Newbie 841 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
OMGHammer
OMGHammer
Townie
OMGHammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:28 am

Post by OMGHammer »

PaltryExcuse wrote:Just reading other games on the forum, I noticed a lot of conversation on whether or not random voting is necessary / helpful. Curious as to people's thoughts, especially those who have experience on this forum.

Also, a random question aimed more at the newbies, how much experience have you at this type of mafia (forum-based)?

Personally, I only have the bit of lurking and reading other games on this forum. I've played mafia with friends, but never before on forums with people I've never met. This is my first game.
No experience, but I've been looking around the forums as well as the random voting looks useful for starting debate. We'll have to start looking at everyone's randoms once everyone's involved for the voting patterns.
OMG
Mafia_failure
Mafia_failure
Townie
Mafia_failure
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 am

Post by Mafia_failure »

PaltryExcuse wrote:Just reading other games on the forum, I noticed a lot of conversation on whether or not random voting is necessary / helpful. Curious as to people's thoughts, especially those who have experience on this forum.

Also, a random question aimed more at the newbies, how much experience have you at this type of mafia (forum-based)?

Personally, I only have the bit of lurking and reading other games on this forum. I've played mafia with friends, but never before on forums with people I've never met. This is my first game.
Of course it is necessary. How else would people start an actual conversation? Would we have a serious post for the first post? If we did, it would be like blaming someone for no reason which is basically RVSing but only more serious. Besides we don't always want serious posts from the start and we want to gather tension up along the way anyway :)
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 am

Post by DeathNote »

OMGLyncher wrote:
FoS Deathnote
for not having the conviction to stay with his random vote: Could be that he's mafia trying to appear neutral
What you talking about? I voted for Fitz first, then voted T-chan for bandwagoning. Try not to make to many assumptions, k?

I think that random voting is a neat way to start the game, especially when there is a chance to find a scum slip from someone being careless.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Tororingu-chan
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 am

Post by Tororingu-chan »

Deathnote, are you saying that your vote for me wasn't a random vote then?? @_@;; You voted me for bandwagoning?? From the tone, I thought it was jokey/random and you just liked wagons as much as I did~~~ xD

Whether your vote was random or not, you sure changed your mind about it fast. ^__^;; I was just reminding everyone to pay attention to the number on votes on people. L-2 isn't close to a lynch yet...

Vote: DeathNote

See? No problem~~~ ^_^

*Was the vote for me a random vote or not?
*What kind of slips do you think scum can give in the random voting stage??

Answer seriously, because my vote isn't random! ^_^
Tororingu-chan
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 am

Post by Tororingu-chan »

@PaltryExcuse: I've had experience with this game before~~

It's fun!! d(^o^)b
OMGHammer
OMGHammer
Townie
OMGHammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:26 am

Post by OMGHammer »

To be fair to Deathnote I'll
FOS Tororingu-chan
as well. The way they've ripped into each other I'm thinking that if one is town the other is mafia.
Still not enough suspicion to make me vote for one or the other though.
OMG
Tororingu-chan
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 am

Post by Tororingu-chan »

@OMGLyncher: Ermm... >_< I don't think there's any reason at the moment to believe that just because we're arguing, one is us is mafia and the other one is scum.... arguments are commonplace in this game and you can't draw any conclusions on alignment from these disagreements... @_@;;

*What do you believe I did that deserved a FoS? >_<;;;
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:12 am

Post by DeathNote »

OMGLyncher wrote:To be fair to Deathnote I'll
FOS Tororingu-chan
as well. The way they've ripped into each other I'm thinking that if one is town the other is mafia.
Still not enough suspicion to make me vote for one or the other though.
If anything, this deserves a FOS as in no way are we ripping into each other. We were jesting during a random vote stage.

I take it that you are still going to FOS me for voting for T-chan on my second random vote. I unvote because I wish to actually find scum now instead of playing around with her/him. (Whats your gender T-chan? :D)
Tororingu-chan wrote:Deathnote, are you saying that your vote for me wasn't a random vote then?? @_@;; You voted me for bandwagoning?? From the tone, I thought it was jokey/random and you just liked wagons as much as I did~~~ xD

Whether your vote was random or not, you sure changed your mind about it fast. ^__^;; I was just reminding everyone to pay attention to the number on votes on people. L-2 isn't close to a lynch yet...

Vote: DeathNote

See? No problem~~~ ^_^

*Was the vote for me a random vote or not?

