Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 am

Post by Jack »

Mod-Edit Votecount 1-9

magnus_orion - 8
(Kairyuu, danakillsu, Primate, DocPotter, Seacore, Toon Fighter, ElectricBadger, farside22)

Toon fighter - 6
(Anon, Flareonage, Kyle99, Jack, magnus_orion, Nul)

Farside22 - 1
(bv310)

Not Voting - 5
(Kise, DeeJayCee, Konowa, Haschel Cedricson, RichardGHP)

With 20 alive, it takes 11 to lynch.

Now you go off and show the similarities in the 2 cases and how they same in any way.
This is not a useful way of framing it. Of course the posts have similarities, and of course they aren't the same.

Intent is nebulous, it is perceived by the scumhunter (sometimes mistakenly) and lied about by scum.

You are essentially demanding that he provide quotes to prove a gut call.

There's no point to continued argument here. Others will read and make their decisions.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 am

Post by Jack »

Farside, it is odd that you thought Toon fighter was scummy enough to speculate that he was the jester, and unvoted magnus to vote him, but now have your vote back on magnus. I don't see anything you've said about him as being near as strong as "is this guy a jester?"
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 am

Post by magnus_orion »

OMGUS is similarly ridiculous. I gave a reason that was independent of you voting me. If I hadn't then, yes, it is a scum-tell, however, if that is not the case, then the OMGUS accusation shouldn't give you a shield from ever being attacked by someone you are voting
hypocrite again
Read the second and third sentences. of the quote from me above.
Like I said, if no reason is given, omgus is still a scumtell. I suspect that nothing has changed, so your vote is omgus, but I suspect that you will argue that the reason you are trying to give is my supposed lying, in which case, it is not omgus, regardless of the truth matter of my supposed lying. I just don't think that your position about whether I was lying has shifted significantly, the only thing that has changed is my further elaboration of my case, thus, it
looks like
omgus to me.
dour

dour post the cast page 5 after 4 days into the game
He used " with very few words and not actual quotes that show his case
his suspicion is with no questions at all and 1 paragraph with 4 lines

farside

post the case on page 3 after 2 days into the game
Uses quote
asked questions
the post has 17 sentences with 1 paragraph
These do not relate to the intent of the post, they merely quantify the content
Aren't you supposed to prove it does in some way?
Nope, not anymore.
You see, I've established my position, and your response was "liar", which is a new counterpoint. Basically, you have declared that my position doesn't hold, for some unstated reason. Since you haven't explained what that reason is (in the post I indicated, anyway), burden of proof is now on you to explain what that reason is (which you have done to some extent in more recent posts).
Which I never used those words like Dour did and I showed reason's I found your logic and case faulty on EB.
Dour showed reasons, he found my backing off a person to be suspicious, as well as parts of my tone, which he indicated. Difference of specific words doesn't count for much when it comes to intent of writing

Ex.
"How can he go around hitting others?"
has the same intent as
"When he nuked that country, he was doing something morally reprehensible."
Both have the same intent, which is to express the opinion that an action was wrong, but the ways of going about it are different, as are the words used, and the issues they address. If you want to argue that difference of the words used matters, prove that the intent of the two above quotes are different.

Dattebayo
Show
Why, yes, I do exist simply to make your life a living hell.
Win-Loss
Town: 10-3
Scum: 5-2
Serial Killer: 0-2
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 am

Post by farside22 »

Jack wrote:
Now you go off and show the similarities in the 2 cases and how they same in any way.
This is not a useful way of framing it. Of course the posts have similarities, and of course they aren't the same.

Intent is nebulous, it is perceived by the scumhunter (sometimes mistakenly) and lied about by scum.

You are essentially demanding that he provide quotes to prove a gut call.

There's no point to continued argument here. Others will read and make their decisions.
Gut = intent?

