Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 am

Post by Papa Zito »

VP Baltar wrote:I'm not sure what "playing really tight" means. Can you explain what that means.
There's playing loose, and playing tight.
VP Baltar wrote:My problem is that you were making it out to be an actual serious wagon.
Jesus. Read plz. It was serious. I wanted that wagon. I pushed for it. I helped get it started. It was serious. Did you know it was serious? Yeah, it was serious. Hay VP, this just in - the SC wagon was serious. "How serious, PZ?" Why, pretty serious VP, that's how serious. Seriously serious. Serially seriously serious. I've typed serious so much it doesn't look like a word anymore.
VP Baltar wrote:Further, you acted like I was missing out on something by ignoring your points up to that point, and in reality I still don't see what I was missing. Attacking me over illegitimate reasons rings as scummy to me.
Announcing that you're ignoring someone is anti-town, end of. And yeah it's become blatantly obvious that you don't see what you're missing.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:05 am

Post by VP Baltar »

I don't see what I'm missing from your posts. Yes, you said it was a serious wagon, but ffs the question is
WHY
. Explain that referencing your posts at that time and I'll be satisfied. It's not complex.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 am

Post by Raskol »

I have to say I agree with PZ on this. Early bandwagon is 'serious business' in its own right, and I don't think I have good reason to believe that he was implying anything other than that with his comment.
Papa Zito wrote:SC tinged my radar with his gameplay shenanigans, so I picked him as my Day 1 bandwagon. Getting the town moving and starting up pressure on someone is indeed SRS BSNS.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 am

Post by Papa Zito »

VP Baltar wrote:I don't see what I'm missing from your posts. Yes, you said it was a serious wagon, but ffs the question is
WHY
. Explain that referencing your posts at that time and I'll be satisfied. It's not complex.
Why what? Why was it a serious wagon? I guess I'd have to ask what a funny wagon looked like.

I've seen a bunch of people here bitching about RVS. My actions in early game were precisely for that purpose - to help us get out of RVS. Troll doesn't like my opening and that's fine, but generally that's what I do, I find someone who does something a smidge off-color and I call down the wrath of Hell on them for it. Then I'm able to watch who joins, who doesn't, who picks sides, who stays on the sidelines, who calls me out for it, whatever. The difference this time is that I wasn't around to keep up the momentum.

Regardless though, starting a wagon on someone is
not
scummy or even anti-town, so your continual attack on this point is. Trying to railroad someone for playstyle is fail. Dig deeper.
Kappa
Just Monika
Scien
Scien
Goon
Scien
Goon
Goon

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:09 am

Post by Scien »

PapaZ wrote:9. Scien - Ditto ODDin question here.
Which question are you trying to ask me? The serious business stuff?

I caulked it up to making sure the wagon had pressure. If you thought you had a case, or if dropped the 'serious business' claim, I would have been highly critical.

However coming back you said your intentions were to bandwagon. Seems to me that you were just making pressure. So I buy your play for now.
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 am

Post by ODDin »

PZ wrote:ODDin - I don't like how ODDin quietly agreed with VP but didn't move his random vote on ekiM to a player that he apparently agreed as scummy. To me he's waiting to see if a bandwagon materializes.
Nice try, but no.

1) My vote on eKim wasn't random. I voted for him because I felt he was trying to keep the game in the RVS and silence Scien's arguments against AGar. I'm not saying it's a strong argument, but it sure isn't "ooh his name has 4 letters so he must be scum" random

2) My "case" on you was that you might be creating a future possibility for yourself to mark any votes and actions in the early game as either random or not, depending on need. At this point, it is pure speculation, making it a very weak argument. In my eyes - yes, even weaker than my argument for eKim.
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 am

Post by ODDin »

PZ wrote:Are you sure I'm the one that created that impression? I'd love to hear how.
I'll tell you how, I believe, the impression was created. You said your vote on SC was serious. However, you didn't explain why - which you should've, for that matter, as "why?" would've obviously been the immediate follow up question, as indeed it was. You not answering it in advance feels like an attempt at creating confusion and getting a chance to post more and thus appear more active (not only do you say X, but you also answer to "why X?" later - two posts at the price of one.)
Now, VP immediately assumed that the vote was serious - a pretty fair assumption to make. You say a vote is serious, people assume it means it's backed by a case of some sort.

