Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #1875 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am

Post by Thok »

Sudo_Nym wrote:That's not a good attitude to have. When life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten...
Meh.

Not that I disagree, but Haylen's comment clearly reflects her chess ability and how people are reacting to it. As a scum tell it is mostly worthless (it ranges from a very slight town tell to a null tell in my opinion.)

If you have any thoughts on d5 versus Qd7 versus Qc5 (although we're probably not going to play that), feel free to discuss them. That said, I'll be moving my vote to d5 to avoid deadline if people don't run up something else.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1876 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Haylen wrote: Not that I disagree, but Haylen's comment clearly reflects her chess ability and how people are reacting to it.
I get that Haylen may not be the greatest player in the world, and there are some people that are being unnecessarily difficult on her. But I don't mind- she's trying, which is more than some are doing. Or at least, more than two people are doing.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1877 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am

Post by Thok »

Thok wrote:If you have any thoughts on d5 versus Qd7 versus Qc5 (although we're probably not going to play that), feel free to discuss them.
Also,

Current Move Count:

d5 (3) - Sudo_Nym, Abstract Actuary, Haylen
Qd7 (2) - Indigo Heron, Thok
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1878 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Post by veerus »

given the lack of discussion, d5 is probably the safest move option since other lines require some more analysis before we can be sure it preserves our advantage
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
-Fight Club
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1879 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Post by Thok »

If you're happy with d5, cast a vote for it. If you're not happy with d5, do some analysis and explain why people should vote another move.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #1880 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Post by Herodotus »

move d5

The only way to progress is probably to queen the pawn (or threaten to do so and force black to give up some material to stop it.) Advancing it safely is the best plan.

d5 (4) - Sudo_Nym, Abstract Actuary, Haylen, Herodotus
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1881 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

I'm very sorry all. I had a crisis last week just prior to an unexpected V/LA. I'm back, but with a cold on top of lot of catchup irl.

I don't see any move as being particularly decisive, and with what admittedly incomplete analysis I've done nothing looks particularly objectionable. My inclination is that we need to be activating our king, but no one else is considering that, so that's that realistically. I'm not comfortable voting just yet. I'll be able to get online before deadline, but realistically, I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to study the position any more.
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1882 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Post by veerus »

Thok wrote:If you're happy with d5, cast a vote for it. If you're not happy with d5, do some analysis and explain why people should vote another move.
that's the problem.. i'm not happy with d5 enough to see it happen without some more analysis

actually, upon further consideration, i think i'm a fan of Qc5.. so i'm going to vote that and hope i can convince others of its merits

move: Qc5

here's why - Bc1 is answered with Qe7+ which pushes the king into the corner with little of counterplay

anything else is answered with some more queen maneuvering while pushing black further into the corner or the pawn capture at b3
-Fight Club
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1883 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Post by veerus »

d5 (4) - Sudo_Nym, Abstract Actuary, Haylen, Herodotus
Qc5 (1) - veerus
-Fight Club
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1884 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 am

Post by Thok »

I'm willing to hammer d5 in about 6-7 hours (which would be 3-4 hours before the deadline hits.) I prefer Qd7, but on rethinking I don't think Black's responses to d5 are as strong as I thought they were and I also realize there's a deadline around.
Abstract Actuary
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Abstract Actuary
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1885 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:07 am

Post by Abstract Actuary »

Abstract Actuary wrote:I like Qc5, except that it leaves our g pawn vulnerable. Our queen's current square is extremely powerful. Protecting a lot of our vulnerable squares and stifling blacks pieces significantly.
Not much more to say. People may be missing the impact and existence of the 'stifling' aspect of our queen's current square.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1886 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:28 am

Post by Thok »

Let's do this.

Move: d5

d5 (5) - Sudo_Nym, Abstract Actuary, Haylen, Herodotus, Thok
Qd7 (1) - Indigo Heron
Qc5 (1) - veerus

(I'm a little early from when I promised, but I don' t think anybody cares.)
Mr. Black
Mr. Black
Townie
Mr. Black
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1887 (ISO) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am

Post by Mr. Black »

d5 is the move, and now we deliberate.

