SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Post by SpyreX »

1) Have you read any of my scum games?
No, I have not. Nor do I plan on it. Some meta will seep in from playing with players but I definitely do not put much weight on it at all. Ever. Good players will be able to manipulate or hide meta and poor players will play poorly regardless and be caught for it. So, nope.
2) What in my play seems protown to you? (I should declare here that I am asking this partly for in-game reasons - and partly for meta research purposes)
The self vote itself is null. However, the method of your discussion I find to be very pro-town - it obviously wasn't a "gotcha" and was designed to give reads on how players responded to it in such a way that one would find scummy patterns AND town patterns. Looking for both, and keeping the discussion fairly neutral from your ends in regards to tone, strikes me as very pro-town play and solid day one play (as a way to start forming patterns versus looking for existing ones).

Also, you haven't just sat and let others "fight". You have made your opinions known and there has been logic behind them. Like I said, I see the methods in your madness and thats why,
at this point
, I find your play to be pro-town.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Post by mykonian »

Vollkan, ever lynched someone meta based day 1? But I have to say, on this moment, you could either be town, or scum hiding behind nice words and pretty logic. A logic player is very hard to catch, as you can vote for a towny based on logic pretty easily. Expect my vote on you, when your logic is wrong :)
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Post by vollkan »

First off, just a clarification to my last post, where I realise I didn't explain the continuance of my vote (which wasn't what you explicitly asked, but I figure it probably was implied). Basically, I have an objection to "insinuation claiming". OP's "I know for a fact that ortolan's wagon is wrong, which I am not going to elaborate on at this point" is a vague assertion. It could mean "I am mason", it could mean "I am a cop with an innocent", or it could just mean "I have a really strong opinion". Same goes for the other posts. They suggested the possibility to me, but I wasn't going to drop off just because of something so vague (unlike the explicit claim which prompted my unvote)
Mykonian wrote: Vollkan, ever lynched someone meta based day 1? But I have to say, on this moment, you could either be town, or scum hiding behind nice words and pretty logic. A logic player is very hard to catch, as you can vote for a towny based on logic pretty easily. Expect my vote on you, when your logic is wrong
You've hit at the reason why I questioned Spyrex about my meta. Basically, I do my best to keep a calm, neutral, and logical style of play as scum. I don't always succeed, but my meta for it is known by most people who I've played with a lot, so I am somewhat obliged to mention this fact.
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 am

Post by TDC »

vollkan wrote:First off, just a clarification to my last post, where I realise I didn't explain the continuance of my vote (which wasn't what you explicitly asked, but I figure it probably was implied). Basically, I have an objection to "insinuation claiming". OP's "I know for a fact that ortolan's wagon is wrong, which I am not going to elaborate on at this point" is a vague assertion. It could mean "I am mason", it could mean "I am a cop with an innocent", or it could just mean "I have a really strong opinion". Same goes for the other posts. They suggested the possibility to me, but I wasn't going to drop off just because of something so vague (unlike the explicit claim which prompted my unvote)
Yeah, when I wrote "dropped like a hot potato" I meant your unvote. (Which, as you'll admit changes the tone of your questioning of him a lot).

If you don't like implicit claims, why did you not just ask them about it, but instead pretended nothing happened? Policy?

As for it possibly being something other than a mason claim - They both claimed to be 100% sure. Unless you consider two cops investigating each other a viable possibility.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:42 am

Post by vollkan »

TDC wrote:
vollkan wrote:First off, just a clarification to my last post, where I realise I didn't explain the continuance of my vote (which wasn't what you explicitly asked, but I figure it probably was implied). Basically, I have an objection to "insinuation claiming". OP's "I know for a fact that ortolan's wagon is wrong, which I am not going to elaborate on at this point" is a vague assertion. It could mean "I am mason", it could mean "I am a cop with an innocent", or it could just mean "I have a really strong opinion". Same goes for the other posts. They suggested the possibility to me, but I wasn't going to drop off just because of something so vague (unlike the explicit claim which prompted my unvote)
Yeah, when I wrote "dropped like a hot potato" I meant your unvote. (Which, as you'll admit changes the tone of your questioning of him a lot).
Yeah. I acknowledge that I have a tendency to go "Interrogator"-ish when I think I am on to scum. An explicit claim firms up a person is probably town, so there is less warrant for that sort of attitude - they probably
aren't
hiding anything.
TDC wrote: If you don't like implicit claims, why did you not just ask them about it, but instead pretended nothing happened? Policy?
Yeah. I think claims are really very anti-town and should usually only be a kind of "You're now at L-1 and nothing you have said has dissuaded us. Have you got any last words" thing. I really don't want to trigger an explicit claim outside those or similar circumstances.
TDC wrote: As for it possibly being something other than a mason claim - They both claimed to be 100% sure. Unless you consider two cops investigating each other a viable possibility.
I didn't think they were cops, but I did think it was possibly just obscene hyperbole.
Rage
Rage
Goon
Rage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:44 am

Post by Rage »

Spolium replaces Mana_Ku, effective immediately.
I'm a rageaholic! I just can't live without rageahol!
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:28 am

Post by Spolium »

/confirm

As the end of my shift is rapidly approaching I won't have a chance to fully digest the thread until later this evening, but a quick skim through suggests an interesting game!
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:11 am

Post by mrfixij »

mykonian wrote:
mrfixij wrote: @ Mykonian: Your last paragraph is also confusing, I can't help but feel that you made a typo there and skewed what you meant to say, because I don't get it.
Could be. I'm not very good on English, so maybe I stated it a bit weird. Could you quote the part you don't understand, then I can try say it in different words.
But after this happened, like Ecto said, we should look at what happened around it, and just blindly go back to the big players, the people that actually made this game the first pages. It is too easy, and has little basis. I know it isn't always right, maybe even wrong, but I like active players better then lurkers.
I think I get what you're trying to say, but I'd rather you restate it to avoid any confusion. Basically you're saying that our lurkers are just as big of a threat if not moreso than our active players.