Part of the problem was that you were V/LA, thus unable to correct the wrong impression more quickly. However, you really should've taken a moment to think before posting, and you'd have realised that when you say a vote is serious, you might as well answer what are the serious reasons behind it (the fact that somebody had asked you whether the vote was serious obviously means he didn't understand why you'd made it).
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 am

Post by ODDin »

So, in light of the above, but mostly because of blatantly false accusations (against myself, as it happens - but I'm willing to risk being accused of OMGUS here), I'm going to:

unvote, vote: PapaZito
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 am

Post by ODDin »

Oh, and hello there charlatan! :)
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Arg

I hate shit stirring for the sake of shit stirring. (you never NEED something to get you out of the RVS - ever had a game which stayed in the RVS for weeks because noone decided to do some stupid stunt?)

Loose vs tight playing is a poker term - playing with the best cards and rarely bluffing is playing tight, playing with a wider variety of hands and bluffing quite a lot is loose play. I imagine in mafia tight play means being careful with your votes, concentrating on obviously scummy things, where playing loose is throwing your vote around and pushing people all over the shop.

I like loose play and generally approve of it, but I'm not liking the double motivations here.
SC tinged my radar with his gameplay shenanigans, so I picked him as my Day 1 bandwagon.
10. SerialClergyman - People are attacking SC over playstyle nonsense and it's getting old. SC is townish at the moment.
And:
I assure you the SerialClergyman wagon is SRS BSNS.
Getting the town moving and starting up pressure on someone is indeed SRS BSNS.
It looks to me to like there's some historical revisionism going on.

VP - why make me do a case on Amished and then totally and completely ignore it? *slap*
I'm old now.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

SC wrote:VP - why make me do a case on Amished and then totally and completely ignore it? *slap*
I'm sorry. I did read it, but didn't have time (or the will) to give you an indepth, point-by-point response. I will address it though before I leave for vacation (ie, most likely tomorrow).

All of your effort shall not be for naught!
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm

No worries - don't need to go through it point by point either, general opinion when you get a chance is fine.
I'm old now.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Post by Raskol »

[quote="SerialClergyman"ever had a game which stayed in the RVS for weeks because noone decided to do some stupid stunt?)[/quote]

Actually, yeah.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Link?
I'm old now.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Post by Raskol »

SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Sif - you're well into content within a week.

But weird game - thanks for digging it up for me. :)
I'm old now.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Post by Amished »

@Sando: That's fine for him (SC) to eliminate his own suspects, but you don't have to ask him for it so you-scum knows who you don't have to buss if SC-town is wrong.

Also, you missed my point completely. If/when he votes for somebody, yes, I expect him to explain it. I don't expect him to come off with a "you're not in my town list" for the sole explanation as obviously there can't be the rest of the game in that list. Asking him reasoning for a vote is *far* from asking him for his town list.

@SC:

{switching reason for vote} Yes, I voted for you because it was there, and I wondered why there was a wagon being pushed for you. I looked and saw something that was slightly scummy (which was more than anything else in the game that I noticed). So it turned out that I had a better reason to vote you after a reread.

{keeping quiet about a tell} In case PZ was scum and just pushing for the sake of pushing (then wanted to give a better reason or whatever to keep it moving) I didn't want to give him a free reason to keep up the pressure if he didn't have anything on you.

Also, some people don't view your stance on claims to be scummy, and he (PZ) saw something else that he felt was scummy. Not everyone has the same "tells" or something that they look for. Obviously I miss stuff that scum do, and other times I think a townie is doing something scummy.

{"future rubbish argument"} What's the motivations of a post like that (future actions)? Regardless of your (SC) alignment, you pointed it out now so that if/when you do it later, you won't look as scummy for it. Right?
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
charlatan
charlatan
Goon
charlatan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by charlatan »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to try and dive right in (so this post will be large), but forgive me if I'm slow to get started. Even when I reread a few times the game never seems to really solidify in my head until I've been in the mix for a little bit.
Scien wrote: Who are you?
I never really know.
AGar wrote:I'm going to wait until ekiM's replacement before really doing much more, because that's where my first suspicion lies.
That's me. How can I help you?

