[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:41 am

Post by Adel »

Korts wrote: It is a game without any fun.
from another perspective, it is a game where augmentation and judgment is all that matters... but I think I agree with you. Typical game: "I'm the vengeful townie. Lynch me and I'll flip a coin." or 10k words to the same effect.
And yes, 689 is at True Love :) I just went to have lunch and posted without checking the thread. I nominated it for certification.
I seconded it. Very well designed.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 am

Post by Empking »

Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:The First Part of your breaking strategy: Scum could also claim scum. That's not a problem with the set up.
The second part: This doesn't increase the town's odds of winning.
That's true. But masons will have to claim, since lynching a mason = a town loss. And if masons claim, then scum counterclaim, and again, it is down to a single player to actually play.
If masons claiming leads to masons getting lynched then it ruins your reasoning for masons claiming.
Um, masons
not
claiming is what may lead to masons getting lynched, while masons claiming turns the game into a single player's decision. It is a game without any fun.
So mason claiming leads to masons not getting lynched?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:15 am

Post by Korts »

Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:The First Part of your breaking strategy: Scum could also claim scum. That's not a problem with the set up.
That's true. But masons will have to claim, since lynching a mason = a town loss. And if masons claim, then scum counterclaim, and again, it is down to a single player to actually play.
If masons claiming leads to masons getting lynched then it ruins your reasoning for masons claiming.
Um, masons
not
claiming is what may lead to masons getting lynched, while masons claiming turns the game into a single player's decision. It is a game without any fun.
No, masons claiming leads to there being two pairs of masons being claimed, leaving the vengeful townie to decide.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:17 am

Post by Adel »

Adel wrote:Typical game: "I'm the vengeful townie. Lynch me and I'll flip a coin." or 10k words to the same effect.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:20 am

Post by Empking »

Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Um, masons
not
No, masons claiming leads to there being two pairs of masons being claimed, leaving the vengeful townie to decide.
Why do the masons claim?

Adel: Lovers, roll 1d6 then let the 1d6er roll a dice to work out who the next to lynches are. Is Lovers broken?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:27 am

Post by Korts »

Empking: the masons claim because if they don't, they are lynch candidates--and a mason lynch is an instant loss for town.
scumchat never die
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:32 am

Post by Empking »

Korts wrote:Empking: the masons claim because if they don't, they are lynch candidates--and a mason lynch is an instant loss for town.
They Claim: So they won't be lynched.
When they claim: The odds of one of them getting lynched goes up by 10%.

Am I getting this right?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:34 am

Post by Korts »

Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:Empking: the masons claim because if they don't, they are lynch candidates--and a mason lynch is an instant loss for town.

Am I getting this right?
No. Neither the real masons nor the claimed masons will be getting lynched, the vengeful townie will.
scumchat never die
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:36 am

Post by ortolan »

actually I just thought of something interesting regarding your setup Empking

if it is agreed beforehand that it is suboptimal town play for masons/scum to claim, then if anyone claims they get autolynched. Then you just play mafia. If the townie gets lynched then they have additional knowledge of who the scummiest on their wagon were. This doesn't change the expected win percentages from a cold hard neutral probabilistic perspective but probably in practice does help town.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:37 am

Post by Adel »

Empking: The masons will claim and the scum will counter, or the scum will claim mason and the mason will counter or the random wagon will be on the Vengeful townie and it will go through to his lynch. The masons aren't going to vote for each other, and neither are the scum. Either way the vengeful townie will be the player who decides.

Your setup is too symmetrical There will be nothing to differentiate between masons and mafia. Each is a set of two players that know each other's alignment and, if lynched, will lose the game.

In ortoleans True Love the mafia can daytalk, and are also lovers with other players. It will also come down to a "coin flip", but it will have a couple of days of information to inform that decision. The mafia will much more likely to have distinct tells from the other players since there is something that makes them different: they know the alignment of player in a different lover pair, and they can secretly communicate with each other.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:37 am

Post by Empking »

Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:

Am I getting this right?
No. Neither the real masons nor the claimed masons will be getting lynched, the vengeful townie will.
So the confirmed town is lynched. Why?

