Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:55 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Fuldu wrote:
vikingfan wrote:Good point. I could VERY easily see this being a game where nobody wins because no one is alive at the end.
... As for the first paragraph, it's actually harder to do than you think. And there are mechanisms in place to address that eventuality.
Because Paper always beats Rock in RPS, so he changed the kill guidelines for the endgame.

Bah. I should have gone with my initial instinct once I started discovering Paper...
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:56 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Fuldu wrote:
vikingfan wrote:Good point. I could VERY easily see this being a game where nobody wins because no one is alive at the end.
... As for the first paragraph, it's actually harder to do than you think. And there are mechanisms in place to address that eventuality.
Because Paper always beats Rock in RPS, so he changed the kill guidelines for the endgame.

Bah. I should have gone with my initial instinct once I started discovering Paper...
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:26 am

Post by Fuldu »

I didn't change the kill guidelines, per se, I simply established a set of rules for deciding on an outcome if a night ended with everyone dead. If it occurred with only two teams still in play, you got what you see. Since there never would have been a successful lynch vote, it would have boiled down to waiting for somebody to make a mistake in their night choices (which nearly happened here), which wasn't how I wanted the game to end.

If all three teams were still in play, the melee would have ended with everybody getting up unharmed. With three teams, a lynch vote would still have been possible, though it might have been hard to come to agreement on who to lynch. After that, night would proceed with some progress having been made.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:27 am

Post by Fuldu »

I didn't change the kill guidelines, per se, I simply established a set of rules for deciding on an outcome if a night ended with everyone dead. If it occurred with only two teams still in play, you got what you see. Since there never would have been a successful lynch vote, it would have boiled down to waiting for somebody to make a mistake in their night choices (which nearly happened here), which wasn't how I wanted the game to end.

If all three teams were still in play, the melee would have ended with everybody getting up unharmed. With three teams, a lynch vote would still have been possible, though it might have been hard to come to agreement on who to lynch. After that, night would proceed with some progress having been made.
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:08 pm

Post by vikingfan »

Woohoo! I thought for sure we were dead when we were down early but we strategized nicely and resurrected ourselves from the dead.

As it turns out, my decision to pick Rock worked perfectly-if we had picked Scissors, they would have won. Man, that game was hard-I thought for sure we were dead after we were down a paper at the outset. I thought we were dead half a dozen times, but things worked out just right.

Great game, Fuldu. I predicted at the start that the game would be a classic and it looks that way, at least from my (biased) point of view.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:45 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't know. The fact that it didn't occur that way *except* in the endgame makes me feel funny about it. If Rock could have never night-killed Paper, that would be one thing... we could have at least had a chance to figure that out. But then, Mgm wouldn't have died to Scissors, so it would have been a very different game.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm highly amused that I was targeted for death Night One by two other Rocks. :roll:
StrykkerVerde
StrykkerVerde
Goon
StrykkerVerde
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:09 pm

Post by StrykkerVerde »

Good game everybody.
I miss Puzzle.
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Post by vikingfan »

BTW, Fuldu, you said in another thread that this game was turning out much differently than you expected. How so? And what was your theory as to whether or not it was good to lynch?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:27 am

Post by Fuldu »

I had expected there to be a greater effort on the part of more of the players to hide their allegiances. Basically, there were only two attempts, when Narninian voted for a fellow paper Day One, and when STD lied about his mafia. That made figuring out who was on what teams, as Mr. Flay then did, much, much easier.

I think lynching was a crucial part of the game, but I think it would have made better sense for more people to behave as Narninian did. Once it became obvious who was going to be lynched, it was in everyone's interest to get on the wagon, just like it is when scum know that one of their own is on the chopping block. I hadn't expected there to be no kills Night One, so I figured someone with an investigation against one of the non-killed teams would suggest a lynch and everybody would go for it. With all three teams still at full strength, it made picking one lynch over another much harder. Later lynches all went pretty much as I would have expected, though choosing to eliminate DarkLight140 instead of letting him decide which team lost one of two members was a surprise. Obviously, that was a bad decision for Rock, though they didn't know that.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I want to apologize if I sounded like I didn't enjoy the game in my earlier post-endgame comments; I
did
, most definitely. It was an interesting variation on a theme, and as you say, never quite went the way anyone expected...

