Getting someone modkilled

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am

Post by Elmo »

I've never made it explicit, but being replaced is actually worse than losing in my ruleset. I'll probably make that explicit from now on.
SIR CYANIDE wrote:
Oh Sir keeps thinking he won the game is most laughable. Being replaced in a game doesn't mean you won.
It does to me, so point void.
So you're not actually playing to win, like you implied earlier. There's basically no difference between this and playing to fulfil whatever totally arbitrary goal you happen to define as winning, like being lynched as fast as possible. Fun fact: there's a site rule intended to prevent this behaviour, too! Either play by the rules,
all
the rules, or quit appealing to them.
Herodotus wrote:
SIR CYANIDE wrote:I'm a psychiatrist (and in 1.5 years, hopefully a lawyer as well)
SIR CYANIDE wrote:Date of Birth: 24 Oct 1989
I'm
skeptical
impressed by your rapid progression through medical and law school.
lol, owned.

You know, of all the places to try and pull this stunt, picking a site dedicated to a game based around calling people on their bullshit is maybe the worst possible decision. That's what amuses me most about your contributions to this thread.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elscouta
Elscouta
Goon
Elscouta
Goon
Goon

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 am

Post by Elscouta »

What's the current vote count?

Unvote, Vote: Sir Cyanide
I'm town. Please lynch someone else.
greenindirt
greenindirt
Goon
greenindirt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 am

Post by greenindirt »

Elmo wrote: You know, of all the places to try and pull this stunt, picking a site dedicated to a game based around calling people on their bullshit is maybe the worst possible decision. That's what amuses me most about your contributions to this thread.
I've seen an image before that mocks this sort of trolling. In this comic (hastily made in MSPaint, assuredly) someone (labelled "troll") walks past two other people discussing. The "troll" acts like a retard next to these two and the other two tell the "troll" to fuck off. The "troll" walks away, amused by his antics, and lets out a laugh while saying "the joke was on those two, they thought I was a retard!"

Yeah. That's what this kind of shit is like.
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 am

Post by Maemuki »

Elscouta wrote:What's the current vote count?

Unvote, Vote: Sir Cyanide
Too late, I already daykilled him.

He's still posting though, he should be modkilled~!
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Cyanide, please limit yourself to one "Bah!" style post. Thanks!
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

The purpose of "play to win" is to prevent people from joining games who have no intention of actually playing the game as it was meant to be played, but are rather joining it to troll others or ruin the game for others. Trying to get someone modkilled harms the integrity of the game and ruins the designed balance of the game by lowering one team's initial chance to win in a way that is unintended. I feel like trying to get someone modkilled is actually against the spirit of the "playing to win" rule, because artificially skewing the game balance in your favor is effectively ruining the game, or trying to.

I don't understand why this would be a satisfying way to win, anyway. It bears similarities to cheating in poker. Do people who cheat in poker actually feel satisfied by winning (assuming that $$ is not the reason behind cheating)? The satisfaction in victory (at least for me) comes from outplaying the opposing team, not from making it so the opposing team has no chance of winning. I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain this to me.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am

Post by The Fonz »

farside22 wrote: Don't forget backpeddling
Not a scumtell, and saying it is is scummy. Townies should be willing to change their minds.

Shit, even in MD, FARSIDE IS ALWAYS SCUM. :P
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

Post by mykonian »

TheButtonmen wrote:I'm very agianst all the black listing occuring.

1. He did something.
2. The mod and some players said that it was agianst how mafia was played on MS.
3. He brought it to MD to see if that was the case and discuss it.
4. He gets multiple blacklistings. Wtf?

I think that him bringing it to MD to see the consenus shouldn't be punished at all. So I'll break ranks with everyone and say thanks for caring enough about what your fellow scummers said to actually checking what the general ruling was.
No, he goes further. He actually doesn't care what MD says, he is
showing off
. He thinks he is
brilliant
, and then goes off saying others are wrong, not taking the game seriously enough, and even goes as far as simply using a personal attack to get all of Meamuki's arguments out of the way.

If I have any reason to believe a player would make the game less fun for the other players, I am not going to let him in.
I have eleven others that want a fun game too.

SpyreX wrote:The real issue (and mind you I haven't blacklisted) is #3.

That's not the case. It reeks of coming in looking for praise and then when he didn't get it saying "well, you guys just don't play to win"

And then the misogyny bit too.
I love you.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:42 am

Post by mykonian »

Plus that forcibly being replaced = breaking the rules = fail =/= playing to win.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

The Fonz wrote:
farside22 wrote: Don't forget backpeddling
Not a scumtell, and saying it is is scummy. Townies should be willing to change their minds.

Shit, even in MD, FARSIDE IS ALWAYS SCUM. :P
This is the most important point ITT
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Ythill wrote:
B&B wrote:Congrats, you're banned from all my games due to blatant and unapologetic misogyny. You're not blacklisted for your play style.
In that case, all the people who argued against me in the magick thread are blacklisted for being unrepentant atheists. Mr. Flay and Hoopla are blacklisted for infringing my polyarmory-uniquness, and ABR is blacklisted for being an asian that procrastinates math. Now I need to go surf the "face with a name" thread to find people with blacklistable haircuts.

Seriously, if any one of you is keeping a blacklist based on anything except non-arbitrary gameplay problems (like flaking or cheating), please put my name right at the top.
I don't consider general flaming to be ban-worthy. Otherwise I would have to blacklist a lot of people. When someone makes something more personal and unapologetic-ally crossed one of my
own
lines, then I ban them from my games. It's less of a "oh you're a jerk, you should be banned from mafiascum" than it is "This type of behavior is unacceptable to me and I don't want to mod a game where I have to read this happening." Keep in mind I think I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to offensive behavior.

