Newbie 816 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:17 am

Post by dramonic »

the deadline is close... I'd prefer either a Tfrench or IKD lynch, but if by sunday we're not close to lynching either I'll embark on the highest wagon.

I prefer lynching someone seemingly innocent over not lynching
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:30 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Why would you lynch someone you think is innocent?

Scum are likely to pile on to a mislynch, increasing the size of the bandwagon even though they're not scum. Simply picking whatever lynch is easiest helps mafia, not town.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 am

Post by dramonic »

On the contrary, EB, no lynching day 1 helps scum more than town, as a lynch is a wealth of information.

Yes, we end up in 5 town vs 2 scum, but it's easier to hit scum with information.

If we do a no lynch, we end up 6 blind town vs 2 scum and day 2 much more rarely end in no lynches and is much more prone to mislynch.

I'd easily take 2 myslinches over 2 no lynch.
I'm a hoot
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Cirdua
Cirdua
Goon
Cirdua
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 am

Post by Cirdua »

vote:Imkingdavid

imkingdavid wrote: You'll note that I specified that I was only doing this because popular opinion was for it, and I figured they would do it anyway, so I might as well get their thoughts on the matter. I still don't think that it helps town.
Although neither does their tunneling me
If you don't think it'll help town, don't do it. Saying something like "I don't think this is the right thing to do but I'll do it anyways because..." won't really help if you're trying to convince people you're town.
imkingdavid wrote:
It wasn't that I was not suspecting some response, it's that I wasn't expecting Adel to tunnel me continuously
after I had already provided reasoning. I gave my opinion and my reasoning and he continued showing me just how stupid my opinion must be (even though it still makes perfect sense in my head). Just for the record, we've been going on like this for numerous pages, but no one has actually countered my opinion, other than saying that I am arrogant. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but don't personally attack me. Attack my idea. That's perfectly fine.
imkingdavid wrote: I haven't had much of a chance to scum hunt recently because:
1) V/LA (previous and upcoming)
2)
Adel, zwet and princess continuing to tunnel me

3) Real life stuff
About the
italic
parts, I can't help but notice how you keep complaining about people tunneling you. It's the only argument you seem to be using, apart from complaining about people calling your posts arrogant. Somehow you have avoided to give any real suspicions or arguments in your posts and have instead been going on and on about how unfair it is that everyone seems to be targetting you, having people argue against you should not hinder scumhunting. You also seem to become very offensive even if someone asks only a small question.
Dramonic wrote:the deadline is close... I'd prefer either a Tfrench or IKD lynch, but if by sunday we're not close to lynching either I'll embark on the highest wagon.
I don't really like the sound of that,this means you will either be easily manipulated by scum to vote someone or you're scum and this is an attempt to have some arguments to protect you in case you lynch a townie...
Dramonic wrote:I prefer lynching someone seemingly innocent over not lynching
I agree to this, not lynching won't help us.
ElectricBadger wrote:Why would you lynch someone you think is innocent?
Uhm, where you sleeping when we had this whole discussion about why lynching a townie is better than a NL? I also believe a bandwagon was formed because of it, or was that just my imagination?
AurorusVox: About Cirdua [...] when she comes back [...]
Cirdua: That's
he
, thank you.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:15 am

Post by dramonic »

Well, I don't think me being manipulated is an issue, unless 2 votes suddenly pop up on someone real quick, in which case we'll know we found scum XS
I'm a hoot
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:23 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Cirdua wrote:I don't really like the sound of that,this means you will either be easily manipulated by scum to vote someone or you're scum and this is an attempt to have some arguments to protect you in case you lynch a townie...
Agreed; increasingly suspicious of dramonic. Very bloodthirsty, explicitly willing to lynch anyone (nice pre-emptive excuse for helping a mislynch), lack of any scum hunting and a penchant for one line responses that fill a posting quota without contributing anything. FOS.
Cirdua wrote:Uhm, where you sleeping when we had this whole discussion about why lynching a townie is better than a NL? I also believe a bandwagon was formed because of it, or was that just my imagination?
Sarcasm ftw. Lynching a neutral is better than refusing to lynch, yes; but would you facilitate a lynch against someone you felt was Innocent? Wouldn't you consider it better to keep pushing for a lynch that you felt had a good chance of being scum?

