Newbie 865 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 865 - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 am

Post by Elmo »

Status
: Game over!
Deadline
: None.

The Living
(4)
  • Toon Fighter
    Vanilla Townie

• qax42
    (Replaced
    Hercule Poiro
    t on Day 3, who replaced
    Canada
    on Day 2),
    Cop

• Nicodemus
    (Replaced
    SirPent
    , who replaced
    CommieX
    on Day 2),
    Vanilla Townie

• tracker
    (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
The Dead
(5)
  • Neo-con John
    Mafia Goon
    , Lynched Day 1.
  • RPG*Twilight
    (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Killed Night 1.
  • Gayle
    Vanilla Townie
    , Lynched Day 2.
  • PaltryExcuse
    Vanilla Townie
    , Killed Night 2.
  • imkingdavid
    (IC),
    Mafia Goon
    , Lynched Day 3.
The Inexperience Challenged (IC) player is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
The Semi-experienced (SE) players have a level of experience somewhere between a newbie and an IC.
Last edited by Elmo on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 am

Post by Elmo »

General Rules
  • This is a game; have fun, or else!
  • If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message (PM).
  • Bandwagon to victory.
Flow of the Game
  • Everyone is randomly assigned their role, sent their role PM, and confirms they understand it. Mafia may talk before everyone has confirmed.
  • The game starts in daytime. Each day, you may vote to lynch someone with
    vote mith
    . You can
    unvote
    to vote for no-one; you don't need to do that to move your vote. If you want to end the day without lynching anyone,
    vote no lynch
    . To help me, please use
    bold text
    ->
    bold text
    for voting and unvoting; I'll count your vote if it's bolded and unambiguous.
  • I will regularly post a tally of who is voting who. If
    at any time
    a majority (more than half) of the players are voting for the same person, they will be lynched, and night will fall. Unvoting won't change anything.
  • Each day will have a deadline of 3 weeks. If deadline hits, the day will end with no lynch - learn to compromise, folks. Extensions of one week will only be given in extreme circumstances™, like multiple people needing to be replaced two days before deadline.
  • The time between the lynching vote and the lynch scene being posted is twilight. You can all talk about anything in twilight.
  • If I've posted your death scene, you're dead. Don't post anything until the game is finished.
  • At night, the mafia may talk to each other. Anyone with a night action needs to PM me their choice; vanilla townies twiddle their thumbs. If you do not send me a choice by the deadline, I'll choose randomly for you. Cops will not investigate someone they have previously investigated.
  • Night ends, and the next day dawns.
Gameplay
  • Attempts to game the system in some way will be met with nuclear weapons.
  • Unless you are night-talking with your mafia partner, do not discuss this game with
    anyone
    outside this thread!
  • You may not deliberately lurk, even if it would benefit you. Please try to post at least every 72 hours, and please inform me if you will be away for longer. If you don't, I will prod you; If you don't respond in-thread within 48 hours, I'll replace you.
  • My job is to make sure people haven't disappeared, nothing more.
  • Attack arguments, not people.
  • You may request a prod on anyone if they haven't posted for 48 hours.
  • I do not make mistakes. If you think I have, tell me - gently - and I will modify your reality accordingly.
  • To get my attention, say e.g.
    Mod
    :
    I like kittens!

• Do not discuss any correspondence from me; I will not comment on anything that isn't public.
  • Don't quote verbatim from your role PM; paraphrasing is okay. There's nothing to be gained here, but it's a very bad idea elsewhere.
  • If a replacement is still needed four days (or less) from deadline in LyLo, the deadline will change; the person with the most votes at deadline will be lynched.
  • If a game isn't finished, don't discuss it.
  • Don't post hidden (invisible, tiny, etc) text.
  • You are required to read your role PM.
  • If you have night actions, I encourage you to submit an action as soon as possible, on the understanding you may change it later.
  • A goon may submit the roleblocker's action on behalf of the roleblocker; this is not consistent across the site.
  • I will log any mafia actions in the mafia quicktopic. If a cop or doc is replaced, they will receive a log of their previous night actions.
  • The mafia quicktopic will be made public at the end of the game. Try and explain what you're doing, but don't write anything you're not comfortable being made public.
  • If I get two different night actions from the mafia, I will flip a coin and inform both of them.
Useful Links

