Newbie 906 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Oh, by the way...

I'm qualified to be an IC. Technically ^.^

I /in as SE due to confidence issues and the like.
don't you feel silly now?
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

Right, so I'm not so great at scumtelling, but Ray, you are acting
awfully
defensive right off for someone who's really only been offhandedly accused. Just saying.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Defensiveness is not a scumtell.

Unless you have meta that determines the difference for the player in question between over/under defensive (them being scum) or just defensive (them being town).

You lack that meta on my personality, so you can't really say for yourself whether or not this is my standard of play or if this is a town/scum tell.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

You're right in that, having not played with you before, I cannot tell if this is just your normal standard of play. However, in my personal opinion, continuing to defend yourself as much as you have seems slightly suspicious to me. Note that I'm not using this to vote for you. After all, this could just be another example of your
erratic
behavior or whatnot.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Post by Kison »

Day One: Vote Count

Skill006 (
) : RayFrost
RayFrost (
) : Skill006, PranaDevil

Not Voting (
) : redbox, Apathy, kelyn, jmurph3, PaltryExcuse, fuzzylightning

With
alive, it will take
votes to lynch.

The day's deadline is currently set to:
February 24th, 2010, 11:59:59 PM, EDT

RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Mhmmm...

You really should read the games I've provided. Quite nice reads, really.

Anyway, shouting out a scumteam of skill006 and pran, any betters? Returns are 2:1!
kelyn
kelyn
Townie
kelyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Post by kelyn »

Thanks for the advice Paltry.

vote: PaltryExcuse

This maybe should have been on Ray, but I am putting it on you. Ray has been very talkative and is an SE. While you are an SE and aren't being very talkative maybe it is to "Stay under the Radar". I don't know which is more common for SE's since I have never played on this site, but maybe it is just a personality thing. Anyways, thanks.

----------

Sorry for this mistake jmurph. I never know Carmen carried a gun. The only exposure I have ever had to her was the TV show on Nickelodeon I think.
-Kelyn
kelyn
kelyn
Townie
kelyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Post by kelyn »

I never *knew*, sorry for the grammatical error.
-Kelyn
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

Haha, on the show, Carmen never carried a gun. But let's be honest. Even Carmen Sandiego needs protection every now and again as an innocent townsperson. :D
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by PaltryExcuse »

kelyn wrote:Thanks for the advice Paltry.

vote: PaltryExcuse

This maybe should have been on Ray, but I am putting it on you. Ray has been very talkative and is an SE. While you are an SE and aren't being very talkative maybe it is to "Stay under the Radar". I don't know which is more common for SE's since I have never played on this site, but maybe it is just a personality thing. Anyways, thanks.

----------

Sorry for this mistake jmurph. I never know Carmen carried a gun. The only exposure I have ever had to her was the TV show on Nickelodeon I think.
It's a personality tell. The rate of Ray's posting is hugely above average site-wide.

On defensiveness: I like it in townies, so long as they also go after people (in other words, scum hunt). Secondly, I already mentioned that Ray was in my game and went down fighting as town. Defensiveness for him is not a scumtell in my minimal experience with him.

@jmurph3: How is RayFrost being defensive? Give a post and maybe an idea of what you think a townie would do in his position.

@kelyn: Answer my question from before: Who's response were/are you looking forward to the most?
Also, do you believe lurking to be a scum tell?
fuzzylightning
fuzzylightning
Goon
fuzzylightning
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Post by fuzzylightning »

In my opinion, defensiveness is good so long as you are defending yourself correctly. There is a point, and its different for everyone, and it becomes too much and makes you look scummy. Also, when you are on the defensive, don't just worry about defending yourself. A great player is one who, while defending themselves well, they can also competently scumhunt and progress the town.