Also, @ posts 250 and 251, I don't want to discuss an ongoing game, but I just saw town hit a scumlynch D1 based on meta. It's a valid tool in the town and mafia arsenal and shouldn't be discounted. It just so happens that it's easy to manipulate by a perceptive player, which vollkan definitely is. The case still remains that it can't hurt to check vollkan's scum games if you wanted to declare him pro-town.

If you don't like implicit claims, why did you not just ask them about it, but instead pretended nothing happened? Policy?

As for it possibly being something other than a mason claim - They both claimed to be 100% sure. Unless you consider two cops investigating each other a viable possibility.
That's post-hoc logic. Scum doesn't know power roles. Town doesn't know scum. It's to town's advantage to avoid drawing out or claiming power roles whilst lynching scum, but even moreso to avoid lynching power roles. We cannot assume that vollkan's line of question was to draw out the mason claim, as we do not know if vollkan believed ort to be scum or KNEW him to be town. It's truly a null-tell in the rapidity of which he pulled his vote. Would you rather he typed a multi-paragraph response and took his time unvoting while a scum or foolish town player said "Nope, don't buy the claim" and lynched ort? I think that a hasty unvote was a towny move. Whether or not it fits Voll's meta is another story.

@spyre: Please explain to me how vollkan's activity is explicitly pro-town. If you refuse to acknowledge his meta, how do you know that this is not EXACTLY how vollkan acts as scum?

Rewritten for easier viewing with permission from mrfixij - Rage
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 am

Post by TDC »

mrfixij wrote:Would you rather he typed a multi-paragraph response and took his time unvoting while a scum or foolish town player said "Nope, don't buy the claim" and lynched ort? I think that a hasty unvote was a towny move.
You are misunderstanding me. I had asked vollkan why he didn't unvote when I unvoted (a page or so earlier than when he actually did).
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 am

Post by mrfixij »

TDC wrote:
mrfixij wrote:Would you rather he typed a multi-paragraph response and took his time unvoting while a scum or foolish town player said "Nope, don't buy the claim" and lynched ort? I think that a hasty unvote was a towny move.
You are misunderstanding me. I had asked vollkan why he didn't unvote when I unvoted (a page or so earlier than when he actually did).
Yes indeed, I am misunderstanding you. Requesting the jury to ignore said statement.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 am

Post by SpyreX »

@spyre: Please explain to me how vollkan's activity is explicitly pro-town. If you refuse to acknowledge his meta, how do you know that this is not EXACTLY how vollkan acts as scum?
Good gravy. It of course isn't explicit. I
find
it to be pro-town. I explained why I found it such. Could I be wrong? Of course.

If that is EXACTLY how he plays as scum, then you can go ahead and lay out the case and if he gets lynched for it and comes up scum the egg is on my face. Of course, even without reading, I'm going to go ahead and say if it is how he plays as scum... its also how he plays as town.

The play so far is pro-town to me. If it changes, will I rescind my opinion that
this play
is pro town? No. Will I then press a case? Yes.

I'm not sure what you're going for here.
Show

Proud member of BaM
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:36 am

Post by mykonian »

To react on mrfixij, I put my views on mafia:

1. Lurkers are more dangerous then active players, because you can't get a good read at lurkers. Active players, however good they are, can always be more or less protown.

2. active players are looked at more. By posting more, you can find more small "tells", assuming you can find a tell in everything. Attacking an active player for a lot of very small reasons, is just as usefull as attacking a lurker for a little amount of very small reasons. You shouldn't do the last, you shouldn't do the first. Ecto's and Vollkans posts are looked over closely by everyone, and of course you find things against them. That doesn't mean it is reasonable to vote them for that. I think the cases are weak. No wonder Orto couldn't find any better, because there is no good case on the moment. Don't pretend there is one.

3. logic in this game is always based on assumptions. You can choose them right, you can choose them wrong. There will be many reasonable assumptions. The logic that follows can be right, and nobody will find something there. A logic scum player can post his wrong assumption so that everyone will think it natural. That's why a player who's play is mainly based on logic close to unreadable.

I think I have read two games of vollkan. In both he was town, but if he plays just like that as scum, he can be antitown without us noticing it.
I have also read two games of Ecto, in both he was scum. If he plays always like that we will catch him soon enough. In both he hammered a uncounterclaimed powerrole... But more dangerous, in both he got away with it.

In both cases, I think meta won't help me.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by ortolan »

Ok, it looks like I need to post something. I was a bit reluctant to contribute for two reasons: firstly my previous attempt to contribute, by voting Ecto, attracted attention for all the wrong reasons. Secondly now that the town "knows" that I am a mason, I am more wary about whom I place suspicion on because you "know" my comments are not scum-motivated.