The Setup

This game is running the F11 setup, which chooses randomly between these four variations:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies
Possible Role PMs - The Town
Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:You are a Vanilla Townie. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
You have no night action, but your voice and your vote are powerful tools.
You win when both mafia members are dead.
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are a Doctor. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
Each night, you may attempt to protect someone else from the mafia's kill attempt. If you are roleblocked, you will not be informed - your protection will silently fail.
Submit your night action to me by private message.
Cop Role PM wrote:You are a Cop. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
Each night, you may attempt to investigate someone; I will tell you for certain if they are a mafia member or not. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result".
Submit your night action to me by private message.
Possible Role PMs - The Mafia, Set A (Goon & Goon)
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Goon; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Goon. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
You may talk with your partner at night - I strongly suggest you use this quicktopic in case either of you are replaced.
Each night, your mafia group may attempt to kill someone.
Agree with your partner on your night action, and submit it to me by private message.
You win when at least half of the living players are mafia.
x2

Possible Role PMs - The Mafia, Set B (Goon & Roleblocker)
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Goon; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Roleblocker. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
You may talk with your partner at night - I strongly suggest you use this quicktopic in case either of you are replaced.
Each night, if your partner is alive, they may roleblock someone. If their target has a night action, it will not be performed.
Agree with your partner on your night actions, and submit them to me by private message.
Mafia Roleblocker Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Roleblocker; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Goon. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
Each night, if you are alive, you may roleblock someone. If they have a night action, it will not be performed.
Agree with your partner on your night actions, and submit them to me by private message.
The Bottom of Everyone's Role PM wrote:Please immediately reply to this PM with "confirm" or similar to tell me you understand your role and are ready to play. The game thread is here and will be unlocked when everyone is ready to start.
By the time you read this, Role PMs should be out. If you don't have one, PM me. We will begin when everyone has confirmed; if you don't confirm within 72 hours, you'll be replaced.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by Elmo »

Day 1 dawns!

The
deadline
is Wednesday 25th November, 22:00 UTC, which is 20 days, 21 hours and 45 minutes from this post. If deadline hits, there will be No Lynch.
With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

tracker
tracker
Goon
tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Post by tracker »

Hey Everyone, in my last game that I played instead of random voting, we asked questions instead, I would like to try that again as that in my opinion is a better way to start the game off than random voting, so,

Toon Fighter: How many games have you played? (Real and anywhere online)

Canada: Do you prefer to be town or scum?

CommieX: What is your favorite part about playing mafiascum?

PaltryExcuse: Do you think the presence of power roles distracts the town from scumhunting?

Neo-con John: What is your opinion on lurkers(ing)?

Gayle: Have you ever played real-life mafia and if so do you prefer that or online mafia better?

RPG*Twilight (SE): Do you think that different questions to everyone or the same question to everyone would be more beneficial?

imkingdavid (IC): As our IC, what are your concerns about this game?

And one final question for everyone: What is your view on No-Lynching? Is their ever a time where No-Lynching would be better than a lynch?
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Post by Canada »

Tracker: Town. I was always taught that a random vote causes the person voted to at least question the vote - this was, of course, in a 48 hour day period, so I don't know how it works in a 20 day period.

The only time I'd think a nolynch would be better than a lynch is if the lynch put us in a situation where the mafia can nk (if you get the lynch wrong) and win. I believe this is called lylo, but I've not used the term anywhere but on IRC. Pretty sure you already know this, but I'm bored, so I'm going to elaborate with an example. 4 players, three townies, one scum. You lynch a townie, mafia nails a townie, 1v1. Can't get majority, night kill, win (although it's normally ended at this stage).

Also, I'm bored, mind if I answer them all? :/.

I tend to lurk and make a big-ish post every so often. I normally average one or two posts in a day (real day, not a mafia day :P!).

20 days? Damn, longer discussion time than I've ever played before.