Meta, is also a personal thing on how it is used. Personally, I don't like to use it because they are playing in this game, and not other ones. Over time people learn how to play better and how to mask there play more, so relying solely on meta is a poor choice, but it can help you get a feel for a player. So in closing, I will look at previous games to get an idea of how they play normally, but meta will not be the basis of any case that I make
2-1 as Town (including the 39 minute final day)
0-1 as Mafia
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Post by RayFrost »

My rate of posting is so high I have the highest Post Per Day (PPD) average across the site, so yeh...

comparing my # of posts to anybody else (except, maybe, ythan) is ridiculous.
redbox
redbox
Townie
redbox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Post by redbox »

This is all pretty overwhelming for a first time player.

I don't get how asking me if I like movies will prove anything but yeah, some, but I'm not a movie nut.

The only thing that really strikes me about all this so far is it seems to me it usually turns out (IRL) that the guy who talks the most has something to hide.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Woohoo, I have somethin' to hide because I am posting a lot!

Now back that up with a little logic, my red friend.

How does posting a lot decrease the likelihood of me getting caught if I'm scum?
kelyn
kelyn
Townie
kelyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Post by kelyn »

PaltryExcuse wrote:@kelyn: Answer my question from before: Who's response were/are you looking forward to the most?
Also, do you believe lurking to be a scum tell?
Sorry I must have missed this question.

I was looking forward to yours mostly to be honest. I am all about learning as much as I can about this game, especially since it is my first here. Getting good ideas to find mafia is a big help.

I think ACTIVE lurking is a scum tell, especially if people are helping the town at all with short posts. If people just don't get on that may mean that they are just not interested in the game (IMO), which could be a tell of a Vanilla.

Going to bed. Be back tomorrow night after classes. Good night.
-Kelyn
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Upon review kelyn, you say this about your vote:
kelyn wrote:This maybe should have been on Ray, but I am putting it on you.
Why should your vote have been on Ray?
fuzzylightning
fuzzylightning
Goon
fuzzylightning
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Post by fuzzylightning »

@redbox: You say that the person who talks the most,
in real life
, has the most to hide, well that may be true, but this is mafia in a forum setting, so the criteria on the person talking the most is different. I don't think talking a lot is necessarily a scum tell, however, talking a lot but saying nothing is, and I think a lot of people get tripped up here. My belief is quality>quantity. Some people might have a high volume of posts and those posts may be full of useful information on other players that generate discussion and help us find scum, while others may have a high volume of posts to clutter up the thread and discourage people from trying to figure out what they are saying, which is likely nothing. In that case, I would say the first set of people are more likely to be town because they are genuinely trying to help the town while the latter group is most likely scum because scum wants to cause misdirection and try to stifle discussion. I am also more inclined to look at someone who maybe hasn't posted as much as they should or could because it is harder to slip up when you aren't saying much.

@kelyn: What about a person who might not have a lot to say in the beginning because they are trying to figure out what it is they want to say? Would you advocate lynching a player because they may be "actively lurking" on D1 but have shown in the past that in later days they are more active? If the answer to the above question was no, what if it was close to deadline and it was that or a no-lynch?
2-1 as Town (including the 39 minute final day)
0-1 as Mafia
kelyn
kelyn
Townie
kelyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 am

Post by kelyn »

PaltryExcuse wrote:Why should your vote have been on Ray?
When I made the vote it was because Ray's hyper active posting style was the only thing that really stuck out as scummy so far in the game, and since you both are SE's the totally varying play styles seemed a little off color as well.

I now realize that my second argument is a bad one (That you all vary in play styles so one of you could be mafia). The first one (RF being a very active poster) probably is not a scum tell either, since like stated before he always posts a lot. That was my logic then, now I am not convinced it should be on him.

@ Paltry - Why do you ask? Do you agree my vote should be with him?

unvote, Vote: PranaDevil

luzzylightning wrote:@kelyn: What about a person who might not have a lot to say in the beginning because they are trying to figure out what it is they want to say? Would you advocate lynching a player because they may be "actively lurking" on D1 but have shown in the past that in later days they are more active? If the answer to the above question was no, what if it was close to deadline and it was that or a no-lynch?
I would say that lurking is more of a scum tell later on in the game, more so than day 1. If some one is just skating by without saying too much, not trying to actually catch scum. You are right, Day 1 lurking is not always a scum tell, but if it continues it may be. If it came down to that or a no-lynch after 2.5 weeks, I would say lynch the lurker. They aren't helping us find the scum, they very well could be scum.
-Kelyn
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Hold on kelyn... why have I suddenly been given your vote? Either you're chopping and changing for no reason, or you have a reason which you're not sharing with the town.