So far the only lines that I have discovered are misogyny and making fun of mentally challenged people. I'm sure under certain conditions I'd ban over making fun of sexual-preferences.

Makes sense?

Edit: Also many people don't want to play in a game with him, and since I want people to enjoy my games, I don't want him in them.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Post by mykonian »

Ythill, a mod has the option to keep players out of his game. If you are a mod, and your players state that they don't like to play with a certain player, aren't you going to listen?

A mod has only one job, making a fun game for his players. If one player his (partial) goal is to make the game for another player not fun anymore, then that player doesn't fit in that game, and a very good mod should keep him out of it.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

mykonian wrote:A mod has only one job, making a fun game for his players. If one player his (partial) goal is to make the game for another player not fun anymore, then that player doesn't fit in that game, and a very good mod should keep him out of it.
But I don't think that can be fairly assessed until said game has started, unless there is a long history of unrepentant behavior.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Post by Ythill »

B&B wrote:When someone makes something more personal and unapologetic-ally crossed one of my own lines, then I ban them from my games.
I do understand and I don't think you're a bad person or whatever, but I believe that blacklisting people for comments they have made in MD/GD heavily suggests bad modding. I'm not going to go into a long explanation of why, because I don't see any good coming from it. It's just my opinion, sorry you ended up on the wrong end of it. But seriously, please add me to your blacklist.

Please note that I don't intend for this to defend SC or mysogeny.
myko wrote:Ythill, a mod has the option to keep players out of his game.
Agreed. I'm open to doing this myself, for in-game reasons.
If you are a mod, and your players state that they don't like to play with a certain player, aren't you going to listen?
Nope. If someone has personal problems with someone else, it's his responsability to watch the /in list and avoid interactions. I'm not the clique police. Imagine what this site would look like if we took this to the extreme. Personally, I don't care if you're a racist kleptomaniac crack whore that everyone hates. If you are capable of playing by the rules of my games, you are welcome in my games.
A mod has only one job, making a fun game for his players.
I think you're over-simplifying. One of a mod's most important jobs is to remain neutral while designing, interpreting, and applying the rules.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Post by Ythill »

Hey shaft, should we start blacklisting Republicans?
:D
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

Ythill wrote: I do understand and I don't think you're a bad person or whatever, but I believe that blacklisting people for comments they have made in MD/GD heavily suggests bad modding. I'm not going to go into a long explanation of why, because I don't see any good coming from it. It's just my opinion, sorry you ended up on the wrong end of it. But seriously, please add me to your blacklist.
I think I understand and respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. I'm guessing you wouldn't be in favor of restaurants the have the right to refuse serving people.

Sorry, you have absolutely no reason to be blacklisted by me. I don't think you make games unfun and you haven't shown any behavior that I find personally appealing.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

@BridgesAndBallons:
Did you read the game in question or any of his other games before blacklisting him?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Ythill wrote:Hey shaft, should we start blacklisting Republicans?
:D
Oh, I don't blacklist them, I just give them the shitty roles. It's a lot more satisfying.
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

On second thought, I am going to take back what I said about blacklisting him. He will be allowed in, but if he continues to act the way he did in that game and how he has been acting in this thread in any of my games, he will be blacklisted at that time.
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

SIR CYANIDE
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by SIR CYANIDE »

@TBM: I have already shown why all the blacklisting occurred:

This and only this is the reason for the mass blacklisting.

Also, I agree with Ythill.
Your own blood will clean the blood for now
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

If only there were some psychiatrist jargon that would better explain this blacklisting behavior.
SIR CYANIDE
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by SIR CYANIDE »

shaft.ed wrote:If only there were some psychiatrist jargon that would better explain this blacklisting behavior.
Peer pressure? Albeit not very jargon'ish :lol:
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

shaft.ed wrote:If only there were some psychiatrist jargon that would better explain this blacklisting behavior.
Retired as of October 2014.
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Pomegranate »

I am one of the people who backlisted SC. And though I did not read the entire game in question, I read the posts that TQO was modkilled for, and I read the posts SC made, goading him along (it's on page 22 IIRC). And I would never want to have him play in one of my game- seeing what he's done and that he considers it fine, I wouldn't want to risk having something like that happen in my game. Personally, I don't think that I'd be comfortable playing with SC, so why should someone not join my game because he has? Or join, but feel worried of something similar occuring?

Also, I've played with TQO before. And he didn't seem particularly emotional. Yeah.
Show
"You're a silly Pom. Silly silly girl." -Fate

"I didn't want to use you Pom... I never killed you. I didn't endgame you it was my evil buddies!
Sowwy >_<" -scumFate.

"Pom was on my "I will not kill, and I shall seek vengeance upon the death of them" list." -CSL
SIR CYANIDE
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
SIR CYANIDE
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Post by SIR CYANIDE »

Pomegranate wrote:I am one of the people who backlisted SC. And though I did not read the entire game in question, I read the posts that TQO was modkilled for, and I read the posts SC made, goading him along (it's on page 22 IIRC). And I would never want to have him play in one of my game-
seeing what he's done and that he considers it fine, I wouldn't want to risk having something like that happen in my game.
Personally, I don't think that I'd be comfortable playing with SC, so why should someone not join my game because he has? Or join, but feel worried of something similar occuring?

Also, I've played with TQO before. And he didn't seem particularly emotional. Yeah.
And people wonder why I am jokingly-misogynistic? This 'logic' is only found in women.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”