Newbie 694 (over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
magicrabbit
magicrabbit
Townie
magicrabbit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am

Post by magicrabbit »

Xtoxm wrote:This may not go down well, but what the heck.

Can't we just lynch him without a replacement?
Well I asked for it because I was having a hard time finding what is actually a case.

Then of course there is the time he hammered almost immediately post-claim and then starts advocating for a lynch of West before there was even a replacement.

Or said that there was a W-CR or W-CC scumpair without any evidence or points backing it up, basically. Or wanted to lynch militant without any points.

Still suspicious of others but:

unvote;
HOS hambargarz
vote Xtoxm
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 am

Post by hambargarz »

Whilst rereading, this popped out...
CarnCarn wrote:I'm suspicious of Xtoxm for a number of reasons. The delay to answer questions is only one part. Here are the other ones:

1. Quick hammer before people had a chance to react to the Dipstick claim.

2. Blatant buddying/defending of hambargarz (Note: this is suspicious regardless of whether ham is scum or town).

3. Deflecting suspicion onto the other IC by suggesting the NK "suits him," without offering any semblence of an explanation until it was dragged out of him tooth and nail (this one could be tunneling on my part, though).

4. Major lurking while active in other games.

5. Calling CR scum for voting him (looks like OMGUS, more attempts to deflect suspicion onto anyone other than him).

And I'm sure I'm missing some other things, too.
Why haven't you voted him? You haven't voted anyone or presented any suspicions of anyone else since, surely he must be you're prime candidate? I smell wishy-washyness.

FOS: CarnCarn

-----------------------

In fact, I've gone through and read CarnCarn's posts and they all have a fence-sitting, wishy-washy, active lurking vibe to them. Let me go through them going backwards from now..

Posts 640, 617
Don't contain any new information. Just promises for some.

Post 599 is borderline.

Post 582:
CarnCarn wrote:
GIEFF wrote:Why would you just accept what others say as true? Are you so sure that neither CR or I is scum?
Normally I don't. This (xtoxm's posting/lack of posting) sounded like something that could be proven/disproven by checking Xtoxm's post history. I didn't think either of you would be blatantly lying about something that could be verified like that. I should have checked myself, it appears (but, you were both right, to a certain extent anyway).
The response to GIEFF is diplomatic and blatant fence-sitting offering no solid position anywhere.

Post 562
CarnCarn wrote:Yeah, I actually didn't notice W_O_U was up to L-1 until I saw the latest votecount.

Regarding my point 4, it's something I just assumed was correct from what GIEFF and CR had said. Not original content from me, just borrowing their points (which, if true, is a very strong one). I'm not sure now what to think about Xtoxm lurking, but I think the other points are valid anyway. I haven't been paying as much attention to West (largely because he's been invisible for a while now). I'm going to go back and look at his posts again and what people are saying about them.

L-1 is generally claim-time, but I want to see if this wagon is worthy. First impression says it seems to have built quite lazily.
Another wishy-washy post, After reading this CarnCarn's position on things were no more clear and I had received no new information from it.

Post 547 is a repetition of another players question

Post 544 I've already gone over at the top of this post.

Post 536 No new information here, CarnCarn confirms he was V/LA previously, Says he's been observing things, and gives another promise to read up.

etc..

I haven't been selective with CarnCarn's posts here, These are literally every single one of his posts going backwards from now (I could even go on from where I left off, but I think my post is getting a bit long). I find every post containing one or a combination of 3 things:

1) space filler that is either repeated points from other players, stating the obvious and confirming things that don't advance the game (eg, promising rereads, confirming V/LA)
2) Wishy-washy or fence-sitting opinions that offer no clear position.
3) No new information, analysis, findings directly on other players.

All these are symptoms of an active-lurker.
+1 FOS: CarnCarn

CarnCarn has managed to hang quite low with this kind of posting. He's been quite low on my radar as a result. I find that usually the people you least suspect are the ones that are actually scum.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Yeh, i'd happily lynch him today.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:22 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Infact i'm leaning a bit more away from CR and towards CC-MR pair. He's still a long way above the rest though.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:06 am

Post by hasdgfas »

VOTE COUNT:

Xtoxm(2): ClockworkRuse, magicrabbit
magicrabbit(2): hambargarz, Xtoxm
ClockworkRuse(1): GIEFF

Not Voting: CarnCarn, Amished
7 alive, 4 to lynch

Deadline in
One Week
Last edited by hasdgfas on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 am

Post by Amished »

.... @ mod: It's not Westbrook anymore >_> You could at least do like a Westbrook_Owns_U/magicrabbit combo now.... You have magic voting at least

Hey, I changed it in one place, isn't that good enough? ;)
magicrabbit
magicrabbit
Townie
magicrabbit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am

Post by magicrabbit »

I will say that I've already stated I have had a hard time getting a read on CarnCarn so hambargarz probably has a point here. I was wondering why the lack of voting also.

