ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Tarballs wrote:By the way, I believe we should keep the discussion in minimum, as discussion helps the uninformed people (in this case the assassin) the most. That's what I've understood anyway.
WaitwhatWHAT? We shouldn't discuss anything...?!

Unvote Deux, Vote Tarballs
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:17 am

Post by Crazy »

ZazieR wrote:
Crazy wrote:
Vote: Zazie

Got a hunch.
Which is based upon?
Again the OMGUS?
No.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 am

Post by Kdub »

ElectricBadger wrote:
Tarballs wrote:By the way, I believe we should keep the discussion in minimum, as discussion helps the uninformed people (in this case the assassin) the most. That's what I've understood anyway.
WaitwhatWHAT? We shouldn't discuss anything...?!
Tarballs is right. Of course, we have to have discussion to some extent, but this is not a normal game where the town is the uninformed majority and benefits the most from discussion. Since the assassin is the uninformed one here, discussion is more likely to help them figure out what is going on. Theory posts generally should be OK, but speculation and detailed reasoning probably isn't such a good idea.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Tarballs
Tarballs
Goon
Tarballs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 am

Post by Tarballs »

ZazieR wrote:Let me tell you, that doesn't change a thing about the hypocricy.
Hypocrisy is still just as good of a reason for a randomvote as, say, omgusing.
ElectricBadger wrote:WaitwhatWHAT? We shouldn't discuss anything...?!
That's not quite what I meant. But maybe the 'Breaking Strategy' section of this article explains a bit.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Hmmm...so what would you suggest for strategy?
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 am

Post by Crazy »

An AITP game has never been won on this site by playing with no information, as far as I know.

Note how MCD was pegged as the assassin in this game without having to reveal the identity of the King:

http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Of course, some information will help the assassin, which is why some cases should remain silent.
ZazieR
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 am

Post by ZazieR »

Deuxieme Octopus wrote:Also,
vote: ZazieR
for not condensing all that into one post.
Policy vote or 'random' vote?
Also, get used to it.
Ignore the ''R''
ZazieR
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 am

Post by ZazieR »

Crazy wrote:
ZazieR wrote:
Crazy wrote:

Got a hunch.
Which is based upon?
Again the OMGUS?
No.
Seeing two questions, but only one answer.
Will you answer the second one as well?
Ignore the ''R''
ZazieR
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 am

Post by ZazieR »

Tarballs wrote:
ZazieR wrote:Let me tell you, that doesn't change a thing about the hypocricy.
Hypocrisy is still just as good of a reason for a randomvote as, say, omgusing.
ElectricBadger wrote:WaitwhatWHAT? We shouldn't discuss anything...?!
That's not quite what I meant. But maybe the 'Breaking Strategy' section of this article explains a bit.
Your vote was a random vote?
Also, if you're suggesting that breaking strategy, then why aren't you following it?
Ignore the ''R''
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 am

Post by Crazy »

ZazieR wrote:
Crazy wrote:
ZazieR wrote:
Crazy wrote:

Got a hunch.
Which is based upon?
Again the OMGUS?
No.
Seeing two questions, but only one answer.
Will you answer the second one as well?
First question: Not telling, for obvious reasons.
Second question: No.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 am

Post by Crazy »

Actually, I'm having a bit of a second thought about Zazie after rereading.
Deux wrote:It wasn't serious suspicion at all. Seriously, it was like post 23 of the game, how could I possibly have any real suspicions yet. Just responding to what had been said with another random vote. The reason I voted Badger and only FoS'ed DeathNote was that Badger voted you for but DeathNote only agreed without taking action.
Umm, can you show me, please, any time before when someone (preferably you) "random-FoSed?"
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:56 am

Post by Lynx The Antithesis »

Kdub wrote:
Vote: Deuxieme Octopus

Call it a hunch, but his last post gives me a bad feeling about him.
Is there anything else besides a hunch that influenced this vote?
Zazier wrote:Regarding Post 18, the personal attacks are noted.

Deux and I are friends. I caught him as scum with an investigation last game and I was just throwing around some friendly, non-serious trash talk.
Zazier wrote:Wouldn't we out the king if we don't mention him?
This is actually true. We actually have to fool the assassin by not acting differently towards any player. The king should be pressed just as easily as anyone else. I'm not used to this for a town-sided alignment. Used to scum being the informed ones.
Zazier wrote:Secondly, as I stated, if DN would have shown that tell, I would have pointed it out. What don't you understand about it
Correct my interpretation if I'm wrong, but did you not say that Deathnote made a tell that indicated his alignment. You said you would reveal said tell if it was shown. But wouldn't it already be revealed if it were to be shown? I'm just not quite getting it completely.
Isn't discussion the only way to correctly pinpoint the assassin? Or do you think eventually we'd hit him before we gave anything away about the king?
Crazy wrote:Vote: Zazie