Thoughts:

On the SC bandwagon: I am all for early game bandwagoning, and it seemed very likely that Zito was hoping to see an early bandwagon form on SC to watch who jumped on/stayed off, etc. My experience has been that this play works best when the one encouraging the bandwagon does
not
give good, solid reasons for wanting to do so, especially as doing so is likely impossible. I find the fact that Amished indicated "seeing what Vito was possibly on to" (paraphrased) to be slightly suspicious, as I doubted very much that Vito had anything up his sleeve. The supposition that SC might be setting up an opportunity to fish out an inappropriate claim down the road seems a stretch. Oddin's assertion that PZ did something to plant that idea seems pulled from the blue as well:
ODDin wrote:So yes, PZ, you pretty much lied - at any rate, you've created a very wrong impression.
ODDin: Can you explain to me how you figure he lied? That's a pretty strong accusation, and I honestly don't see where it's coming from. Creating a bandwagon in the early game is its own justification.

On the same topic, the ongoing VP/PZ clash is a bit of a mystery to me. Help me if I summarize poorly: Zito is claiming it's inappropriate for VP to dismiss "joking" behavior. VP is claiming that it's questionable for Zito to argue this when, in fact, Zito's reasoning for the bandwagon was pretty much null. If this is accurate, I agree with Zito, but I find neither of them to be more scummy for the whole argument. In fact, it feels vaguely personal. Is there an elephant in the room that I don't know about? Do you by chance have some prior annoyance with each other? I get that vibe a little, and I think it will help me get a better read as we go on if I know.

Sando pings my scumdar the most at the moment. Rasko's 144 is spot on, and only once he's pressed around there is when Sando says anything worthy of note. Before then, it's mostly excuses to not be participating (dismissing meta). This quote stood out:
Sando wrote:Amished constantly asking for reads from everyone gets on my nerves, and I personally find it quite scummy outside of newbie games.

Why is this scummy? Worthy of note is that Amished was not the only person inviting reads from other players (and even more interesting is that Rasko did it in the post immediately before.) In his early posts, Sando seems to be defending the right to participate at a minimal level.

Now Sando's on a growing bandwagon, and I do not get the sense that he's taking his accusers seriously. This bothers me, as the accusations are completely legitimate. If he truly does not understand where they are coming from, then we're looking at a communication breakdown, and in that case it would be in his best interest to try and understand so as to better resolve the situation. Instead, he seems to be dismissing these issues outright.

In general, I feel that, while this game is already very dense, there's very little to sink my teeth into. There's a lot of theory debate and playstyle discussion, and I'm finding it largely unhelpful. I am mostly looking for players who are not scumhunting or those who may be fabricating reasons to

Unvote: AGar

Vote: Sando
- [color=navy] charlatan[/color]
[color=maroon]every sermon is not the gospel[/color]
[color=navy]more or less done here; will maybe consider invites or replacing into your game if you're in a bind on a case-by-case basis. (low probability.)[/color]
charlatan
charlatan
Goon
charlatan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Post by charlatan »

EBWOP: Excuse me, I don't know why the end of that last sentence was last. That's supposed to read "fabricating reasons to attack others."
[color=navy]more or less done here; will maybe consider invites or replacing into your game if you're in a bind on a case-by-case basis. (low probability.)[/color]
charlatan
charlatan
Goon
charlatan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Post by charlatan »

Err, lost, not last. Triple post right off the bat!
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

ODDin wrote:So, in light of the above, but mostly because of blatantly false accusations (against myself, as it happens - but I'm willing to risk being accused of OMGUS here), I'm going to:

unvote, vote: PapaZito
charlatan's stolen my thunder here. So read his (her? ambiguity!) post plz. Again, you're attempting to paint playstyle as scummy, and it's not, it's playstyle. You can not like it, but it's not scummy, and it's not like I've never done it before as town.

