[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Post by ortolan »

ElectricBadger wrote:
ortolan wrote:
Follow The Cop

9 players

2x mafia goons
1x cop
2x beloved princess millers
4x vanilla townies

cop head start

edit: beloved princesses only give the scum an extra kill, the cop only gets one investigation. They only trigger doublekill if they are lynched, not nightkilled.
So basically a nerfed cop and potential double-kills for the mafia. It's a REALLY brutal scenario for town. Two mislynched BP's = 6 dead townies = probable scum win. Assuming one scum fake claims, town has a 2/3*1/2=33% chance of ending in such a situation, without even addressing the other scum.

I think removing the BP's and having them just millers would be a much better balance.
I don't think it's as harsh on town as you make out. When a princess gets wagoned they are going to claim princess. When a scum gets wagoned they are going to claim either princess or VT. That's all part of the WIFOM- if someone claims princess you're taking a big risk by lynching them, but if the town is scumhunting well they should be able to see past that and lynch based on actual scummy behaviour.

Also remember that if the cop gets an innocent result then that player is a confirmed innocent VT. When they get a guilty they can decide based on the person's behaviour whether they are more likely to be scum or princess.
Elmo wrote:
ortolan wrote:
Follow The Cop
Should probably be run at least once for sheer comedy value.

Bonus points if you make the princess millers bulletproof.
That would be funny but it would probably further disadvantage the town and lead to no-kill WIFOM situations (if there's no kill the town will wonder if the scum nokilled or if they targeted a princess, and they will speculate as to who the kill was directed at) which aren't very enjoyable to play through in my opinion.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 am

Post by Elmo »

For all of the 3 seconds I spent thinking about it, I thought that would lean more towards town, I would just take the free investigation and be happy. Just curious what your perspective is?
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Post by ortolan »

Elmo wrote:For all of the 3 seconds I spent thinking about it, I thought that would lean more towards town, I would just take the free investigation and be happy. Just curious what your perspective is?
Oh yer, I forgot that would effectively be a free investigation for the cop. In that case another perspective is that it gets very nasty for the scum if a beloved princess claims and is believed. They cannot kill them in any way. If it happens with both it completely screws the scum.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Post by ortolan »

Can you self-nom? Let's see.

Nominate: Follow the Cop

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Post by Elmo »

ortolan wrote:In that case another perspective is that it gets very nasty for the scum if a beloved princess claims and is believed. They cannot kill them in any way. If it happens with both it completely screws the scum.
You're right, in fact it would be optimal for them both just to claim D1 I think. D'oh.

Hm. Isn't that optimal for the original setup, thinking about it? I'm too tired to run numbers. 2x Miller confirmed innocent or scum are forced into {1:2}/{1:5} with a cop out and no chance of false positive guilties either way. Ummm.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Post by ortolan »

If only one scum claims then there's a 66.6% chance of mislynching. The next day if the town chooses to lynch from the first two there's a 50% probability of them losing instantly.

The chances of the cop finding the other scum lying about their claim in that time is too complicated for me to calculate taking into account all possibilites. I don't
think
it's broken though :P.

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:13 am

Post by Elmo »

Yeh, it's not clearly broken. I don't know if it's better or not, but it's probably within the margin where you'll sometimes do better with scumhunting. (Still too lazy to run numbers.)

I figure!

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by ortolan »

Elmo wrote:Yeh, it's not clearly broken. I don't know if it's better or not, but it's probably within the margin where you'll sometimes do better with scumhunting. (Still too lazy to run numbers.)

I figure!
Cheers. I think the numbers are difficult to run because you need to take into account probability of cop investigating one of the three claimaints n0 vs not doing so. It just got too complicated for me :P

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:44 am

Post by farside22 »

wait is it just a one shot cop investigation and since I'm not the familiar with a princess is it an extra kill for the mafia if she is lynched?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 am

Post by Max »

There are two variations:

1. When the Princess is lynched double night
2. When the Princess is killed, double night

In this case I suspect 1
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 am

Post by Elmo »

ortolan wrote:edit: beloved princesses only give the scum an extra kill, the cop only gets one investigation. They only trigger doublekill if they are lynched, not nightkilled.
The Cop is a normal Sane Cop, i.e. investigates every night.
In the case that a Beloved Princess is nightkilled, everything is normal.
In the case that a Beloved Princess is lynched, that night, the Cop gets 1 investigation and the Mafia get 2 nightkills. (Canonically, the town spends the following Day in mourning and hence there is a double night; this is a variant.)

At least that's how I read it.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 am

Post by mith »

Doing some quick pencil-and-paper calculations, here's one strategy. The numbers for the Cop not coming out D1 are obviously a bit more complex (I suspect it's not a good idea for him to wait, though).

