking for reasons to unvote him because I was scared by your attack of me?
That's what I was trying to figure out.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:02 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Incogito wrote:Not being full of myself here, but it's not very often that I'm full-fledged attacked by anyone when I'm town so when it does happen, it takes me awhile to determine the person's true motivations whether it be misguided or a scum-driven attack.
So you see attacks against you in a pro town light, but full fledged ones are a scumtell?
What gets me here is how you claimed to consider her attack a towntell, but after she didn't have the grace to accept your explanation and drop it you basically started a gradual (I'd say it looks too gradual) process of slowly pushing her back more and more. It just seems like you were trying to downplay her case and after that the OMGUSy-ness of your attack as much as possible, and tried way harder than I would think necassary to establish your vote as reasonable and called for.

Incog wrote:Yes, I can give an example of a game where I found the points raised against me as correct. Here's a post that I made in that PYP3 game where I specifically mentioned that Ether's and Gorrad's attacks against me gave me a town vibe mainly because my play in that game was very atypical from my regular town play and them catching onto that made me think they were town. They continued their attacks against me, and I still thought they were town because of it.
But you yourself admit your play there was atypical, and therefore your read of the attack was atypical well. Aren't you playing regularly here? If you are, could you give another more typical example of you treating attacks as towntell, preferably one where you end up changing your mind when the case isn't dropped, like you did here?
Incog wrote:Also an addendum since I knew your facts were off, and I just went back and checked them: You make it seem like I began pursuing iLord only after you asked me to name a second suspect. I had begun pursuing iLord well before you asked me that and well before you and him entered your back and forths.
True, but you mostly just question his reads on you and never mention finding him scummy.

iLord wrote:I'm not quite sure - If I did, then we wouldn't be as distracted.
So again, attacking me for intentionally distracting from it when you don't actively do much to push it back and can't tell exactly what I did to distract seems very unconvincing and not particularly honest.
iLord wrote:How do you tell if something was scummy?
Basically, I look back on it under all known circusmstaces and try to figure out how likely it is to come from town and if scum have any motive to say it. If it isn't and they do, it's scummy.
iLord wrote:That's what I was trying to figure out.
Well, what's your conclusion?
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:09 am

Post by iLord »

adsfasdf
RR wrote:So again, attacking me for intentionally distracting from it when you don't actively do much to push it back and can't tell exactly what I did to distract seems very unconvincing and not particularly honest.
I'll admit it doesn't seem that convincing, but I've pushed it back, and the people in the town that answered have said that it is a null tell. Could you explain why their reasoning is incorrect?
RR wrote:Basically, I look back on it under all known circusmstaces and try to figure out how likely it is to come from town and if scum have any motive to say it. If it isn't and they do, it's scummy.
How do you figure out the difference between "how likely it is to come from town" and "if scum have any motive" since all scum have the motive to look town?
RR wrote:Well, what's your conclusion?
I'm going to go look back to see if someone did mention mass claim speculation, and if someone did, then I cannot draw the conclusion that you just made it up.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:32 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

iLord wrote:I'll admit it doesn't seem that convincing, but I've pushed it back, and the people in the town that answered have said that it is a null tell. Could you explain why their reasoning is incorrect?
Don't like the appeal to majority here. Also, I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by "it"? I would assume the "distracting" issue, but who said it was a null tell and where?[/quote]
iLord wrote:How do you figure out the difference between "how likely it is to come from town" and "if scum have any motive" since all scum have the motive to look town?
This is where the difference between anti town and scummy comes in to play, some bad townie actions make no sense from a scum point of view as well and therefore are not a scumtell.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:45 am

Post by iLord »

RR wrote:Don't like the appeal to majority here. Also, I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by "it"? I would assume the "distracting" issue, but who said it was a null tell and where?
[/quote]

No, I mean the issue of whether or not guilt was a scumtell, which was my original point that I claimed you distracted from.

I've stated my reasoning for why it's not a scumtell. You've stated yours. Some of the town that answered my query has stated its. It's not just appeal to majority - if you feel that their reasoning is incorrect, you must state why.
RR wrote:This is where the difference between anti town and scummy comes in to play, some bad townie actions make no sense from a scum point of view as well and therefore are not a scumtell.
What does this have to do with how you tell if a situation is coming from a town or a scum that's trying to look as town?
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 am

Post by Incognito »

Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1357829#1357829]in 339[/url], wrote:So you see attacks against you in a pro town light, but full fledged ones are a scumtell?
...that's not what I said at all. I said the fact that she continued pushing
weak points
against me was a scum-tell. Would you like to revisit what it was in particular I was being attacked for?

