Shell Game (Day 4)

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas

marcistar
Goodfellas

Goodfellas

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am

Post by marcistar »

After playing a game on mafiauniverse where i had a lovely girliepop esk trying to coach me (LMAO) through giving reads it has highly made me enjoy doing things.

Though i will admit here like i admitted there, i am so much more interested in my nightplay than my dayplay.
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas

marcistar
Goodfellas

Goodfellas

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am

Post by marcistar »

In post 298, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 292, marcistar wrote: I want to say town i reqlly do but last time i townread someone who protected me it all turned out very wrong
I don't think that me expressing a town read on you when you have one (1) vote on you can really even be called protecting you lol.

I just town read you
Idk what im thinking but it looks like ur sticking to it hard like some previous games.
Shello and Goodbye
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Goon

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:46 am

Post by Shello and Goodbye »

In post 300, marcistar wrote: After playing a game on mafiauniverse where i had a lovely girliepop esk trying to coach me (LMAO) through giving reads it has highly made me enjoy doing things.

Though i will admit here like i admitted there, i am so much more interested in my nightplay than my dayplay.
did you play one of the mentor games i did one a while back and it was pretty fun
Shello and Goodbye
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:46 am

(also if you do feel more motivated to play and give reads and stuff now - good! i'm very happy for that change)
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: It

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Post by Hermit Crab »

All I want to do at night is to sleep decently well.

- Herr Mitt
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 294, morph the cat wrote: You're voting Action Dan, at least in part over his reaction to marci's neighborhood related posts. Do you expect him to know her towngame well enough not to have that reaction?
I actually planned on waiting for the answer to before voting, but then a wagon formed, and I wanted to feel included
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas

marcistar
Goodfellas

Goodfellas

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 am

Post by marcistar »

Nah it was https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... ruit-Mafia

It fucking killed me how nice she was so i was like "wait a min.. maybe i should humor her??" And it was kinda really fucking fun!!
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 am

Post by morph the cat »

In post 200, Shello and Goodbye wrote:
In post 175, marcistar wrote: If it helps

Theres a like ..5..? Idk how to count! Person hood and we got info that suggests scums in the hood.

I think its sus of action to say "0 or 1 scum in the hood" since i dont get why ceph would give that info if there wasnt scum in the hood?
I think hes scum trying to push the assumption of no scum in hood so he can get whateber that buff is.
In post 177, marcistar wrote: Really! Lets all claim our hoods! i am so fucking scared of mine what if theres multiple scum i know im an easy pocket..
i’m admittedly unused to this from marci (this being like… i guess not being pseudo trolly if not all out) but it matches what i think she could post as town

like it seems out of her wheelhouse to be a wolf and go hi guys. Neighborhoods? :) to me lol
So, Marci has come a loooong way since mountain dew era. But this player list is a BIG gathering, and a lot of us are playing with claws out from the get-go. So I'm going to concur, but note that it's not impossible to pass this test as scum-her, just less likely than the alternative that she's town and expects to be found eventually.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 am

Post by morph the cat »

In post 305, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 294, morph the cat wrote: You're voting Action Dan, at least in part over his reaction to marci's neighborhood related posts. Do you expect him to know her towngame well enough not to have that reaction?
I actually planned on waiting for the answer to before voting, but then a wagon formed, and I wanted to feel included
This doesn't answer my question. Or I'm being obtuse.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:51 am

Post by Dannflor »

In post 299, Shello and Goodbye wrote:
In post 297, Dannflor wrote: i think actiondan's jump on marci is the type of jump on i see from scum pretty often when they think a townie has done something objectively scummy
wdym
I think Marci's posts surrounding the hood kind of look scummy at first glance but I think if you dig any deeper it's hard to really keep seeing that

I think scum, especially early on in the game, tend to stop at that first layer when searching for places to vote as long as that first layer looks indefensible. I think town are more likely to go a little deeper. this is regardless of whether ActionDan is familiar with Marcistar or not