If townies will push for any lynch at all then a mislynch tells us nothing, because town would be acting just like mafia. I'd rather have 6 town and no info than 5 town and no info. And besides, a failed bandwagon tells us much more than a No Lynch wagon, so this is hardly the same situation.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

dramonic wrote:Well, I don't think me being manipulated is an issue, unless 2 votes suddenly pop up on someone real quick, in which case we'll know we found scum XS
So flawed I'm not even sure where to begin.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 am

Post by dramonic »

Yes, I know, it is a very flawed response and I would much rather lynch someone I see as scummy, but unless you hadn't noticed we're 4 days from the deadline <_<
I'm a hoot
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Dismissing any chance of mafia interference is ridiculous, and the fact you knew you were misleading people only makes it worse. Pushing a quick lynch for a deadline that's still days out makes you no less scummy. You've done everything you could to encourage and excuse a mislynch, particularly distressing in the face of your lack of investigation into who may be a valid target and easy assumption of guilt.

Unvote Manz, Vote Dramonic
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:36 am

Post by dramonic »

The only mafia interference we'll have is if we try to lynch one of theirs.

I'm not pushing for a quicklynch, I'm pushing for people to vote and get on one of the wagons instead of spreading the votes so broadly

I'm not encouraging a mislynch, but I am excusing it, because lynching is the best source of information. The fact you are so scared of a mislynch is paralyzing and a nuisance to the town.
I'm a hoot
Cirdua
Cirdua
Goon
Cirdua
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:11 am

Post by Cirdua »

ElectricBadger wrote: but would you facilitate a lynch against someone you felt was Innocent? Wouldn't you consider it better to keep pushing for a lynch that you felt had a good chance of being scum?
That depends, if I were scum I'd push an innocent lynch. But when I'm town I rather lynch scum. If there is no particulary scummy player, I would rather lynch a townie then lynching noone. Then if we lose we can atleast say to ourselves "Oh well, atleast I tried" :D
ElectricBadger wrote: If townies will push for any lynch at all then a mislynch tells us nothing, because town would be acting just like mafia.
But if we were to lynch, say, ImKingDavid and he turns out town, that would atleast give us some leads to start with, we'd probably question whoever was on that bandwagon, pressurize a bit, someone makes a scumtell (due to the pressure perhaps?), and another one, and there is our Day 2 lynch. Sounds like a solid plan, no? :P
dramonic wrote:because lynching is the best source of information.
again, this only goes up when you lynch someone with atleast 6 posts of discussion, a completely random lynch is one of the worst things that could happen to us.
dramonic wrote:I'm not pushing for a quicklynch, I'm pushing for people to vote and get on one of the wagons instead of spreading the votes so broadly
Quicklynching=people voting on an existing wagon without thinking about it instead of spreading their votes in attempt to hunt scum.
ElectricBadger wrote:I'd rather have 6 town and no info than 5 town and no info
Let me get some numbers:
-If the town would now form a bandwagon to lynch someone the chances of lynching scum are 2/9
-If the town would not form a bandwagon to lynch someone the chances of lynching scum are 0/9
You don't need to be a genius to figure out that 2/9>0/9 so I'd rather lynch someone.
You could counter this by saying something about the chance to lynch a townie, but in either case atleast one townie would die (unless a doc protects someone ofcourse)
dramonic wrote: The only mafia interference we'll have is if we try to lynch one of theirs.
Or if we're about to lynch a townie and they feel the need to jump (believe me, some of the newbies here are capable of doing that even after all our discussion about how stupid that would be)
AurorusVox: About Cirdua [...] when she comes back [...]
Cirdua: That's
he
, thank you.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 am

Post by dramonic »

My perception of quicklynching is lynching someone before they have time to defend themselves.

On another site the day began while I was cooking supper and when I finished eating I was lynched. THAT is a quicklynch, in my opinion.
I'm a hoot
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Cirdua wrote:
ElectricBadger wrote: but would you facilitate a lynch against someone you felt was Innocent? Wouldn't you consider it better to keep pushing for a lynch that you felt had a good chance of being scum?
That depends, if I were scum I'd push an innocent lynch. But when I'm town I rather lynch scum. If there is no particulary scummy player, I would rather lynch a townie then lynching noone. Then if we lose we can atleast say to ourselves "Oh well, atleast I tried" :D
I believe we're talking about two different things here. You're talking about compromising and voting someone that doesn't strike you as the scummiest suspect; which I do feel is valid. I'm talking about lynching someone you specifically think is innocent, or that you have no worthwhile suspicions of, simply for the sake of killing someone, per dramonic's statement:
dramonic wrote:I prefer lynching someone seemingly innocent over not lynching
Also, why do you feel the need to respond for dramonic, rather than letting me force him to make posts longer than the 2 line snippets he's gotten away with so far?
Manzcar
Manzcar
Goon
Manzcar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:00 am

Post by Manzcar »

If I read the rule right
mod please correct me if I am wrong- at the dead line the first person to reach three or more votes will be lynched

so dram you wanting to put the fear of a nolynch possibility strikes me as odd. Also just jumping on a bandwagon for no other reason but to get a lynch does not seem protown. You can gain leads from a mislynch only if you can understand and question peoples motives for their vote. If their reason is because we needed a lynch that give us no clues to question or pressure them. People should vote based on their evidence, logic, and gut feelings. Then if a mislynch occurs those things can be questioned. Voting for the sake of voting gives us nothing.