Anyway, I want to point out what is interesting about ODDin's diatribe. The things he cites were in the thread and known to everyone, including himself, before he made his quadruple post. What changed? My posts, vote and accusation. Why would he wait until after I attacked him to make these feelings known?
Oddin wrote:I'm willing to risk being accused of OMGUS here
Just because you say it first doesn't mean it's not true.

SerialClergyman wrote: I'm not liking the double motivations here
lolwut. My reads are not allowed to evolve as the day goes on?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with the second set of quotes.
Kappa
Just Monika
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Post by ODDin »

Charlatan: Perhaps "lying" is a somewhat strong word indeed. A wrong impression was created regarding PZ's reason for voting SC. The impression was that he was voting based on a case. The truth (if we are to believe PZ) is that he was "serious" only in choosing to create a bandwagon - the reasons for chosing the candidate at hand weren't really serious (although I'd point you to SC's post 284, which nicely points out that even this interpretation is to be doubted).
But if we assume that this is the truth, we must ask ourselves why was this wrong impression created. I talked about this in post 281. I think PZ has a conscious hand in creating this false impression - at least in that he avoided telling us his reason for voting SC, although it must have been obvious to him that he'd be asked that.

PZ: Again, you're wrong on all accounts.
My main reason for voting you is that you vote for me and accuse me based on arguments which are blatantly, factually wrong. I can't even fathom how you got that impression in the first place - no post supports that. My post 77 (my first post in the game) explicitly says why I'm voting eKim, and I think it's obvious that it isn't exactly a random vote. Later, in post 200, after being explicitly asked who I find more suspicious, eKim or yourself, I answered eKim.
It can mean two things:
1) You're not paying attention to the game to such a degree that you vote based on things the exact opposite of which has been said in the thread. That's a pretty hard thing for me to buy, given that you're a pretty experienced player.
2) You're trying to fabricate a case against me. I'm not exactly sure why, but this explanation makes more sense than the previous one.

Obviously, this reason for me voting you wasn't there for a long time - it first appeared in post 272, and my vote for you was my first reaction to what you've said.
The thing on SC was there for a bit more time, granted, but it was somewhat more clarified to me in your post 271 (and once again, my posts 280-282 were my first reaction to that).

Also,
PZ wrote:Just because you say it first doesn't mean it's not true.
You actually gonna act on that and accuse me of OMGUS, or are you just saying it for the sake of saying it?
Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 am

Post by Sando »

Amished wrote:Also, you missed my point completely. If/when he votes for somebody, yes, I expect him to explain it. I don't expect him to come off with a "you're not in my town list" for the sole explanation as obviously there can't be the rest of the game in that list. Asking him reasoning for a vote is *far* from asking him for his town list.
No, I know exactly what your point was, you've missed mine, which is that I completely disagree with you. Serial is perfectly capable of not giving a suitable reason for his D1 vote, unless you count 'well he's not obviously town' as a suitable reason.

Knowing Serial in game and out, the best way to get information out of him in D1 is to question him as to his pro-town thoughts, as he puts a lot more effort into that than scum thoughts in D1, or at least wants to.

I'm actively trying to get information out of a player the best way I know how, and you seem to think that's a bad thing, you're not going to get far with this argument...

Charlatan's vote on me is the first to strike me as scummy. He's obviously read through fairly extensively, yet has either missed or chosen to ignore my post saying that while I can see peoples point yet disagree, constantly arguing about it is pretty pointless at this stage. Quoting the very first post I made regarding this and then ignoring every post subsequent to that is extremely dodgy.

I've made my position clear multiple times, if you think it's wrong, directly address it, if you chose to ignore it and merely jump on the bandwagon, you look scummy.
Charlatan wrote:Now Sando's on a growing bandwagon
I'm the only person voting for Amished as far as I'm aware, if someone else has voted him, it was after me...

Yeah you're just making stuff up, good on you for that. Didn't take you long, I'll give you that.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 am

Post by Papa Zito »

ODDin, yes, I'm actively accusing you of OMGUS. I guess I'll try to be more explicit in my accusations against you from now on.

Ojanen, what's your opinion of Zorblag thus far?
Kappa
Just Monika
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 am

Post by ODDin »

Awesome. That all you have to say?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”