[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1350 (ISO) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:21 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

farside22 wrote:By the way as for follow the cop I have to wonder if the BP is considered normal?
Mith or Mr.Flay your thoughts on it.
Beloved Princess? Not 'normally', but it's being used for special effect here. Your call, if the setup sounds interesting, I guess.
Retired as of October 2014.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1351 (ISO) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 am

Post by Max »

Wow, I have a column.

On a side note I find it interesting that Role Cop is considered more normal than a sane cop or a varying sanity cop.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1352 (ISO) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

That's because there are Cop-haters in the original thread that spawned that tally sheet. One group hates always-sane Cops, the other hates variable sanity Cops. So they both drug down the role...
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1353 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:45 am

Post by yawetag »

If anyone cares, every Open Setup ever played is on the wiki. Each role in each setup has a link to a Category that will show you other setups that used the role.

The next step is to make wiki pages for each Open game played.

farside:
I mentioned it before. If you have a list of approved setups, I'll go through each wiki page for those setups and flag them with a [[Category:Approved Open Setups]]. As the list changes (adds or drops), I can update the category.
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." --Winston Churchill
"The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all." --John F. Kennedy

Typically only on during the evenings.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1354 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:15 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

yawetag wrote:If anyone cares, every Open Setup ever played is on the wiki. Each role in each setup has a link to a Category that will show you other setups that used the role.

farside:
I mentioned it before. If you have a list of approved setups, I'll go through each wiki page for those setups and flag them with a [[Category:Approved Open Setups]]. As the list changes (adds or drops), I can update the category.
Adding that category would be awesome.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1355 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:21 am

Post by The Fonz »

OK, bear in mind this is very much a thought experiment, and contributions on the number of townies and scum needed to balance it would be welcome.
However:

Deth-Miller Mafia

13p:

One Sane Cop
One Insane Cop
One Naive Cop
One Paranoid Cop

Cops do not know their sanity.

Four Townies
Two Millers (know they are millers)

One scum day rolecop (gets told sanities of any cop they investigate)
Two scum goons

Daystart
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1356 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:14 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

@Fonz:

You spealt death wrong
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1357 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1358 (ISO) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Post by farside22 »

Mr. Flay wrote:
yawetag wrote:If anyone cares, every Open Setup ever played is on the wiki. Each role in each setup has a link to a Category that will show you other setups that used the role.

farside:
Adding that category would be awesome.
I know there is a list of approved sets up. I will send that link to yawetag.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1359 (ISO) » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:23 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

xRECKONERx wrote:Really ridiculous open setup ideas that I've played elsewhere

Open Setup #1:

4 VTs
1 Bodyguard
1 Watcher
1 Tracker
1 Town Roleblocker
1 Mafia Suicide Bomber (idk what you call it 'technically')
1 Mafia Janitor
1 Mafia Tracker

The presence of a suicide bomber who can sacrifice himself to convert someone at random means you can't really trust a claim after the bomber blows. The amount of power roles means the tracker/watcher can't just catch scum instantly without potentially outing one of their own.

Open Setup #2:

1 VT
1 Vig
3 Vengeful Townies
1 Jailkeeper
1 SK
1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Rolecop
Any thoughts on these?
green shirt thursdays
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1360 (ISO) » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:26 am

Post by yawetag »

I've seen "Suicide Bomber" called a "Yak" (Yakuza) somewhere else.
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." --Winston Churchill
"The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all." --John F. Kennedy

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1361 (ISO) » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

yawetag wrote:I've seen "Suicide Bomber" called a "Yak" (Yakuza) somewhere else.
ON EM Yakuza's ocnvert their target instead of killing them. Also, doctors save them from dieing.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1362 (ISO) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

^ Yeah, that's pretty much how this role would work.
green shirt thursdays
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1363 (ISO) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 am

Post by mykonian »

yawetag wrote:I've seen "Suicide Bomber" called a "Yak" (Yakuza) somewhere else.
Epic.
Mafia.

sigh.

:P
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1364 (ISO) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 am

Post by mykonian »

oh, and the role has a small problem:

It is basically a superkill, added to the normal mafia kill. You don't want to risk to lose that, so the role is pretty much every time used N1. It isn't really a great role, and a most boring one for the player getting it.

Further, the setup is balanced with a strong force of information roles, which is needed on epicmafia, but which is generally not really wanted here. A bodyguard and a watcher KILL after a trackerclaim. which makes that setup mostly about role interactions: great for epicmafia, not that great for MS.

