Newbie 865 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Post by Canada »

Tracker: Town. I was always taught that a random vote causes the person voted to at least question the vote - this was, of course, in a 48 hour day period, so I don't know how it works in a 20 day period.

The only time I'd think a nolynch would be better than a lynch is if the lynch put us in a situation where the mafia can nk (if you get the lynch wrong) and win. I believe this is called lylo, but I've not used the term anywhere but on IRC. Pretty sure you already know this, but I'm bored, so I'm going to elaborate with an example. 4 players, three townies, one scum. You lynch a townie, mafia nails a townie, 1v1. Can't get majority, night kill, win (although it's normally ended at this stage).

Also, I'm bored, mind if I answer them all? :/.

I tend to lurk and make a big-ish post every so often. I normally average one or two posts in a day (real day, not a mafia day :P!).

20 days? Damn, longer discussion time than I've ever played before.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Post by Canada »

I don't like you anymore :(. You made me lose the game.

[quote=imkingdavid]Like I said above, I think it's best for each person to answer questions directed at them before other people answer those questions. But after that, I guess you're welcome to give your opinion as well.
[/quote]

Alright, I'll see if I'm bored/compelled enough to answer them later.

[quote=imkingdavid]It's good to be enthusiastic and active, but just so you realize, some games may go more slowly than others, so two posts a day is welcome to keep things running. But just don't expect everyone else to post that often either. The reason for the 20 day deadline is because people sometimes cannot post every day or even every other day. [/quote]

Yeah, makes sense, I'll keep that in mind. Couldn't think of anything else to say, so I'll type this to make it look like it's longer.

[quote=imkingdavid]You'll get used to it. And that can be cut short if we come to a decision on a lynch before that. While it's best to stretch discussion out as long as we can, it doesn't always last up to deadline. Deadline is just there in case we do take a long time to come to a decision.
[/quote]

Alright, I'll keep that in mind as well. Refer to above :o.

[quote=imkingdavid](although if discussion is still going strong, the mod may opt to add even another week).[/quote]

Really? A month long day... That doesn't sound odd to anyone else? ^.^. Go to school "Only 160 hours left 'till the day ends!" "What?"

Also, a quick question. Does the preview button also show the latest posts on the thread (including ones posted after you started typing?)

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Post by Canada »

What? Nuuuu.

Failed quotes :(.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Post by Canada »

Alright, feeling better. Anyone got an explanation on V/LA?

I've gotta go now, but I'll re-read tomorrow and hopefully have some insight into the game.

* Note to self - Re-read Newbie 865.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (isolation #4) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Post by Canada »

Tracker, thanks.

You're asking what IMO stands for? In My (Humble) Opinion. Humble is sometimes added.

Hopefully will get time to post again today, but my mom is being a "w"itch.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (isolation #5) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:46 pm

Post by Canada »

Bah, is there any particular reason only a few of my quotes are working? Like, two of Gayle's quotes work, but the rest don't (and they're all formatted correctly). I have a rather large post ready, but the quotes are all messed up.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (isolation #6) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 am

Post by Canada »

Alright, figured out my problem! Gotta go in ten minutes, so I'll read over RPG's post tonight, and add anything to the current post, before posting it. Freaking Word. :(.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (isolation #7) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by Canada »

