Riddle Me This! NY111 - mafia dead - Town wins!

The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:16 am

Post by The Fonz »

iamausername wrote:
The Fonz wrote:So I think I'm going to endorse the only remotely viable counterwagon
Pretty sure RichardGHP was and still is an equally viable counterwagon. I don't think it's a good wagon, but it does exist. You should probably acknowledge that.

Unvote, Vote: ksun

Best of some mediocre choices, I guess.
You're quite right. When I looked at the VC on replacing in, I thought it was mipe eight, ksun two, and all the rest were loners. But having checked, there were two on Richard as well, and since that's gathered a little steam I suppose it's viable as well.

Why do you dislike the Richard wagon?

@ Everyone on mipe: who is scummier- Richard or Ksun?
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 am

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

The main problem with the Richard wagon is that Richard lacks the capacity to put on as good a show of Richard town as he is if he were to be scum. If it's a straight choice between Richard and ksun (and it's not, it's a false dichotomy right now), then I guess ksun's a better lynch.

The fact that the mipe wagon has stalled makes it worthy of analysis, since I'm of the opinion that there are two scenarios we need to consider. If mipe is town, then scum is either lurking or on the wagon already, since they've had plenty of opportunity to get a mipe lynch since we've brushed up against the deadline. If mipe is scum... we need to lynch him. Those who believe we have mipe town, where do you think the scum is with regards the mipewagon?
Show
DizzyIzzyB13: For the record, I /ghooked Cogitate :p
ChannelDelibird: Well, for the record, FUCK YOU
ChannelDelibird: ;_;
DizzyIzzyB13: Cogitate is shorter. :(
DizzyIzzyB13: Sorry, CD
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
ksun482
ksun482
Townie
ksun482
Townie
Townie

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:44 am

Post by ksun482 »

Oh! I'm Here!
I am always scum. Always. Including in this game.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

The Fonz wrote:@RichardGHP: You said 'Scum typically don't play like Korts.' In what ways does Korts' play differ from that of what you would expect scum to do here?
In my experience scum generally try to blend in more and keep the attention off of them (as opposed to trying to lead the town and playing aggressively). Every time I've seen someone with Korts-type play, they've been town. I don't anticpate that to change with Korts. Scum would likely be more cautious about their aggression.
mipe
mipe
Goon
mipe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Post by mipe »

*coughs*
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 am

Post by Korts »

mipe wrote:*coughs*
Oi mipe, what purpose does this post serve, and why not do something constructive for a change? Like, if you don't want to help, at least replace out.

I support Fonz's pressure on Izzy, although I could imagine her behavior fitting into Izzytown's profile.

Yos, what did you think of dahill and the case on him? Also, in 539, you mention Vas wanting people to claim as a point against him--do you think that's scummy, or just anti-town?

zoraster: any reason why you think scot's attack on Vas is distancing in particular? And re: post 562, is there any reason why your hypothetical situation described included "scum a" and not just generic "scum"? Do you have any reason to suspect multiple scum groups?

Also, your hypothesis assumes that mipe, dahill, I, and everyone scot has defended in attacking their attacker is town, or at least not the same faction as scot. Would you say that's true?

Richard calling wagoning null seems like a desperate defense. And the catch-up post is mostly fluff--QFTs, snappy comebacks to questions and comments that have already been addressed similarly, and listing your own self on the list of town reads, with little actual valuable analysis or action, doesn't seem like a particularly helpful post. Your scum reads have no substance either; the Quag read is entirely gut-based, and the scot case is similarly non-existent.

Scot's insistence that you answer his questions back on page 13 or something are entirely valid. I would like to see those answers too.

And don't threaten with replacing out if you're not serious. That's just appealing to emotion, man.

unvote, vote: Richard

Note that anytime any of you wants to lynch FeFiFoFum, I'm 100% behind that lynch too. I'm also down for a ksun or mipe lynch, but that's my order of preference ATM.
scumchat never die
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:42 am

Post by Quagmire »

The Fonz wrote:
Quagmire wrote:I also think you case on Izzy is built on a house of cards.
How so? You said I was 'probably right' about a Korts lynch being unviable. An SL lynch is almost certainly even more unviable. Plus, Izzy left her vote there when it was obvious SL had flaked from the game and was going to be replaced. At which point, it makes little sense to leave a vote there (it can't create any pressure, and there's no reason to think that the replacement is going to lurk) unless you're unusually sure the target is scum. And yet, if that's the case, you don't immediately unvote the replacement.

