Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:05 am

Post by Sando »

I assume it can only happen once and then breaks? If so not automatically game breaking, but enough to really hurt town if it falls to scum.

But yes, I'd have held on to it.

Probably should just be lost if passed to scum though.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 am

Post by VP Baltar »

SerialClergyman wrote:Ojanen - next time I get even a whiff of a night kill, you're in my sights! :D

VP - thanks for finally siding with one of my bizarre theories on D1.. I was very touched to hear you'd voted Amished :P
Haha, you just have to give me a chance to get used to you. My meta on you gets better all the time, so it's easier to tell when you're being genuine. Just a shame I didn't follow up on it the next day. I think if you had lived one more day, we could have really done some damage together.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
BigBear
BigBear
Goon
BigBear
Goon
Goon

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 am

Post by BigBear »

I thought about mandating that you had to give the vest off each night. Vi Suggested against that.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:39 am

Post by Vi »

Sando wrote:I assume it can only happen once and then breaks? If so not automatically game breaking, but enough to really hurt town if it falls to scum.

Scum have virtually no need for the BPV except for a Town-cred gambit, so in practice the BPV IS lost if passed to scum.
Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:48 am

Post by Sando »

Vi wrote:
Sando wrote:I assume it can only happen once and then breaks? If so not automatically game breaking, but enough to really hurt town if it falls to scum.

Scum have virtually no need for the BPV except for a Town-cred gambit, so in practice the BPV IS lost if passed to scum.
Protection from a lynch doesn't seem half bad for scum. Also, I think the 'auto loss' that Scien is refering to is if the BPV doesn't break after use, meaning that scum with it are unkillable, hence scum can't lose.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:49 am

Post by Vi »

Sando wrote:
Vi wrote:

Protection from a lynch doesn't seem half bad for scum. Also, I think the 'auto loss' that Scien is refering to is if the BPV doesn't break after use, meaning that scum with it are unkillable, hence scum can't lose.
Wait, when did a bulletproof vest stop scum from getting
lynched
?
BigBear
BigBear
Goon
BigBear
Goon
Goon

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 am

Post by BigBear »

That's what the flavor indicated. Invincible.

i think it would have worked well with the day 3 flavor.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:10 am

Post by Vi »

Let's talk about
flavor
"Normal"
, and
making things up as we go along
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:25 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I saw all these good players in the game, and I was like wow, I have to teach these new-uns how to play!

Then I read the game and it was Boooooooooooooooo-ring. I had to pretend I was drinking to derive some mild amusement from even posting in this thread.

I enjoyed playing backseat coordinator though. Charlatan and Ojanen are damn good players, so much that this was the second strongest mafia team I had ever been paired with.

IMO we need to play all of us again, but in a better, more standard setup. Anyone /in??
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:30 am

Post by Sando »

Would definitely be /in.

Same teams?

:P
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:18 am

Post by crypto »

Wow. I apologize to everyone for my absolutely atrocious play this game, especially since I replaced in. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me; I was just completely out of it and getting any solid town/scum reads at all was a damn chore. Just bizarre. Without a doubt my worst game on this site. -_-

Ojanen had me 100% fooled all game. She and Scien were the only people I had written off as town. Charlatan was almost as convincing until I did a meta of him and saw that he was capable of making pro-town-looking text walls as scum. While I was doing my reread I found ekiM much more scummy than I did during my first read-through, but charlatan's claim ... I don't even want to think about it. ABR was the only mafioso I was even close to being right about.

Yecch. Sorry for the vacuous play, guys.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:22 am

Post by crypto »

To clarify, Amished was infinitely scummier (for me) than ABR. Early on, when he posted a bazillion jokes and then talked about how he ignores / forgets about jokes all the time—it looked like blatant flailing and I was an idiot for neglecting to pursue that suspicion on the last day.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:25 am

Post by crypto »

Oh, and on a less shamefully befuddled note, Serial's day 1 town hunting strategy is money (not that I'm patient enough to use it properly).
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:43 am

Post by Zorblag »

First off, congratulations scum! You did play well. Thank you for modding BigBear, Troll liked the flavor and though Troll will go over a few issues that came up Troll thinks that them all be things to have learned from and not the end of the world.