Basically, you have declared that my position doesn't hold, for some unstated reason.
Because it doesn't and you haven't show any way it has.
Farside, it is odd that you thought Toon fighter was scummy enough to speculate that he was the jester, and unvoted magnus to vote him, but now have your vote back on magnus. I don't see anything you've said about him as being near as strong as "is this guy a jester?"
Why are you defending someone you called making crap up orginally?

notice my whatever post when i voted TF. It means it's not worth arguing as there was no jester in the game. TF is also not posting so what you want me to just sit there and not question the other person I find to be scum?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

magnus_orion wrote:So, once again, the only thing that's changed has nothing to do with me, personally, which means you have an ulterior motive for voting me now, regardless of what it may be. You seem to have agreed on this point.
Nicely loaded comment. Even if I'd started the day knowing for 100% sure you were scum I wouldn't have been ready to lynch you without exploring other players and bandwagons. So yes, there was an ulterior motive - to find scum. It shouldn't be a surprise that not everything I do is about you, magnus, and stating this stuff like some court drama revelation is a bit silly.
magnus_orion wrote:Why didn't you vote me once I said that?
What would it have accomplished? You have such a problem with my lack of an initial vote against you but you haven't given any reason as to why it would have helped find scum. I've given several as to why it would do the opposite. Stop looking up nefarious words in the thesaurus and make a case.
magnus_orion wrote:Oh, you go on to claim you had an additional ulterior motive, which was to "help the scumhunt pick up again", in other words, you felt it was better to save it for a time when you could use it to try to better manipulate public action/opinion, rather than actually use it just to express your own opinion.
My opinion was pretty thoroughly expressed; I don't need a vote for that. Words ftw.

Manipulate public opinion...my goodness, is everyone else here a mindless sheep, to be led by the nose? I held my vote for a time when it was better used to help shift the focus of investigation - which is what happened, unless you're going to claim the wagon on Toon is entirely anti-town. A vote by itself is hardly going to change everyone's mind, so drop the melodrama; it's not some mind control device held in reserve for my plot of world domination.

@ magnus - you've made much about people posting reasons for votes but not asking for more information. At the same time you don't seem to have much interest in active lurkers, who are doing the same thing but without quantity. What's the difference?

Jack wrote:@EB: Earlier, you kept taking my quote of "I wouldn't make the assumption that..." and turning it into "Jack, why are you claiming there aren't any scum that switched?". You are doing the same thing here. Don't.
Then don't be vague. Your posting is a study in evasiveness. Take a stand, make a statement. Despite the quantity you post I don't see you saying anything concrete.
Jack wrote:I don't think you really disagree with my claim that the people who switched aren't suspicious, because I haven't seen you spend much time on them, you are focusing on magnus.
I certainly don't agree with you, as I have repeatedly stated the opposite. A tell on a trend - that the quantity of sudden votes implies scum are in preference of the toon wagon, either shifting from magnus' wagon or from not voting to avoid it - obviously doesn't lead to the conclusion that everyone on the toon wagon is scum.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:05 am

Post by Jack »

farside22 wrote: Why are you defending someone you called making crap up orginally?

notice my whatever post when i voted TF. It means it's not worth arguing as there was no jester in the game. TF is also not posting so what you want me to just sit there and not question the other person I find to be scum?
See, farside, everything you are accusing magnus of is stuff that townies do. Knee jerk reactions, hypocrisy, exaggeration, "lying", being wrong about other townies. To say that someone is acting like a jester is to say that they are doing something that
no townie would do
. Whether there is a jester in the game is irrelevant.

TF isn't posting, so it's perfectly suitable to go after magnus. But why is your vote on him rather than TF?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 am

Post by farside22 »

Jack wrote:
farside22 wrote: Why are you defending someone you called making crap up orginally?

See, farside, everything you are accusing magnus of is stuff that townies do. Knee jerk reactions, hypocrisy, exaggeration, "lying", being wrong about other townies. To say that someone is acting like a jester is to say that they are doing something that
no townie would do
. Whether there is a jester in the game is irrelevant.