~Canada
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

Hey guys. Get ready to read; this post is long. I'll try to keep most of my posts short and to the point, but since this is the intro post, I'm trying to put in some info for the newer players.

I'm your IC for the game. As your IC, my role is to be helpful as much as I can for new players who are just learning the ropes of online mafia, or even mafia in general. However, I'm going to play this just like any other game, so don't expect me or the SE's to hold your hand.

I go by imkingdavid, david, kingdavid, ikd, or any variation thereof; just make sure it's clear that you're referring to me. But for the sake of staying sane, you can use abbreviations to refer to people; I will be doing so as well. Just try and don't be offensive or anything.

A few things to realize first: just because I'm IC, I'm not automatically the know-it-all. I can be wrong some times, and probably will be. I have, however, played my share of games (I think this will be my 8th here on this site), so I have a bit more experience in certain situations and know what does and doesn't work.
That being said, I also have my own opinion on how things should be done. That doesn't make it the correct or only way to do things. If you see a flaw in something I'm saying, point it out. I'll do the same for you.

I see that tracker has opted not to begin with RVS (the Random Voting Stage) which is something I agree with. I am not a huge supporter of RVS, as, to me, it just seems pointless. Although, I'm sure it does have its merit, as most newbie game do begin with it to sort of break the ice and get some discussion going.
But moving on, I can see we've already got some questions posed, which I think everyone should take some time and think about and then answer. By the way, please try not to give an answer to a question not directed to you unless the person to whom it is directed has already answered it. This prevents the person that is supposed to answer it from just stealing what you said if they like it without having to think for themselves.
I will answer the question(s) posed to me at the end of this post, and will post some of my own as well.

These next couple of paragraphs are really directed to the newer players, as those who have already played a game or two or have browsed a couple of games on the site will know what I'm talking about already. So if you already know this stuff, you can skip down a few paragraphs unless you feel like reading.

----------------------------------------------
Here are some common terms/abbreviations used in game:
  • WIFOM = "Wine In Front Of Me" - This comes from the movie/novel Princess Bride, during the "Battle of Wits" scene. Here's the basic idea:
    But that's just what he wants me to think, so I'll do the opposite. But maybe that's what he wants me to think, so I'll not do the opposite. But maybe that's what he wants me to think...
  • EBWOP = "Edit By Way Of Post" - If you will notice, there is no edit button on your posts except in the Mish Mash, General Discussion, and Mafia Discussion forums. That means that whatever you post is there forever. You cannot change it. So think before you hit submit. I'll explain the value of the "preview" button in a bit.
  • L-# = "Lynch - #" - Example: L-2. Basically, the # represents the number of votes needed before a lynch occurs. So a user at L-2 needs 2 more people to vote for him before he is lynched.
  • Bandwagon - a lot of votes against the same person in quick succession with little or no change in reasoning. This can be used by scum to initiate a quick lynch of a townie without scum having to hammer.
Those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head. If you see anyone use any others and need to know what they mean, either consult the wiki or ask.

I mentioned the preview button above. This is a handy tool for a couple of reasons. For one, it allows you to see your post exactly as it can be seen when you hit Submit. This way, you can see and fix any broken BBCode tags (such as quote or bold tags). Secondly, if you look under the message box that you enter your post into, there is a Topic Review box that lists the most recent posts. If you hit preview, this box updates, so not only can you look back at a post that you are trying to respond to, but also you can see any new posts made since you started your post. It's a good idea, especially after taking the time to type out a long post, to preview it just to make sure.

One thing you should all do if you haven't already is get an avatar (picture that appears under your name). Doing so makes it MUCH easier to quickly, at a glance, tell who posted what. Because colors and shapes are much easier to tell between than plain black text. Of course, this isn't required, so if you can't find something suitable, don't worry. You can always add or change your avatar later on if you find a better picture.