I actually think vollkan would be a good lynch target. As has already been pointed by others and himself; it is very difficult to determine his alignment using meta and/or analysis of his posts in and of themselves. And as he himself has just said that even as scum he will maintain a logical demeanour. That and I do think the discussion stemming from his self-vote (which he strongly contributed to perpetuating) has effectively "muddied the waters" for the town, and accomplished little. Had I not been a mason, it probably would have led to me being lynched. Obviously I am partly to blame for this, but I don't think wholly. He suggested (as did others) that I was scummy for deferring my reasoning to others. I think an equally valid hypothesis is that such extensive and unreadable discussion will lead to someone tiring of the dead-end stalemate, and seeking a lynch to break it. After all, all it achieved up to that point was votes for vollkan and Ecto, and then votes for SpyreX for "buddying up". I find it hard to believe that such an intelligent player as vollkan wouldn't recognise that a discussion like that, verbose as it was, was ultimately leading nowhere.
And I thought Ecto suggesting that my questioning myself justified his questioning was bad! Now you are blaming my gambit for your absurdly vague play.

And I don't care that you unvoted - justify your initial vote.

WHY DID YOU VOTE ECTO?

This just looks like "I voted but have been called out and cannot justify myself so I will slink away and hope nobody notices"

Until you give an explanation (or somebody else really screws up),
Unvote, Vote: ortolan
By saying you would keep your vote on me "until somebody else really screws up" you were trying to hedge your argument in exactly the same way you criticised me for doing. You were implying you were only voting for me "because I had screwed up the most", rather than that I was actually scum. Also, assuming we are telling the truth about our mason claim, you were, in fact, asking for an explanation where one in the form you wanted didn't exist. I didn't have a good enough argument for voting Ectomancer, according to you, so this request was impossible to satisfy. This doesn't, however, entail that I am scum. There are many other possible explanations e.g. that a townie felt your convoluted discussion was not helping in the lynching of scum and decided to take a different approach to break the stalemate.

Vote: vollkan

Sorry if I sound like I am reiterating a lot of what mykonian has said, I independently considered a case against vollkan before his most recent posts, but was reluctant to state it due to the circumstances.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Post by vollkan »

Mykonian wrote: 3. logic in this game is always based on assumptions. You can choose them right, you can choose them wrong. There will be many reasonable assumptions. The logic that follows can be right, and nobody will find something there. A logic scum player can post his wrong assumption so that everyone will think it natural. That's why a player who's play is mainly based on logic close to unreadable.

I think I have read two games of vollkan. In both he was town, but if he plays just like that as scum, he can be antitown without us noticing it.
I have also read two games of Ecto, in both he was scum. If he plays always like that we will catch him soon enough. In both he hammered a uncounterclaimed powerrole... But more dangerous, in both he got away with it.
That's pretty much correct. What I would add, and I know that my saying this is loaded with WIFOM, is that I think the Achille's heel of logic-scum is in the assumptions as to reasonableness. As you say, all logic in this game depends on assumptions (see the last point I make to Orto below as a great example - my assumptions as to what is reasonable to expect are completely at odds with his). I guess this is the reason in part why I insist so much on reasons for suspicion - because I know firsthand that reducing things to the base assumption of "What makes the most reasonable hypothesis that this is a scummy action?" is probably a good way of breaking skilled scum. (Another reason I detest gut play - because it shirks explaining the basis for the assumptions)

But, see, what flows from this is that calm, logical posting is by no means a towntell at all - it's simply a particular sort of playstyle.
Orto wrote: As has already been pointed by others and himself; it is very difficult to determine his alignment using meta and/or analysis of his posts in and of themselves. And as he himself has just said that even as scum he will maintain a logical demeanour.
Unless you are trying to set a precedent for auto-lynches of me, there needs to be more than just this to justify any lynch of me.
Orto wrote: That and I do think the discussion stemming from his self-vote (which he strongly contributed to perpetuating) has effectively "muddied the waters" for the town, and accomplished little. Had I not been a mason, it probably would have led to me being lynched. Obviously I am partly to blame for this, but I don't think wholly. He suggested (as did others) that I was scummy for deferring my reasoning to others. I think an equally valid hypothesis is that such extensive and unreadable discussion will lead to someone tiring of the dead-end stalemate, and seeking a lynch to break it. After all, all it achieved up to that point was votes for vollkan and Ecto, and then votes for SpyreX for "buddying up". I find it hard to believe that such an intelligent player as vollkan wouldn't recognise that a discussion like that, verbose as it was, was ultimately leading nowhere.
You miss the point completely.

Deferring of reasons is scummy - and I don't see how you can conflate that with an attack on me. You might disagree, but I don't see what the relevance of this is outside of an OMGUS.

