[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1125 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:26 am

Post by zoraster »

I have it as nonfunctional at the moment. It gives a pretty big incentive to each town to win faster than the other town which is a dynamic I like. I could turn it into a vig though, i suppose.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1126 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 am

Post by zoraster »

Full Rules

Teleportation Mafia (renamed from Parallel Universe Mafia)

This is a Large Theme Game. All information is completely open.
The game will have 30 people to begin split evenly and randomly between two games.

Universe 1:
1-shot Mafia A Teleporter
Mafia A Goons x 2
Town 1 Teleporter
Across the Universe Mason
Vanilla Townies x 10

Universe 2:
1-shot Mafia B Teleporter
Mafia A Goons x 2
Town 2 Teleporter
Across the Universe Mason
Vanilla Townies x 10

Role PMs:
”Town Teleporter”You are the Town (1 or 2) Teleporter. You start the game in universe (1 or 2) that can be found here. Keep an eye on the other universe as it may come in handy. You can find that here

You have the power to either teleport or pull someone at night. You must pull once for every two teleports, and this can be done in any order (T,P,T - T,T,P - P,T,T).
Teleportation
targets another player in your universe and puts them into the other universe.
Pulling targets
another player in the other universe and puts them into your universe.
You may not teleport or pull someone who was teleported or pulled the previous night.
If you are killed, teleported, pulled or lynched, a random townie will take your place as teleporter. They will have to maintain the 1 pull to 2 teleport ratio.

Win condition: You win when the town that either you are currently in or dead in wins. That town wins when they have eliminated all Mafia within their universe. Once this has happened in a universe, the other universe may neither teleport to or pull from your universe.

”Townie”You are a vanilla townie. You can’t do much except vote to rid your universe of mafia. You start the game in universe (1 or 2) that can be found here. Keep an eye on the other universe as it may come in handy. You can find that here.

Beware! You may be teleported to the other universe! If your towns current teleporter is killed, lynched, teleported, or pulled, you may be selected as the new teleporter.

Win condition: You win when the town that either you are currently in or died in wins. That town wins when they have eliminated all Mafia within their universe. Once this has happened in a universe, the other universe may neither teleport to or pull from your universe.

”Across the Universe Mason”You are an Across the Universe Mason. You have a mason partner that starts in the other universe. You start the game in universe (1 or 2) that can be found here. Keep an eye on the other universe as it may come in handy. You can find that here.

Beware! You may be teleported to the other universe!

You may talk with your mason partner, day or night. You can find your quick time here: XXXXXX

Win condition: You win when the town that either you are currently in or died in wins. That town wins when they have eliminated all Mafia within their universe. Once this has happened in a universe, the other universe may neither teleport to or pull from your universe.

”Mafia Teleporter”You are the Mafia (A or B) 1-shot teleporter. You start the game in universe (1 or 2) that can be found here. Keep an eye on the other universe as it may come in handy. You can find that here.

Once during the game, you may teleport a player away at night OR day, but they may only do this once during the game. You may not teleport yourself.
Teleportation
targets a player in your universe and puts them into the other universe.
Pulling targets
a player in the other universe and puts them into your universe.
You may not teleport or pull someone who was teleported or pulled the previous night.

As a member of the Mafia (A or B) team, you can talk at night, even across universes. Your quick-time is found here: XXXXXXX

At night, your team may choose to shoot one person. You may shoot someone in any universe that your team has a player alive in.

Win condition: You win when your team wins in EITHER universe you are in. You win a universe when you have eliminated all other mafia team members and all townies within that universe.
DOUBLE win condition: You get the very rare and amazing DOUBLE WIN if you manage to achieve victory in BOTH universes. I will automatically nominate any mafia team that manages this for a scummy.

”Mafia Goon”You are the Mafia (A or B) Goon. You start the game in universe (1 or 2) that can be found here. Keep an eye on the other universe as it may come in handy. You can find that here.

As a member of the Mafia (A or B) team, you can talk at night, even across universes. Your quick-time is found here: XXXXXXX

At night, your team may choose to shoot one person. You may shoot someone in any universe that your team has a player alive in.

Win condition: You win when your team wins in EITHER universe you are in. You win a universe when you have eliminated all other mafia team members and all townies within that universe.
DOUBLE win condition: You get the very rare and amazing DOUBLE WIN if you manage to achieve victory in BOTH universes. I will automatically nominate any mafia team that manages this for a scummy.

Teleportation Mafia Rules:
1. You may only speak in the universe you are currently alive in.
2. If at any time a player receives a majority of the vote, they are lynched.
3. Each day has a deadline of 2 weeks.
4. All nights last precisely 48 hours. Any actions not given within this time will be seen as “no action.”
5. Night begins precisely when the majority vote post falls or the deadline is reached.
6. In the case of a conflict between actions between universes, the universe that exits night first will have all their actions performed first.
7. A mafia’s teleport will be considered to be done the instant the PM is sent.
8. One town may get "ahead" of another town by lynching quickly. This may or may not be helpful.