Answer seriously, because my vote isn't random! ^_^
It was merely a demonstration that bandwagoning should not be done. I suppose I should have FOS you instead but voting just seems to have so much more of an impact.

The slips I am looking for, is what Lyncher is starting to do, exaggerating little things and trying to make everyone seem scummy. In the end, it just makes him look bad for FOSing.[/b]
OMGHammer
OMGHammer
Townie
OMGHammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am

Post by OMGHammer »

Thanks for the advice. I'll try not to make those sort of mistakes in the future. I just felt that it looked suspicious, but if all the veterans say it is normal then I'll shut up.
OMG
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

Unvote

OMGLyncher is handing out FoS's like Halloween candy and I have no idea what to make of Toro's almost panicked talking about wagons. Panicked vibe (that I also get with the smiley-posting-style) makes me lean towards scum.

[quote]Whats your gender T-chan? [quote]

...really? Check out the gender symbol under her name.
SAMMICHES SAMMICHES SAMMICHES
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 am

Post by DeathNote »

Pablo Molinero wrote:
Unvote

...really? Check out the gender symbol under her name.
meh what makes you think I am that observant?

:oops:
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

Since DeathNote has already posted, I'll pipe in and say that random votes in newbie games never seem to yield anything of value (in my expereince). While they help "get the ball rolling" so to speak, in the end they're just an irrelevant starting point. That faster we're out of the RVS, the better.
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 am

Post by havingfitz »

PaltryExcuse wrote:Also, a random question aimed more at the newbies, how much experience have you at this type of mafia (forum-based)?
This is my 2nd game ever. Talked into trying Mafia by my son (who is somewhat obssessed by it). First game went to the scum. I was townie and lynched on Night two.

Still too much random chat going on in here to form any useful opinions IMO.

Unvote
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Me wrote:I noticed a lot of conversation on whether or not random voting is necessary / helpful. Curious as to people's thoughts, especially those who have experience on this forum.
Mafia_failure wrote:Of course it is necessary. How else would people start an actual conversation?
Some games start with random questions about how the game works, or just semi-loaded questions. People respond to them and work off those answers as leads to scum/townie.

Also going to
unvote
my completely random vote.
Tororingu-chan wrote:Answer seriously, because my vote isn't random!
If it isn't a random vote, what's your reasoning for voting? I'm unsure.
Tororingu-chan
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Tororingu-chan »

DeathNote wrote:It was merely a demonstration that bandwagoning should not be done. I suppose I should have FOS you instead but voting just seems to have so much more of an impact.
On the contrary, wagoning in the RVS is GREAT~~~!! It gets the ball rolling much faster! ^___^

Reasoning for voting DeathNote:

*I didn't like how he unvoted me the moment I told him to

Yeah, that's it.... strong argument? No, but what do you expect from page 2~
It was a more of a pressure vote than anything, but you know, pressure votes kind of lose their point if you tell everyone it's just a pressure vote... >_<;;

For now DeathNote's responses seem adequate, so I'll
unvote
. ^_^ I'd like to mention that L-2 isn't really close to a lynch -- you'd need both scum to jump on the wagon (not the cleverest of scum strategies) or two really clueless townies~~ I've actually seen the latter before and someone was quicklynched page one~! Town lost that game~

On FoS's

A wussy way of spreading suspicions around without actually voting~~~~ v_v I don't like them and I won't use them.... I think people should put their money where they mouth is and VOTE if they find people so freaking suspicious!!!! (too bad we only have one vote, right? ^_^)

In the case of OMGLyncher, my initial instinct is to attribute his compulsive FoSing to newbie error... I don't think he realises how heavy-handed a FoS is~! OMGLyncher, it's okay to voice your suspicious, but a FoS is serious business...!! O_O

@Pablo: Are you going to vote me for smiling?? ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^
ehehehe sorry, but that's just the way I post~~
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Post by DeathNote »

You think I am adequate? Aww.. why thank you! :D

Ok so lets get things rolling a bit. What role do you prefer to play and why?
Mafia_failure
Mafia_failure
Townie
Mafia_failure
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Post by Mafia_failure »

Since this is a newbie game, anyone could act stupid with out knowing it. I also find people who FoS suspicious unless they have two people to choose which in this case is what OMGLyncher did. Its not a good idea to Fos in RVS but nothing scummy or anti-town.
OMGHammer
OMGHammer
Townie
OMGHammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Post by OMGHammer »