I do have suspicions o tfrench based on the second L-1 vote and the way he did it. It rubbed me the wrong way. The only problem is that he has flaked and there is no replacement so gaining any additomal information is not going to happen.

CIrd do I understand you correctly when you talked about not lynching someone with few posts because it doesn't help the town and would you put tfrench in this category?

Also IKD is suspicious to me. The talk about the teory and arguing over is a distraction to thee town and not discussing theory was brought up in my first game with him so it seemed odd. I also didn't lke how he dropped his vote on tfrench just because I said that his vote did not line up with his theory on third vote is scum.

I'm sorry for any misspellings and if any of this is confusing doing it from my iPhone.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am

Post by purple princess »

Okay, well I guess we can presume that tfrench has left this game and we are just waiting on a replacement now, I think it would be really unfair to vote/lynch him without hearing from his replacement first. This looks like it was his first game on here, maybe a little bit of pressure and he decided this wasn't for him.
dramonic wrote: the deadline is close... I'd prefer either a Tfrench or IKD lynch, but if by sunday we're not close to lynching either I'll embark on the highest wagon.
We still have 4 days before deadline, alot can happen between now and then. Why would you jump on the highest wagon if we were no closer to finding scum? I wouldn't vote for someone if I thought they were town just because everyone else was doing it. Imo this seems a little odd to me!

FOS
Dramonic

@ havingfitz, do you still think tfrench is still scum? or was it just a newbie move? what are your thoughts on a quicklynch the closer we get to the deadline?

unvote

havingfitz I am giving you the benefit of doubt about you being new for your lack of content in you earlier posts
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Post by dramonic »

@Manzcar

Huh, missed that rule.

Mod
:Is it the first one to hit 3 votes past deadline or the first one to have gotten 3 votes in the game?
The Rules wrote:
At deadline
, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
In the latter case, EB is going to die.

Also, I fail to see how you can even fathom we won't get information from lynching someone. Any lynch gives information, rather right or wrong.
I'm a hoot
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Post by zwetschenwasser »

EB is probably the most protown person in this game. fitz, I'm a guy, and I don't see how your points have anything scummy in them.
UW Huskies Class of 2014!
Spontaneous Bastard Mafia II is accepting replacements.
Manzcar
Manzcar
Goon
Manzcar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:47 am

Post by Manzcar »

I love free wi-fi it allows me to do this:

dramonic said
Also, I fail to see how you can even fathom we won't get information from lynching someone. Any lynch gives information, rather right or wrong.
I didn't say a lynch doesn't give us information. I said voting for the sake of voting gives you nothing. You gain information from all lynches and bandwagons. If everyone just votes "XYZperson" just because we are close to the deadline we don't have as much information as if we have people voting for reasons based on evidence, hunches, or logic.

As far as the deadline rule as I read it the person at the deadline with the highest number of votes at 3 or more would be lynched. If there are multiple people with 3 or more votes the person with the highest number of votes would be lynched.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:35 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

4 Days to Deadline
Vote Count

purple princess - 1 (tfrench)
dramonic - 2 (zwetschenwasser, ElectricBadger)
imkingdavid - 2 (dramonic, Cirdua)

Not Voting - 4 (havingfitz, imkingdavid, Manzcar, purple princess)

5 to Lynch.
Deadline
is the end of Tuesday, August 11 (Eastern, GMT - 4).
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:35 am

WE DON'T WANT A NO LYNCH PEOPLE!
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 am

Was just wondering if lailai and tfrench are being replaced any time soon? this game seems a little quiet and slow which could be bad for us so close to deadline.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:42 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

I would assume that even if they were replaced today, the new players probably wouldn't be caught up before the deadline; which is why I gave up waiting for TF's replacement.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am

Hmmm very true, was just wondering, I have no great suspisions apart from ikd right now, and this is making things very difficult as he isn't here to defend himself at the moment.

After all this talk of miss lynching I fear this may be inevitable for day one unless we get extreamly lucky as I just don't think there is much to go on right now.
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 am

GAH!
Unvote; Vote: IKD
Let's get this over with plz.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:36 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Why so rushed, Zwet? Still 4 days left.

PP - Don't misinterpret me. Mislynches are to be avoided, so you should have good logic and your own reasoning behind your vote - and not just vote for anyone! - but they do happen. I generally ask myself "If this is a townie, and we lynch them, can I justify why I voted?"

However, this isn't a game about knowing for sure. If townies are too paralyzed by fear of a mislynch to act, mafia WILL win.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”