[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1250 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:15 am

Post by Max »

No, as that is unfair to people who have lives...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1251 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:15 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I agree with ortolan; it slightly rewards certainty. However I would be slightly worried about timezone bias; is there any reason Hunters couldn't put in their choice before nightfall?
Retired as of October 2014.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1252 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 am

Post by ortolan »

I see no good reason they couldn't "optionally" do that, no.
Max wrote:No, as that is unfair to people who have lives...
Um...so is the fact that catching scum (or pulling a good gambit as scum) usually requires a fair bit of mental attention. It might be *random*, or *timezone-biased*, as Flay pointed out, but I don't see it as systematically disadvantaging people who "have lives", whatever that means; at least not more so than they usually are in the context of a mafia game.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1253 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:02 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I think the flaw with "first to send in the action after nightfall" is that if nightfall begins when someone is at work, and wouldn't be able to post until they get home, then that person is at a disadvantage unfairly, purely for having a job at those hours (as opposed to someone in a different timezone, or someone unemployed). Hence why random would be fairer.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1254 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:32 am

Post by farside22 »

PranaDevil wrote:I think the flaw with "first to send in the action after nightfall" is that if nightfall begins when someone is at work, and wouldn't be able to post until they get home, then that person is at a disadvantage unfairly, purely for having a job at those hours (as opposed to someone in a different timezone, or someone unemployed). Hence why random would be fairer.
I agree with this and think random is better idea.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1255 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:04 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I really don't like a single random diceroll deciding Win/Lose, and having to both hold your shot and lose the scum you correctly identified seems overly harsh. Is there a reason they can't both win on the same Scum, and both exit?
Retired as of October 2014.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1256 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:12 am

Post by Herodotus »

Mr. Flay wrote:I really don't like a single random diceroll deciding Win/Lose, and having to both hold your shot and lose the scum you correctly identified seems overly harsh. Is there a reason they can't both win on the same Scum, and both exit?
That was how I was seeing it, originally. The mod randomly choosing bit is optional. Part of the idea was to keep the town on odd numbers at the end of each night, but there are already other ways that could be interrupted.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1257 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 am

Post by farside22 »

Herodotus wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:I really don't like a single random diceroll deciding Win/Lose, and having to both hold your shot and lose the scum you correctly identified seems overly harsh. Is there a reason they can't both win on the same Scum, and both exit?
That was how I was seeing it, originally. The mod randomly choosing bit is optional. Part of the idea was to keep the town on odd numbers at the end of each night, but there are already other ways that could be interrupted.
I really like this idea lets work out what is best and I will have it up next time I do sign ups for the open games.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1258 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Post by Adel »

Aldus Mafia

3 Mafia Goons
1 Doctor
1 Roleblocker
1 Aldus
5 Townies

Daystart

AldusYou are Aldus. If you are lynched you will not die until the next day, a moment before that day's lynch goes through. Exception: if Nk'd you will still die.

You win with the town.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #1259 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:41 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Oh, that's what you meant, Adel? :/

Personally I don't think it really is a big deal if only one of the roles has the ability, because then you know who it is. I was thinking it'd be more interesting if the lynch AND THE FLIP were delayed a whole extra day, giving you some concrete information (this person is going to die) but not all of it (their flip.)

I don't want to run the numbers right now but I'm gonna assume even balances better and whip up a little mock up:

Slow Rusty Guillotine Mafia

2 Mafia Goons
1 Maifa Roleblocker
1 Town Tracker
1 Town Doctor
1 One-Shot Impatient Vigilante
6 Townies

Special Lynch MechanicWhen a majority is reached on someone, the mod will announce such and the day will end. However, the person in question will not be dead (and their alignment will not be revealed) until the end of the next day, when a new majority is reached on someone. You cannot no-lynch in Slow Rusty Guillotine Mafia. When a majority is reached on someone, they cannot use any night actions but are otherwise unaffected.

Exception: If two scum are dead and a majority is reached on the third scum, the game will end.

New Role: One-Shot Impatient VigilanteThis guillotine is so slow...sometime you just gotta know, y'know? That's why you brought your gun along to the festivities. No need to wait for a slow old blade, right? And hey, he was gonna die anyway...so really, you didn't kill a guy at all. You've only got one shot, though, so make it count.

At any point during the day, you may PM the moderator saying that you want to use your ability. You will instantly kill the player who a majority was reached on the previous day. This ability will not reveal who the vigilante is. You only get one use of this ability.

You win with the town.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
bouncy.bouncy
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1260 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Post by bouncy.bouncy »

2 goons
godfather
roleblocker
----------------
8 vanilla
cop
doc
bomber (each night, turns somebody into a bomb for the night)

I call it "flat mafia"
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1261 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by ortolan »

hitogoroshi wrote:Oh, that's what you meant, Adel? :/

Personally I don't think it really is a big deal if only one of the roles has the ability, because then you know who it is. I was thinking it'd be more interesting if the lynch AND THE FLIP were delayed a whole extra day, giving you some concrete information (this person is going to die) but not all of it (their flip.)