TF isn't posting, so it's perfectly suitable to go after magnus. But why is your vote on him rather than TF?
Townies lie while making a case and are hypocrites. Can you tell me who these players are because I have a black list of people I don't ever want to play with and those would be the type I dont' like?
There is no town reason to lie while making a case. If you can tell me how then you are defending scum because scum lie and make shit up all the time.
You want to say why being a hypocrite is town? The do as I say but don't do as I do attitude doesn't fly with kids so why would if fly in mafia?
I noticed this is the second time you didnt' answer my question.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 am

Post by farside22 »

magnus are you a lawyer?

intent defined:

in⋅tent1  /ɪnˈtɛnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-tent] Show IPA
Use intent in a Sentence
See images of intent
Search intent on the Web
–noun 1. something that is intended; purpose; design; intention: The original intent of the committee was to raise funds.
2. the act or fact of intending, as to do something: criminal intent.
3. Law. the state of a person's mind that directs his or her actions toward a specific object.
4. meaning or significance.

magnus seems to think I intented my case to be look here is scum and doesn't show how or why.
I showed questions that were not rethorical first. Then he saids I'm trying to convince people I was saying he was scum. Again not showing how or why.
Now he is holding this you had intent. Which clearly is an opinion he has and no fact behind it because again he has not show how or why my post had intent to begin with.
My orginal case was talking discussing the argument between EB and magnus which was the main thing going on that was not RVS or joke comment.
I saw Magnus was throwing acusations that did not jive with his case and I showed and said why. The comment for EB on post 40 looked like a joke comment. He says took it sericously from his comment. He votes EB for her answer on primate but again doesn't say why.

Every time I have made a point against magnus orginal case he backed off of his comment a bit and tried rewording something he didn't say before in his case. Then tries from another angle and so forth and exectra.
There are all scum moves in my view. He wants to asked questions and belittle people there is no town movtive except to make a player look small and pretend they have no clue what they are talking about. That to me is scummy.

I could go on but I was told walls of text make people hate you.
so for those who hate long post:

There is nothing I have seen pro-town come from magnus. He goes from hypocritical, wishy/washy, backtracking, lying and trying to change a case slowly but surely that wasn't there to begin with. This is called manipulation in laymen terms.
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 am

Post by danakillsu »

@jack
I would suggest to you that there is nothing more drastic than saying someone is acting like a jester. To say the same about magnus would just be repeating himself, which would just look inherently scummy. Therefore, whatever he said about magnus_orion would automatically have to be less drastic than what he said about toon fighter. He may be guilty of an indiscretion in saying that toon looked like a jester, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't think that he has a stronger case against magnus_orion.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

I have been alerted that this game needs mod attention. If Jebus has not shown himself by the time I am out of classes today I will get a votecount up and prods out
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Anon wrote:I dont have the energy/time to read one more page of mafia.

Post tonight. Dont quicklynch anyone on page 8 obv obv.
Still waitin' Kise. So far only two posts from you, both with zero content.
bv310 wrote:Alrighty. All caught up. Nothing much jumps out at me that hasn't been rehashed a million times already. Not a fan of either wagon at this point, but Toon's AtE and Newbclaim seem really sketchy.
Several pages and not much RVS...is this all you've come up with? Your vote is still on farside - is it serious? What do you think of her jester speculation?
Flareonage wrote:
Unvote

VOTE:Toon Fighter

Even I post more then that
Do you have any reasons for voting Toon beyond his posting rate? Why should we look at your own lack of posts and content as less scummy?
Konowa wrote:Replacing in for TheLonging. It is 5:45 in the morning and I am on my way to work and I have not read yet. Someone should summarize the points against Toon and magnus so I have something to read when I get back.
Magnus is pushing cases he knows to be wrong in order to gauge reactions, then backing off, then returning to them. It reads scum throwing out garbage cases and backtracking anything that doesn't stick.

Toon cast an RVS vote when we were clearly out of that stage, and responded with a bunch of AtE when called out, and doesn't seem to match his town meta.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the value of both cases.
kyle99 wrote:Meh, I ISOed ToonFighter, and he just reeks of scum. He RVSed WAAAY to late, admited it was an OMGUS, and than admitted it was an awful vote and unvoted. Then, he voted for the next highest wagon because he said it was the best chance for him to stay alive. Claiming newb isn't going to help him on this.
In what way are Toon's actions pro-mafia, rather than just bad play?

Same question to you, RichardGHP.
Seacore wrote:Anyway, I've read through and have decided to keep my vote where it is, for actual reasons this time. Magnus is all scummy all over the place, lots of contradictions and hypocracies that have already been pointed out.
What specific reasons convinced you magnus is scum? What's your reply to his reasoning for them?