If you have one big wagon, and several one-man wagons close to deadline, the big wagon is going to be a default lynch. Default lynches are one of the worst things that can happen on a day one in terms of settting the town up for the rest of the game.

I mean, am I completely off-base in thinking that leaving your vote on a wagon you know to be unviable is a form of active lurking? Town needs to compromise sometimes and be willing to take a good lynch rather than an optimal one. Otherwise, you get a bad one.

That said, Izzy's response feels like what I'd call 'huffy town.' It reminds me a lot of ShadowGirl's play in this game- a stubborn town player lacking empathy and completely unable to see why it is completely reasonable to characterise her behaviour as antitown.
Don't you think it could be just as viable that Izzy firmly believes that SL is scum, and is too stubborn and proud about it to change her mind otherwise? What you're saying might be true if we're talking about anti-town ways to think about the game, but I really don't think a scum Izzy would be so adamant on lynching SL when she had a fairly decent case on him in the first place. In other words, she's a stubborn townie IMO.

Your problem is Fonz you tend to conflate anti-town and scummy, when they're two totally separate entities. This case, for example, is built on what-ifs that could just as easily be true the other way around. "Izzy is scum IF she was thinking about voting SL originally this way and IF my theory on stubborn voters is correct and IF Izzy reacted to my pressure like I say she did" is essentially what your case is built on and all of those things could just as plausibly be true the other way around.

And FYI of course you're off-base when you say that voting for someone you know won't get lynched is a form of active lurking. That's absurd.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:43 am

Post by Quagmire »

Korts wrote:
mipe wrote:*coughs*
Oi mipe, what purpose does this post serve, and why not do something constructive for a change? Like, if you don't want to help, at least replace out.

I support Fonz's pressure on Izzy, although I could imagine her behavior fitting into Izzytown's profile.

Yos, what did you think of dahill and the case on him? Also, in 539, you mention Vas wanting people to claim as a point against him--do you think that's scummy, or just anti-town?

zoraster: any reason why you think scot's attack on Vas is distancing in particular? And re: post 562, is there any reason why your hypothetical situation described included "scum a" and not just generic "scum"? Do you have any reason to suspect multiple scum groups?

Also, your hypothesis assumes that mipe, dahill, I, and everyone scot has defended in attacking their attacker is town, or at least not the same faction as scot. Would you say that's true?

Richard calling wagoning null seems like a desperate defense. And the catch-up post is mostly fluff--QFTs, snappy comebacks to questions and comments that have already been addressed similarly, and listing your own self on the list of town reads, with little actual valuable analysis or action, doesn't seem like a particularly helpful post. Your scum reads have no substance either; the Quag read is entirely gut-based, and the scot case is similarly non-existent.

Scot's insistence that you answer his questions back on page 13 or something are entirely valid. I would like to see those answers too.

And don't threaten with replacing out if you're not serious. That's just appealing to emotion, man.

unvote, vote: Richard

Note that anytime any of you wants to lynch FeFiFoFum, I'm 100% behind that lynch too. I'm also down for a ksun or mipe lynch, but that's my order of preference ATM.
Geez is that bandwagon #4 or #5 you've hopped on today? I can't wait to lynch you tomorrow.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:46 am

Post by Quagmire »

I'm also not a fan of Yosarian's posting since he's joined the game. He's got the "attack the easy bandwagon syndrome," a common scumtell I've found in my limited experience in playing with him.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:06 am

Post by sorasgoof »

Wow, I can't believe I forgot about this game. Sorry for being so inactive. I'll try to have the last few pages read by tomorrow night. However, just skimming, I see that a Richard wagon has started up. Can anyone outline the reasons why?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Korts »

Sorry Quag, but I've had my suspicions of Richard clearly laid out for a while now. Lynching is a majority decision, so I am willing to compromise. Simply put I don't give a fuck how many wagons I have to switch to as long as someone who I think deserves to be lynched is lynched.
scumchat never die
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 am

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

I'm really not happy with the Richard wagon.
Show
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:07 am

Post by The Fonz »