Finally, realize that by signing up for this game, you made a commitment to the game. If you for whatever reason cannot commit to this game, it's perfectly fine to ask the mod to be replaced out. You can always sign back up for another game later on when you are able to. However, it's not cool to just sign up and leave us hanging.
----------------------------------------------

Ok, so now to answer those questions.
imkingdavid (IC): As our IC, what are your concerns about this game?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean with "concerns". But to answer to the best of what I do understand, I am hoping that this game will provide a good learning environment for all of the participants and allow each of us to increase our own skill with the game.
And one final question for everyone: What is your view on No-Lynching? Is their ever a time where No-Lynching would be better than a lynch?
No-lynching, for those who don't know, is when the town as a whole decides not to lynch anyone that particular day. It can be achieved by voting for No Lynch (as opposed to voting a specific person). A lot of newer players come into the game with the belief that we should not lynch the first day, as the chances are in favor of lynching a pro-town role (7/9) as opposed to a pro-mafia role (2/9). While, yes, you are correct, you also need to realize that as a town, our only real weapon (besides any potential power roles) is our vote. So by not voting, we are giving the mafia a free pass. The only way we can win as a town is to lynch the mafia, and by not lynching, we hurt our chances of winning. Realize that all people who get lynched still win the game if their side wins (a lynched or night-killed pro-town player wins with the rest of the town, whereas a lynched mafia-aligned player can still win if his or her partner survives to the end). On top of that, we can get some good insight based on who votes for whom and such. So, in my opinion, and based on my experience, it is not a good idea to no-lynch.

Now, for those of you who are new, please don't just copy what I said; actually think about it and if you have a differing opinion, you're welcome to share it. As a town, we need discussion. While it's not good to dwell on game theory, it can help us get started with the game.
Canada wrote:Also, I'm bored, mind if I answer them all? :/.
Like I said above, I think it's best for each person to answer questions directed at them before other people answer those questions. But after that, I guess you're welcome to give your opinion as well.
Canada wrote:I tend to lurk and make a big-ish post every so often. I normally average one or two posts in a day (real day, not a mafia day !).
It's good to be enthusiastic and active, but just so you realize, some games may go more slowly than others, so two posts a day is welcome to keep things running. But just don't expect everyone else to post that often either. The reason for the 20 day deadline is because people sometimes cannot post every day or even every other day.
Canada wrote:20 days? Damn, longer discussion time than I've ever played before.
You'll get used to it. And that can be cut short if we come to a decision on a lynch before that. While it's best to stretch discussion out as long as we can, it doesn't always last up to deadline. Deadline is just there in case we do take a long time to come to a decision (although if discussion is still going strong, the mod may opt to add even another week).

-------------

I know tracker already basically asked a similar question to Gayle, but I'll go ahead and post a more general version to everyone:
What is your experience in playing mafia (either online or offline)?

I'll answer this myself later when I get a chance, but at the moment I've got to go.

Cheers!
Naughty little fly, why does it cry? Caught in a web, Soon you'll be...
eaten!
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

EBWOP: I failed to mention the following above: Please read the mod's rules. Although all mods in newbie games essentially have the same rules, there can be some variations, and it's good to know what they are. For instance, Elmo will cause a no-lynch if deadline hits without a majority of votes on one person, whereas other mods will lynch the person with the most votes and such. All that to say, read the rules. :)
eaten!
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Post by Canada »

I don't like you anymore :(. You made me lose the game.

[quote=imkingdavid]Like I said above, I think it's best for each person to answer questions directed at them before other people answer those questions. But after that, I guess you're welcome to give your opinion as well.
[/quote]

Alright, I'll see if I'm bored/compelled enough to answer them later.

[quote=imkingdavid]It's good to be enthusiastic and active, but just so you realize, some games may go more slowly than others, so two posts a day is welcome to keep things running. But just don't expect everyone else to post that often either. The reason for the 20 day deadline is because people sometimes cannot post every day or even every other day. [/quote]

Yeah, makes sense, I'll keep that in mind. Couldn't think of anything else to say, so I'll type this to make it look like it's longer.

[quote=imkingdavid]You'll get used to it. And that can be cut short if we come to a decision on a lynch before that. While it's best to stretch discussion out as long as we can, it doesn't always last up to deadline. Deadline is just there in case we do take a long time to come to a decision.
[/quote]

Alright, I'll keep that in mind as well. Refer to above :o.

