#1: A treatise on arguing in the game of mafia:

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:50 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Great post. A worthwhile read for players of all skill levels.
Yosarian2 wrote:There are situations where it's the right move for a townie to be in "convincing mode" in order to convince the other person, and the rest of the town, that they actually are town; this is somewhat different from "convincing the town the person you are debating with is scum". If you are doing this, it's important to not attack the other person just because he's attacking you; that restriction can make it harder to debate, but if you honestly think that the person attacking you is likely to be town (and you need to think about this in as calm and logical a way as you possibly can), then you need to defend yourself and try to disprove with his arguments against you without actually attacking either his alignment or attacking him personally.
I agree here.
Vi wrote:On line with the cow, I've been accused of asking too many questions before, and I've heard it called a scumtell but I've never quite understood why.
I consider asking a lot of questions but a lack of real analysis or stances taken based on the asking of those questions to be a scum tell.
Vi wrote:One of the most common pitfalls in Mafia is trying to convince scum they are scum.
I sometimes try to "convince" scum that they are scum. "Are you sure you're not scum? Cause right here it looks like you are. I mean, that's exactly what scum would do in that situation." I like it as a sarcastic tool to use for the purpose of convincing the rest of the town that someone is scum.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Thestatusquo wrote:This is probably exactly what I'm NOT saying. A huge thing to note for scum is that they SHOULD be making anti town plays. The point is that they should ask themselves before they make them if they are likely to be lynched for it. Risk vs. Reward is important here.
I agree. If you can get away with making anti-town plays, there is absolutely no reason not to make them as scum.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”