I really hate it when people say that a particular discussion didn't "lead" anywhere. Most things in this game won't result in any specific outcome. What my self-vote did was set in train a discussion which has really laid the groundwork for what we have now. I didn't expect it to lead to a lynch or anything of the sort. Discussion is an end in itself, and that's what I achieved.
Orto wrote: By saying you would keep your vote on me "until somebody else really screws up" you were trying to hedge your argument in exactly the same way you criticised me for doing. You were implying you were only voting for me "because I had screwed up the most", rather than that I was actually scum.
Uh, no. I voted you because you refused to justify yourself. That's scummy. You are cherry-picking the choice of the word "screws up". It's clear from my posts that I thought your actions were scummy and, in that context, "screws up" can only reasonably take the meaning of "does something really scummy"
Orto wrote: Also, assuming we are telling the truth about our mason claim, you were, in fact, asking for an explanation where one in the form you wanted didn't exist. I didn't have a good enough argument for voting Ectomancer, according to you, so this request was impossible to satisfy.
Yes. You were scummy if you didn't provide a reason, and you were scummy if you didn't have a good one. That's not a Catch-22 or anything. It's common sense. If your vote was for no reason - then it's scummy inherently. The request is only "impossible to satisfy" if you had no reasons, which is precisely what I was trying to determine.
Orto wrote: This doesn't, however, entail that I am scum. There are many other possible explanations e.g. that a townie felt your convoluted discussion was not helping in the lynching of scum and decided to take a different approach to break the stalemate.
There are
always
possible explanations for things. ANYTHING can be justified on the basis of "town acting oddly". A scumtell is an action where the most reasonable explanation is one of scumminess. Without taking a post hoc analysis, at the time I saw a vote which had no apparent justification. The most reasonable conclusion is not "Ortolan is town who has come to a (wrong) decision about my self-vote and has decided to stir the pot". The most reasnoable conclusion is that "Orto is scum who got caught out". Now, the varying probabilities mean that it isn't lynchworthy in and of itself, but it is still a scumtell.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by ortolan »

But, see, what flows from this is that calm, logical posting is by no means a towntell at all - it's simply a particular sort of playstyle.
Then I simply have a different playstyle to you- one which may rely more on gut. Why did this ever merit a vote then? Furthermore, there's a problem with this. It may be that in fact your playstyle is more effective at catching scum. However, on average you're only town about 75% of the time. The rest you're scum. If you use a playstyle which is "better at catching scum" when you are scum it's not going to work out well for you. So what I can only assume you do in this case is find some way of subverting your playstyle so that it still appears to be pro-town and "logical" while trying to throw suspicion onto townies. I think this is the case this game, and will show why your apparently "logical" play has in fact been inconsistent.
vollk wrote:
Orto wrote: As has already been pointed by others and himself; it is very difficult to determine his alignment using meta and/or analysis of his posts in and of themselves. And as he himself has just said that even as scum he will maintain a logical demeanour.
Unless you are trying to set a precedent for auto-lynches of me, there needs to be more than just this to justify any lynch of me.
There was more. This was an introduction to the case that I then launched against you. Did you just single out a statement to avoid relating it to it's context? I think we've "seen that before" this game...
vollk wrote:Springlullaby wrote:

Are you deliberately isolating my statement from the rest of my post here? Here your quoting makes it appear as if I have voted you without reason, but the rest of that post you quoted states clearly why I think your votes sucked.

I didn't pick up on this. Good find.
Another example of your double standards:
As I have said repeatedly now, I don't take opposition to self-voting as a scumtell (that would be absurd). Ecto challenging my self-vote was not scummy in and of itself. What followed, and the reason I challenged his question requiring an explanation, was to see why he thought that self-voting needed justification. As I have said, it became apparent that his attack was all bark and no bite.
So here you say you don't take opposition to people opposing self-voting, but if they ask for *justification* for the act of self-voting, you do. You also repeatedly stress that you require people to give reasons for their opinions and votes. Thus, if someone did oppose self-voting, presumably you would require them to give reasons for this stance. If they gave these reasons, presumably they would be along the lines of mrfixij's response, that from a certain perspective self-voting can never help town as votes are intended to be used for pressure purposes and self-voting inherently voids this purpose. This amounts to "asking for justification for the act of self-voting", thus you'd now deem them scummy.

You essentially have three principles

1)If someone criticises self-voting this is not scummy
2)If someone asks for justification for not voting this is scummy (I find it ridiculous that you even try to draw some substantial distinction between these two positions in the first place)
3)Someone must give reasons for their argument

However if someone acts in accordance with principles 1 and 3 this implies 2, and thus it is impossible to both comply with rule 3 and criticise self-voting without appearing scummy.

Thus I feel your "principles of play", set up with much pomp are in reality a mere device- impossible to comply with, they allow you to springboard suspicions safe in the inherently-biased "groundwork" you have "laid out".

On that note, I would like you to define "scummy" in the sense you used it in your last post. It has multiple possible interpretations, including: being anti-town, acting in a way which benefits scum, acting in a way which implies you are scum. I would like you to clarify which meaning you're using it with exactly- are you still suggesting I am mafia this game despite being a claimed mason?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Post by vollkan »

Ortolan wrote:
Vollkan wrote: But, see, what flows from this is that calm, logical posting is by no means a towntell at all - it's simply a particular sort of playstyle.
Then I simply have a different playstyle to you- one which may rely more on gut. Why did this ever merit a vote then? Furthermore, there's a problem with this. It may be that in fact your playstyle is more effective at catching scum. However, on average you're only town about 75% of the time. The rest you're scum. If you use a playstyle which is "better at catching scum" when you are scum it's not going to work out well for you. So what I can only assume you do in this case is find some way of subverting your playstyle so that it still appears to be pro-town and "logical" while trying to throw suspicion onto townies. I think this is the case this game, and will show why your apparently "logical" play has in fact been inconsistent.
You've (again) cherry-picked one bit of my post out of context to attack me. Nothing I said at all addressed whether or not gut is scummy. I was specifically addressing whether or not logical posting is a town-tell. That's a completely different matter.