[quote=imkingdavid](although if discussion is still going strong, the mod may opt to add even another week).[/quote]

Really? A month long day... That doesn't sound odd to anyone else? ^.^. Go to school "Only 160 hours left 'till the day ends!" "What?"

Also, a quick question. Does the preview button also show the latest posts on the thread (including ones posted after you started typing?)

~Canada
Canada
Canada
Townie
Canada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Post by Canada »

What? Nuuuu.

Failed quotes :(.

~Canada
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Post by Gayle »

->Tracker
I've never played in real life. I'm not a very nice in person, so I don't have enough friends. I prefer forum mafia games as people actually tend to discuss things and you have more time to think.

Rule wise, games with no lynch are much more interesting. It does often result in sudden bandwagons when the deadline approaches though. But a bandwagon is better than a no lynch.
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Post by Gayle »

Canada wrote: Really? A month long day... That doesn't sound odd to anyone else? ^.^. Go to school "Only 160 hours left 'till the day ends!" "What?"
Yeah, I've never played a game with such long days.
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

Canada wrote:What? Nuuuu.

Failed quotes :(.

~Canada
You have to put the stuff after the = in quotation marks, so for instance (remove the *): [*quote="imkingdavid"][/quote]. or just [*quote][/quote] works too if you don't want to label it.
canada wrote:Really? A month long day... That doesn't sound odd to anyone else? ^.^. Go to school "Only 160 hours left 'till the day ends!" "What?"
It's really only if we desparately need it and the mod is feeling kind. In most cases, the day will be done before the deadline hits.
canada wrote:Also, a quick question. Does the preview button also show the latest posts on the thread (including ones posted after you started typing?)
Yes. It also shows you when your quote tags are messed up. :D lol.
but you have to hit preview again for it to update the "Topic Review" box under the message box area; it doesn't reload automatically.

The preview page is quite handy.
eaten!
RPG*Twilight
RPG*Twilight
Goon
RPG*Twilight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Post by RPG*Twilight »

First off, welcome everyone! I am one of the SE's here. Glad to be in the game. Kingdavid pretty much ran over everything, but let it be known you have another person to ask if need be.

On to the questions.

tracker wrote:
RPG*Twilight (SE): Do you think that different questions to everyone or the same question to everyone would be more beneficial?
Interesting question. I actually prefer to see the same question asked. So I do like the last question. As long as not everyone rehashes answers, that is. Having multiple questions for multiple participants is also good, however, to really get differing viewpoints on differing levels. So its kind of a moot question, if you ask me. Kinda washes each other out.

Pretty much, if you can make discussion in the first 24 hours, something is done right.
tracker wrote:And one final question for everyone: What is your view on No-Lynching? Is their ever a time where No-Lynching would be better than a lynch?
I dont support a no-lynch. It is just way too easy for scum this way. Situation: We agree to a no lynch, someone gets NK'ed... now what? We had no information as to why that person was NK'ed, because there was no discussion, no bussing, no bandwagons, no contradictions. All of that is important going into day 2. (and day 1 for that matter.)

Discussion in day 1 is the foundation to the rest of the game, it is imperative that discussion is had, or day 2 will become day 1, with one less townie. That is no bueno in my eyes.
canada wrote:I don't like you anymore, You made me lose the game.
What? Explain why you said this. It appears to be in jest, but it just sticks out wierdly in the rest of the post.
imkingdavid wrote:What is your experience in playing mafia (either online or offline)?
Well howdy kingdavid! Was going to give you a proper welcome, but decided to wait until I got to this question. It's good to be playing in a game with you again.

As for your question. I have played several games of mafia. This is my third on this site, and I have played several games with my clan both on our forums and IRL. So I do have some experience under my belt.
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

Hey, RPG. Good to see you again, too.
What? Explain why you said this. It appears to be in jest, but it just sticks out wierdly in the rest of the post.
I'll explain this one. My sig and avatar both reference "The Game". Do a google search on "lose the game" and it should tell you what you need to know. It has nothing to do with this game (mafia).