I don't want to run the numbers right now but I'm gonna assume even balances better and whip up a little mock up:

Slow Rusty Guillotine Mafia

2 Mafia Goons
1 Maifa Roleblocker
1 Town Tracker
1 Town Doctor
1 One-Shot Impatient Vigilante
6 Townies

Special Lynch MechanicWhen a majority is reached on someone, the mod will announce such and the day will end. However, the person in question will not be dead (and their alignment will not be revealed) until the end of the next day, when a new majority is reached on someone. You cannot no-lynch in Slow Rusty Guillotine Mafia. When a majority is reached on someone, they cannot use any night actions but are otherwise unaffected.

Exception: If two scum are dead and a majority is reached on the third scum, the game will end.

New Role: One-Shot Impatient VigilanteThis guillotine is so slow...sometime you just gotta know, y'know? That's why you brought your gun along to the festivities. No need to wait for a slow old blade, right? And hey, he was gonna die anyway...so really, you didn't kill a guy at all. You've only got one shot, though, so make it count.

At any point during the day, you may PM the moderator saying that you want to use your ability. You will instantly kill the player who a majority was reached on the previous day. This ability will not reveal who the vigilante is. You only get one use of this ability.

You win with the town.
this one deserves consideration (personally I think the altered lynch mechanic is similar to the altered nightkill mechanic I proposed in Delayed Reaction; which was apparently too deviant to be an open game. Not a criticism of your setup but I think neither should be disallowed).
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1262 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:22 am

Post by Herodotus »

farside22 wrote: I really like this idea lets work out what is best and I will have it up next time I do sign ups for the open games.
I don't know what would be best balanced. I tried to simulate 2 mafia, 5 townies, and 2 hunters, but the calculations for the possible NK's became intimidating quickly. My gut says that 2/6/2 or 2/7/2 would give both the town and mafia good chances of winning. I don't think the hunters' probability of winning depends very strongly on the number of townies. The more townies there are, the more they can afford to wait an extra night before making their kill.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1263 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 am

Post by Herodotus »

Never mind, I was wrong about Slow Rusty Guillotine Mafia.
Last edited by Herodotus on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1264 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:21 am

Post by Max »

What about misleading the town into lynching a certain player or appear to be supporting the lynches of your partners'. Induce wifom into the game?
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1265 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Slaxx »

IDK if this has already been suggested, but:

2 Fire Mafia
2 Ice Mafia
1 Flame Retardant Townie (Fire kill immune)
1 Heavily clothed townie (Ice kill immune)
x amount of nilla townies to perfect balance. Mafias are all NK immune.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #1266 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 am

Post by yabbaguy »

Fire and Ice exists already- but with a Doctor instead of specific-bulletproofs.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1267 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 am

Post by Slaxx »

I know fire and ice exists, i was just thinking of a spin-off of it.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #1268 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

I wonder what it would be like if there was a Weak Watcher in that setup (who only sees kill actions). They'll then they would have to deal with the confounding variable of why they didn't die if they're "visited" and stay put.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1269 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Counceling

MAFIA ROLES

1 Lover Pair of Goon-roleblocker

TOWN ROLES

1-2 Lover Pair(s) (Both are Vanilla Townies)
0-2 1-shot Cop(s)
6-7 VT
1 Lawyer (Able to split up Lover-pairs, will not be told if he was sucessful)
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Charnel
Charnel
Mafia Scum
Charnel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1270 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Post by Charnel »

with only 1 lynch needed to be correct, cop's are waaaaay to strong. As the game is already way too easy for town. (just look at the amount of mislynches they have)
one would hardly have joy without another's suffering, no?
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #1271 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

I like the "No I in Team" Hunter game, personally.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1272 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:18 am

Post by farside22 »

yabbaguy wrote:I like the "No I in Team" Hunter game, personally.
I do too. I think 7 townies with 2 mafia and 2 hunters are best in this game but that's just my view.
It looks to be a 11 player game I believe looking at the orginal idea with 2-3 mafia, 2-3 hunters and 5 -7 townies. I think 6 or 7 townies would be best in this game but the idea of 3 hunters makes me shudder for the scum.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1273 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

animorpherv1 wrote:
Counceling

MAFIA ROLES

TOWN ROLES

1-2 Lover Pair(s) (Both are Vanilla Townies)
0-2 1-shot Cop(s)
6-7 VT
1 Lawyer (Able to split up Lover-pairs, will not be told if he was sucessful)
While I like the lawyer role, I don't see its being useful - splitting up the mafia lovers significantly lowers town's chances of winning, and isn't worth saving one townie by splitting the town lovers.

This also has the possibility of a D1 win, which I generally dislike.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1274 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Let's try this again.

Mafia roles

1 Godfather

town roles

1-2 Lover Pairs (both are VTs)
0-2 Cops (If 2, 1 is either random or paranoid)
2-4 VT
1 Lawyer (does same as last time, not told if right)
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”