Massclaim randomly (or based on early suspicions). Scum shouldn't claim Cop, and should probably split 1 and 1 on BPM/VT claims - because of that, it really doesn't matter what order the claims happen in. The preference would be to have the Cop claim later, so the scum wouldn't have any read on who the Cop might be more likely to investigate.

After the claims, Cop reveals investigation. There's a 1/8 chance the investigation is useful (and I don't think this can be improved - however claims come out, it is clear one scum should claim BPM and the other VT), in the case where the Cop has investigated the scum claiming VT. In this case, you have two chances to hit the other scum, with a 2/3 EV.

If the Cop gets a guilty on a BPM (3/8), you have one confirmed innocent (the Cop), 1 scum hiding with 2 BPMs, 1 scum hiding with 4 VTs (EV = 14/45). If the Cop gets an innocent, you have two confirmed innocents, 1:2 BPM, 1:3 VT (EV = 13/36).

In both cases, you are slightly better off lynching amongst the BPM claims first assuming that scum are forced to kill if the town no lynches in a 1:3 endgame (otherwise, I don't think it matters what order you do it in).

Overall, that gives an EV of 137/360 = 38.1%. Which isn't terrible. This basically falls in the class of "Census" games, though (a known number of scum hiding in different groups of a known number of innocents) - with the particular setup essentially being "selected" through the cop investigation.

(EV if both scum claim BPM is 50%. EV if both scum claim VT is 45%.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:54 am

Post by mith »

Scratch that. Thought of an alternate strategy which is not so boring, and should be an improvement on the above. I've decided against typing it out, in case the game is run and the players want to determine their own strategy.
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 am

Post by yawetag »

I can't find a link to it, so I'll ask here. Is there a list of all approved Open Setup games?
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." --Winston Churchill
"The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all." --John F. Kennedy

Typically only on during the evenings.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 am

Post by ortolan »

yawetag wrote:I can't find a link to it, so I'll ask here. Is there a list of all approved Open Setup games?
I think I've asked that before and got the answer "no". I could be wrong but I think farside basically determines what setups get run, apart from when a setup is nominated for the first time.

yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:10 am

Post by yawetag »

ortolan wrote:I think I've asked that before and got the answer "no". I could be wrong but I think farside basically determines what setups get run, apart from when a setup is nominated for the first time.
Interesting. Seems like we could add the games to the wiki, using an "Open Setup" category.
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." --Winston Churchill
"The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all." --John F. Kennedy

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 am

Post by Vi »

Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:56 am

Post by yawetag »

Now that you link it, I remember the category. My original thought was "Is that all of them, or only the ones on the wiki?"

If farside has a list, which I presume she does, and it's available, I would love to get a copy. I'll work on getting them all into the wiki. It won't be a "single, friendly page," but it will have better navigation than simply looking at the category.

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 am

Post by Vi »

What I meant was that I'm fairly positive that not all of the links inside the category are approved Open setups, so it needs some organization from here.

If there's a setup that's not on the wiki and someone cares about it, someone will make a page for it.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Vi wrote:What I meant was that I'm fairly positive that not all of the links inside the category are approved Open setups, so it needs some organization from here.

If there's a setup that's not on the wiki and someone cares about it, someone will make a page for it.
Right. Category:Open Setups just means it contains an open setup of some kind, not that it's on The ListTM. Probably some sort of Approved Open Setups page would be useful. :)
Retired as of October 2014.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 am

Post by farside22 »

ortolan wrote:
yawetag wrote:I can't find a link to it, so I'll ask here. Is there a list of all approved Open Setup games?
I think I've asked that before and got the answer "no". I could be wrong but I think farside basically determines what setups get run, apart from when a setup is nominated for the first time.
There was at one time. But for now I look at what is here, get some discussion going on the pro's and con's before running the set up.
Most of the games I take are ones that have already been run and approved (when we had a commitee on this).
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 am

Post by farside22 »

yawetag wrote:
Now that you link it, I remember the category. My original thought was "Is that all of them, or only the ones on the wiki?"

If farside has a list, which I presume she does, and it's available, I would love to get a copy. I'll work on getting them all into the wiki. It won't be a "single, friendly page," but it will have better navigation than simply looking at the category.
I have a mental list. But basically the one that Vi linked to is where I get most of the games I use for Open Games. I like to see some variety and before I post it on the wiki I like to see it run.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 am

Post by farside22 »

By the way as for follow the cop I have to wonder if the BP is considered normal?
Mith or Mr.Flay your thoughts on it.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Post by ortolan »

Let's do follow the cop now! :D

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Post by ortolan »

mith wrote:(EV is...50% [or] 45%.)
Looks like we're good to go. Seems like I have a knack for coming up with 50% setups seeing as my other one, true love was exactly 50%.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”