The second setup has the same problem: too many roles. Killing roles in that case, but that is pretty much what has to favor the town.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1365 (ISO) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

Post by yawetag »

mykonian wrote:which makes that setup mostly about role interactions: great for epicmafia, not that great for MS.

The second setup has the same problem: too many roles. Killing roles in that case, but that is pretty much what has to favor the town.
+1. Plus, epicmafia is all about no lynching until LYLO. That's a rarity here. These roles, in a small way, push the idea of a NL -- why kill when we can use those power roles?

bouncy.bouncy
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
bouncy.bouncy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1366 (ISO) » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 am

Post by bouncy.bouncy »

how does this sound
3 mafia
1 town day vig
1 town watcher
1 town tracker
6 vanilla town
Last edited by bouncy.bouncy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1367 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:50 am

Post by Max »

watchers would only really ever find scum as it's unlikely they target the other watcher who just so happens to be picking the mafia's target.

Two-Fold C9

2 Mafia
2 Werewolves

0-2 of (Cop, Human Tracker, Doctor)
0-2 of (Seer, Animal Tracker, Sorcerer)
0-8 Vanilla Town

Now, it make look quite imbalanced but there is plenty of scope for potential power. The roles for cop and seer aren't symmetrical so it could be that there are 2 seers and no anti-mafia powers. Now that's unlikely but it's possible.

The Number of Town Power is (1/6th, 4/6ths and 1/6th) for 0, 1 and 2 respectively. This applies to both. Once into the selection of powers it is equally likely for the first power (1/3rd each) then for the second power the chance of the first power is decreased by half (i.e. if Cop first, chance of cop second time 1/6th)

So here are the possible distributions:

Mafia Powers
(Same for Werewolves but with altered names)
  1. 0 Powers (1/6th)
  2. 1 Power (4/6ths)
    1. Cop (1/3rd)
    2. Human Tracker (1/3rd)
    3. Doctor (1/3rd)
  3. 2 Powers
    1. Cop (1/3rd)
      • Cop (1/6th)
      • Doc (5/12ths)
      • Human Tracker (5/12ths)
    2. Doc
      • Cop (5/12th)
      • Doc (1/6ths)
    3. Human Tracker
      • Cop (1/6th)
      • Doc (5/12ths)
So I decided to do some set-up generations:

2 Mafia, 2 Werewolves, Human Tracker, Sorcerer, 6 VT
2 Mafia, 2 Werewolves, Doctor, Tracker, 6 VT
2 Mafia, 2 Werewolves, Animal Tracker, Seer, 6 VT

The last one may appear to have issues for the werewolves however the power is good enough for the town and the mafia and werewolves both have potential counter claims.

Animal TrackerYou are the
Animal Tracker
you are good at tracking animals in particular, which is useful if you are against Werewolves. Unfortunately the Mafia's strong ability to skulk around without being noticed limits your ability to stalk them. You can stalk the average person as they have nothing to hide

Human TrackerYou are the
Human Tracker
you are good at tracking humans, which is useful against the Mafia. Unfortunately the Werewolves are too fast for you to be able to stalk them. You can stalk the average person as they have nothing to hide.

Thoughts?
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1368 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Max »

I do really want thoughts on that, should a 1 shot X kill immunity be enforced.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1369 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Post by ortolan »

waaaaa follow the cop never got run :(
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
FC Groningen
FC Groningen
Goon
FC Groningen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1370 (ISO) » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Post by FC Groningen »

Looks like I've posted this in the wrong thread.

So I'll post it here again.

I've hosted a different game on a different site. You guys might like it, but it requires at least 50 people to participate which might be too much here.

I'll explain the basics here without trying to spoil too much of the content.

For starters, the theme is "Zombie Apocalypse". A group of survivors pull together after the disaster and try to get out of the infected area together. However, some infected zombies that are able to hide from the masses have infiltrated the group. The group will escape if all evil roles are dead.

Secondly, everyone has a unique role based on what I think are stereotypes in movies and horror movies in particular. For example:

Laidback Student: (neutral/blue) 3

Sleeping from 4 till 2, visiting college once a week, wasting yourself in bars and smoking weed from time to time, life is good right? WRONG! The zombie apocalypse made short work of your lazy lifestyle and soon you were forced to hide and fight to survive. Fortunately for you, you come across a group of survivors, but that doesn't get you out of trouble yet...