Toon Fighter, you definitely need to speak up. You referred to past meta to explain your current play, but it seems to do the opposite. Can you explain why you're acting so differently this game?

@ Mod: Prods please for DocPotter (last post Jan 30), Haschel Cedricson (last post Jan 31), Nul (last post Jan 29th), Primate (last post jan 28th),

Kairyuu sort of requested replacement and hasn't posted since.
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am

Post by magnus_orion »

Every time I have made a point against magnus orginal case he backed off of his comment a bit and tried rewording something he didn't say before in his case. Then tries from another angle and so forth and exectra.
There are all scum moves in my view. He wants to asked questions and belittle people there is no town movtive except to make a player look small and pretend they have no clue what they are talking about. That to me is scummy.
No. My original case is the same as now.
Just because you misunderstood doesn't mean it has changed.
If you want to argue this, please present evidence that my case has, in fact, explicitly changed over time. That is, find something I am saying now, that is not logically consistent with my original case.

Because frankly, I don't remember doing half of what you said above this
comment.

in relation to the jack-farside debate: I think what jack is trying to say is that it is possible to believe a townie would do those things, while accusing someone of being a jester is saying that they are doing things that it is impossible to believe a townie would ever do.

Moving away from that, on to EB:
Nicely loaded comment. Even if I'd started the day knowing for 100% sure you were scum I wouldn't have been ready to lynch you without exploring other players and bandwagons. So yes, there was an ulterior motive - to find scum. It shouldn't be a surprise that not everything I do is about you, magnus, and stating this stuff like some court drama revelation is a bit silly
Hmmm... okay, I can buy that. Just explain why you only explored one other wagon. (as for court drama... my previous avatar was Phoenix Wright, if that tells you anything.)
Stop looking up nefarious words in the thesaurus and make a case.
I'm not looking up words in a thesaurus, so I'll take this as a compliment about my vocabulary. I try to use words that I attach very specific meaning to as an effort to reduce misunderstanding and lessen the ability of others to exploit ambiguity.

If fact you expressed that you would wish Jack to be last vague in the same post, so you can probably see to some extent where I'm coming from with that.

Manipulate public opinion...my goodness, is everyone else here a mindless sheep, to be led by the nose? I held my vote for a time when it was better used to help shift the focus of investigation
Attempting to use your vote to shift the focus of the investigation, however, is manipulating public opinion. Just because it doesn't convince everybody to follow you blindly doesn't mean it isn't an attempt at manipulation. Your objective was to shift people's focus away from one issue and towards another, via a specific method. Thats manipulation.
At the same time you don't seem to have much interest in active lurkers, who are doing the same thing but without quantity. What's the difference?
I despise active lurkers. However, there is a limit to the number of people I'm willing to confront at one time. If I get into several debates at once, I might start becoming confused.

Dattebayo
Show
Win-Loss
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 am

Post by magnus_orion »

EBWOP: ... you would wish Jack to be *less* vague ...

Dattebayo
Show
Win-Loss
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Meh, rushed and skipped over Kise on the above.
ElectricBadger wrote:
Anon wrote:I dont have the energy/time to read one more page of mafia.

Post tonight. Dont quicklynch anyone on page 8 obv obv.
Still waitin' Kise. So far only two posts from you, both with zero content.
...should read 'still waitin'
Anon
, of course.
Kise wrote:It might have been late in the game for the rest of us to do RVS crap, but I expect it from fresh fish like Toon. The points on magnus almost earn my vote. Very odd behavior from you, sir. Definitely wouldn't mind joining this wagon. Hypocrite activity is worthy of a lynch.

