Newbie 855 (Game over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CthulhuDreams
CthulhuDreams
Goon
CthulhuDreams
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Post by CthulhuDreams »

Dude, summer is coming up. Daylight savings just started. What do you mean you live in the northern hemisphere? ;)
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what you heard is not what I meant"
YankCane151
YankCane151
Goon
YankCane151
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Post by YankCane151 »

Vote:Alduskkel

You vote Y for giving advice, then claim it wasn't random? Is giving advice a scum tell?
Go Yankees and Miami Hurricanes
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Way to misrepresent. Go reread the post where I gave my reason.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Post by Y »

CthulhuDreams wrote:I'm also keen to find out why Y is misrepresenting his actions to make Alduskkel look worse though - he put him at L-2 NOT L-1, and that is a pretty significant difference even if the 2 and the 1 is right next to each other.
I never claimed to be at L-1. I asked Alduskkel why he didn't unvote when he thought (Mistakenly) that I am at L-1.
The point isn't how many votes I really had, but how did Alduskkel react when he thought I'm about to be lynched.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Post by Socrates »

Y, real quick, how many people do you think are required to lynch? (Hint: it rhymes with bive.)
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Y, give me a post where I said that I thought you were at L-1. Hint: You can't give me one. The confusion was over whether you were at L-2 or L-3.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:29 am

Post by Y »

Sorry, thought we need four to lynch. My bad.
CthulhuDreams
CthulhuDreams
Goon
CthulhuDreams
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:56 am

Post by CthulhuDreams »

Yeah - hence questioning your motives in saying that you thought Alduskkel thought that he was putting you at L-1.

Which was an oversight that definitely contributed to the
Aura of Confusion
around the voting here.
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what you heard is not what I meant"
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:11 am

Post by Socrates »

Well, this is going nowhere fast.

For discussion purposes:

- Aldus, I know you said your vote was serious, but just how serious is it? Do you believe Y committed a real scumtell?

- What does everyone else feel about this?

To answer my own question I feel that being "helpful" is only a bad thing if it is used as a substitute to actual scumhunting, so I think it is a little too early to pursue such an angle. If Y keeps that up once the game starts in earnest, then we might have something.

- Cthulu, do you really think its possible that Y was lying about knowing whether a third vote would put him a L-1? I mean, its not like its something a scum can reasonably expect to trick the town with.

- Yankcane's vote on Aldus looks pretty bad as it is, I want him to get in here and defend his reasoning. His point is pretty off from what Aldus actually said, but he might have just failed to understand him.

So, for now,
UNVOTE, VOTE: YankCane151
because its better than a random vote.

Was it a misunderstanding or a deliberate misrep? inquiring minds want to know.
YankCane151
YankCane151
Goon
YankCane151
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:13 am

Post by YankCane151 »

Alduskkel wrote:By the way, my vote isn't random. I think Y is trying to get all the benefit of looking helpful without actually being helpful.
What, is there a sarcastic tone to this post? I do not get this at all, and Socrates, are you helping a scumbuddy there?
Go Yankees and Miami Hurricanes
VertFire
VertFire
Townie
VertFire
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Post by VertFire »

It sounds like Alduskkel is trying to take down Y early. But I myself haven't seen anything suspicious yet.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

I don't get how YankCane can quote the correct post and still not get it.

@Socrates: Yes, what Y did was scummy.

VertFire: I don't expect Y to get lynched over what I'm saying. I'm trying to increase discussion, and to do that there needs to be something to talk about, which in this case is Y.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Post by Y »

Actually, I believe Aldus is trying to create conversation, which is better than random voting.

@ Adus: I did repeat what you said, but I added content which I thought is important. It didn't just look like I'm helping, I really did.

@ Socrates: When a player helps people, they tend to trust him. Scum uses that to earn the trust of the town. The problem is that scum don't want to help the town, so they just make it look like they're helping. That's what Adus is saying.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:43 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Pretty weird that you called me Aldus the first time then called me Adus a bunch of times after that.[/offtopic]

Y: Why did you repeat what I said?
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Post by Socrates »

Y wrote:@ Socrates: When a player helps people, they tend to trust him. Scum uses that to earn the trust of the town. The problem is that scum don't want to help the town, so they just make it look like they're helping. That's what Adus is saying.
I understand the argument, (its YankCane that doesn't) I was asking people whether they consider it significant enough to actually pursue at this time, especially since the incident he cites happened in the pregame. Yes, scum want to appear helpful and trustworthy to the town, but a townie IC wants to
actually
be helpful, and so I don't think scum IC are significantly more likely to throw around lots of advice than a town IC.