General Rules:
1. Have fun.
2. All votes should be bolded. Unvotes are unnecessary.
3. Please put your vote at the beginning of a line. Votes in the middle of a line are very annoying and easily missed.
4. Don’t be a jerk. I reserve the right to remove any jerks.
5. I prod by request. You may request a prod at any time on anyone. That person will have 36 hours from when I send the PM to post in a substantive way.
6. All communication with the mod should be bolded.
7. There will be a quicktime for the dead.
8. Once one universe has been won, that game is frozen and the other universe may neither pull from nor teleport to that universe. The teleporter becomes a vanilla townie.

Order of Actions:
1. Mafia Kill
2. Town Teleporting or Pulling
3. Mafia Teleporting or Pulling
4. New Teleporter is selected if old one was killed, teleported, pulled, or lynched.
*Note that this means that if a teleporter is killed, their action does not go through that night.
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1127 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:59 am

Post by Sanjay »

I think the mafia should get a greater ability to teleport. The people joining this game will be ready for wacky teleporting shenanigans and will probably expect it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1128 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 am

Post by zoraster »

how much a greater ability to teleport? I still fundamentally want this to be a game where people can scum hunt and the like... I also don't want it to get bogged down with people constantly rereading, like a game of tons of replacements.

But I'd certainly be open to upping it to a 2-shot teleporter... or an alternative if you can think of one.

Keep in mind that per night two people will be moving already. If I add the ability for scum to be able to transport every night, that'll mean 4 people are moving. By the end of the second night, that'll mean that 8/30 (27%) will have been teleported or pulled.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1129 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:15 am

Post by Sanjay »

Maybe two-shot might work.

The one problem I can think of is that while the double win is appealing, I think the mafia are probably much more likely to just go for one, and as such they are going to very much dislike being teleported and will probably want to go back. I guess that's more incentive for them to influence the teleport I suppose.

Also, I love the masons. Great idea. Is that new?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1130 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 am

Post by zoraster »

Sanjay wrote:Maybe two-shot might work.

The one problem I can think of is that while the double win is appealing, I think the mafia are probably much more likely to just go for one, and as such they are going to very much dislike being teleported and will probably want to go back. I guess that's more incentive for them to influence the teleport I suppose.

Also, I love the masons. Great idea. Is that new?
Yeah I think you're right. I don't think mafia will probably go for the double win straight away, but I figured the ultimate accomplishment ought to be available, and it gives the mafia a reason to still fight if they've won a universe but they have a player alive in the other universe.

And yeah. I was thinking about the fact I'd like to connect the two universes a little more and thought maybe I'd add a role that could message the other game or something, but then I thought that was needlessly complicated, and masons separated would be a cool dynamic. It also gives the masons a reason to WANT to be teleported to the other game or have their partner pulled.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1131 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 am

Post by farside22 »

Adel wrote:
farside22 wrote:Reading the game comments for paris it seems people thought adding 2 VT's would be more helpful. What does 1 VT added to the set up change? Why add only 1 instead of 2 VT's?
2 mafia goons vs. watcher + vig + 7 townies seems like a lot..

possible rule changes:
1. "no lynch" is not allowed while both mimes are alive.
2. if one mime is killed at night the other becomes a neutral survivor OR if one mime is killed at night, both die and lose.
I definately think the no lych while both alive should be in here what about no lynch not in the game at all.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
skitzer
skitzer
Mafia Scum
skitzer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1132 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:27 am

Post by skitzer »

An Idea I came up with last night that doesn't have much refining but I like the idea:

Noah's Ark

2 Mafia A
2 Mafia B
2 Cops
2 Doctors
2 Townies

Tweak it however you wish, but remember that the central idea is that there is two of each role.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1133 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Post by farside22 »

skitzer wrote:An Idea I came up with last night that doesn't have much refining but I like the idea:

Noah's Ark

2 Mafia A
2 Mafia B
2 Cops
2 Doctors
2 Townies

Tweak it however you wish, but remember that the central idea is that there is two of each role.
2 millers

idk a part of me wants to see something that mess's with the cops a bit and the millers get a VT PM so they don't know they are millers (sorry it's the I want things to be a not follow the cop ideal)
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
skitzer
skitzer
Mafia Scum
skitzer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1134 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:37 am

Post by skitzer »

That makes sense. The 2 Cops are very powerful.