I think this is sort of true for the CSF read too. The "permanent FOS" for the Miller claim is kind of devoid of actually trying critically think about the game and reads like slapping a label on a slot because they did something that seems objectively scummy
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 am

Post by Spiffeh »

I’m saying this now so no one can steal it from me before I can get back to my computer and act like they thought of it first:

I’m not townreading Shello and Goodbye
Or Lukewarm
Or Pooky (this one’s not that special)

One might call them “the big three”

Sunflower remains to be seen when I can properly read what I’ve only skimmed but I’m sad no one followed me onto them, I was proud of my page six case :(
Q•U•E•E•N•U•P•T•O•O•L•A•T•E•2•0•1•7
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 am

Post by Sunflower »

i am hesitant to make excuses for actiondan as im not sure that he's town but i think that both the read on marci and on csf make sense given the mindset that i am presuming he has, and i dont think they're especially surface level

:blossom:
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:54 am

Post by Hermit Crab »

I think this is sort of true for the CSF read too. The "permanent FOS" for the Miller claim is kind of devoid of actually trying critically think about the game and reads like slapping a label on a slot because they did something that seems objectively scummy
But what about me who called CSF town on sole basis of her claiming miller?

-Herr Mitt
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:56 am

Post by ActionDan »

In post 288, Lukewarm wrote: The more I think about how Marci handled the hoods, the more I want to just town bin her for the rest of the game.
Funny the more I think about it the more I want Marci gone.

in the hood klick concurred with my opinion before she posted in the main thread.

To answer your other question I have never played with her to my recollection.

Dannflor what has Marci done to mitigate what is "objectively" scummy that I or anyone else shouldn't read her as scum?
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:57 am

Post by Hermit Crab »

In post 310, Spiffeh wrote:Sunflower remains to be seen when I can properly read what I’ve only skimmed but I’m sad no one followed me onto them, I was proud of my page six case :(
Spiffeh that’s what happens when you bring an unabridged book of Iliad to a preschool book club.

Ain’t nobody reading that hunk of text.

-Herr Mitt
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:58 am

Post by morph the cat »

In post 310, Spiffeh wrote: I’m saying this now so no one can steal it from me before I can get back to my computer and act like they thought of it first:

I’m not townreading Shello and Goodbye
Or Lukewarm
Or Pooky (this one’s not that special)

One might call them “the big three”

Sunflower remains to be seen when I can properly read what I’ve only skimmed but I’m sad no one followed me onto them, I was proud of my page six case :(
fwiw I like that you picked up some of the stuff that caused my raised hairs last night. There was one post fireisred made before I went to bed that calmed my concerns somewhat. at least for now.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 am

Post by morph the cat »

In post 264, Dannflor wrote: which probably makes sunflower town because is the type of post to make it look like you're sorting someone and get town read by the person you are pushing it isn't the type of post you make to push a scum buddy
In post 149, Spiffeh wrote: Ok the site is too laggy for me to keep refreshing the thread so I will instead devote my time to casing someone on page 6!
In post 102, Sunflower wrote:
In post 96, morph the cat wrote:
In post 94, morph the cat wrote: I have similar concerns about fireisredsir.
*WE* have concerns, simultaneously and independently!

Fire seems to have taken the "Jupiter in a scum slot fluffyness" and made it a part of himself right now. And I don't like it one little itty bitty bit.

Grrrrrrr.
i was fluffier entering kemusan which you both saw so this is an interesting take

In post 116, Sunflower wrote:
In post 112, morph the cat wrote: What has snagged your attention so far?
actiondan is interesting to me. feel safe leaning town for now i think although scum is possible

pooky a little towny

dunn a little towny although his willingness to elaborate so much on reads already was quite surprising to me. i don't think it's scummy though, just surprising

y'all i think feel eager to dig into things which is probably a good enough sign for now that id rather let you do that, although i think the point on me is one that feels misapplied

if i were to put a bet on a scum rn i think id guess STD. that's based on almost nothing however id still take the pookybucks

firebagel feels likely to be readable given time so not worried there rn

I don't like either of the above from Sunflower

The first deflects morph's (imo valid) point about their fluffiness by mentioning one game where they were fluffy early on as town. By mentioning this, it demonstrates that they are aware of their town meta and therefore should have no problem replicating it, so I'm not sure the purpose of even saying this other than to try to get morph off their back.