Quagmire wrote:
Don't you think it could be just as viable that Izzy firmly believes that SL is scum, and is too stubborn and proud about it to change her mind otherwise? What you're saying might be true if we're talking about anti-town ways to think about the game, but I really don't think a scum Izzy would be so adamant on lynching SL when she had a fairly decent case on him in the first place. In other words, she's a stubborn townie IMO.
I think 'proud and stubborn' is pretty much precisely what I mean when I say 'huffy town.' But even if you're dead set someone is scum, leaving a vote on an inactive is useless. I very much considered the possibility of tunnelling town. But Izzy's immediate unvote of Yos upon his entry does not, to me, say that she was utterly convinced his slot was scum.
Your problem is Fonz you tend to conflate anti-town and scummy, when they're two totally separate entities.
All antitown actions are at least slightly scummy, but that's a point we've been going at for years in MD and I don't expect anything i say here to change your view. Suffice to say, it isn't a problem, i just see it as obvious logic. If someone harms the town, there's always a chance they're doing it because
they're trying to harm the town.
To me, Izzy leaving her vote on the flaker is so obviously suboptimal it seems odd that its suboptimality would not occur to an Izzy trying to help the town.

Furthermore, if you believe antitown isn't scummy, then the obvious conclusion is that SL said she wouldn't respond to the thread until something interesting happened
because her personality/playstyle makes her particularly dislike the low-info stage.
A reasonable player would conclude that the likelihood of people wanting to lynch you for saying something so antitown would make it a very dangerous thing to do as a deliberate tactic, but the sort of thing that might well arise from personality- a strong dislike for/boredom with the early part of games. On the other hand, the early part of the game is probably the time when it least benefits scum to lurk. That's certainly my read- very antitown but in context of very limited scumminess.

In short, it ought to be the poster child for 'antitown but not scummy' if such a thing existed- its scumminess clearly lies in its antitownness. The fact that, in that situation, you think Izzy had a 'good case' raises certain red flags. (As does the fact that, in her last post, SL appears to have started playing, with a relevant comment and a vote).

And FYI of course you're off-base when you say that voting for someone you know won't get lynched is a form of active lurking. That's absurd.
It strikes me as the complete opposite of absurd- self-evident. By tunnelling on an inactive, you can avoid comment on other players, or involvement in an actual lynch that might make you look scummy.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 am

Post by RichardGHP »

Mod: Vote totals please

Need to keep track so that I can claim if necessary.
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:30 am

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

The Fonz wrote:But Izzy's immediate unvote of Yos upon his entry does not, to me, say that she was utterly convinced his slot was scum.
What it means is that I'm always willing to give replacements a chance to redeem themselves from the prior incarnation. Nothing more, nothing less.
Show
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 am

Post by The Fonz »

Right, but in that case, why not unvote when it was obvious she was getting replaced, ie probably about ten days after she last posted? That still leaves 'leaving your vote on someone who had clearly flaked' which is what i have the problem with in the first place.
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 am

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

Until a replacement is found, there's always a chance she can come back if there's been an issue that's affected her ability to play, and she could resume the game. It's happened to me before - I requested replacement in all my games because of an issue that kept me from being able to play for an indeterminate period that ended up being about 3-4 weeks and when I returned, I was still alive and unreplaced in one of my games. Until a replacement is announced by a mod, I always assume the player will be back.
Show
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Post by VasudeVa »

Don't like the Richard wagon. He's not as useless as three others. At least he makes an effort to stay in the game. mipe, FeFi and ksun, on the other hand, three are two-in-one policy/scum lynches.
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Korts wrote: Yos, what did you think of dahill and the case on him? Also, in 539, you mention Vas wanting people to claim as a point against him--do you think that's scummy, or just anti-town?
I'm not sure about dahill. He dosn't really look scummy to me, but last time I thought that about him I was completly wrong and everyone else was right.

As for wanting people to claim, yes, that's incredibly scummy as well as anti-town. Getting as many people to claim as you can as quickly as possible is a pretty vital part of any game-winning scum strategy; it's really the only way scum can avoid being screwed by a late-game miller claim or whatever. It's possible Vas is just too new to know that, but I'm never willing assume that someone dosn't know what they're doing, especially since scum are often given tips by buddies before the game starts.

That being said, I'm less suspicious of Vas after some more recent posts.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Quagmire wrote:I'm also not a fan of Yosarian's posting since he's joined the game. He's got the "attack the easy bandwagon syndrome," a common scumtell I've found in my limited experience in playing with him.
(shrug) You may want to look at some of my town games if you think that's a meta scumtell from me, quag. I'm always willing to lynch lurkers, anti-town players, and people who claim vanillia, especally on day 1; the main reason I do that as scum is to remain consistent, because I always do it as town.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #595 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:34 am

Post by The Fonz »

Part of the difficulty I'm having here is that all of mipe, FFFF, ksun and Richard are pretty raw newbies (I don't think any of them have more than one or two completed games) who could just have a bad playstyle/be playing badly. I policy lynch because I usually find it incredibly difficult to spot the one with the scum motivations from the ones who are just poor players. And here, there's not a lot between them, apart from that the mipe wagon just feels wrong and defaulty.