1)
First, I was attacked by her for asking 'soft' questions. After I explained to her the significance of those questions that I was asking thereby disproving that they weren't soft at all, she
still
attacked me for asking questions to people I thought were scum, period, saying that I shouldn't ask people who I thought could be scum questions because I should expect scum to lie to me. Do you seriously not see a problem with this argument? She basically pigeon-holed me into a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation
and
contradicted herself as she continued to ask
me
(a person she thought was scum) questions. I don't think that's very pro-town. She's not a new player to Mafiascum, and she actually seemed like a pretty decent player in some of her town games that I looked into. I really don't think she truly believed in what she was attacking me for.

2)
She attacked me for not taking an immediate stance on Electra's page 1 claim. I explained that I didn't want to take an immediate stance as I preferred to look at her claim as a null-tell and chose to wait for Electra to get more involved in the game to
then
decide what to think about her claim and whether I thought she was town or not. There's nothing wrong with reserving opinions about someone until more information is obtained. Good town play allows for withholding information all the time.

3)
A big portion of her attack was based on a logical fallacy. Basically a "too townie" argument. Do you really think it's pro-town to attack someone based on something that's known to be a logical fallacy?

4)
She attacked me for voting sthar8 saying that it seemed more like an annoyance vote more than anything else. I voted for sthar8 because I do think that answering questions for other people can be a scum-tell as it makes it look like the person who's doing the answering is actually participating when in fact he or she is not. Also, I wanted to nip that kind of stuff in the bud early on since I think that when people answer questions or respond to things directed at others, their response basically nullifies any kind of information that could have been received from the response of the person who the question was directed to. Again, I felt like I backed up my vote well, explained my intention well, and she still decided to attack me for it even after my response.

5)
I was attacked for asking for an early prod. Last time I checked, there's nothing wrong with encouraging activity from others.

I thought that all of my responses to her attacks explained my intentions well and should have been enough to show why there was nothing wrong with my actions, but she still continued to tunnel on me using weak points thereby completely shutting herself out of everything and everyone else in the game. If you think
I've
been guilty of not scum-hunting outside of iLord and springlullaby, I'm curious to learn what you think about springlullaby's singular, tunnel-visioned attack on me. Do you think that's pro-town?
Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1357829#1357829]in 339[/url], wrote:But you yourself admit your play there was atypical, and therefore your read of the attack was atypical well. Aren't you playing regularly here? If you are, could you give another more typical example of you treating attacks as towntell, preferably one where you end up changing your mind when the case isn't dropped, like you did here?
Yes, I feel like my play here is more regular. And no, I don't have an example like the one you're looking for. Like I said, it's not very often that I find myself being attacked when I'm town.
Raging Rabbit, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=1357829#1357829]in 339[/url], wrote:True, but you mostly just question his reads on you and never mention finding him scummy.
I didn't just ask about his reads on me; I remember saying that most of his reads look contrived, and I think you even agreed with me at one point. I consider contrived looking reads to be a scum-tell.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 am

Post by iLord »

Incognito, I can't really say anything, as you've probably had more success scumhunting then me, but I think you're scumhunting mindset is flawed.

You can't assume those that act irrationally anitown are scum.

Nor can you assume that all situations are the same for each person - just because something is an accepted "scumtell" does not mean that it is indicative of scum for specific players.

Yes, SL pushed a lot of weak points on you. But you have to look back and see if she would actually do so as scum.

BTW, in the links you listed, did SL actually fake anger? I don't really have time to read over the game right now.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 am

Post by Incognito »

I realize that, but I think she would push weak points against a person as scum. She pushed very weak points against Battle Mage in that R-1000 game that I linked to.

As for faking anger, I never saw her explode to the degree that she did here in this game. She was very, very, very aggressive as scum like she was here though. I think she was more rational as town according to the games I looked into.
iLord
iLord
Mafia Scum
iLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 am

Post by iLord »

Incognito wrote:I realize that, but I think she would push weak points against a person as scum. She pushed very weak points against Battle Mage in that R-1000 game that I linked to.

As for faking anger, I never saw her explode to the degree that she did here in this game. She was very, very, very aggressive as scum like she was here though. I think she was more rational as town according to the games I looked into.

Ah, okay. Did she acknowledge her points as weak in that R-1000 game after the game was over?

The degree to which she exploded only strengthens my belief. It's not something she usually does, and it's very townie.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:55 am

Post by Incognito »

iLord wrote:Ah, okay. Did she acknowledge her points as weak in that R-1000 game after the game was over?
Ummm, I haven't checked but why would that matter? I would think the Gold Standard to compare to here would be to look at her town play and determine if she's a capable player under that alignment who knows the difference between strong points and those not as strong, which I think she does.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Post by Elmo »

Today is a truly joyous occasion: RandomGem replaces fuzzylightning!
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Post by RandomGem »

Elmo wrote:Today is a truly joyous occasion: RandomGem replaces fuzzylightning!
Not too joyous since I'm not the greatest player, but I'm sure I'm better than nothing! :)
Okay, time to read... I promise to do this soon, but not today soon. :/
This is a sig. It has nothing funny or witty in it.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”