IKD, you ninja'd me on the explanation :<. Anyways, I re-read the thread and made up a word document file of replies to the things I though6 warranted an answer right now, so if the formatting is screwed up by Word, please let me know :). This is like 3 1/3rd pages long in Word, by the way o.o. Also, these were written in order, as I read the post, so something may already have been answered/asked before.
tracker wrote:FYI: Sundays work best for me, might only do 1 or 2 posts a day on weekdays but sunday I'm normally on a lot. Saturdays vary.
Could this be giving himself an excuse to lurk more on the weekdays? Not saying it is for sure, but I think it’s a possibility, and as such, is worth thinking about.
gayle wrote:From the very beginning (and yes, we are still at the beginning), twilight has been questioning a lot of things. Too many things, in my opinion. I understand that the point of the game is to question things, but some of these questions were a stretch. His posts are thick with paranoia for this stage of the game. He could be trying a little too hard to appear town.
I somewhat agree with this. He does seem a little paranoid, but it’s hard not to be when you have some people trying to kill you off, is it not? It’s early in the game, almost no discussion is going on, and I think he was just trying to start some. That being said, I think Twilight makes a good point is his post:
rpg-twilight wrote:If it's scaring you that I ask questions, arent you the one who's paranoid?
Aren’t questions supposed to be asked at the start of the game, to start discussion? As I said earlier, I think he’s just trying to start discussion.
gayle wrote:He asks about the everyone's opinion on allowing a no lynch, but does not give his own until everyone else has given thiers. Then he goes out of his way to explain why a no lynch may be feasible.
This is a good point. I’d like to add that he explained it in detail. I touched it in my first post, with a small example, but he went insofar as to come up with two examples, one of which included three power roles,. He could be explaining it in depth so that the newbies in this game would understand, but isn’t that what the IC is for (not saying that others helping out is bad, or anything)?
gayle wrote:He establishes that he is scatterbrained and doesn't have the best memory. A good excuse for a mistake later in the game.
Thank god that the posts are all reviewable, eh?
gayle wrote:He questions twilight's use of the word agenda, as if he thought twilight was accusing him.
I re-read Twilight’s post, and (I) think it’s quite obvious that, a. he isn’t aiming it at anyone, and b. what the word agenda means. Could it be a means of making filler for the post, or of trying to make people thing Twilight is putting out some deeper meaning, and deflecting our attention to him?
IKD wrote: We need to be posting more often than we are (myself included).
I’ll be trying to post more too. Had some personal problems the last few days.
tracker wrote: So you mean it depends on their role/alignment? The word agenda just doesn't make sense to me here, is there some kind of hidden meaning there that I just don't understand?
He means townies and scum have different priorities. Scum will answer what they think makes them look the most like a townie, while a townie will answer truthfully (at least, I hope so).
tracker wrote: I would rather lynch scum that waste my days policy lynching lurkers.
So would I, but the problem is knowing who the scum are. If you have no idea who the scum are, would you rather risk hitting a townie power role of some sort, or a lurker, who, while also possibly being a power role, is not contributing much, if at all?
IKD wrote: Doctor/Healer; you get a small chance of protecting a person, but it only really works if you choose the same person that the mafia does on the same night. Which is pretty much just luck and good guessing. And you can't choose yourself. So yeah, worst role, imo, that I've been able to play so far.
[Offtopic] I think that doctors are overpowered in smaller games, but underpowered in larger games. Twenty player game with one doc? That’s a 1/19 shot at protecting someone! Whereas a four player game with a doc has a 1/3 chance of protecting someone – which means that you could potentially have a nokill night. [/Offtopic]
tracker wrote: just because I haven't chosen to announce my findings to the world doesn't mean I don't have any.
Pray tell.
tracker wrote: actually in the beginnings of the post but whatever. And I say that I'll do what I can to get the missing players back in the game.
And
tracker wrote: Gayle's to depressing questions, I'm trying to encourage more. not really twisting is it?
Can you clarify? I didn’t understand these.
tracker wrote:
RPG wrote: The only way we'll get past the "majority not finding scum" is if we start, oh I don't know, scumhunting.
Elucidate on this.
The only way we’ll get a majority of people who think someone is scum is to scumhunt? Sounds like you’re already acting a little "scatterbrained".
IKD wrote: what do you guys think about tracker's continuous questioning? Do you guys see it as him trying to spark discussion or just trying to make it look like he's participating?
It seems like a bit of both to me. The questions seem to be helping to start discussion, right now, but I agree he is asking a lot of questions, possibly TOO many questions to just be trying to spark discussion, and is instead, as you said, trying to look like he’s contributing, while throwing the attention to the answerers, not the questioner?
CommieX wrote: Disagree, at least in the context of this game, as the mafia knows who is with them and who is against them whereas the town doesn't. But it's subjective.
But the mafia have to try and make sure they don’t sound too scummy, lest they be lynched due to that, do they not?
tracker wrote: In this post(#29), RPG overexaggerates my case as to say I'll lynch anybody for any reason whatsoever, when this is not true, and I would rather lynch someone who's given off solid scum tells as I've already said.
I don’t believe that he was implying that – I think he was implying that you would use any excuse to get someone lynched (actually, I think that was stated, not implied).
Toon Fighter wrote: About the rest, the waters are still very muddy. Maybe tomorrow they'le be clearer
Seems like an excuse to lurk a bit more to me?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (isolation #8) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Post by Canada »