Got a hunch.
Do you feel people shouldn't have to explain their votes?
DO wrote:It wasn't serious suspicion at all. Seriously, it was like post 23 of the game, how could I possibly have any real suspicions yet. Just responding to what had been said with another random vote. The reason I voted Badger and only FoS'ed DeathNote was that Badger voted you for but DeatNote only agreed without taking action.
You say it's not serious, but your justification appears to contradict that classification.
DO wrote:Also, vote: ZazieR for not condensing all that into one post.
Why another random vote at this stage? I think we've exited the random stage.
Vote:Deuxieme Octopus

Crazy wrote:Of course, some information will help the assassin, which is why some cases should remain silent

Wouldn't this allow the assassin to follow the same formula and not have to back up his votes? This would make him even more difficult to find I feel.
Crazy wrote:Umm, can you show me, please, any time before when someone (preferably you) "random-FoSed?"
I've definitely seen individuals random FOS. But, I certainly find his explanation to be on a more serious than he describes it to be. And it's especially odd that he resorts back to another random vote on Zazzier.
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
Deuxieme Octopus
Deuxieme Octopus
Goon
Deuxieme Octopus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 am

Post by Deuxieme Octopus »

Lynx wrote: I think we've exited the random stage.
I just want a bandwagon on ZazieR
Vaya
Vaya
Goon
Vaya
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:56 am

Post by Vaya »

I actually really agree with this. I've played only one game of AitP before, but there, I brought up this idea and got the town to go along with it. Town sort of screwed up that game in that we all mistakenly labeled the assassin as obvguard in our minds, allowing her to make it to a 3-man endgame before being lynched. But even then, town still ended up wining because the assassin had little idea which of the two the king was.

So basically, my point is that Tarball's idea has worked well for me in the past, so I would like to have less discussion than normal, and to keep days shorter overall.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote: Isn't discussion the only way to correctly pinpoint the assassin? Or do you think eventually we'd hit him before we gave anything away about the king?
Look at it this way, the town's number one priority here is not to find the assassin, but to keep the king hidden from him. Its not that we would have absolutely no discussion, but its possible to narrow down who the assassin may or may not be with minimal discussion.

Its better to take multiple shots at the assassin with little info behind them, then to have a lot of discussion like a normal game of mafia, throw around suspicion and wagon a few people here and there, and settle on a lynch and nail the assassin first thing. He would be able to tell who the town was not seriously considering to lynch and be able to take a good shot at the king that way.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote: Do you feel people shouldn't have to explain their votes?
I feel they don't always need to, especially in this setup, and I really don't like your repeated fishing for explanations. I don't know if your doing this because you really feel lots of discussion is really pro-town, or because your the assassin feeling for if anyone's busing the king, but either way, I really want you dead right now.

Vote: Lynx
Vaya
Vaya
Goon
Vaya
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:57 am

Post by Vaya »

Deuxieme Octopus wrote:
Lynx wrote: I think we've exited the random stage.
I just want a bandwagon on ZazieR
I'd prefer a wagon and lynch on Lynx.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 am

Post by Crazy »

Lynx wrote:Do you feel people shouldn't have to explain their votes?
In some cases, no, they shouldn't have to. In that game I quoted, Korlash (a guard) made a subtle breadcrumb that revealed that he knew who the King (PokerFace) was, but then MCD (assassin) voted for Korlash, which lead to an eventual wagon on MCD Day 2.

The people who found MCD suspicious could not tell a reason they found him suspicious, but obviously lynching him was still a good idea.
Lynx wrote:Wouldn't this allow the assassin to follow the same formula and not have to back up his votes? This would make him even more difficult to find I feel.
If an assassin votes someone without giving a reason, then he's just bluffing. And that should be easier to root out than an honest vote from a guard/the king.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 am

Post by Crazy »

Hmm, I didn't see those last 3 posts earlier.

Deux, please answer my question or I will vote you.

@Vaya - Lynx just seems to have some sort of ignorance of the setup as of now. I don't find that particularly scummy. It seems to me like you're trying to flush someone out on a null-tell.

Can I get a link to the game you were referring to?
Vaya
Vaya
Goon
Vaya
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:55 am

Post by Vaya »

Crazy wrote:@Vaya - Lynx just seems to have some sort of ignorance of the setup as of now. I don't find that particularly scummy. It seems to me like you're trying to flush someone out on a null-tell.

Can I get a link to the game you were referring to?
I acknowledged that his play here may simply be the result of his ignorance to the setup, but at the same time, he could still very easily be the assassin fishing for info. I'm not calling for his lynch though because I feel he's definitely the assassin, but because whether he is or not, I feel his play right now is somewhat of a detriment to the town. However though, I'll admit I did feel that my calling for his lynch was a bit premature after I posted that. I should give him a chance to see if he'll quit pressing people for info like he was in his last post.