Anyway, like I said, I'll go ahead and answer my own question about experience in playing mafia:
I have, like I said, played quite a few games on this site. This will be my 8th, including the one other that I am currently in. I have also played numerous times offline. I enjoy both, although I sort of like the speed and actual human interaction of playing offline better. But this is still just as fun at times.

And since RPG answered the question directed at him, I'll give it a shot as well:
Do you think that different questions to everyone or the same question to everyone would be more beneficial?
I think that most of the questions you asked above should have been directed at everyone, although it's alright to get an individual's opinion on a certain subject. IMO, most game theory questions should be directed at everyone (with a few exceptions where necessary for the sake of discussion).
However, there are some questions (which will mostly appear later on in the game) that really only apply to one person, so it would be counter-productive to ask everyone.

Anyway, you won't be seeing very much activity from me this early in the morning normally, but since I had some homework to finish up, I decided to check back and see if anything had happened. But I would normally be asleep right now, so don't expect me at this hour in the future.
eaten!
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

EBWOP: btw, changed my avatar to avoid further confusion. cheers. good night.
eaten!
Toon Fighter
Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum
Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Post by Toon Fighter »

To tracker: I have played many IRL games, but online I am a newbie. This is my first game (altough I have modded a game :P). What about you? How many have you played?

And I would prefer to get a Lynch rather than a no-lynch. We ARE a bloodthirsty mob, afterall :P
~Toon fighter~
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:43 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Hey all! I agree with the idea that questions are much more productive in starting conversation than the RVS. Onto the questions asked:
tracker wrote:PaltryExcuse: Do you think the presence of power roles distracts the town from scumhunting?

The presence of power roles can easily aid the town, but dependence on them will kill the town unless the power roles get lucky / are able to analyze correctly. It can distract the town, but it really shouldn't. Looking at actions, searching for contradictions and lies, are two good ways for townies to look for scum.

No-Lynch on a Newbie Game's first day is a bad idea. We gain no new knowledge for voting patterns in late game (who led lynch of a townie / scum, who bandwagoned etc.). It is the town's only weapon and a main source of information. Later on it may be to the town's advantage to no-lynch, but that is completely circumstantial.
imkingdavid wrote:What is your experience in playing mafia (either online or offline)?
Online: I've played one game on this forum, and I am playing another (along with this).
Offline: Just with friends, however, it is very different due to the fact I know them so well.

This is a question for the more experienced players on the site, but anyone can answer it:
How do you feel meta plays a role in a newbie game?
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 am

Post by Gayle »

PaltryExcuse wrote: How do you feel
meta
plays a role in a
game?
...but if you're a newbie there is not enough information for meta...
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

For newbies, no, but in my only other game on this site the IC's meta was brought up.
Neo-con John
Neo-con John
Townie
Neo-con John
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 am

Post by Neo-con John »

Hello All

Played once before, really excited to play again. It was a random vote game I played on here and that setup led to a lot of quick deaths and rash decisions. I like the idea of asking questions as it seems like it will get everyone a bit more engaged. It just seems like a more sophisticated way to play which I would imagine is why the deadline is set for 20 days!
tracker wrote: Neo-con John: What is your opinion on lurkers(ing)?
I don't really see how someone could have a positive opinion on lurking, I definitely see it as bad behavior. The more people talk the better it is for the game and the less people talk the more likely we are to make a bad decision as a whole. I plan to talk... a lot, so count on seeing plenty of me.
tracker wrote: And one final question for everyone: What is your view on No-Lynching? Is their ever a time where No-Lynching would be better than a lynch?
I do not have any experience with a no-lynch so I can only follow the wisdom of my fellow players who seem to agree that a no-lynch actually only favors scum. The argument makes sense as even a bad lynch provides information on others motivations where as a no-lynch gives the town nothing.
CommieX
CommieX
Goon
CommieX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:37 am

Post by CommieX »

Hello. I'm CommieX. Yup.
tracker wrote:
Not sure I like this. Probably nothing to get exited about this early, but still noteworthy.
CommieX: What is your favorite part about playing mafiascum?
Not very experienced on MS, so I'll just answer for the game in general. To put it simply, it's a unique game in that it challenges my logical side and my creative side at the same time, as well as social skills. I guess I like the challenge of the game.
Hmm. Well I suppose that in a game that had reached the point where the town had to be extremely cautious or risk blowing the game, or in another special circumstance it would be acceptable. It's certainly not a good idea now, as a fully carried out lynch would obviously yield much more information than a no-lynch.