The second post feels like scum artificially inflating the word count to look like they have substantial thoughts, idk how to really articulate it but it feels insecure to me. The ActionDan read is basically "I think town but he could be scum" which is very non-committal, so what's the point of including it in the first place? The comments about morph and STD follow this same pattern, though less explicitly. It feels like they felt the need to pad their response to morph to make it look like they were thinking about the game critically and it resulted into a bunch of "reads" that don't actually tell me anything.

These, along with their not so stellar (but not quite irredeemable!) early posts makes me happy with my vote on them.

@Sunflower:
1. What makes morph and Dunn's takes about your fluffiness "interesting" and how does this inform your read on them?
2. Can you go into more detail on the ActionDan read?

Compare to recently ended scum-spiff scumcase on town early D1:
In post 1520, Eternity Larva wrote: my self-involved reason for scum reading Koishi has to do with their treatment of me ever since 2.0 replaced in and that feeling hasn’t ever been absolved.

i also never townread their predecessor.

buddying town reads can very much be a play style thing but the bulk of their ISO, as many others have pointed out, is less progressing the game forward and more positioning and endearing themselves to people, more performative than gamesolvey.

i don’t have their ISO open but I remember noticing there’s been a couple times where they’ve praised myself (and others?) for certain posts because they were able to get a lot out of it or something, which is a safe way look like you’re analyzing the game without revealing your thoughts or making a stance. to be fair, my recent questioning into this did generate a decent response about their thoughts on Yuuka and admittedly gave me town feels.

before sharing their thoughts on Yuuka yesterday i could not tell you one scum read that Koishi held. and even prior to this Yuuka was just middle of the road for them. while my poor reading comprehension could be a contributing factor, struggling to identify the scum reads of the player with the highest post count is concerning and again points more toward scum putting on a show of genuineness and effort

this is why i’m looking forward to their wall posts on some of their not-town reads

these are my thoughts off the top of my head so they are a bit scattered but result in a scum read. i will admit i felt some glimmers of towniness from my interactions with Koishi yesterday which is why i swapped back to Kagerou, but i’m done allowing minor town pings distract me from a body of work that is scummy overall.

I’m fine with either being eliminated
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 294, morph the cat wrote: Your answer kinda answers your question. Why are you so curious about this?
I am trying to figure out why you ended up responding to that reads list seriously. Like I think that that reads list voiced between 0 to two (MAX) actual reads in in, so seeing you respond to it seriously raised questions.

For reference, Pooky's reads list was:
-The three people pooky bantered with about being/claiming scum on page 1 in the scum pile (, , )
-Firebringer in the highest possible town pile, as consistent with the dynamic between the two, where firebringer claims scum, and pooky calls him lock town, and firebringer pretends to be offended that pooky could even consider that a possibility. This played out in this very game before the reads list.
-PenguinPower, who has made 0 posts, in town. Once again, this appears to be a Pooky+PP dynamic, as I am like 90% sure I have seen pooky say basically the same thing as fb's .

That leaves the only two that had any chance of having *any* substance behind them being the STD and the Ydra/skitter hydra reads.

I am not familiar with pooky having a dynamic with them like the PP or FB one, so that is where I see the possibility of 0-2 actual reads being expressed here, but overall this just seems like the culmination of his early banter.

So seeing you respond, with specific critiques, made me wonder how you got there.
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 am

Post by Sunflower »

i think pooky would actually genuinely scumread people off page 1-2 rvs banter

Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 308, morph the cat wrote:
In post 305, Lukewarm wrote:
This doesn't answer my question. Or I'm being obtuse.
You asked if I expected him to know how she plays. I pointed out that I am currently awaiting the answer to that very question.