If the advice is consistantly pointless filler over a long time period or the IC has been avoiding actual scumhunting and analysis instead just commenting on theory and whatnot, then that is awfully scummy and the player should be voted, but it is far too early to say that you are doing that and as such I won't be voting you yet.

If your and Aldus's positions were switched, would you vote him?

@YankCane: Was Y's explanation enough for you to understand why Aldus voted him?
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by foilist13 »

Y's mistake was not a scum tell. There is no advantage for scum to mislead the town into thinking it requires fewer votes to lynch, ergo a scum player would not have done it intentionally. A town player is equally likely to make that mistake as a scum player, and it does not advance the game either way. You are voting from the standpoint that mistakes are scum tells, but they are not.
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

foil, no one's voting for Y because of that.
CthulhuDreams
CthulhuDreams
Goon
CthulhuDreams
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Post by CthulhuDreams »

My current thinking: Y vs Alduskkel has been a pretty fast and furious start to the game, and there have been decently sized mistake on both sides (wrong number of votes vs wrong lynch threshhold) by the players on both sides - especially considering that they are also the more experienced players.

FOS: Random accusations by YankCane that make no sense at all.

@Foilist13: What was the reasoning behind the 'random' vote on Alduskkel after the (reasonably serious) accusations on both Alduskkel & Y for making scumtells? Seems like an attempt to provoke a bandwagon imho, but I'm keen to hear your reasoning behind it before I move my vote.

To me its especially bad if you thought Y and Alduskell where making mistakes, not scumtells because it injects more confusion into the debate.

@Ventfire:
It sounds like Alduskkel is trying to take down Y early. But I myself haven't seen anything suspicious yet.
Trying to get someone take down fast on day 1 is a really suspicious move - so do you think Alduskkel is being suspicious or not?

I'd like purple princess to delurk.
CthulhuDreams
CthulhuDreams
Goon
CthulhuDreams
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by CthulhuDreams »

EBWOP: I just noticed that I hadn't answered Socrates question - No, I don't really think the mistakes are a scumtell, but I do think it is possible that the mistakes were made in the execution and defence against scummy moves. So as Y is in no danger of being lynched, I'm not moving my vote until we get something out of foilist, ventire and purple princess.
VertFire
VertFire
Townie
VertFire
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Post by VertFire »

Well to me it looked like he wanted us to all follow his lead and vote for him, but it seems everyone is starting to calm down and think with their heads now.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Post by Y »

I wouldn't vote in this case. The ICs are supposed to answer those questions.

Just to be noted: I'm not accusing Aldus with anything and I actually do understand his point.
That said, in this case that point doesn't apply, since I did add extra content.

About the vote mistakes: There's nothing there. Aldus counted bolded votes without checking the voters' names, so he missed the fact that one is a re-vote.
I just didn't do the math. Once I realized it, I corrected myself.

It seems like there's a lot of confusion around here. It might be a good idea for everybody to re-read the thread. It isn't too long.
Zhero
Zhero
Goon
Zhero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:09 am

Post by Zhero »

I don't see what Y did to be a scumtell... even if he hadn't extrapolated with more information, posting to look helpful without actually saying anything isn't much of a tell in the pregame since there's nothing to coast through yet.

I think voting someone to what you think is L-2 this early on is suspicious, but helps generate conversation and move us past the random votes.

Other than that, I agree with Y that some people seem to be confused as to what's going on.
-Zhero
CthulhuDreams
CthulhuDreams
Goon
CthulhuDreams
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:46 am

Post by CthulhuDreams »

To be honest, I feel most of the confusion was with Y and Alduskkel making mistakes. Everyone else's moves have to be seen in context - which still leaves YankCane and Foilist looking a bit dicey.
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:20 am

Post by foilist13 »

I'm fine with dicey. I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the thread carefully at all on day 3 of a newbie game when we are BARELY out of RVS. If you think I continue to act scummy then we'll see, but for now I don't feel like I'm any more or less pro-town than anyone else.
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 am

Post by purple princess »

Imo I don't see Y's comments to be a scumtell, I believe that it was confusion on both parts, which just kind of snowballed.
I think this has been blown out of all proportion, but I think it has been helpful to come out of RVS with something to talk about, instead of people being queit and waiting for things to happen.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”