Xtoxm: You're probably not going to answer me, because you're basically never given any reasons for anything, but what about CarnCarn and me suggests a scumpair?

Note that you had this opinion before I even replaced, which I really just don't understand.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:00 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Nothing in particular, though you've had almost no interaction, which increases likeliness.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
magicrabbit
magicrabbit
Townie
magicrabbit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:03 am

Post by magicrabbit »

Xtoxm wrote:Nothing in particular, though you've had almost no interaction, which increases likeliness.
Although I guess that point is fair, I guess my predecessors didn't have much interaction with anyone, though.

I was wondering why CarnCarn and Amished had no interaction with plenty of opportuntiies in an earlier post, actually.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 am

Post by Amished »

Ok, what with the deadline coming up, and seeing more from rabbit in particular and others, I'll go through what I've seen lately, and where my suspicions lie.

I wanted to wait with this for a while to give me more opportunity to have posts from magic after the first couple posts that I saw that made me think he was acting scummy, while also trying to wait for CR to .. "come back" or whatever so that GIEFF can explain his vote and case more fully.

Going through MR's posts, starting with 606 on page 25: Already he's crossing his own path. He doesn't want to be a psychologist for people he's never met, but then he goes on to analyze them a bit anyways. He knows why we were suspicious of him/them, and doesn't do a very good job of casting off any scumminess I believe. The quick summary, and lack of concern for our questioning of WOU/inf's play and their lack of appropriate responses is disregarded in my eyes.

I think a lot of what concerns me that I'll bring up is MR's overstatement of cases. 607: first summary of GIEFF, and his "minor manipulation attempt" quote. Seems rather extreme for something a lot of us either didn't catch or thought was harmless, or not manipulative in any way.

Also in 607, I don't like the way that he attacks GIEFF (who he states is really pro-town) and then kinda tries to explain gieff's behavior. Isn't it better to just ask the questions, make it at least look like you care about the question, and then not give him an easy out to answer the question? This comes up a decent amount too, and I think that's part of the reason's for xtoxm's :? in 608.

I like GIEFF's defense in 609, basically pointing out that MR overreacts to other people's playstyles. I like the logic shown, and definitely still remains in my more pro-town side of the list.

610: MR rescinds anything conviction he might've had to the questioning of GIEFF's manipulation. I personally think you should try to just bring up points you think are strong, and try to hammer those instead of devoting more time to questions you didn't seem to care too much about. Then, you say that hindsight helps, but then go on to say that you saw the same thing first read through in the right order. Seems conflicting in the same sentence. I also don't like the "voting pro-scum" talk against GIEFF after knowing the outcome of the vote, and realizing that the others are already dead. Then again with the criticizing of GIEFF's vote when he stated that he probably would've been in the same position. I'm still not a fan of this apparent duality.

Again, GIEFF coming up with the same reasons I have for deflecting the attacks, but apparently not as convinced that MR is scum as I am. GIEFF again finding the holes in MR's argument, but not becoming suspicious. Perhaps trying to avoid a OMGUS appearance? Knowing where it looks like GIEFF's suspicions are at the moment though doesn't lead me to believe that the faulty arguments are that scummy to him.

Back and forth, and my defense of myself. Still seems like trying to make cases more extreme than they are.

As for against ham: this time it looks more reasonable and based on decent reasons based on ham's posting. There's some extremism here, but good points as well. As ham states, there's still some differences in understanding the wording. Some of which I agree with, some of which I don't. Moot point. Not much actual information is posted by ham in 629 I feel. There's a fair amount of theory talk, which at this point doesn't seem right. Why talk about theory rather than defending yourself with your own actions, unless you don't think you can?

O.o at xtoxm asking about the self lynch. I don't know what this is about, and I was wondering why he felt he was the number one candidate on enough people's list to be a lynch. I thought I understood xtoxm somewhat decently up to this point, but then something like this comes out and I get a "bwuh?" moment.

@ xtoxm: Who are you referring to in 652 when you said: "Yeh, i'd happily lynch him today. " Are you talking about MR (who your vote is on) or CC after your suspicions of him and Ham's post pointing out CC's lurking?

I haven't really looked at CC's posting patterns before, but I think it's cause he hasn't really been posting anything that made me think. I didn't notice this, but ham's post about it, and my looking back to confirm what he said, is extremely suspicious. There seem to be real life complications for CC, but obviously in mafia you can lie about anything. I'm not sure where I stand on CC's innocence, but nothing recently has helped his case.