I think that the way he framed his vote was scummy regardless of his experience with her but that answer could strengthen/weaken my conviction.
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 am

Post by Hermit Crab »

I can’t really determine ActionDan’s thing until I know what that seeekrit stuff is, I think.

-Herr Mitt
Shello and Goodbye
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Shello and Goodbye
Goon
Goon

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:09 am

In post 205, ActionDan wrote:
In post 119, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 107, ActionDan wrote:
In post 92, Dunnstral wrote: My thoughts so far:

Sunflower in post struck me the wrong way as I wasn't expecting that post from fireisredsir, and then they had a lot of filler type posts. They then call me towny and I'm not sure what they are basing that off of either with the 4 posts I had before.

ActionDan's post rubs me the wrong way because I don't agree and don't know how they reached their conclusions. Perhaps they can explain.
Sunflower is because of forces outside the main thread. I will not explain that at this time, but may before the day is through.

Firebagel was because as an alt that may very well only exist for the purpose of stealing Firebringer's scum claiming gimmick, it hadn't posted for a page.
OK. Why is not posting for a page scummy?
People who engage in gimmicks like that place a high priority on RVS banter to form early reads. If they do not post while the iron is hot, the utility disappears as well.

---

I see our neighborhood has been outed. At first glance this worry from Maristar looks planned and manufactured. And with the goodfellas award I am discarding this as an oversensitive townie

VOTE: Maristar

Secondly CSF earns a permanent FOS for the Miller claim for this particular game alone.
revisiting this i think if dan is a wolf it's very funny to reference someone's goodfellas award to bolster a vote
i want to say it's Too Much but maybe that's early lol.

also i do think that extricating planned and manufactured from what marci said around the neighborhoods (that she was scared or it was weird or s/t) probably is bizarre to an outsider
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:09 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 318, Sunflower wrote: i think pooky would actually genuinely scumread people off page 1-2 rvs banter

This may be true that he has started gathering reads, but there is no way that that list reflected that. That list was still locked into the banter.

I might believe that it was serious if there was some variance, but he literally put all three of the people he called scum by post 20 into the scum pile, and zero other players.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:10 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 321, Shello and Goodbye wrote: revisiting this i think if dan is a wolf it's very funny to reference someone's goodfellas award to bolster a vote
That was probably my least favorite part of that post tbh
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:10 am

Post by morph the cat »

In post 317, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 294, morph the cat wrote: Your answer kinda answers your question. Why are you so curious about this?
I am trying to figure out why you ended up responding to that reads list seriously. Like I think that that reads list voiced between 0 to two (MAX) actual reads in in, so seeing you respond to it seriously raised questions.

For reference, Pooky's reads list was:
-The three people pooky bantered with about being/claiming scum on page 1 in the scum pile (, , )
-Firebringer in the highest possible town pile, as consistent with the dynamic between the two, where firebringer claims scum, and pooky calls him lock town, and firebringer pretends to be offended that pooky could even consider that a possibility. This played out in this very game before the reads list.
-PenguinPower, who has made 0 posts, in town. Once again, this appears to be a Pooky+PP dynamic, as I am like 90% sure I have seen pooky say basically the same thing as fb's .

That leaves the only two that had any chance of having *any* substance behind them being the STD and the Ydra/skitter hydra reads.

I am not familiar with pooky having a dynamic with them like the PP or FB one, so that is where I see the possibility of 0-2 actual reads being expressed here, but overall this just seems like the culmination of his early banter.

So seeing you respond, with specific critiques, made me wonder how you got there.
specific?

You've put some thought into matching Pooky's list to what was going on during the first few pages. I think you know me as a player about as well as you do Pooky. How does my taking partial exception to Pooky's list fit with your understanding of my playstyle?

Somewhat tangential: we wanted to see players bring their A games last night. I think to some extent that happened, and we're feeling pretty good about it.

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”