The game I was referring to was played in that fallout shelter that was set up for the move. Here's the link.
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Vaya wrote:Look at it this way, the town's number one priority here is not to find the assassin, but to keep the king hidden from him. Its not that we would have absolutely no discussion, but its possible to narrow down who the assassin may or may not be with minimal discussion.

Its better to take multiple shots at the assassin with little info behind them, then to have a lot of discussion like a normal game of mafia, throw around suspicion and wagon a few people here and there, and settle on a lynch and nail the assassin first thing. He would be able to tell who the town was not seriously considering to lynch and be able to take a good shot at the king that way.
How can finding the assassin be that much less important than keeping the king hidden? With each lynch the assassin suriving it only betters his chances of landing his suicide kill. Of course, it is extemely necessary to keep the king guarded, but I think everyone realizes this already.

How do you take multiple shots at someone with little info behind them? How can you organize a lynch without an element of convincing others that you case has some merit behind it? If we all just vote people and call it gut, I don't see how we could possibly progress very far. All of the attacks and cases exhibited by the guards and king are subject to the same WIFOM to the assassin as normally the town would face, no? We are the ones who have the information this game, not scum.
Vaya wrote:feel they don't always need to, especially in this setup, and I really don't like your repeated fishing for explanations. I don't know if your doing this because you really feel lots of discussion is really pro-town, or because your the assassin feeling for if anyone's busing the king, but either way, I really want you dead right now.
In most normal games I think you should be expected to fully explain your rationale behind a vote. However, I can certainly see times that would warrant discretion in this setup. You've clearly explained what you've found scummy with me. Doesn't that go against your suggested strategy for this style game?
Crazy wrote:If an assassin votes someone without giving a reason, then he's just bluffing. And that should be easier to root out than an honest vote from a guard/the king.
Our votes shouldn't always be honest though either. Especially when we press the king.

And yes I understand that it may appear that I'm expressing a slight ping of ignorance on this setup. But I feel most of my points here are largely differences in theory about the most effective manner of going about the game here.
Deux wrote:I just want a bandwagon on ZazieR
Is this vote random as well?
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm

Post by Crazy »

Okay, Vaya, so at least your opinions match your meta. Meh.
Lynx wrote:Our votes shouldn't always be honest though either. Especially when we press the king.
I still wouldn't expect any guard to attack a non-King with a crap case just to bluff it. It seems rather silly, because it doesn't mask the King; it just makes you look like scum. So I'd totally lynch someone that did that.
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Crazy wrote:Okay, Vaya, so at least your opinions match your meta. Meh.
Lynx wrote:Our votes shouldn't always be honest though either. Especially when we press the king.
I still wouldn't expect any guard to attack a non-King with a crap case just to bluff it. It seems rather silly, because it doesn't mask the King; it just makes you look like scum. So I'd totally lynch someone that did that.
Oh of course, but I was just stating there is a certain element of bluffing on the town's part as well. We always look for the sincerity behind someone's case in every game. This is evident in every game. I just don't see how we can manage this without some level of explanation regarding their vote. Also, town players are quite capable of making crappy cases. Does that make them more inclined to be scum for you only in this style of game?
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
Vaya
Vaya
Goon
Vaya
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by Vaya »

Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How can finding the assassin be that much less important than keeping the king hidden? With each lynch the assassin suriving it only betters his chances of landing his suicide kill. Of course, it is extemely necessary to keep the king guarded, but I think everyone realizes this already.
Its simple really, if the assassin figures our who our king is, we lose, period, no matter how many other people are alive. If we have to spend, say, three lynches before we nail the assassin, but he still doesn't know who the king is, we're better off.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How do you take multiple shots at someone with little info behind them?
Perhaps I wasn't clear by what I meant here. What I'm saying is that its better to spend multiple lynches on people without taking tons of time to deeply discuss whether or not each person is really the assassin and whether or not we should lynch each of them.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How can you organize a lynch without an element of convincing others that you case has some merit behind it? If we all just vote people and call it gut, I don't see how we could possibly progress very far.
I'm not saying by any means that we should never explain ourselves at all. I'm really referring to the sort of situation that Crazy mentioned earlier, in which case, other guards should be able to see the case without you having to spell it out for them.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote: In most normal games I think you should be expected to fully explain your rationale behind a vote. However, I can certainly see times that would warrant discretion in this setup. You've clearly explained what you've found scummy with me. Doesn't that go against your suggested strategy for this style game?
Sometimes explanations are bad. In this case, my problem with you has only to do with your play and not with interactions with the king, so I have no problem explaining myself.
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Responses in bold
Vaya wrote:
Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How can finding the assassin be that much less important than keeping the king hidden? With each lynch the assassin suriving it only betters his chances of landing his suicide kill. Of course, it is extemely necessary to keep the king guarded, but I think everyone realizes this already.
Its simple really, if the assassin figures our who our king is, we lose, period, no matter how many other people are alive. If we have to spend, say, three lynches before we nail the assassin, but he still doesn't know who the king is, we're better off.