Noah's Ark 2.0

2 Mafia A
2 Mafia B
2 Cops
2 Doctors
2 Townies
2 Millers (who get a Townie Role PM)
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1135 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Post by Adel »

farside22 wrote:
Adel wrote:
farside22 wrote:Reading the game comments for paris it seems people thought adding 2 VT's would be more helpful. What does 1 VT added to the set up change? Why add only 1 instead of 2 VT's?
2 mafia goons vs. watcher + vig + 7 townies seems like a lot..

possible rule changes:
1. "no lynch" is not allowed while both mimes are alive.
2. if one mime is killed at night the other becomes a neutral survivor OR if one mime is killed at night, both die and lose.
I definately think the no lych while both alive should be in here what about no lynch not in the game at all.
unnecessarily penalizes the town in the event of a 3 townie 1 mafia endgame.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1136 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Post by Sanjay »

skitzer wrote:That makes sense. The 2 Cops are very powerful.

Noah's Ark 2.0

2 Mafia A
2 Mafia B
2 Cops
2 Doctors
2 Townies
2 Millers (who get a Townie Role PM)
It seems like a mass claim on day one is devastating for the scum. It's better with more people who are going to be claiming Vanilla Townie, but it's still really rough.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1137 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, that seems nearly impossible for scum to win, with no real safe-claims.
Retired as of October 2014.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1138 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 am

Post by Max »

Noah's Ark 3.0
2 Mafia A (Provided with one random safe claim)
2 Mafia B (Provided with one random safe claim)

There are 8 players who are distributed to the following roles. There will either be 0 or 2 of each:
Cops (If selected one can only find Maf A the other Maf B)
Doctors (If selected one can only protect from Maf A the other Maf B)
Millers (who get a Townie Role PM)
Roleblockers, Trackers, Watchers, Martyrs, Lovers, Masons, Townies and so on

Town have 8 players randomly across the different possibilities.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1139 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

@ Teleporter Mafia, if mafia teleporters are two shots could they could just flood 1 game with mafia for an easy win there. As even if they teleport all the mafia out of 1 universe they will win due to winning in the other?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1140 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:13 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Max wrote:Noah's Ark 3.0
2 Mafia A (Provided with one random safe claim)
2 Mafia B (Provided with one random safe claim)

There are 8 players who are distributed to the following roles. There will either be 0 or 2 of each:
Cops (If selected one can only find Maf A the other Maf B)
Doctors (If selected one can only protect from Maf A the other Maf B)
Millers (who get a Townie Role PM)
Roleblockers, Trackers, Watchers, Martyrs, Lovers, Masons, Townies
and so on

Town have 8 players randomly across the different possibilities.
Does that mean all possible roles? Because, if I got a townie PM, I'd go right out and say "I'm a miller, folks". Because the chances of getting town and miller in the same game are SO DAMNED LITTLE.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1141 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 am

Post by Max »

animorpherv1 wrote:Does that mean all possible roles? Because, if I got a townie PM, I'd go right out and say "I'm a miller, folks". Because the chances of getting town and miller in the same game are SO DAMNED LITTLE.
Actually the chances of getting a miller are the same as getting a townie.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1142 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:12 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Max wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:Does that mean all possible roles? Because, if I got a townie PM, I'd go right out and say "I'm a miller, folks". Because the chances of getting town and miller in the same game are SO DAMNED LITTLE.
but the chances of getting town & miller in the same game is smaller then getting town OR miller.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1143 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 am

Post by Max »

animorpherv1 wrote:
Max wrote:
but the chances of getting town & miller in the same game is smaller then getting town OR miller.
What if the other townie claims townie? You'd have no reason to claim miller over townie. The claim of townie has implications of being a miller anyway.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1144 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Max wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:
Max wrote:
What if the other townie claims townie? You'd have no reason to claim miller over townie. The claim of townie has implications of being a miller anyway.
You said therw would be 0-2 of certain roles (8 total). Having 1 miller & townie is more likley then 2 of both. But you never did answer first question. Is the possible roles every role in the wiki? Because that's what my case is based on.

Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1145 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by Sanjay »

It isn't 0-2 random. It's 0-2 because the mafia might have been given those roles as fakeclaims. The likeliness of 1 of each rather than 2 of each depends on how many roles there are total.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1146 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Sanjay wrote:It isn't 0-2 random. It's 0-2 because the mafia might have been given those roles as fakeclaims. The likeliness of 1 of each rather than 2 of each depends on how many roles there are total.
It says "randomly" in the description.

Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1147 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Post by Sanjay »

Oh, I guess I misread it.

I think the way I misunderstood it is better.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1148 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 am

Post by Max »

I think a better idea may be as follows:

2 Mafia A
2 Mafia B
8 Town

Are assigned randomly independently from the following (which have either 0 or 2):

Cops, Doctors, Millers (who get a Townie Role PM), Roleblockers, Trackers, Watchers, Martyrs, Lovers, Masons, Townies

It may be possible for either 0, 1 or 2 of each role to be mafia.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1149 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Having either 0 or 2 gets reductionist once you lynch several people. Scum will be screwed in any PR fakeclaim if several Townies die and no power roles have...

Also, having that many 'chosen randomly from' roles makes this essentially a normal Mini, not an Open Setup.
Retired as of October 2014.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”