Since everyone else is doing it, and since my only reason for my RV was a now nonexistent OMGUS I'll
unvote

The reason I chose to FoS rather than vote was because my suspicion was due to the early accusations of bandwagoning: voting for either party worsens the situation for the town and just drags me into the argument.
OMG
Mafia_failure
Mafia_failure
Townie
Mafia_failure
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:32 am

Post by Mafia_failure »

PaltryExcuse wrote:
Me wrote:I noticed a lot of conversation on whether or not random voting is necessary / helpful. Curious as to people's thoughts, especially those who have experience on this forum.
Mafia_failure wrote:Of course it is necessary. How else would people start an actual conversation?
Some games start with random questions about how the game works, or just semi-loaded questions. People respond to them and work off those answers as leads to scum/townie.

Also going to
unvote
my completely random vote.
Tororingu-chan wrote:Answer seriously, because my vote isn't random!
If it isn't a random vote, what's your reasoning for voting? I'm unsure.
I think somehow that is what happening here
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:47 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Tororingu-Chan...How many games have you played? Actually, I'd love it if everyone could answer that one for me please.

Also Tororingu-Chan...what is a short form that you'd like for your name? If I keep having to type the whole thing out, I'll want to lynch you just for that...hehehe! I was thinking Chan if it's ok with you. I also can't tell you how nice it is to have another girl in a game..a bunch of my games are all boys and the testostorone is starting to get contageious...hehehe!
The more I see, the less I know
The more I'd like to let it go.
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:48 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Vel...I probably won't be around for the weekend.
The more I see, the less I know
The more I'd like to let it go.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:18 am

Post by DeathNote »

I have played two games. One I was town and one I was Scum and both were wins. I am currently in two other games, excluding this one, however I have a bad feeling that I will be dead soon in one of them.

I enjoy playing town roles the most, because then I don't have to worry so much about my posts being scummy. People are always accusing me of being scummy so I like to rub it in the face when I flip town.
ronnieroo
ronnieroo
Townie
ronnieroo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:44 am

Post by ronnieroo »

On other sites I've played many games, on this site I've only played one other game.

I personally enjoy playing scum more. It's so much more fun to flip scum and have people go OMG! She was scum??? Besides that, for me, it's easier to make my posts not sound scummy if I'm scum. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it really is easier for me.

Rondom votes don't really get you anywhere (normally), but they start the game. Random votes seem to be unavoidable, especially in a noobie game. I agree with Chan on the FOS'ing thing. I don't like FOS's and very very rarley do I use them. As for L2, it's not really close to a lynch, but it's not far away. All it'd take is one townie and one mafia to jump on the lynch (or the other two pairs that chan suggested).
Tororingu-chan
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Tororingu-chan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:18 am

Post by Tororingu-chan »

@MiteyMouse:
It's hard to say how many games I've played exactly~ @_@;
A long time ago, I've played on another (now defunct) website, and several more on this one, but I often replace in so there are lots of half-games... >_<;; Not on this account though, since I obsessive-compulsively create new ones every now and then. ^_^;;

You can call me T-chan or whatever you like~

@Deathnote:
I like playing an NK-immune, investigation-immune, everything-immune scum-aligned cultist copvig. Because I like being omnipotent of course~ Yeah~!!!

If you wanted a serious answer, town because I find scumhunting more enjoyable than trying to stay alive~ ^_^

Questions:

@Mafia_failure:
Mafia_failure wrote:I also find people who FoS suspicious unless they have two people to choose which in this case is what OMGLyncher did.
Did you or did you not find OMGLyncher's FoS's suspicious? o_O Why would it be less scummy if there are "two people to choose from"...? @_@;; I'm a little confused by your reasoning..... >_<

@OMGLyncher:
OMGLyncher wrote:The reason I chose to FoS rather than vote was because my suspicion was due to the early accusations of bandwagoning: voting for either party worsens the situation for the town...
How would voting for either party (by that I assume you meant DeathNote and me, right?) worsen the situation for town??
OMGLyncher wrote: ...and just drags me into the argument.
Do you think it's a good idea for you to stay out of arguments? ._.

@havingfitz:
havingfitz wrote:This is my 2nd game ever. Talked into trying Mafia by my son (who is somewhat obssessed by it).
What is your impression of your son's taste in games??? xD
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:36 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

MiteyMouse wrote:Tororingu-Chan...How many games have you played? Actually, I'd love it if everyone could answer that one for me please.
Er... 12-15 on mafiascum. Way too many to count IRL.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”