And now my question to you: Why did you choose this question in particular to ask to everyone?
IKD wrote:What is your experience in playing mafia (either online or offline)?
Offline, I've been playing mafia with friends for about two years now, and I'm actually hosting a session at my house tomorrow night. I did have another MS account a long time ago that I had one completed game on, but I've forgotten the name and pass, so I made a new account instead.
RPG*Twilight
RPG*Twilight
Goon
RPG*Twilight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:40 am

Post by RPG*Twilight »

Gayle wrote:
...but if you're a newbie there is not enough information for meta...
You did read the sentence before that, right? And to further answer the question, if you have one game, you have meta. Is it better to have more then one? Yes, of course. But one will suffice. And it looks like, if I remember right, that this is not everyone's first game.
gayle wrote: Rule wise, games with no lynch are much more interesting. It does often result in sudden bandwagons when the deadline approaches though. But a bandwagon is better than a no lynch.
This strikes me as odd. I think what his question is referring to is would a majority of you be willing to do a no-lynch. I dont see how there would be some for a no-lynch and THEN go do bandwagoning. It's really an all-or-nothing kind of deal, the no-lynch. It kind of seems like either A) you're indifferent about it. or B) You dont want to look like you support the no-lynch, but you do. I cant tell. But that seems to be a pretty ambiguous statement. Could you clarify? Especially when you say "A bandwagon is better than a no lynch." Because we're talking about the vote, not the bandwagon. It just seems a bit odd.
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:27 pm

Post by Gayle »

RPG*Twilight wrote: This strikes me as odd. I think what his question is referring to is would a majority of you be willing to do a no-lynch. I dont see how there would be some for a no-lynch and THEN go do bandwagoning. It's really an all-or-nothing kind of deal, the no-lynch. It kind of seems like either A) you're indifferent about it. or B) You dont want to look like you support the no-lynch, but you do. I cant tell. But that seems to be a pretty ambiguous statement. Could you clarify? Especially when you say "A bandwagon is better than a no lynch." Because we're talking about the vote, not the bandwagon. It just seems a bit odd.
...what?

I was saying that from the games i've seen with the no lynch rule, when the deadline approaches people tend to bandwagon to quickly get a lynch, and that, in my opinion, a deadline bandwagon is better than a no lynch.

I like games with the no lynch rule, because they are more interesting in my opinion. However, a no lynch should be avoided under all circumstances.

Understand now? Games with 'no lynch' rule = good. Allowing no lynch to occur = bad.
Neo-con John
Neo-con John
Townie
Neo-con John
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 pm

Post by Neo-con John »

I do not understand. What is it about games with a no lynch rule that makes them more interesting?
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

PaltryExcuse wrote:How do you feel meta plays a role in a newbie game?
I think that they are valid to a point, but also should be used with a grain of salt. Peoples' play style changes as they get more experienced, regardless of alignment. Plus, there is a bit of WIFOM involved in meta-ing, as a person could play a particular way on purpose to get you to think that they are one role when they're really another. But yeah, there's no harm in doing a bit of research and sharing what you find.
CommieX wrote:Hello. I'm CommieX. Yup.
tracker wrote:
Not sure I like this. Probably nothing to get exited about this early, but still noteworthy.
I sort of see where you're coming from, but it is a valid question, and actually is quite common in a lot of games around here.

-----

I think I understand what Gayle is saying in reference to the "no lynch" rule. He's saying that if the mod forces a no lynch if we hit deadline without a majority (as is the case with this game), it is interesting to see how people react as the deadline gets nearer with the threat of a no lynch if they don't lynch quickly.

---

Well, it looks like everyone has posted at least once since the game started. Great! Let's try and keep this level of activity going as much as possible so we can have some good discussions.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”