I feel like voting Nul for the hell of it.
Your comment on Nul is skirting the edge of the same RVS crap you call Toon out for - or do you have a reason behind the comment?
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 am

Post by Jack »

ElectricBadger wrote:
Jack wrote:@EB: Earlier, you kept taking my quote of "I wouldn't make the assumption that..." and turning it into "Jack, why are you claiming there aren't any scum that switched?". You are doing the same thing here. Don't.
Then don't be vague. Your posting is a study in evasiveness. Take a stand, make a statement. Despite the quantity you post I don't see you saying anything concrete.
I don't think this is a good objection. <--concrete :p

Your argument here would lead you to conclude that for any null tell, you must either consider it a townie tell or a scum tell. Although to be specific, I'm not claiming it's always a null tell (that would be quite a statement!) I'm just saying I don't think it's a tell either way in this case. That is concrete.
Jack wrote:I don't think you really disagree with my claim that the people who switched aren't suspicious, because I haven't seen you spend much time on them, you are focusing on magnus.
I certainly don't agree with you, as I have repeatedly stated the opposite. A tell on a trend - that the quantity of sudden votes implies scum are in preference of the toon wagon, either shifting from magnus' wagon or from not voting to avoid it - obviously doesn't lead to the conclusion that everyone on the toon wagon is scum.
I don't remember you mentioning their names. You certainly haven't spent much time on them. It's simple, if scum jumped on toon to save magnus, then some of the people who jumped on toon are scum. If you think they are scum, why wouldn't you take a closer look at them? I'll offer an explanation: you were just applying a tell to the situation, without really caring about whether it was accurate.
Farside wrote:Now he is holding this you had intent. Which clearly is an opinion he has and no fact behind it because again he has not show how or why my post had intent to begin with.
Farside wrote:I noticed this is the second time you didnt' answer my question.
Does that make me mafia? Was my intent to evade your question because I didn't like it? After what you have said about magnus, how could you argue that this was scummy without being hypocritical?

Regardless of whether you thought it was scummy that I skipped your question, do you see the problem with insisting that magnus has to show intent? Ultimately most cases come down to gut, and the best you can do as explanation is point to what triggered your gut and give an approximate explanation.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 am

Post by farside22 »

Long post in coming!!!

magnus orginal claim:
Town should be trying to ask me questions at this point, or at least trying to get me to talk more, scum will be trying to push town skepticism toward suspicion by making drawn out explanations, but not asking questions. (well, he does ask questions, but they serve rhetorical purpose, not inquisitive)

unvote vote: Farside22
I can point to games where this scumtell has been successful, if people want me to.
1) I asked questions and yes one was definately not retheorical. Claiming I'm not trying to get him to talk more.
However, that's still irrelevant, since Jack did not make an attempt to try and convince others of his opinion, so there's no real scum motivation behind it, just not fulfilling the town motivation. I wasn't lying when I said I assume that people are town unless I think I have reason to suspect otherwise.
Now we come more to this is trying to convince people that I'm saying scum lets lynch
However, I think that scum would be more likely make cases this early in the game that do not have systems for attempting to continue conversation to gather more evidence
Goes back to not trying to carry a converstaion even after I showed how my questions.

Tries to down play his own case here;
As to your other point, its not really relevant, because just because my point is scum like to try to convince town doesn't mean that scum don't also try to avoid making claims. Some scum behave differently than others. It would be silly to layout a single criteria and say that every scum you run into will behave exactly like this.
Richard isn't trying to convince people, he's just calling for more people...

Again not showing any evidence of this.

The meat of the argument;
Everything you posted was evidence for (1)
And then you reached the conclusion (3)
To get from (1) to (3) you need an implicit premise (2) which allows for the argument to work.
You never actually said (2). You threw up a bunch of stuff I did, and declared it to be scummy.
You never gave a reason why the actions I committed were scummy.
I note the same wording used when he is cornered by EB as well here:
I'd like to see your rationale for why my actions are scummy (you've only stated what actions you think are scummy). Especially given that what I've been doing, in your view, is just an extension of the RVS (now, I don't think that that's true, but it's interesting that you think the RVS [or at least, the thought behind it] is scummy)
belittle a case again:
I'm questioning the premise that if you can prove "magnus is making no sense" then it follows "magnus is scum"

While even if I agree I was making little to no sense, I contend that that still doesn't make me scum.
Yes, they showed, in essence things that I said, and then you declared each in turn, ridiculous.
Did you, or did you not, explain a motivation for why scum (and not town) would commit those actions that you have pointed out as me doing.
Now I have to show how town or why scum does these things
"Prove" is a very strong word. You've proven very little, if anything, in this game. To prove something is to show that, without any reasonable objection, something is absolutely true.