I was merely
resigned
looking forward to an orgy of blood the final night, that's all. :twisted:

Good game, to all, especially Paper who completely dodged the odds!
DarkLight140
DarkLight140
Goon
DarkLight140
Goon
Goon

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:01 am

Post by DarkLight140 »

I don't know. I would have said that once Paper got down to two people, everyone would be more concerned with getting the kills targeted against the other enemy than getting rid of them- that's actually the first thing that occured to me as Paper started going down in numbers. Since whoever went down first gained rapidly in effective power, "dodging the odds" isn't a phrase I'd use to describe what Paper did at all.

Except for the last night. I was so very sure I'd managed to pull a draw, too... :cry: I figured that going 2v1v1 was asking for someone to venefully kill me instead of the 2-team.
To be Continued...
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:39 am

Post by vikingfan »

I disagree Darklight. Much of the discussion was to get rid of the papers-which IMO was the correct play. What hurt you guys was that we decided directly after pwnz was lynched to kill scissors. If we hadn't done that, we were shot right there. Also, we weren't getting a lot of nightkills anyway.
DarkLight140
DarkLight140
Goon
DarkLight140
Goon
Goon

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:57 am

Post by DarkLight140 »

Looking at the night choices, two people messed up that night. Scissors, it looks like, pulled off our part flawlessly and threw a protect in as well, but Rock stopped our kill, and only one of you Papers targeted us in any case. If not for StrykkerVerde's mistake, you'd have lost the game- your plan to kill Scissors made no difference at all. After that, though...
To be Continued...
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:48 pm

Post by vikingfan »

DarkLight140 wrote:Looking at the night choices, two people messed up that night. Scissors, it looks like, pulled off our part flawlessly and threw a protect in as well, but Rock stopped our kill, and only one of you Papers targeted us in any case. If not for StrykkerVerde's mistake, you'd have lost the game- your plan to kill Scissors made no difference at all. After that, though...
Bingo-if not for SV screwing up, we never even sniff the endgame.

I find it interesting how two different decisions were made during the game that went different directions. Rather than eliminate Paper completely, both sides negotiated for Paper's assistance. Then, when it was 2 v. 2 v. 1, we made exactly the opposite decision and eliminated Scissors.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:24 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Well, in the case of Paper, you still would have had a loose cannon firing that night (only one of the two could have been lynched), and the balance of power didn't allow either Scissors or Rock to risk being targeted by that person.

With Scissors at 1, it was a no-brainer, or so I thought... :?
DarkLight140
DarkLight140
Goon
DarkLight140
Goon
Goon

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:30 pm

Post by DarkLight140 »

The difference between the 3v3v2 and 2v2v1 scenarios is that when oneteam has significantly more kill-power, it's more worth it to have them on your side- getting numers AND kills- rather than just getting numbers in the 2v2v1 thing. If things had worked as I'd planned, it would have been in my interest to get lynched (thereby ensuring a draw) and in your guys' interest to get me on your side (thereby bringing up the possibility of the 1-man teams targeting each other, giving the 2-man team a win). Or so I thought.
To be Continued...
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:47 am

Post by vikingfan »

Out of curiousity, Fuldu, was there any scenario where EVERYONE would be dead?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 am

Post by Fuldu »

I considered allowing everyone to die if all three teams were still in play and day dawned with everyone dead. But that scenario still allows for a lynch to occur, even if everyone knows who everyone else is, so I finally decided that that scenario would results in everyone walking away bruised but alive.
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:24 am

Post by vikingfan »

Hmm-so there would have been a winner, no matter what. Interesting. That would have changed a lot of play styles if we had known that from the beginning.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

See, and if we hadn't HAD to lynch & kill, I'd have lobbied Paper for a draw after we lynched Scissors...
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Post by vikingfan »

How would that have worked? Would we have just agreed to no-lynch and no-kill forever?
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Post by vikingfan »

Actually scratch that. I see what you're saying-have people kill each other in their own scum group, though I wouldn't have bought that.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

No, actually I *am* saying we agree to no-lynch and no-kill when we get to 2-2 (assuming we'd killed Scissors correctly). I'd forgotten that Fuldu said we couldn't avoid killing... I thought it would be the perfect way to end the conference, with a new alliance. 8)
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:27 am

Post by vikingfan »

Out of curiousity, Darklight, if we had gone the other route and tried to convince you to side with one of us, who would you have gone with?
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:30 am

Post by vikingfan »

Oh, and Locus, you shot your own team's chances. I thought seriously about going with scissors-Darklight played a very good game, but I just didn't feel that I could trust Locus after his whole "must go after scissors" spiel. If we had gone with scissors, scissors would have won, oddly enough.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”