Secondly, it is not about logic being "better" at catching scum. It is that requiring players to explain what the hell they are on about tends to favour town more than allowing a free-for-all with people's (declared) feelings serving as justification.
Ortoloan wrote: However, on average you're only town about 75% of the time. The rest you're scum. If you use a playstyle which is "better at catching scum" when you are scum it's not going to work out well for you. So what I can only assume you do in this case is find some way of subverting your playstyle so that it still appears to be pro-town and "logical" while trying to throw suspicion onto townies. I think this is the case this game, and will show why your apparently "logical" play has in fact been inconsistent.
*headdesk*

This is precisely what I HAVE BEEN SAYING. Logical play is not a town-tell. I don't know why the hell you are acting like you've stumbled upon some fantastic revelation - I said as much myself that logical play can come from town and scum.

Now, how about explaining to me why you "think" I have been exploiting my playstyle in this game? Because thus far, you've provided nothing but innuendo.
Ortoloan wrote: There was more. This was an introduction to the case that I then launched against you. Did you just single out a statement to avoid relating it to it's context? I think we've "seen that before" this game...
*double headdesk*
Yes, that was the introduction. But if you bothered paying ANY attention to my post you would see that I addressed each part of your argument.

Here is where I attack your intro:
Vollkan wrote:
Unless you are trying to set a precedent for auto-lynches of me, there needs to be more than just this to justify any lynch of me. [/quotee]

Here is where I attack the second point you make:
Vollkan wrote:
Orto wrote: That and I do think the discussion stemming from his self-vote (which he strongly contributed to perpetuating) has effectively "muddied the waters" for the town, and accomplished little. Had I not been a mason, it probably would have led to me being lynched. Obviously I am partly to blame for this, but I don't think wholly. He suggested (as did others) that I was scummy for deferring my reasoning to others. I think an equally valid hypothesis is that such extensive and unreadable discussion will lead to someone tiring of the dead-end stalemate, and seeking a lynch to break it. After all, all it achieved up to that point was votes for vollkan and Ecto, and then votes for SpyreX for "buddying up". I find it hard to believe that such an intelligent player as vollkan wouldn't recognise that a discussion like that, verbose as it was, was ultimately leading nowhere.
You miss the point completely.

Deferring of reasons is scummy - and I don't see how you can conflate that with an attack on me. You might disagree, but I don't see what the relevance of this is outside of an OMGUS.

I really hate it when people say that a particular discussion didn't "lead" anywhere. Most things in this game won't result in any specific outcome. What my self-vote did was set in train a discussion which has really laid the groundwork for what we have now. I didn't expect it to lead to a lynch or anything of the sort. Discussion is an end in itself, and that's what I achieved.
Third part:
Vollkan wrote:
Orto wrote: By saying you would keep your vote on me "until somebody else really screws up" you were trying to hedge your argument in exactly the same way you criticised me for doing. You were implying you were only voting for me "because I had screwed up the most", rather than that I was actually scum.
Uh, no. I voted you because you refused to justify yourself. That's scummy. You are cherry-picking the choice of the word "screws up". It's clear from my posts that I thought your actions were scummy and, in that context, "screws up" can only reasonably take the meaning of "does something really scummy"
Fourth part:
vollkan wrote:
Orto wrote: Also, assuming we are telling the truth about our mason claim, you were, in fact, asking for an explanation where one in the form you wanted didn't exist. I didn't have a good enough argument for voting Ectomancer, according to you, so this request was impossible to satisfy.
[/quote[

Yes. You were scummy if you didn't provide a reason, and you were scummy if you didn't have a good one. That's not a Catch-22 or anything. It's common sense. If your vote was for no reason - then it's scummy inherently. The request is only "impossible to satisfy" if you had no reasons, which is precisely what I was trying to determine.
And fifth part:
Vollkan wrote:
Orto wrote: This doesn't, however, entail that I am scum. There are many other possible explanations e.g. that a townie felt your convoluted discussion was not helping in the lynching of scum and decided to take a different approach to break the stalemate.
There are always possible explanations for things. ANYTHING can be justified on the basis of "town acting oddly". A scumtell is an action where the most reasonable explanation is one of scumminess. Without taking a post hoc analysis, at the time I saw a vote which had no apparent justification. The most reasonable conclusion is not "Ortolan is town who has come to a (wrong) decision about my self-vote and has decided to stir the pot". The most reasnoable conclusion is that "Orto is scum who got caught out". Now, the varying probabilities mean that it isn't lynchworthy in and of itself, but it is still a scumtell.
Oh, wow, it seems I addressed your entire post. FFS :roll:
orto wrote: Another example of your double standards:
^ As it turns out, an example of emotional rhetoric
Orto wrote: So here you say you don't take opposition to people opposing self-voting, but if they ask for *justification* for the act of self-voting, you do. You also repeatedly stress that you require people to give reasons for their opinions and votes. Thus, if someone did oppose self-voting, presumably you would require them to give reasons for this stance. If they gave these reasons, presumably they would be along the lines of mrfixij's response, that from a certain perspective self-voting can never help town as votes are intended to be used for pressure purposes and self-voting inherently voids this purpose. This amounts to "asking for justification for the act of self-voting", thus you'd now deem them scummy.