Due to SaintKerrigan's circumstance, we've found a replacement in CSL, who takes over SK's spot effective tomorrow.
You brought this on yourself, you know.
Mr. Black
Mr. Black
Townie
Mr. Black
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1888 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by Mr. Black »

We chose Be7. Sorry for the delay; SOMEBODY decided to have unscheduled computer trouble.
You brought this on yourself, you know.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1889 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Post by Thok »

Pondering Kd3, Ke3, Qd7, and Qe5+. All of them likely win, with Qe5+ being the riskiest line but also probably the fastest win if it does win.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1890 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Post by CSL »

Well, having a player who is here is better than a person who was on a long v/la, right?
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1891 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Post by Thok »

CSL wrote:Well, having a player who is here is better than a person who was on a long v/la, right?
What do you think about the chess game? (Theoretically I care about what you think about the mafia part of the game as well, but for the moment the chess part is more important.)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1892 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Thok wrote:
CSL wrote:Well, having a player who is here is better than a person who was on a long v/la, right?
What do you think about the chess game? (Theoretically I care about what you think about the mafia part of the game as well, but for the moment the chess part is more important.)
I thought for sure that the actual mafia alignments were almost completely irrelevant.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1893 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Post by CSL »

I think it's going really well. The black peices are cornered. As for what you said, Thok, those moves sound right to me.

Mafia alignments in this game are indeed irrelevant.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1894 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Post by Thok »

Sudo_Nym wrote:I thought for sure that the actual mafia alignments were almost completely irrelevant.
They're only completely irrelevant as long as we are winning the chess game. Plus, a little poking for reactions is useful if I want to be able to guess scum correctly after town wins the chess game. You know, for bonus points or something.

Mostly, the point of my comment was "CSL, talk about the chess game instead of pointing out that you will be more active then the guy you replaced." But you know, with something resembling a bit more tact.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1895 (ISO) » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Thok wrote:
Sudo_Nym wrote:I thought for sure that the actual mafia alignments were almost completely irrelevant.
They're only completely irrelevant as long as we are winning the chess game. Plus, a little poking for reactions is useful if I want to be able to guess scum correctly after town wins the chess game. You know, for bonus points or something.

Mostly, the point of my comment was "CSL, talk about the chess game instead of pointing out that you will be more active then the guy you replaced." But you know, with something resembling a bit more tact.
Tact is just not being honest. CSL (and everyone else), move your collective asses!
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1896 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:15 am

Post by Indigo Heron »

We have many options at this point. We can:

1. Skewer the bishop (Qd7).
2. Deprive Black's king of the 8-rank (Qc8).
3. Attempt to get the king more involved (Kd3).
4. Fork the bishop (Qe5).

I like Qd7 and Qc8. I will see though.
最愛心。。。
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1897 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:30 am

Post by EmpTyger »

Move: Kd3
. We need to move our king up for any attack we will make. Don't think it matters between Ke3 and Kd3, but go for it if you want to, Thok or whoever.

Movecount

1 Kd3
(EmpTyger)

IH:
Why do you think so highly of "deprive Black's king of the 8-rank"? (Compared to, say, depriving the black king of the f-file?)

CSL:
CSL [1890] wrote:Well, having a player who is here is better than a person who was on a long v/la, right?
What is this in response to?
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #1898 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:59 am

Post by Thok »

EmpTyger wrote:Don't think it matters between Ke3 and Kd3, but go for it if you want to, Thok or whoever.
There are useful tactical advantages for both Ke3 and Kd3. I think I prefer Ke3, but I also suspect the difference is small enough not to matter.

Both are clearly better than Qc8.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1899 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 am

Post by Haylen »

Move Qe5

Nuff said. There choice is to save the bishop or save the king. They;ll save the king, there is very few places it can go then. We'll have the king cornered.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”