Now, the explanation I've owed Shanba for a while.
Shanba wrote: Fonz: you say I should have been pushing the next most viable wagon; which wagon might that be?
I said nothing of the sort in regard to you specifically. What I said was that I felt your choice of ksun was somewhat arbitrary, and that when you decided the mipe wagon was bad, you didn't bust a gut trying to convince people to leave it, and join you on ksun: you were very casual about it, hence:
Actually, there's no reason not to vote.

Shanba wrote:]mipe was the only badwagon of any size at that point; the dahill wagon had exaporated and no one else had more than one vote. I don't think it was unreasonable of me to start another wagon. Since it's now up to four in fairly short order, I'm not sure I needed to do more to push the wagon. I'm slightly aggrieved to be accused of information instead of analysis: can you point to specific instances of that in this game?
Oh, that's hokey. I expect players who are a) good [which you are] and b) town, when they don't like a wagon, to make a strong and sincere effort to talk people off of it. With you, I felt like you were going through the motions of trying to push an alternative wagon, without actually putting genuine pressure on those on it to move off, or those on lonewagons to join you. The fact that inHim and I joined the wagon subsequently because it appeared to be basically the only option does not retroactively excuse your earlier passivity.

As for IIoA: in particular, look at the third paragraph of your ISO 14, ISOs 15, 19, and 20. I'm not by any means saying your output lacks
any
content, or is
largely
IIoA- but there is some there, in comparison with, say, Quag, who appears fixated on scumhunting, attacking anything he finds slightly off, etc.

It's what I call differentiated scumhunting. Scum don't want to draw attention to themselves; they also don't want to be seen
trying
not to draw attention to themselves. Your activity level is such that most players wouldn't criticise you for it; but I don't feel that you've had the impact on the game you could have done if you really wanted to.
If Shea really is gone, then I'm absolutely furious about that. There were a number of things I wanted him to comment on and him in particular to comment on. Now I won't get that opportunity? Grrr.
Hear you on that. I replaced in here SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to play with Shea.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #596 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:29 am

Post by DeathNote »

Vote Count

scotmany12- zoraster (L-10)
dahill1- Thestatusquo (L-10)
mipe - PaltryExcuse, VasudeVad, ksun482, sorasagoof, RichardGHP, FeFiFoFum (L-5)
RichardGHP- scotmany12, Mipe, Yosarian2, Quagmire, korts (L-6)
ksun482- Shanba, dahill1, The Fonz, inHimshallibe, iamausername (L-6)
Paltry Excuse- Anon (L-10)

With 20 alive, its 11 to lynch

Deadline is April 7th, two days from now.

~I am lighter then a feather, yet no man can hold me for very long.~
Last edited by DeathNote on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #597 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 am

Post by dahill1 »

VasudeVa wrote:Don't like the Richard wagon. He's not as useless as three others. At least he makes an effort to stay in the game. mipe, FeFi and ksun, on the other hand, three are two-in-one policy/scum lynches.
QFT. This pretty much sums up my thoughts right now about the current wagons.

Ksun/FeFi have made little to no contributions while still posting at the bare minimum to maintain some sense of activity. I get the feel from their posts like they've been reading along but just skimming even because they don't even answer any questions or say ANYTHING really.

Also, if I may ask for everyone who just joined on the GHP or ksun wagon, why are you only doing it after prompting from the Fonz? I mean I know he's a good player and all and has made some pretty good posts that I mostly agree with, but I feel like Shanba and I have been urging everyone to switch off mipe for ages..
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #598 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 am

Post by dahill1 »

Also, I'm not quite sure I understand the GHP case. Can someone on it explain basically what it is (besides the contrived post analysis)?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #599 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14 am

Post by Korts »

dahill1 wrote:Also, I'm not quite sure I understand the GHP case. Can someone on it explain basically what it is (besides the contrived post analysis)?
There's also the defense of Izzy, which I find pretty scummy under the circumstances, and more important than the contrived PBPA. The catch-up fluff doesn't help either.
dahill1 wrote:Also, if I may ask for everyone who just joined on the GHP or ksun wagon, why are you only doing it after prompting from the Fonz?
We got a deadline extension and new players, new opinions, new reactions in the circulation. That means that we're no longer at a standstill, and we can opt for a better compromise.
scumchat never die

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”