[quote="IKD']eh? [/quote]

You beat me to the explanation of what IMO is.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (isolation #9) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Post by Canada »

Fffff. I seriously just did that?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (isolation #10) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Post by Canada »

IKD wrote:So are you admitting to talking to your scum buddy this time around?
Nice catch, even if it's just an unintentional choice of words. Definitely worth looking into. Neo-con John made a good point as well - perhaps he accidentally narrowed down the people who are scum as well by stating he hadn't talked to the other scum yet?
tracker wrote:I have Canada - Gayle down.
What? Assuming you mean that you stopped at Gayle and I's posts?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (isolation #11) » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 am

Post by Canada »

CommieX wrote: In general, I really hate points like this. It's not like we can prove or disprove anything about anyone's personal life, so nothing can really come out of lines involving them.
I know that it's not like we can prove it, I just mean if he logs on a lot during the weekdays, but doesn't post.
CommieX wrote:Could you clarify where you stand on this, because you started out saying you somewhat agree with gale, but then write a paragraph defending twilight.
I'm sort of on both sides right now, because he did seem a little paranoid, but I also think RPG was just trying to start discussion.
tracker wrote:I mean I've been doing this in alphabetical order and I've analyazed everyone from Canada - Gayle.
K, makes sense.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (isolation #12) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Post by Canada »

Sorry for not posting guys, going to read over this again tonight and hopefully make a post while listening to Cuffs :3. I've been keeping up, just not posting.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (isolation #13) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Post by Canada »

Sorry about not posting yesterday, looking over it now. Anything specific you guys want me to comment on?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #143 (isolation #14) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Canada »

gayle wrote:Maybe i'm missing something but wouldn't the fact that RPG says he is playing completely different from his last game imply that he HAD talked to his scumbuddy rather than had not?
*facepaw*

Can't believe nobody realized that we took it completely backwards from the way it was meant.
gayle wrote:Canada seems awfully quick to jump on bandwagons, and only has a few posts with any substance. Though on the latter I can't speak too much as I am probably in the same position.
I was agreeing with people. Can you please explain to me how this is jumping on bandwagons? I don't understand :|.
NCJ wrote:(by his reputed partner in crime PE by the way).
Hmm? What do you mean by this?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (isolation #15) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by Canada »

Canada wrote:Hmm? What do you mean by this?
By this I mean why do you call PE his partner in crime?

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #160 (isolation #16) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Post by Canada »

I noticed that, in Tracker's last post (will be looking at his others closely after this), he seems to be summarizing the large chunks of text NCJ put out - is this not the same thing NCJ himself is doing, and this one of the points that is being pushed against him?

Right now, I'm thinking either Tracker or NCJ, although Gayle has a bit of a place on my list as well.

Reasons so far:

NCJ - Re-iterating things already said, basically most of the points already said here.

Tracker - Doing the almost the exact same thing as NCJ - summarizing what had happened already.

Gayle - Lurking, mostly, but I guess I'm guilty of this myself.

Going to read over Trackers other posts, see if the pattern repeats itself in said posts.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (isolation #17) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Post by Canada »

Ok - I just read over it, and it seems that it was a player analysis, not a case thing. My fault for not remembering that - it makes more sense now.

So remove tracker from my list. I don't think NCJ would warrant my vote quite yet, nor would Gayle.

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #201 (isolation #18) » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Post by Canada »

I'm still alive - I had not realized it had been so long since I posted. Sorry about that :/.

~Canada

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”