In any case, my point from the beginning of the post about my feeling that MR consistently overstates cases against people, and then (right now) voting for xtoxm while not waiting for his post analyzing his play (just making side comments in his analysis of other people) like he's done before makes me think he's trying to build a wagon with the stated suspicions of everyone else without backing it up, yet. Especially with the deadline, and his referring to having a full case against xtoxm but not posting it yet makes me suspicious of his motivations.

Therefore, I renew my
Vote: magicrabbit
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 am

Post by Amished »

EBWOP: I've been watching the philly/zona game, and the longish post let some people post in between them, so I'll respond to them as well.

I guess it's just in response to 658 and MR: How does
I guess my predecessors didn't have much interaction with anyone, though.
clear you at all? If xtoxm felt it was scummy before, and you've admittedly not done anything concerning that suspicion, why would you be less scummy in his eyes?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 am

Post by Xtoxm »

O.o at xtoxm asking about the self lynch. I don't know what this is about, and I was wondering why he felt he was the number one candidate on enough people's list to be a lynch. I thought I understood xtoxm somewhat decently up to this point, but then something like this comes out and I get a "bwuh?" moment.
Well, everyone but you had jsut stated some suspicion of me, I wanted to know where I stood.
@ xtoxm: Who are you referring to in 652 when you said: "Yeh, i'd happily lynch him today. " Are you talking about MR (who your vote is on) or CC after your suspicions of him and Ham's post pointing out CC's lurking?
I was talking about CC. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with MR.

Good post, btw.

Gieff, it's decision time. I suspect CR and CC will be coming my way, you have the hammer.
magicrabbit
magicrabbit
Townie
magicrabbit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 am

Post by magicrabbit »

Well Amished,

I haven't done my post on Xtoxm (or CR, for that matter) simply because they are time consuming and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not trying to overstate a case on anyone, it just seems like that probably because I've been going through and pointing out everything that seems suspicious to me throughout the entire game player by player?

Anyway, I hope you learn to not automatically trust ICs and use flimsy reasons to trust other players by the next day because you're going to be in a lynch or lose situation after you lynch me (assuming no successful doctor protection). If you aren't scum that is.
magicrabbit
magicrabbit
Townie
magicrabbit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 am

Post by magicrabbit »

Amished wrote:EBWOP: I've been watching the philly/zona game, and the longish post let some people post in between them, so I'll respond to them as well.

I guess it's just in response to 658 and MR: How does
I guess my predecessors didn't have much interaction with anyone, though.
clear you at all? If xtoxm felt it was scummy before, and you've admittedly not done anything concerning that suspicion, why would you be less scummy in his eyes?
I didn't try to pretend it clears me; but it seems like a lot of minds were made up before I even joined. I am pretty sure I am going to get lynched so frankly there's not anything I can do to convince you why SOMEBODY ELSE didn't post or interact with people much, I'm not going to try anymore.

Just when I come up town, remember who pushed for this, and wanted to lynch me before even getting discussion going on anyone else playing the game.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:24 am

Post by Xtoxm »

I actually find that kinda reaction in the face of a lynch quite a strong town-tell, generally..
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:43 am

Post by hambargarz »

To tell the truth, my main suspicions Day 2 have been on CR.
CC because of his lay-low kinda approach and MR for reasons already stated.
I had highly suspected CR-CC scum pair because both were kind of laying low. And CR-MR because of the CR defense-like posts of MR (WOU at the time). I didn't mention anything about them earlier because I wanted to observe their behaviour without knowing I was watching them in particular.

Lately however I'm finding CR less suspicious and am tossing between CR and MR trying to find out which is more scummy. I'll be re-reading earlier posts by realityfan's and CC's more earlier posts to decide as I am already quite familiar with infamouseace/WOU/MR's posts.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:47 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Unvote

I have found all three of the roles holder's scummy, but I think i've seen a town-tell, and got a week to think about this so may as well use it.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Post by Amished »

magicrabbit: Saying cases is fine, but exaggerating points is what I was talking about, and it was something I still notice from you since my big post today. I thought I had better reasons lately to vote for you rather than other people, what about my case against you do you find flimsy? Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but without time taken by you in defense, I'd have no way of knowing until a) endgame if you're alive b) night-kill or c) lynch what you really are 100%. None of which will help now if you feel you're in danger, and is anti-town from my point of view.