Being bombastic and disagreeing is not proving something wrong.
being a lawyer now
Affirming that I realized you had asked questions, but they were more statements of ridiculousness, not actual questions you intended to be answered.
back to this even though I showed a question that expected an answer

goes back to the old standby and seems to think he should not have to explain why

However, I think that scum would be more likely make cases this early in the game that do not have systems for attempting to continue conversation to gather more evidence. Its simply too early, there is simply too little information, for you not to want to try to gain more and make sure your right.
Surely I needn't quote you in order to explain why or how? There's my explanation, right there.
Shows no evidence of this theory. Continues in the didn't engage comments but clearly we are engaging each other at this point.
Offered to, in the post from which "magnus original vote and reason: " came from. Nobody asked for me to further back it up. This is just a reiteration of my original point, if you didn't get that the first time you read it.
Why would anyone have to ask for this. I don't know any town reason to hid or fluff a case from thin air

Here is how he is apperently reading the case I made and guessing how players react to the case:
"XYZ is scum, WAGON GO!" I'm not going to have people saying, "That makes perfect sense, I agree completely, 'WAGON GO!' totally convinces me that XYZ is scum, and I should vote for him"
Why? Because "WAGON GO!" offers nothing in the range of logic or reasoning, it is an emotional outburst that does not attempt to assert a defensible position. Does that make sense? If not, be sure to let me know, so I can further elaborate on this.
Oh and apparently he thinks his reasoning is obvious again which means if you don't get it apparently your dumb:
Yes, I would prefer that you ask me to explain or back something up, so that it doesn't leave me explaining things that are "obvious". You may have noticed I have none of that so-called "common sense", so I can't tell what should be obvious and what shouldn't.
Oh look now EB is being accused of the same thing here:
@EB: While I don't really care that you're voting me, I do want to point out something I found rather interesting.
At first I thought you were merely being cautious, but this recent vote calls that into question.
You see, you've been encouraging my lynch for a while now, saying things like "the magnus wagon is a good wagon" etc. etc.
more hypocrisy on OMGUS
You claim your ulterior motive was related to not voting, with the reasoning that you were afraid of "omgus". Well, I think omgus is a ridiculous accusation, said as much, so that fear should have been alleviated.
Tell me again is OMGUS scum or town modivated. Your calling it both leaves you ton's of wiggle room.
Except, they're not. And no matter what words you use, or what you call it, you can't change that my express intent was to provoke reactions, and your intent was not.
But he can say my intent was show he was scum and zomg lets lynch him with no evidence what's so ever.

Hey look here is the intent again
Link: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10974
The case doesn't have to be similar, the intent does, but I digress.
It was a rather outrageous accusation with very little substance, thus it would produce reaction.
LOL This is I said next to nothing to provoke a response but that's okay because it produced a reaction. Well guess what buddy my post may have been long but it certain produced a reaction from you.
Both, don't try to draw the conversation out to gather evidence. What I had said originally.
You want to point how my intent interwines with another player in another game I think that gives me a ton of rights to show you throwing crap up again.
They don't try to draw out the conversation to gather evidence and, instead, they attempt to convince other players of a position."
Oh look back to the old standby again I answered that I was drawing out conversation. Showed that I ased questions and so far nothing I can find in my post shows me convincing anyone of anything.
I still don't think that you were asking those questions with any intent in mind to actually get answers in your original post.
Tell me how this isn't scummy now?
Basically, just because he was more concise than you, it doesn't mean that his intent was any different.
Back to the intent of a player.
far wrote:Which I never used those words like Dour did and I showed reason's I found your logic and case faulty on EB.
Dour showed reasons, he found my backing off a person to be suspicious, as well as parts of my tone, which he indicated. Difference of specific words doesn't count for much when it comes to intent of writing
Again this doesn't seem right. he wants to down play the case I laid out by comparing it to what Dour did saying tone and intent doesnt' change anything.