So Troll should apologize somewhat for Troll's play here. Troll got unexpectedly busy during this game and Troll thinks it hurt the town some. Having said that, Troll has trouble in games this size and larger at the start. There be too little information and too many people to keep track of for Troll to process well. Unless there be special dynamics or particularly polarizing play to use as a foundation Troll largely spends the early game lost. Troll actually feels this game was an improvement on Tofu Mafia in that respect; despite any feelings others might have Troll did more to express opinions than Troll has in the past. Troll did try to start with the rule quirks of this game to see if it would lead to anything helpful but Troll no saw that it did. As Sando be aware, Troll's case on him no was strong at all; Troll just never thought there was a better case to work from and day one Troll be primarily interested in having enough information out there to work with in the future.

The limited reveal aspect of the game no be something Troll was a huge fan of. It wasn't what Troll expected from a normal game and the lack of information did hinder Troll's ability to make some assessments as Troll normally would. The non-standard death for AGar was also troubling for Troll. Troll no could tell if it was because of some special role or because of story-telling. At the end of day three Troll struggled a bit with whether or not to bring up the fact that it happening made it less likely that there would be a tracker in the game (as the lack of information makes the tracker role that much weaker) but there was just so much more Troll disliked about Papa Zito's defense (the clincher being that him didn't remember how the bullet-proof vest worked) that Troll decided it wasn't worth bringing up. Troll was also slightly concerned that no one was considering some sort of re director scum role that would have made both Charlatan and Papa Zito's stories true. Troll no mentioned that either as Troll has realized that Troll be too imaginative when playing when it comes to roles in closed games.

The bullet-proof vest granting complete invulnerability do be too strong. If Troll had that (and realized it) then Troll would simply have claimed it right at the start and then never been killed. Troll no be sure how it would have gone down but Troll would hope that scum would assume that Troll was a serial killer and trying to bluff and would at some point waste a kill on Troll. Having it be something that doesn't prevent lynches and be a mandatory transfer that works on it's target for the night it gets transferred be like having a doc who loses their powers if them ever protect the mafia (with the possibility to get them back if there ever be only one mafia left). It also some some chance to set up interesting extra information so Troll does like that item/role idea.

@BigBear, did the roleblocker block the bulletproof vest? If they had targeted the player with it and the vig had targeted the player would the vig have worked? Or did the roleblock prevent the transfer of the vest to another player? Or something else?

At the end of the game Troll was pretty sure that both crypto and Scien were town. Troll's first guess for a partner for either Papa Zito or Charlatan was either VP Baltar or Albert B. Rampage. Them didn't seem that likely to be scum together so if there was one more that would have left Ojanen by default. Troll planned to get into that more when it mattered but when the game ended there was no sense giving the scum more information about who to night kill anyhow. If Papa Zito was scum then Troll would have pushed for a no lynch with no extra talking the next day. If Papa Zito was town then Troll would have been with the others lynching Charlatan despite minor worries that the claim no made sense if it no lead to an immediate scum win.

Troll could probably come up with more to say but Troll will stop there. Troll did enjoy playing with everyone and hopes to see all about.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
charlatan
charlatan
Goon
charlatan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 am

Post by charlatan »

Thanks to BigBear for modding and to everyone else. I enjoyed the game.

I didn't want to mention it during the game because I thought that it would sound insincere and also I wanted to look tuff and badass, but I usually will play a max of two games at once, and added this as a third when asked to solely for the player list. It was a like a dream team of players I'd wanted to play with again, so thanks to whoever suggested the invite (Troll?). There were also a few of you I hadn't played with before that I wanted to, having read games you played in.

