Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Post by DOESnotWANT »

Henrz wrote:Uhh? Random Vote?
Vote: Droid
Why are you unsure?

To anyone who feels like answering:

What is your opinions on the random voting stage?

Why did you pick this game in particular?

Who do you expect to be the first person to be lynched this game, and why?

Who do you want to be lynched first this game, and why?

Thank you for your time.
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Post by DOESnotWANT »

Starbuck, why did you choose not to answer any of my general questions?
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Post by DOESnotWANT »

Starbuck wrote:
DOESnotWANT wrote:Starbuck, why did you choose not to answer any of my general questions?
Because they didn't seem like they were pointed at anyone else but Henrz, since you quoted his post.

I have to get ready for work, but I will answer them when I get home. :D
I pretty clearly labeled one question towards him, and the others towards other people.

Why did you feel the need to answer them now?
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (isolation #3) » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Post by DOESnotWANT »

Starbuck wrote:
DOESnotWANT wrote:
Starbuck wrote:
DOESnotWANT wrote:Starbuck, why did you choose not to answer any of my general questions?
Because they didn't seem like they were pointed at anyone else but Henrz, since you quoted his post.

I pretty clearly labeled one question towards him, and the others towards other people.

I was reading in a rush before I went to work yesterday. After you pointed it out, I went back and saw that not the whole post was directed towards him and answered your questions. Why the hostility?
I wouldn't say I'm being hostile. I would say I'm playing a game of mafia, and asking you a question about an action you took in said game.

Is there some particular reason you don't want people questioning your actions?
FOS: Starbuck
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am

Post by DOESnotWANT »

Starbuck wrote:
DOESnotWANT wrote:
Starbuck wrote:
DOESnotWANT wrote:
Starbuck wrote:

I was reading in a rush before I went to work yesterday. After you pointed it out, I went back and saw that not the whole post was directed towards him and answered your questions. Why the hostility?
I wouldn't say I'm being hostile. I would say I'm playing a game of mafia, and asking you a question about an action you took in said game.

Is there some particular reason you don't want people questioning your actions?
FOS: Starbuck
Absolutely not. Question me all day, but question me about game related stuff rather than the fact that I was on my way out the door to work when I realized that there were other questions that weren't related to Henrz for everyone else.
I feel that I definitely am asking you questions about the game. First of all, using an excuse such as "I was on my way out the door lol" does nothing to placate me, because 1) I have absolutely no way of verifying that, so it does absolutely dick to me in terms of my position, and 2) if you don't have time to post, you shouldn't post anyway, for this exact reason.

The general thrust of my attack wasn't that you didn't answer the questions. It was rather that you didn't answer them, and then when someone pointed them out to you, you decided you should answer them after all. This shows to me that you're trying to avoid attention, a point that seems confirmed to me when you term my even handed, reasonable questions as "Hostility" What do you think we're doing, playing tiddly winks? This is mafia.

Non-Random Vote: Starbuck
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49 am

Post by DOESnotWANT »

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
ODDin wrote:Monkey, I'm not talking about the line of questioning Starbuck specifically (which is a bit too harsh IMO, but then again, I'm not a big fan of pressure tactics), but rather about DNW's original questions, which sort of pulled us out of the RVS.
Also, pardon me if I don't see how playing "Two Truths and a Lie" (with non-mafia related topics, at any rate) helps the discussion. The problem in RVS isn't the need to break the ice, it's the need to get on topic and generate some actual game-related discussion.
However, more often than not, the RVS takes peoples statements out of context or blows things out of proportion, resulting in a day one mislynch.
I have several things to say on this subject. First and foremost, a day 1 misslynch is not bad per se. It is the foundation for all further analysis and discussions further on down the line. In my opinion a day one misslynch is one of the most valuable tools that the town has to base their votes off of on later days. This is not to say that nailing scum day one isn't nice-it is-but rather that it's not the end of the world if you get it wrong.

Secondly, I would argue with your contention that the RVS is the "cause" of misslynches. Rather, I would argue that misslynches are caused by the distinct lack of information that the town has on day one. This seems to me to be an inherancy to mafia, and is not something that is caused by the RVS. If you'll notice, I did not place a random vote myself, because I don't think random votes are particularly effective at starting off good discussion, but I've instead chosen to throw out a series of questions intended to begin discussion. To that point, I think that Monkeys 2 truths and a lie serves a similar interest, but probably is not executed as well as it should be. The questions should tend to be on the game of mafia, so that the player answering them is at least taking a stand on something that they might have to defend later in the game. That's why questions like "Who do you most expect to be lynched today, and why?" are good, because they lead to further discussion about the game, and later can be used to catch scum in a catch-22.

Lastly, I would say that the purpose of day one is not necessarily to catch scum, although it is a pretty nice thing when you do. The purpose of day 1s is to maximize the information that you have to go off of on subsequent days, whereby you make as informed a decision as you can on day one.
Oddin wrote: Monkey, I'm not talking about the line of questioning Starbuck specifically (which is a bit too harsh IMO, but then again, I'm not a big fan of pressure tactics), but rather about DNW's original questions, which sort of pulled us out of the RVS.
Also, pardon me if I don't see how playing "Two Truths and a Lie" (with non-mafia related topics, at any rate) helps the discussion. The problem in RVS isn't the need to break the ice, it's the need to get on topic and generate some actual game-related discussion.
The questions themselves are not really the point. The point is discussion on the game. I think level of harshness, or whatever you object to in my line of questioning is tempered by the situations in which the questions arise. For instance, my current discussion takes place at the very beginning of day one, where it is necessary to force players to take stances and talk in a very direct and persuasive manner. Scum are not going to simply pop up and say "LoL I am scum." You have to force them to.

that being said, I am not convinced that starbuck is scum, just that they are the most likely to be based off of current events, which is generally how I choose to use my vote. Information will never be perfect.
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 am

Post by DOESnotWANT »

EBWOP:
Sorry, i messed up the quote tags there.
MOD, would you fix that?
DOESnotWANT
DOESnotWANT
Townie
DOESnotWANT
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by DOESnotWANT »

My attack on you is not based on your failure to answer the questions, it's based on your attitude in calling my line of questioning "hostile" when it seemed to me to be a perfectly normal follow up on a set of questions I'd asked. In my opinion, it's scum who are hyper sensitive about others readings of their actions, and are much more likely to label something as "hostile" and "attacking" when it isn't.

This is the basis of my vote on you.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”