So basically for the reading impaired:

Cases from mag on far: go from not asking question, not provoking a response to intent to have him lynched and back and forth among the 3 over and over again completely ignoring his own comments he makes about intent.
Ignores questions asked and saying their rhetorical. Saying his intent because of a small post is to push conversation but mine didn't even though my post clearly did do that
Now magnus as held most dear to the intent word like a shield which in fact of the defination and my own knowlegdge of what I was saying and why I said it which god knows do I need to say again why I showed the case in the first place? intent is simply a feeling based on a post that has no evidence (IE gut) and I'm sure I could say till I'm blue in the face that my case is valid it marked with questions, comments and show's someone making a weak case off of a joke comment.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 am

Post by Jack »

But farside, I agree with magnus about his impression of your post (my disagreement about the time was over the use of the word rhetorical). Does that make me mafia too?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am

Post by farside22 »

Jack wrote:But farside, I agree with magnus about his impression of your post (my disagreement about the time was over the use of the word rhetorical). Does that make me mafia too?
How does my post show intent?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 am

Post by farside22 »

Does that make me mafia? Was my intent to evade your question because I didn't like it? After what you have said about magnus, how could you argue that this was scummy without being hypocritical?
I answered your question. If there is a question you feel I missed please point it out.
And I find you a hypocrite for saying I didnt' answer the question right away even with it 10 minutes later.
So are you going to avoid every question at this point and continue to protect magnus for no reason then I would call you scum together and EB's comment about scum bussing and retracting looking more likely since you have completely backed off of magnus and using condensation as a key to scum hunting.
Last edited by farside22 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 am

Post by farside22 »

Regardless of whether you thought it was scummy that I skipped your question, do you see the problem with insisting that magnus has to show intent? Ultimately most cases come down to gut, and the best you can do as explanation is point to what triggered your gut and give an approximate explanation.
I already did the above. But thanks so much for letting me know your are not reading my comments at all now.
But I don't use gut. I used the game and the argument between EB and magnus to provide a case on magnus. Or did you miss that case where I say post 40 is a joke vote and magnus push makes no sense. His constant hammering of a point is mute and not really understanding mostly if he is voting EB for his joke vote or his opinion of primate.

You know what my gut says to something I see like that. mmm that looks like scum pushing a crap case and while making others look bad in their views.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am

Post by Jack »

farside22 wrote:
Jack wrote:But farside, I agree with magnus about his impression of your post (my disagreement about the time was over the use of the word rhetorical). Does that make me mafia too?
How does my post show intent?
How does anything show anything? If I showed you a picture of someone and asked you if they were fake smiling or real smiling you could answer, but don't you think you'd have trouble describing why?

At this point, the biggest strike against you in my book (outside of the jester thing which is dependent on TF being mafia) is that it's a stretch to me to think that you would find magnus's accusation of you as scummy as you claim too. Scummier than someone you thought could be a jester.

It would be as if you'd never seen a townie make a case you really disagreed with.

I suppose I would have to do a meta read, but that's a lot of work, I don't want to...
farside22 wrote:
I answered your question. If there is a question you feel I missed please point it out.
And I find you a hypocrite for saying I didnt' answer the question right away even with it 10 minutes later.
So are you going to avoid every question at this point and continue to protect magnus for no reason then I would call you scum together and EB's comment about scum bussing and retracting looking more likely since you have completely backed off of magnus and using considations as a key to scum hunting.
I'm glad to see your cards on the table...I don't understand the first part though. We were talk about me evading questions, not you.
Farside wrote:You know what my gut says to something I see like that. mmm that looks like scum pushing a crap case and while making others look bad in their views.
And where do his posts show that intent? You are literally being blatantly hypocritical in the same set of posts where you call magnus hypocritical and say you would blacklist any hypocritical townies.

This game is turning into a marsh here, can we lynch ToonFighter? What do you think about lynching toonfighter farside?
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am

Post by Jack »

Game is too much jack-magnus-farside-EB at this point. I propose we lay off each other for the next 2 pages. Even if you are convinced of the scum to be found in here, you surely don't object to taking the time to look for other scum.
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am

Post by magnus_orion »

I'll try to address the main point before addressing some of the more minor points farside brings up in her huge post.

So, basically your argument is that I did this:
go from not asking question, not provoking a response to intent to have him lynched and back and forth among the 3 over and over again completely ignoring his own comments he makes about intent.
And this is where you say my argument has changed over time, in that it has changed between these three different iterations.