And does it increase the town's odds to bertter than 50%?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 am

Post by Adel »

Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:

Am I getting this right?

or the two masons will vote a scum player, and the two scum will vote for a mason, and the V. townie will hammer.
It doesn't make any difference
-- either way the V. has to choose between two identical groups with no informational or motivational difference between them.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:00 am

Post by Empking »

Adel wrote:
Empking wrote:
Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:

Am I getting this right?

or the two masons will vote a scum player, and the two scum will vote for a mason, and the V. townie will hammer.

So the masons claim in order to not get lynched by increasing their odds of getting lynched?
-- either way the V. has to choose between two identical groups with no informational or motivational difference between them.
Yes, the town is punished for poor play. Why is that bad?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:02 am

Post by Korts »

Empking wrote:So the masons claim in order to not get lynched by increasing their odds of getting lynched?
They aren't increasing their odds of getting lynched unless I'm missing something big.
scumchat never die
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:04 am

Post by Empking »

Korts wrote:
Empking wrote:So the masons claim in order to not get lynched by increasing their odds of getting lynched?
They aren't increasing their odds of getting lynched unless I'm missing something big.
Adel said the VT hammers.

1/5 = 20%
1/4 = 25%
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:17 am

Post by iamausername »

Empking wrote:
There would be no difference between poor play and good play on the townie's part, because the two groups he has to choose between are functionally identical. Nothing he does will possibly increase his odds of choosing correctly above 50%.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:21 am

Post by Empking »

iamausername wrote:
Empking wrote:
There would be no difference between poor play and good play on the townie's part, because the two groups he has to choose between are functionally identical. Nothing he does will possibly increase his odds of choosing correctly above 50%.
They are not functionally identical.

The mafia knows who the town and the mafia are. The masons do not.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:26 am

Post by iamausername »

The mafia know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are masons, but not which is which. The masons know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are mafia, but not which is which. What's the difference?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:29 am

Post by Empking »

iamausername wrote:The mafia know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are masons, but not which is which. The masons know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are mafia, but not which is which. What's the difference?
The townie and mason have the same win con, the mafias and townie don't.
FAIL
FAIL
Ninja
FAIL
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:34 am

Post by FAIL »

Empking wrote:
iamausername wrote:The mafia know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are masons, but not which is which. The masons know that one of the other three is the townie, and the other two are mafia, but not which is which. What's the difference?
The townie and mason have the same win con, the mafias and townie don't.
Please roll 1d100 and hit your head with an eight-pound hammer that many times.
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Post by Simenon »

Simenon wrote:
Mafia A; Mafia B

Nightless
Mafia A
Mafia B
4 Townies

If Mafia B is lynched before Mafia A is lynched, everybody loses.
Mafia A wins all three player endgames.
Everybody knows the full extent of their own role PMs
Any other comment on this? I'm not sure it would be a fun game, but the strategic implications fascinate me.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by ortolan »

I think what will end up happening is if you run up a mafia then they will claim Mafia B. If it is actually Mafia A the real Mafia B will argue quite stringently to get them lynched which may well give them away also.

Either way Mafia A is likeliest to win in my opinion.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Oldest Trick in the Book

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Post by Trojan Horse »

No one would claim Mafia B.

Would Mafia B confess if he's about to be lynched? Well, that might save him temporarily. But in order for Mafia B to win, Mafia A must first be lynched (which could still happen) and then Mafia B must survive to endgame (which definitely would not happen). So Mafia B won't confess, no matter what.

Because of that, Mafia A won't claim to be Mafia B. That would be suicide; the town knows Mafia B would never confess, so this person claiming to be Mafia B must actually be Mafia A.

No, no one will claim Mafia B. And if anyone stupidly does, they should be immediately lynched.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 am

Post by ortolan »

^^^ that doesn't actually follow from the setup- if you're confident you caught a scummy I see few instances where you could be confident they're Mafia A rather than B, especially assuming even half-decent scumplay from the scum.

Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Post Post #724 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 am

Post by Johoohno »

Popularity Mafia

Only goons and vanillas (perhaps 3 goons and 9 vanillas?).

Day works as always (random voting, tempered arguments, voting and lynching - well you know the drill)

At night EVERYONE sends in a person they wants to have nightkill immunity, and the one with most immunity supporters gets the immunity that night. You shouldn't be able to vouch for yourself.

Comments?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”