Changes to Normal Games (update September 2022)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1150 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:48 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1149, biancospino wrote:
In post 1143, Random Nurse wrote: thus making it so at best they'd have to wait two Nights to commit a NK
You can actually already accomplish this by making all scum, e.g., compulsive odd-nights Visitors (with multitasking off) to allow to kill only on even nights; or using a combination of night specific/nonconsecutive to get whatever schedule you want
But I don't think they'd allow multiball in a Mini Normal with those changes alone.

I was trying to use the $$$ as a means to smooth it out to better allow multiball in Mini Normals.

Not sure how else to bring multiball back.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1151 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I am in favor of adding Bulwark to the Normal role list

it is a simpler variant of Shield, and Bulwark has an interesting dynamic of being able to both protect and get guilties so it really should be considered the Watcher of protective roles

I also like the idea of Thaumaturge, as a Thaumaturge becomes much stronger after someone claims a role
time will end
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1152 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Sure I will unilaterally add them. I actually don't know what our process is for making roles normal.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1153 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:16 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm not really sure either, I think these role proposals would be discussed by the NRG presumably
time will end
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1154 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 1152, T-Bone wrote: Sure I will unilaterally add them. I actually don't know what our process is for making roles normal.
In my experience in the NRG, implosion would bring them to the NRG for feedback, and then after a while, implosion would make a unilateral decision whether to make the role normal.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1155 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:54 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Which of these wordings for Thaumaturge is best?

Each night, you may learn whether or not a player is either Town or Vanilla (but not both).
Each night, you may learn whether or not a player is exactly one of {Town, Vanilla}.

I assume the second is best, but the first might be simpler.
time will end
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1156 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:39 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Great, give me a list of roles people want to consider normal and then I will unilaterally add them or not!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1157 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:14 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Normal proposals I've found here and weren't suggested by me that I think could be Normal, and my thoughts on them:

Vain - Possibly a good idea I think? We have both Loyal and Disloyal.
Publishing - Seemingly good idea, but only works for investigative roles and might work strangely for Checkers. I feel this doesn't detract heavily from Normals, however this would necessarily cause the moderator to post information in the game thread. Also note that Publishing Informed can exist!
X-Result - The generalization of a X-Shot modifier that only depletes on a specific type of investigation result. If the greylist comes back, this would easily be on the greylist.
Gutless - Somewhat interesting, but would make Doctor interesting. This was originally suggested by creating a wiki page and saying the modifier was Normal, however.

Here is a post with some other Normal proposals, though I'm thinking Cursed isn't normal.
In post 919, DDynamo wrote:Informant Role: Targets a player to make them informed of a detail of the setup. Basically the Mailman, but the message you send is predetermined by the Moderator and unknown to the player.
Charging Modifier: A further modifier to X-Shot. Charging makes it so you get charges back for events that occur in the game, such as a Cop that gets a charge every time a Town Power role is eliminated at day.
Skimmer Role: If the Skimmer visits the same target as the Doctor, the Skimmer gets protected as well.
Famous Modifier: The existence, but not alignment, of the full role of the player is announced by the moderator at the beginning of the game.
X-Result Modifier: A role that only consumes charges if the role receives a certain result, such as a Cop that's only allowed one guilty result before the role ceases to function. That would be created in a game read as "1-Guilty Cop".
Cursed Modifier: Your role will only work on other players who are also Cursed.
Obsessive Modifier: Opposite of Roaming Modifier, if you target a player you must continue to try to target that player every night until they die, at which point you're free to change.

Thaumaturge is a role I've invented and really should see discussion before being Normalized, though I consider a Thaumaturge to be a Neapolitan variant with its checkerboarded results seeming like they would make the role interesting especially if there are role claims.
time will end
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1158 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1140, Random Nurse wrote: I've got an idea for a new PR.

A Town/Scum "Sensor."

The variation I thought of only works Day 1, but I suppose could work any Day.

Basically after being eliminated, after being flipped the Mod confirms whether or not there was at least one Scum on that wagon.

A Scum Sensor probably wouldn't be that useful, but in multiball it could be.

Then again that would be OP if only Town votes...
In post 1141, Random Nurse wrote: Also, I like the idea of a Vote-Activated modifier.

For example, you, the Town Tracker, can only use your ability the following Night if you were the 1st vote on a successful elimination.

That would add a nice layer of complexity and weaken PRs further to smooth things out.

Any consideration on these?
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1159 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:20 pm

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

if all town are on a wagon with a sensor that makes it too op so nah

the second one is kinda weird and i feel like theres a better way to do that
master at being scum(my)
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1160 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:21 pm

i dont really think Publishing should be Normal but other than that temporal lichs roles sound good
master at being scum(my)
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1161 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 1158, Random Nurse wrote:Any consideration on these?
I don't think Sensor is Normal. Its reliance on wagons feels way too abNormal to me.

Vote-Activated also doesn't feel Normal to me. A reason that Supersaint isn't Normal is that it makes vote order relevant, and Vote-Activated makes vote order relevant.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1162 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:27 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Impersonal and Procrastinating are also ideas worth considering, being the inverted version of Personal and Lazy respectively.