Yeah, I agree with this
Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How do you take multiple shots at someone with little info behind them?
Perhaps I wasn't clear by what I meant here. What I'm saying is that its better to spend multiple lynches on people without taking tons of time to deeply discuss whether or not each person is really the assassin and whether or not we should lynch each of them.

So, essentially, your view is that more discussion is detrimental to the town, correct?

Lynx The Antithesis wrote:How can you organize a lynch without an element of convincing others that you case has some merit behind it? If we all just vote people and call it gut, I don't see how we could possibly progress very far.
I'm not saying by any means that we should never explain ourselves at all. I'm really referring to the sort of situation that Crazy mentioned earlier, in which case, other guards should be able to see the case without you having to spell it out for them.

I think you're are overestimating how well each player would respond to a vote from somebody. Guards don't know other guards so I think most will would approach with a degree of skepticism. Basically, I don't see how a lynch would be organized when you simply expect others to see your case. Again, I don't think everyone is necessarily so perceptive.
Lynx The Antithesis wrote: In most normal games I think you should be expected to fully explain your rationale behind a vote. However, I can certainly see times that would warrant discretion in this setup. You've clearly explained what you've found scummy with me. Doesn't that go against your suggested strategy for this style game?
Sometimes explanations are bad. In this case, my problem with you has only to do with your play and not with interactions with the king, so I have no problem explaining myself.

Your problem with me is my inquisitive nature regarding other people's voting. I just don't see how laying down a vote prefacing it with "I have a hunch" or "on gut" should just be let to go by. If everyone was given a pass for this standard, we would get no where. Only the one's bold enough to press through it would be subject to any real scrutiny while others who follow this trend would just float by.
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Post by ElectricBadger »

Vaya wrote:I acknowledged that his play here may simply be the result of his ignorance to the setup, but at the same time, he could still very easily be the assassin fishing for info. I'm not calling for his lynch though because I feel he's definitely the assassin, but because whether he is or not, I feel his play right now is somewhat of a detriment to the town. However though, I'll admit I did feel that my calling for his lynch was a bit premature after I posted that. I should give him a chance to see if he'll quit pressing people for info like he was in his last post.
Not liking any of this, personally. We shouldn't talk much, presents a case against Lynx, when confronted backs away from it with the feeble excuse that we need to have more discussion before we do it. Lurker assassin has tested the waters before coming forward to feel out a lynch?

Unvote Tarballs, Vote Vaya

And the same question to you as I'm waiting for from Tarballs: if we don't discuss things, what mechanic do we use to vote, and how do we avoid the assassin influencing that without obviously avoiding a quick lynch against the king?

As I see it, the only one who wouldn't want to make a solid case for a lynch is the assassin, who has to worry he'll tip his hand by making a concerted attempt against the king.
Vaya
Vaya
Goon
Vaya
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Post by Vaya »

ElectricBadger wrote: Not liking any of this, personally. We shouldn't talk much, presents a case against Lynx, when confronted backs away from it with the feeble excuse that we need to have more discussion before we do it. Lurker assassin has tested the waters before coming forward to feel out a lynch?
I already explained why we shouldn't talk too much, you can disagree, but you can't say my motivations are purely anti-town. I never backed off my case, I only said that calling for an immediate quick lynch was premature of me. And I'm a lurker because I didn't post for one day? I'm fairly active now.
ElectricBadger wrote:And the same question to you as I'm waiting for from Tarballs: if we don't discuss things, what mechanic do we use to vote, and how do we avoid the assassin influencing that without obviously avoiding a quick lynch against the king?
What I've been suggesting here is that we make quicklynches based on a minimal amount of info. Basically, like the "breaking strategy" referred to in the wiki, but with slightly more informed lynches.
ElectricBadger wrote: As I see it, the only one who wouldn't want to make a solid case for a lynch is the assassin, who has to worry he'll tip his hand by making a concerted attempt against the king.
Entirely wrong. If the assassin pushes a solid case against someone, and the town is reluctant to follow it, he's probably just found the king and that would be great for him, regardless of whether he's lynched for it or not.

On the other hand, town would be reluctant to push cases when they involve interactions with other players or otherwise may hint towards who the king is. Remember, the town here is who really doesn't want to tip their hand, not so much the scum.

Return to “Completed Open Games”