You essentially have three principles

1)If someone criticises self-voting this is not scummy
2)If someone asks for justification for not voting this is scummy (I find it ridiculous that you even try to draw some substantial distinction between these two positions in the first place)
3)Someone must give reasons for their argument

However if someone acts in accordance with principles 1 and 3 this implies 2, and thus it is impossible to both comply with rule 3 and criticise self-voting without appearing scummy.

Thus I feel your "principles of play", set up with much pomp are in reality a mere device- impossible to comply with, they allow you to springboard suspicions safe in the inherently-biased "groundwork" you have "laid out".
No. Again you are misrepresenting me completely. I even said in the bit you quoted:
V wrote: Ecto challenging my self-vote was not scummy in and of itself
My "principles" are this:
1) If someone criticises self-voting, this is not inherently scummy
2) If someone asks for justification, this is not inherently scummy
3) If that someone is unable to give reasons other than received prejudice as to why self-voting is scummy or anti-town, this is inherently scummy

What I look for is to see whether the "someone" is just trying to rack up points by striking on a popular target for criticism, or whether they are actually trying to discern who is and is not scum.
Orto wrote: On that note, I would like you to define "scummy" in the sense you used it in your last post. It has multiple possible interpretations, including: being anti-town, acting in a way which benefits scum, acting in a way which implies you are scum. I would like you to clarify which meaning you're using it with exactly- are you still suggesting I am mafia this game despite being a claimed mason?
I define as scummy any action which I reason to most reasonably be consistent with the conduct of scum, and inconsistent with the conduct of town.

Your conduct "scummy" in that sense. However, you are also unlikely to actually be scum.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Post by ortolan »

Ugh, I just typed out a response and then closed the browser window.
vollkan wrote:
Ortolan wrote:
Vollkan wrote: But, see, what flows from this is that calm, logical posting is by no means a towntell at all - it's simply a particular sort of playstyle.
You've (again) cherry-picked one bit of my post out of context to attack me. Nothing I said at all addressed whether or not gut is scummy. I was specifically addressing whether or not logical posting is a town-tell. That's a completely different matter.
Um no, the only reason I quoted only the second paragraph was to conserve space (which I will no longer worry about as it seems to merely leave me open to crummy attacks like this). I was responding to what you wrote in both the paragraphs jointly, and to suggest otherwise is outright deceptive (what I quoted doesn't even make sense without your previous remarks).

What you actually said was:
That's pretty much correct. What I would add, and I know that my saying this is loaded with WIFOM, is that I think the Achille's heel of logic-scum is in the assumptions as to reasonableness. As you say, all logic in this game depends on assumptions (see the last point I make to Orto below as a great example - my assumptions as to what is reasonable to expect are completely at odds with his). I guess this is the reason in part why I insist so much on reasons for suspicion - because I know firsthand that reducing things to the base assumption of "What makes the most reasonable hypothesis that this is a scummy action?" is probably a good way of breaking skilled scum. (Another reason I detest gut play - because it shirks explaining the basis for the assumptions)

Now I *CLEARLY* responded to all of this- discussing the inconsistencies in your request for "reasons" etc. so the suggestion I somehow cherry-picked and misrepresented your argument is rubbish.
vollkan wrote:
Ortoloan wrote: However, on average you're only town about 75% of the time. The rest you're scum. If you use a playstyle which is "better at catching scum" when you are scum it's not going to work out well for you. So what I can only assume you do in this case is find some way of subverting your playstyle so that it still appears to be pro-town and "logical" while trying to throw suspicion onto townies. I think this is the case this game, and will show why your apparently "logical" play has in fact been inconsistent.
*headdesk*

This is precisely what I HAVE BEEN SAYING. Logical play is not a town-tell. I don't know why the hell you are acting like you've stumbled upon some fantastic revelation - I said as much myself that logical play can come from town and scum.
No, actually, I am making an altogether different point. I am saying scum do not in fact play logically but rather benefit from maintaining a facade of doing so. If they in fact played logically, this would not benefit them as using arguments logically and consistently inherently benefits town. Instead there will be underlying inconsistencies in their logic and approach (in order to enable directing accusations where scum want them), they will merely attempt to conceal them.
Now, how about explaining to me why you "think" I have been exploiting my playstyle in this game? Because thus far, you've provided nothing but innuendo.
I gave two examples in my previous post... You claim to be a logical player but your "logic" has in fact not been consistently applied.
vollkan wrote:
Ortoloan wrote: There was more. This was an introduction to the case that I then launched against you. Did you just single out a statement to avoid relating it to it's context? I think we've "seen that before" this game...
*double headdesk*
Yes, that was the introduction. But if you bothered paying ANY attention to my post you would see that I addressed each part of your argument.
Haha! Nice try. Let's have another look at what you actually said:
vollkan wrote:
There was more than that to justify a lynch of you. You just cut it off, as though this point was being made somehow independently of the rest. Furthermore you seem to be misinterpreting what I was saying here. I was not saying "you play logically", I was saying you assume a "logical demeanour" which implies it is only an act and your approach is not, in reality, logical and internally consistent. Again, I gave two examples of this.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Post by vollkan »