In response to this, I draw your attention to my original post.
Farside's post doesn't show an attempt to continue a conversation with me in order to gain evidence to further gauge my alignment. Instead, its written with a purpose to convince other people to follow his ideas.
This part which you conveniently cut out of your long post when you gave my original argument.
You see, its not all three, the "questions" bit has been played up since it is the most physical, but the least applicable of the three. The main point is the other two, which are BOTH my case. With respect to the questions, it isn't necessary that questions not be asked for my tell to be applied, just that those questions are just part of the overarching effort to show someone is suspicious.

I'll try to make this as clear as I can:
The essential part is this
Farside's post doesn't show an attempt to continue a conversation with me in order to gain evidence to further gauge my alignment. Instead, its written with a purpose to convince other people to follow his ideas.
After this part, a bit more fluffy dumbed down explanation followed involving "questions" to make the idea simpler to comprehend.

You said it yourself, your post
show's someone making a weak case off of a joke comment.

You were just trying to push a position. Your post's intent was to show someone making a weak case off a joke comment. You wanted to persuade people that this was true, as well as that the actions were scummy, hence the vote. The questions were part of that, hence they were for the purpose of rhetoric, (rhetoric is speaking with the intent to persuade). Or in other words, they were rhetorical questions. And since they were rhetorical, they may as well have been statements, as rhetorical questions serve the same purpose as statements.

so despite your case being valid, despite your case having questions, despite that it shows what you claim it shows about me, it still is written with the pure intent to push a position.
Which is why this applies:
Which is why my case has been consistent.
his game is turning into a marsh here, can we lynch ToonFighter?
Personally, I'd prefer he answer my question before he be lynched, and a few more people get to posting before the day were to end.

Dattebayo
Show
Win-Loss
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 am

Post by magnus_orion »

Jack wrote:Game is too much jack-magnus-farside-EB at this point. I propose we lay off each other for the next 2 pages. Even if you are convinced of the scum to be found in here, you surely don't object to taking the time to look for other scum.
yes, this could be a problem, I agree to the proposition. I won't speak any more for a while.

Dattebayo
Show
Win-Loss
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Jack wrote:Your argument here would lead you to conclude that for any null tell, you must either consider it a townie tell or a scum tell. Although to be specific, I'm not claiming it's always a null tell (that would be quite a statement!) I'm just saying I don't think it's a tell either way in this case. That is concrete.
So...it's not always a null tell, could be a tell either way, but you don't think it is. I'm gonna have to maintain not so much concrete - you could wiggle a truck through that, there's so much room.

I can't really unravel the first sentence there. So I'll repeat my statement in hopes of a clearer response:

-You disagreed that people flipping wagons is a tell.
-You implied I am scum because I flipped wagons.

Please reconcile these facts. Thank you.
magnus_orion wrote:I try to use words that I attach very specific meaning to as an effort to reduce misunderstanding and lessen the ability of others to exploit ambiguity.
Excellent to know. Let's examine a microcosm of your play.

So when you posted this:
magnus_orion wrote:you felt it was better to save it for a time when you could use it to try to better manipulate public action/opinion, rather than actually use it just to express your own opinion.
...you used the word 'manipulate' to attach a
very specific meaning
. You didn't choose 'influence', 'assist', or 'guide', which are very similar but have vastly different undertones.

Now, since the slightly different line "you could use it to try to better
guide
public action/opinion" would not be a tell against me - indeed, would make me sound more town - there must have been a reason for your word choice.

So is there some
fact
behind my lack of vote that you have yet to bring forward? You've heard my logic; you have evidence of how I cast my vote to guide the game's focus. Yet you haven't said how it helped scum or hurt town, despite being asked to, while I've given several reasons for the opposite. Can you provide evidence beyond repeating the word 'manipulate' to support your case?

Otherwise I'm left to continue in my belief that the only accusation behind your case is your own language; attempting to cast suspicion for your own agenda, rather than my actions. Ironically, a glaring example of the same sort of manipulation you're attempting to pin on me, and you've used this same sort of attack to imply that other players stating cases and giving evidence are somehow scummy for it.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”