I had a lot of trouble really sinking my teeth into this game early on. I can't really say why that was, but I just wasn't getting into it despite the player list. Eventually I came around. I always suck early in the game anyways, but I don't know. Maybe it was because I replaced in.
BigBear wrote:In retrospect, in accordance with the rules, I should not have counted day 2's lynch. It should have been a no lynch. The only way that I justified it, was because he was only 10 minutes off, and i know i've played other games where the same situation has happened, only I was in Charlatans position. (just not as scum)
That was the worst thing! Everything I said in regards to that was completely true. It wasn't some sort of scum trick. I thought I could argue it as a nulltell, but I was really relieved when BigBear counted it. I would hate to think that my misunderstanding of a simple rule changed the course of the game, but amusingly enough now I know that that was the case with the town PRs, too.
crypto wrote:Charlatan was almost as convincing until I did a meta of him and saw that he was capable of making pro-town-looking text walls as scum.
Yeah, this was my second game as scum, the first ending just a few days ago, so that scum meta wasn't even available until Day 3. Won't be able to squeak by on purposely walling up anymore.

Claim was Rampage's idea, as you'll note in the quicktopic. I was going to be pretty content to chill where I was, especially as I had never done that before and wasn't confident it would look sincere. But I'm glad I rolled with it, as it made things more interesting, at least from my point of view.
- [color=navy] charlatan[/color]
[color=maroon]every sermon is not the gospel[/color]
[color=navy]more or less done here; will maybe consider invites or replacing into your game if you're in a bind on a case-by-case basis. (low probability.)[/color]
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:10 am

Post by ODDin »

Thanks BB for the modding. I would, in concept, like to do such a game again, but I'm not sure I'll have the time for it in the near future.

Scum, you did a great job indeed.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:16 am

Post by Zorblag »

Ah, yes, for those who no knew how this game came about, Troll simply started by seeing if those who had received nominations for outstanding new player this year were interested in having a game together. Then them invited other players who were also new as of this year of their choice until we had a full game. Troll passed on a list of those who got mentioned but not invited as well as a couple other new players others to BigBear as potential replacements at the start. BigBear was chosen to mod as him was the first convenient mod to come up in the normal mini queue whose game was designed for 12 players. Troll asked Vi and Yosarian2 to review the setup somewhat arbitrarily as Troll thinks that them both have excellent understandings of game balance and them have both done good modding in the past that Troll has seen.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:33 am

Post by Amished »

Yeah, this was easily my worst game I've ever played. If you check the times, pretty much every one of my posts was late at night when I wasn't paying attention. That doesn't work out that great when I need to be on top of my game as scum :(

GG guys, and it was me that caught a PR tell from SC at the end of the day (hey, I WAS right!)
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 am

Post by SerialClergyman »

Sando wrote:Would definitely be /in.
I'm /in!
Same teams?

:P
I lol'd.
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 am

Post by SerialClergyman »

crypto - you've seen me push for a scum lynch on D1 twince in a row but don't think it's often like that :P You might be a little overly impressed by a small sample size!

Amished, you can read when I'm a PR better than I can!
I'm old now.
BigBear
BigBear
Goon
BigBear
Goon
Goon

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:24 am

Post by BigBear »

gtg right now, but I signed up to mod a mini themed game. It will most likely be Chuck flavored. And this time i'll get
everything
set straight the from the beginning.
Scien
Scien
Goon
Scien
Goon
Goon

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Scien »

I would be /in unless you guys are tired of me.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Oh, and for those scum who were trying to figure out whether Troll was acting as Troll acts as a power role when town it be a bit hard to say really. Troll now has 14 completed games as town. Of those Troll has been a vanilla townie in 14 of them.

In Troll's completed scum games Troll has had non-goon roles 3 times out of 6 so perhaps that be where to look?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Oh, and thanks Troll for the great idea. I think a best of the newbies game should be held each year.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #874 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Are you in for the next VP Baltar?

IDK Scien, are you gonna be more decisive and step it up this time? :P
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”