I do, however, agree with your point that someone not saying much at all D1 (this is on the condition we get further than just RVS, and actually begin the scumhunt) may well be scum, but by the same token, someone who talks a lot could be. Plus someone might just post occasionally due to not being online much and therefore not be able to post loads.

Of course if someone's entire contribution is to vote and nothing more, especially with no reason, it's possible they are scum (at least in a newb game as they might not be sure what to do).

I'm also loath to say this as part of me thinks you are extremely new (though I would strongly advise reading up on some games prior to play personally) and therefore want to just get information, but you could also have done lots of reading up and have taken the "I'm extremely new and know nothing about the game" to try and take us all for a ride to perhaps cover any tracks you may be leaving.

It leaves me with a 50/50 choice of going for a kelyn lynch (based off the weird change of votes, and the the possibility of acting very new thanks to the fact we're all new here).

I'm keeping my vote on Ray for now, but I'm considering a change to kelyn. Thus far.
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:50 am

Post by Apathy »

Okay, this is not necessarily in order of happening, but bear with me:

@Kelyn - My apathy is a disguise for the master workings going on behind my eyes. Dont be fooled, because I'll put you on your toes when you least expect it :)

@RF - Okay, here we go! (said in a mario vioce, btw)
Only problem with this is... I could be doing what I'm doing to cause what I'm causing. /genius
WIFOM. Pretty sloppy if you are truly as experienced as you say.
This time, I'm town, how about you?
but I'm also working towards my win condition (obv, I'm town), so yeh
If you are town your win condition is to find mafia, but conversely, if you are mafia, your win condition is to kill the town. Exploring the option I find most viable currently, that you are mafia, I would say your win condition would be ultimately achieved by convincing the town that you are one of them, and using that stance to push lynches on other innocents. So far (im only quoting as far as p.1) you have tried twice to convince us that you are town.... And you know how it goes: repeat something enough and people start to believe it.
RayFrost wrote:
jmurph3 wrote:Sooo...do we have any suspicions to start the day off? :wink:
Vote Apathy with meh and be a cool kid! 8-)
A silly harmless joke, or a backhanded attempt to start an early bandwagon? Could be translated as either.
Obviously, you are scum that is stretching to come up with a good reason to vote me off now that I'm town!
This is the 3rd person you've accused of being scum within 2 pages.
How does posting a lot decrease the likelihood of me getting caught if I'm scum?
Posting a lot of valuable information would make me lean towards you being town, however you've mostly been switching votes based on nothing, acting defensively, and randomly accusing people with no logic or backing. If you were making a lot of posts saying "x player is scum AND HERES WHY" maybe I would be less suspicious of you, but as for right now:

FoS: RayFrost

Also
You fear my mighty scumhunting
A lot of people fear the boogeyman, closet monsters, and Santa Claus too but that doesnt mean they exists, either :)

Sry for the lack of avatar, I'll get one shortly. If you need a good way to tell that its me posting, just look for lots of logic and sound evidence, usually coupled with several quotes and a lengthy post... Good indicators ;)
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 am

Post by Apathy »

Please fix the quotes Mod ^

ty <3

Fixed.
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 am

Post by Apathy »

Also, 1 other correlation I didnt notice until now:
RayFrost wrote:Obviously, you are scum that is stretching to come up with a good reason to vote me off now that I'm town!
Apathy wrote:repeat something enough and people start to believe it.

Im starting to lose count!!!
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 am

Post by Apathy »

Man, I fail at quoting. Can you fix that one too please mod? I'll give you a bigger heart for all the work Im making you do

<33333

Fixed.
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 am

Post by Apathy »

lol avatar fail?
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 am

Post by Apathy »

Edit: ahh thats better. + Im done posting until I get some feedback :)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”