ortolan wrote:Ugh, I just typed out a response and then closed the browser window.
Regular use of "Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C" is your friend
ortolan wrote:
vollkan wrote:
Ortolan wrote:
Um no, the only reason I quoted only the second paragraph was to conserve space (which I will no longer worry about as it seems to merely leave me open to crummy attacks like this). I was responding to what you wrote in both the paragraphs jointly, and to suggest otherwise is outright deceptive (what I quoted doesn't even make sense without your previous remarks).
Well, how was I meant to know that? Nothing you said made sense as a response to the first paragraph and the one sentence you quoted in isolation made it look like I had contradicted myself by drawing an equivalence in playstyles.
Orto wrote: Now I *CLEARLY* responded to all of this- discussing the inconsistencies in your request for "reasons" etc. so the suggestion I somehow cherry-picked and misrepresented your argument is rubbish.
It wasn't clear at all.

I was discussing why there is a need for reasons - to expose underlying assumptions. Your post, in contrast, was attacking my suggestion that lack of reasons is scummy and casting an assertion that my logical play was a ploy. That's only tangentially relevant to the point I was making.
Orto wrote: No, actually, I am making an altogether different point. I am saying scum do not in fact play logically but rather benefit from maintaining a facade of doing so. If they in fact played logically, this would not benefit them as using arguments logically and consistently inherently benefits town. Instead there will be underlying inconsistencies in their logic and approach (in order to enable directing accusations where scum want them), they will merely attempt to conceal them.
Okay, so your argument is that purely logical play will help the town?

That isn't true. As I am saying, logic in this game is always based on assumptions as to reasonableness, which always require some degree of judgment that isn't purely logical. Logical play is built on those assumptions. When scum use logic to attack something, it is either that: a) A townie has actually committed a scummy action (this occurs a lot, suffice to say) which the scum can attack with right logic and right assumptions; or, b) A townie commits something which is not scummy but scum can attack it with right logic and dodgy assumptions (eg. If scum attacks somebody for lurking, aggression, or self-voting they will attack on an assumption that the issue is "scummy", but they will probably lack good reasons for their assumption).
Ortolan wrote: There was more than that to justify a lynch of you. You just cut it off, as though this point was being made somehow independently of the rest. Furthermore you seem to be misinterpreting what I was saying here. I was not saying "you play logically", I was saying you assume a "logical demeanour" which implies it is only an act and your approach is not, in reality, logical and internally consistent. Again, I gave two examples of this.
Your introductory point was a scaremongering exercise - "Ooh, vollkan is hard to catch as scum". I addressed it specifically in isolation only to point out that it shouldn't serve as an independent reason for lynching (as you yourself acknowledge). It's an appeal to emotion that you should not have inserted unless you actually meant to instigate a policy of auto-lynching me.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I'm getting this bizarre sense of deja vu.

Orto, nice simple list: Why do you think Volkan is scum?

I see a lot of words again, however I see a severe absence of "X is scummy for Y" or even "X is scummy"
I actually think vollkan would be a good lynch target. As has already been pointed by others and himself; it is very difficult to determine his alignment using meta and/or analysis of his posts in and of themselves. And as he himself has just said that even as scum he will maintain a logical demeanour. That and I do think the discussion stemming from his self-vote (which he strongly contributed to perpetuating) has effectively "muddied the waters" for the town, and accomplished little. Had I not been a mason, it probably would have led to me being lynched. Obviously I am partly to blame for this, but I don't think wholly. He suggested (as did others) that I was scummy for deferring my reasoning to others. I think an equally valid hypothesis is that such extensive and unreadable discussion will lead to someone tiring of the dead-end stalemate, and seeking a lynch to break it. After all, all it achieved up to that point was votes for vollkan and Ecto, and then votes for SpyreX for "buddying up". I find it hard to believe that such an intelligent player as vollkan wouldn't recognise that a discussion like that, verbose as it was, was ultimately leading nowhere.
This alone, if you were not a claimed day-1 mason, would make me want to vote for you again.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Anyone see the Apple Dumpling Gang?
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Post by ortolan »

Well, how was I meant to know that? Nothing you said made sense as a response to the first paragraph and the one sentence you quoted in isolation made it look like I had contradicted myself by drawing an equivalence in playstyles.
Err, what? Now you're just further muddying the waters. My post was a perfectly valid response to yours. Reread:

I understand perfectly how this paragraph relates to yours. Have you been reading something else?

In case it is still unclear to you (you seem to keep misinterpreting my argument), I will try to express it more simply. You claim to have a very logical and skeptical playing style, with certain "principles" such as demanding people justify their reasoning and voting patterns, and giving your own (i.e. in opposition to gut play). I am saying as scum, you would have a vested interest in not doing this, as if you for example were forced to give your *real* reasons (that you want to get a townie lynched), then you would be discovered. Instead, you need to find ways to obfuscate your real intentions. One way you could do this is by still using these "principles", but applying them inconsistently and opportunistically. I gave two examples of where you had done this: you apparently dislike people "hedging their arguments" i.e. implying they are not confident in their vote and distancing themselves from the outcome of it (as you accused me of doing so). Yet you did the same while voting for me, by saying your vote would stand "until someone screws up more", which serves as a way of distancing yourself from your vote.

