Mr. Black
Mr. Black
Townie
Mr. Black
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1700 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am

Post by Mr. Black »

Great, then let's get this party started. Your first deadline is one week from today. February 21st, 5 PM EST.
You brought this on yourself, you know.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1701 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

I suggest that all of us add the following to our signatures:

The players of
Chess Mafia
are self-modding the remainder of the game. We are looking for a few replacements to finish things up. No rereading necessary- just a commitment to maintain the game's integrity. If this sounds interesting, post
/in to replace
in the game thread!
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1702 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Right, 255. Okay, try this instead:

Chess Mafia is now being player-modded, and we need a few replacements. No rereading necessary, just integrity. "/in to replace" in the game thread if interested!
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1703 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Post by Herodotus »

I don't like those rules. I'd prefer a real mod, and longer (2 week) deadlines.
But if I'm the only one, I'll consent so that we can get the game moving.

I had to shorten the sig to keep the game I'm modding listed, but I think this will suffice:
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1704 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We'd all like to have a real mod, and preferably, not have to deal with deadlines at all. But we'd also like to get this game done with before it hits two years and MeMe dies of apoplexy.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1705 (ISO) » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

I believe this is current:
Movecount

Re8
(Indigo Heron, Abstract Actuary, Sudo_Nym)
Qxf3
(Herodotus, veerus, EmpTyger)

Also, note that I'm going V/LA tomorrow morning, and will be until Thursday or Friday.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1706 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Post by veerus »

looks like i'm a bit late to the party but the current structure significantly favors black until we get a full game (which is why i'm glad mssk didn't enforce his deadlines)... currently we're at what, 6 active players? 2 of whom are likely black, which means they can effectively derail any proposed move and hope for the wrong move to be chosen by the mod at deadline... the same mod who's also one of the black players and has a huge conflict of interest with choosing the move
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
-Fight Club
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1707 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Seems like a very good reason for us to be pushing for replacements.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1708 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Post by veerus »

Sudo_Nym wrote:Seems like a very good reason for us to be pushing for replacements.
Yes, and a very bad reason to have any deadlines until we do.

FYI, this is my only game at the moment that's why my signature doesn't have the replacement plea.
-Fight Club
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1709 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So you'd rather we sit here and do nothing until we find people willing to replace into this behemoth? That'll just make MeMe look the place down.
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1710 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 am

Post by Abstract Actuary »

I was going to refrain from commenting until we figured out our administrative plan, but I think we should try to push the game along. If we can trade down and eliminate their attacking chances then I think Black will resign.
veerus wrote:And AA, in the 2nd scenario, pretty sure 37. Re8 is the right move with Kd3 as the escape after Bg5.
They would play Rxd4 before they played Bg5, which is why we play Qxd5 instead of Re8. After Re8 Rxd4+ we are in some serious trouble.

EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1711 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

Post by EmpTyger »

[Just got back- will look at actual chessy things later tonight.]

veerus:
I mean, if there's a 4 white : 2 black setup, *any* structure is going to be challenging in that way for white. I don't think "do nothing until we convince 3 players to replace in" is reasonable. (Especially since I'm not sure it's a given that we are getting replacements.) If you have a better plan, propose it. This one lets us play, and I feel is reasonable for both sides.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1712 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

For that matter, we don't even know for sure that both black players are active; it could be 5:1, which is more in our favor.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1713 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Post by veerus »

I understand that replacements won't come easy. My concern is with a deadlocked position where we're split 3-3 and one person - a black player - is making the final decision. Sudo, I do not believe this is a 5:1 scenario. With 1 black player, I do not believe we would've had week-long nights up to this point.

AA, you're right. I saw that line earlier but forgot about it when making my last post. Re8 definitely looks more promising now that some analysis has been done but I am worried about passed pawns when the non-pawn piece ratio is not 1:1. Unfortunately further analysis of Qxf3 definitely lacks the punch I originally thought it had which means that Re8 is likely the only viable option.

move: Re8
-Fight Club
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1714 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 am

Actually I think one active black player could definitely cause the long nights. He sends something out, waits a few days before his black counterpart (who is largely inactive in the thread) responds with their analysis, then they make the move, a few painstaking exchanges later. Also, another possible culprit which makes any speculation pretty pointless is that the mod was just inactive about ending night.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1715 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:54 am

Post by EmpTyger »

I don't think it's the only viable option- in fact, I think they're pretty equivalent, but Re8 forces more trading.
Unmove: Qxf3, move: Re8

Movecount
:
5 Re8
(Indigo Heron, Abstract Actuary, Sudo_Nym, veerus, EmpTyger)
1 Qxf3
(Herodotus)

So that's a lynch.

veerus:
Can we please get into the habit of posting a new movecount whenever anyone votes or unvotes a move?

And regardless of whether it's 4:2 or 5:1, the point is that white must not be advantaged by consensus not being reached. Setting aside the fairness issue, it removes the incentive for white to attempt to reach consensus.
Mr. Black
Mr. Black
Townie
Mr. Black
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1716 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 am

Post by Mr. Black »

And here I was looking forward to picking the move.

34. Re8 is the move, and now we shall deliberate.
Mr. Black
Mr. Black
Townie
Mr. Black
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1717 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

Post by Mr. Black »

We have selected 34. ... Bg5+. It is now day, deadline is set for 5 PM EST, February 28th.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1718 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Post by Herodotus »

move Kd3

or Kd1. I don't think it matters, but in the back row the black rook could potentially threaten the king.

Move Count:
Kd3 (1):
Herodotus
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #1719 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by Thok »

/in to replace
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1720 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Definitely not Kd1- then it's fxe2+ instead of fxe2.
Move Kd3

Move Count

Kd3 (2):
Herodotus, EmpTyger

Thok:
This is a perfect game for us, isn't it- no lynching or nightkills to end any intense argument that might put us at each others' throats. Welcome aboard! Black will be PMing you your alignment.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1721 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Post by Thok »

EmpTyger wrote:Thok:
This is a perfect game for us, isn't it- no lynching or nightkills to end any intense argument that might put us at each others' throats. Welcome aboard! Black will be PMing you your alignment.
Have you implemented something so I know which of the three people I will be replacing? Not that it matters for anything but continuity sake.

For the record, I've actually read about 30 or so pages of the game in the last day or so, but more for amusement value than anything once I knew about the chess game=win condition stuff. For obvious reasons, I won't be saying anything about the chess game until I actually know my alignment.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1722 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Post by Thok »

I've gotten a role PM, and I'm replacing ZazieR.

Move Kd3
, as per EmpTyger's explanation of why Kd1 is bad. Ke1 is essentially us saying we want 3 move repetition, and anything else seems to lose material.

Move Count

Kd3 (3):
Herodotus, EmpTyger, Thok
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1723 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:43 am

Mr. Black, can you continue to post the board after each move. I'm still having trouble with the R1e2 move that it won't allow, but the workaround I used earlier does the trick. So you can start with this, if you'd like.

We have to play Kd3 here.
Move: Kd3

Move Count

Kd3 (4): Herodotus, EmpTyger, Thok, Abstract Actuary
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1724 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 am

Post by Thok »

Abstract Actuary wrote:Mr. Black, can you continue to post the board after each move. I'm still having trouble with the R1e2 move that it won't allow, but the workaround I used earlier does the trick. So you can start with this, if you'd like.
Mr. Black appears to be updating the board in the first post. (He hasn't updated the player list yet.)

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”