Seeing the facts now (after the xtoxm unvote), and the fact that I unvoted during the intermediate period to give you a chance to defend yourself suggests more to me that we had an open mind and wanted you to try to prove to us that you were actually pro-town. Not sure about how ham feels lately (fos on xtoxm jan 12th and a fos CC twice in the same post today) still making you the most suspicious, but that doesn't lead to people making up their minds about you. This is the type of exaggeration that I have a problem with. Also, I don't recall GIEFF, CR or CC ever really expressing that much suspicion of you, so one of them would've had to deviate from their normal behavior to hammer you.

Again, not trying anymore is not going to help the town, mr. You're not at L-1 anymore, and it doesn't look like GIEFF, CC, CR or xtoxm are going to vote for you (though I don't know what CC/CR are going to do at all) I'd say you're in rather little danger.

Personally, I don't push for lynches. I try to elaborate on what I feel is scummy behavior, and behavior I don't like in a person that's supposed to be pro-town, and let others decide based on my argument. Hopefully my argument is strong and others agree with my points and add their own leading to a lynch, or there's a logical explanation for behavior and I'm proven wrong and can continue to scumhunt on a more likely target. Yet another example of your way of over-stating things, which I will continue to be annoyed by.

And then we come back to ham, who says his suspicions haven't even really been on you lately (why no unvote ham?) but apparently not really?

... :shock:

You (ham) seem to implicate MR, CC and CR all at once, state that CR was the main concern for your suspicions, mention a CR-CC scumpair, say that you're finding CR less suspicious, and then continue on to try to decide who between CR and MR is your most scummy. What are you trying to say, other than you're sitting in the middle of a field not knowing which banana is a fruit when you're surrounded by corn. Would you please elaborate on what caught your eye for all three of them being scummy?
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Post by hambargarz »

Amished wrote: And then we come back to ham, who says his suspicions haven't even really been on you lately (why no unvote ham?) but apparently not really?

... :shock:

You (ham) seem to implicate MR, CC and CR all at once, state that CR was the main concern for your suspicions, mention a CR-CC scumpair, say that you're finding CR less suspicious, and then continue on to try to decide who between CR and MR is your most scummy. What are you trying to say, other than you're sitting in the middle of a field not knowing which banana is a fruit when you're surrounded by corn. Would you please elaborate on what caught your eye for all three of them being scummy?
Oh dear, I've made a bad typo, My original post was supposed to say that I was originally suspicious of a CR, but lately CR seems less suspicous compared to CC and MR. CC and MR are the two that I'm tossing between. I find CC's behaviour scummy, but not willing to remove my vote just yet as MR is also scummy. I will decide after my reread. Since Xtoxm has removed his vote, I see no immediate need to remove mine from MR.

So to clarify, its CC and MR I'm tossing between, not CR and MR
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Post by CarnCarn »

Sorry, RL just hasn't allowed me to keep up with the gobs of "content" being posted in this game. On skimming, I can say that hambargarz's suspicions are rubbish and misrepping in a big way. I am not just regurgitating others' ideas as he accused. Only point 4 was something I took at the word of others; the others were my own thoughts, although others then used those.

I apologize for the decline in posting but the large posts have delayed me from catching up.

Also, he uses my non-voting of Xtoxm to making me look scummy. CR had already made that accusation earlier, in almost the same situation in the game (oh the irony of accusing
me
of borrowing ideas...). Now, I'll respond with the same answer I gave CR: Do you (hambargarz) think I
should
vote Xtoxm now? Why should I vote him now?
Notice the key word: now. And notice also that I have repeatedly said that I haven't been able to catch up with the game. For that matter, do you think I should have been voting Xtoxm at the point when CR asked that same question?
FoS: hambargarz
I think it's much more possible now that he's scum trying to deflect attention from a scumbuddy in danger of being lynched (either magicrabbit or Xtoxm). I know this comes off as OMGUSy but it's really not because his accusations aren't worth the bits of server data they're stored in.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Yeh it is scummy, why are you unwilling to vote someone you are apparantly so supicious of?

Vote CC

He's barely given an opinion on anyone, and only recently started to sheep onto my "easy" wagon.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 am

Post by Xtoxm »

ClockworkRuse wrote:Progress update, by the way, I'm going to pick up on my re-read at five or six.
Cba?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:55 am

Post by Xtoxm »

I just read CC and CR, and I understand why CC has been getting such a free ride (from me too) his earlier posting does look pretty good. However I don't think this affects points made against him, and I noticed a lot of his discussion has been theory based rather than trying-to-make-progress based if you get me. His more recent play and particularly how he's been attacking me looks scummy though.

CR, mixed really, I did again pick up on that scumminess I got before but i'm not really sure how to describe it.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Naps are pretty win.

Can I ask, please, what is everyone's opinion on CC right now?

(btw - by everyone, i'd like something from all participants)
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Expect CC, if he doesn't want.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”