The second point is that you attacked me for "taking something out of context" when you did the same yourself. And stop saying you didn't:
Saying "there needs to be more than just this to justify any lynch of me" IMPLIES that is all the evidence I gave in support of lynching you. In fact it was an introduction which flowed on to the valid points I then made.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Post by vollkan »

ortolan wrote:
Err, what? Now you're just further muddying the waters. My post was a perfectly valid response to yours. Reread:

I understand perfectly how this paragraph relates to yours. Have you been reading something else?
Well, maybe you could explain how it directly relates to mine - because as I keep saying I just don't see any link. I was explaining why I see reasons as important. Your post was was insinuating that I am exploiting my playstyle, and that gut-play is legitimate.

Now, I'm not saying it's an invalid response but - going back to the whole point of this argument - all you quoted in reference was that last sentence of my post. In isolation, it gave a strong appearance that you were trying to suggest that I was making a point about any "particular sort of playstyle" being valid - which I was not. That's why it was cherry-picking, because the bit you chose to respond to was one which gave a different impression of what I had said.

Now, maybe you did mean to respond to the whole thing, but, as I have already said, how was I meant to know that? I might very well be wrong about your intentions - but that's neither here nor there. I can't be expected to have psychic knowledge of your every intention.
Ortolan wrote: In case it is still unclear to you (you seem to keep misinterpreting my argument), I will try to express it more simply. You claim to have a very logical and skeptical playing style, with certain "principles" such as demanding people justify their reasoning and voting patterns, and giving your own (i.e. in opposition to gut play). I am saying as scum, you would have a vested interest in not doing this, as if you for example were forced to give your *real* reasons (that you want to get a townie lynched), then you would be discovered. Instead, you need to find ways to obfuscate your real intentions. One way you could do this is by still using these "principles", but applying them inconsistently and opportunistically. I gave two examples of where you had done this: you apparently dislike people "hedging their arguments" i.e. implying they are not confident in their vote and distancing themselves from the outcome of it (as you accused me of doing so). Yet you did the same while voting for me, by saying your vote would stand "until someone screws up more", which serves as a way of distancing yourself from your vote.
Yes, vollkan-scum would have a vested interest in bending the rules if he thought it would be to his advantage. Any scum player would do the same thing?

Also the example you give is completely invalid. You hedged because you were presenting your suspicions as "slight leaning" and a "mild case", without actually giving any substance as to why.

In contrast, I voted for you "until someone screws up more". As I have already said, all that means is that I was saying that I would be voting you unless somebody scummier came along. That isn't hedging - I never once expressed self-doubt. In fact, it's perfectly ordinary play - voting for the scummiest person.

orto wrote: The second point is that you attacked me for "taking something out of context" when you did the same yourself. And stop saying you didn't:
Saying "there needs to be more than just this to justify any lynch of me" IMPLIES that is all the evidence I gave in support of lynching you. In fact it was an introduction which flowed on to the valid points I then made.
Yes, Orto, I am not blind. I know you had more material. Let me spell this out for you as clearly as possible:

The "vollkan is hard to catch as scum point" cannot, by your own admission, carry a lynch. I was drawing attention to the fact that it was not a valid reason for suspicion or anything. It's an emotional plea on your own part that I needed to quarantine and destroy. My singular attack on it was to point out that it is meaningless on its own. That doesn't imply there was nothing else - it simply attacks the viability of that one argument.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 pm

Post by mykonian »

orto wrote:I find it hard to believe that such an intelligent player as vollkan wouldn't recognise that a discussion like that, verbose as it was, was ultimately leading nowhere.
I would say, "leading the wrong way". That's why we need to look at what happened around your bandwagon. At least four people reacted on it. The way we are going now is helping more. That's why I don't like people going back to their old votes. Just because that voted originated from a discussion that wasn't about scumhunting and that those votes were clearly just for the people that talked the most.

@vollkan: If you know which assumptions are wrong, and which are right, I know you could pick out the best wrong one and show us that it was the best.

autolynching vollkan is wrong. A. He is valuable as town: he talks a lot, and gathers a lot information out of the game. B there is no case against him, only that his scumplay would likely look like his town play.
orto wrote:I was discussing why there is a need for reasons - to expose underlying assumptions. Your post, in contrast, was attacking my suggestion that lack of reasons is scummy and casting an assertion that my logical play was a ploy. That's only tangentially relevant to the point I was making.
I thought your defense weird, vollkan. well, defense... You seemed to attack orto more. A claimed, and likely mason. Seemed the wrong way.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:07 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Ok, so the analogy isnt the same, but the two O's remind me of Tim Conway and Don Knotts.

Here's a numbers game for why you dont lynch someone because they can't be meta'd. In every game, town outnumbers scum. In point of fact, if Vollkan looks the same in every game, you might argue to
keep
him around. Random assigning of roles should work out that you will play as town more than you will play as scum.

I dont propose that course of action, just pointing out that if you want to do something with Vollkan due to that meta, you are actually arriving at the wrong conclusion and choice of actions.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am

Post by mykonian »

Ecto, I feel that the same applies to you, that there is little difference between town ecto, and scum ecto. (based on reading games)

But doesn't everybody know that meta is not a very strong way of research. You have to get scum on the way they choose. If vollkan scum makes a habit of making bad choices, then we lynch him. If vollkan makes a lot of good choices, we lynch him in the end just after his buddies. That is the way you can get every scum.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”