Oh, and I meant to say that a Gutless Doctor would be useless, not interesting.

Impersonal is a strange modifier though, as an Impersonal Roleblocker is very close to just being a Bulwark.
time will end
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1163 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:37 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Uh huh.

Alright.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1164 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:43 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

If anyone is still wondering how Thaumaturge works and why I said the results were checkerboarded:

Thaumaturge Results TableTownNot Town
Vanilla
Negative Result
Positive Result
Not Vanilla
Positive Result
Negative Result
time will end
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1165 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:41 pm

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 1157, TemporalLich wrote: Normal proposals I've found here and weren't suggested by me that I think could be Normal, and my thoughts on them:

Publishing - Seemingly good idea, but only works for investigative roles and might work strangely for Checkers. I feel this doesn't detract heavily from Normals, however this would necessarily cause the moderator to post information in the game thread. Also note that Publishing Informed can exist!
X-Result - The generalization of a X-Shot modifier that only depletes on a specific type of investigation result. If the greylist comes back, this would easily be on the greylist.
Gutless - Somewhat interesting, but would make Doctor interesting. This was originally suggested by creating a wiki page and saying the modifier was Normal, however.

Here is a post with some other Normal proposals, though I'm thinking Cursed isn't normal.
In post 919, DDynamo wrote:Informant Role: Targets a player to make them informed of a detail of the setup. Basically the Mailman, but the message you send is predetermined by the Moderator and unknown to the player.
Charging Modifier: A further modifier to X-Shot. Charging makes it so you get charges back for events that occur in the game, such as a Cop that gets a charge every time a Town Power role is eliminated at day.
Skimmer Role: If the Skimmer visits the same target as the Doctor, the Skimmer gets protected as well.
Famous Modifier: The existence, but not alignment, of the full role of the player is announced by the moderator at the beginning of the game.
X-Result Modifier: A role that only consumes charges if the role receives a certain result, such as a Cop that's only allowed one guilty result before the role ceases to function. That would be created in a game read as "1-Guilty Cop".
Cursed Modifier: Your role will only work on other players who are also Cursed.
Obsessive Modifier: Opposite of Roaming Modifier, if you target a player you must continue to try to target that player every night until they die, at which point you're free to change.

Thaumaturge is a role I've invented and really should see discussion before being Normalized, though I consider a Thaumaturge to be a Neapolitan variant with its checkerboarded results seeming like they would make the role interesting especially if there are role claims.
I really want Vain to be normal, I always wanted to have something like a Vain Vigilante for instance.
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1166 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:42 pm

Post by DragonEater70 »

I dislike publishing as normal though
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1167 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:46 pm

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 1161, TemporalLich wrote:
I don't think Sensor is Normal. Its reliance on wagons feels way too abNormal to me.

Vote-Activated also doesn't feel Normal to me. A reason that Supersaint isn't Normal is that it makes vote order relevant, and Vote-Activated makes vote order relevant.
Agreed
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #1168 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:51 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 1165, DragonEater70 wrote: I really want Vain to be normal, I always wanted to have something like a Vain Vigilante for instance.
Tbf you already can do pretty much that specific role; combined Vigilante (loyal Vigilante) (loyal Bodyguard)

Which is to say that Vain can essentially already faked in normals for Town only, with the roundabout construct "combined [role] (loyal Vig) (loyal Bodyguard)", except this is quite ugly and gives the townie a gunsmith guilty that probably shouldn't have
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1169 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:02 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 1161, TemporalLich wrote:

I agree with this for similar reasons.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1170 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:05 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 1156, T-Bone wrote: Great, give me a list of roles people want to consider normal and then I will unilaterally add them or not!
As a complement/antithesis to Thaumaturge, maybe add Logician (it doesn't have a wiki page yet, but it checks if the tatget is either Mafia or a PR [but not both])?

v/la every weekend

RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1171 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:09 am

Post by RH9 »

Regarding , I would say add Informant, Famous, X-Result and Obsessive. (Maybe also Skimmer?)
Charging feels too vague to be Normal (though it'd a good modifier for other games) and I'm ambivalent on Cursed.

v/la every weekend

biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #1172 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:10 am

Post by biancospino »

In post 1170, RH9 wrote:
In post 1156, T-Bone wrote: Great, give me a list of roles people want to consider normal and then I will unilaterally add them or not!
As a complement/antithesis to Thaumaturge, maybe add Logician (it doesn't have a wiki page yet, but it checks if the tatget is either Mafia or a PR [but not both])?
Isn't it actually the same then? Would return positive on (Vanilla Mafia) and on (PR Town), which is the same as
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1173 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:11 am

isnt that the same thing as a Thaumaturge but with inverted results
master at being scum(my)
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1174 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:11 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 1157, TemporalLich wrote: Normal proposals I've found here and weren't suggested by me that I think could be Normal, and my thoughts on them:

Out of these, I think Vain, Gutless and X-Result seem like good ideas.
Publishing could work, I guess?

v/la every weekend

Return to “Mafia Discussion”