Objective: Survive with the group and get the hell out of there. (get rid of all the evil roles)

Abilities:

none

Night watch efficiency: 90%

Phobias:
* Outside

Which leads me to the next part of the game, the night guard system. During the night, the survivors need to pick a night guard to keep watch during the night. Everyone has his or her own efficiency percentage which can be influenced by several factors. In case the night guard fails (will be decided by a random number generator) someone random from the group (except evil roles) will die as well during the night. There is no protection against that. Some roles will fall victim earlier than others...

Next, there are the locations. Each day, the thinning group moves to another location to get closer to escape. Each location has its own statistics and sometimes items to use and story. For example:

Day 1.1:
The community center:
The community center is the starting location of this particular game. Every (known) survivor of the zombie unslaught gathered here. Now that a decent group has come together, its time to get out of this city. The community center is a safe and known place with plenty of supplies. Its easily defendable, but the survivors will need to leave the safety of the community center behind if they want to get somewhere...
Statistics:
Defence: none
Supply effects: none
Hidden threats: none
Special: Starting location

In case items are found, they are usually randomly distributed to players. Its possible to steal them from others during a night phase. Items have their own charastics and traits for example:

Coffee:

Will help people to stay awake at night. Night watch efficiency goes up with 50%. Doesn't work on children though.

the game has been divided into 4 parts. Each part has its own mission. Failing them means a penalty for the survivors/town. Penalties means visiting extra locations for example you really don't like to be.

NPC's:
NPC's like the zombie mob are the regular npc's that the survivors have to fend off at night (by picking a night guard). Sometimes other and stronger NPC's show up and all of them have their own effects...

Events:
In some special cases, an event is triggered which will have suiting effects on the game for both sides. I can't reveal any of them yet, but they might tip a battle in someone's favor.

edit: forgot

Each role has preferences and phobias as well. In case a person reaches a location that triggers either his preferenences or phobias, a person either suffers a penalty or gains a bonus regarding night guard efficiency and survivability at night.

Any thoughts?
an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Ghandi
yawetag
yawetag
Goon
yawetag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1371 (ISO) » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Post by yawetag »

FC Groningen wrote:Any thoughts?
Firstly, I don't think this would work as an Open Setup. Try getting someone to approve it and run it as a Theme Game.

Secondly, I don't think you'll be able to find 50 active players to /in, much less keep them all active from replacement. I'm surprised it's been run at any site.

Thirdly, it sounds fun. I don't think I'd join it, but I can see where it's a good idea.

Mr. Rogers
Mr. Rogers
Goon
Mr. Rogers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1372 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 am

Post by Mr. Rogers »

originally put this in wrong place
Mr. Rogers wrote:Game I plan to run some day

2 goons
8 townies
1 town doctor
1 mafia traitor - doesn't know scum and scum don't know him but he wins with scum

after players are randomly given these roles i will randomly give out neighbor assignments

Roll dice among all players. first person rolled is in neighbor group 1 along with his other role. Second person rolled is also in neighbor group 1 along with whatever role they already are. Do this 3 times for a total of 3 neighbor groups. Don't think I'll allow a player to be in multiple neighbor groups. I think the mentioned power roles combined with random neighboring should be fairly balanced and interesting in terms of strategies you could organize. Only way traitor gets to talk to and find out who is scum is by luck and doctor could find a good team mate could find out alot about a buddy or a teamate. Just got to figure out if i should allow mafia to be randomly neighbors with mafia. I think they should be allowed should luck make it happen. Afterall is they are together other pairs would likly go to town and that may keep things interesting.
I need any criticism and or snappy titles you can think of
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1373 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:38 am

Post by farside22 »

ortolan wrote:waaaaa follow the cop never got run :(
I forgot about it and I'm still thinking about the princess.

@ Max I like your idea there. How is there 0-8 VT's though?
Last edited by farside22 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1374 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 am

Post by farside22 »

Mr. Rogers wrote:originally put this in wrong place
Mr. Rogers wrote:Game I plan to run some day

2 goons
8 townies
1 town doctor
1 mafia traitor - doesn't know scum and scum don't know him but he wins with scum

after players are randomly given these roles i will randomly give out neighbor assignments

Roll dice among all players. first person rolled is in neighbor group 1 along with his other role. Second person rolled is also in neighbor group 1 along with whatever role they already are. Do this 3 times for a total of 3 neighbor groups. Don't think I'll allow a player to be in multiple neighbor groups. I think the mentioned power roles combined with random neighboring should be fairly balanced and interesting in terms of strategies you could organize. Only way traitor gets to talk to and find out who is scum is by luck and doctor could find a good team mate could find out alot about a buddy or a teamate. Just got to figure out if i should allow mafia to be randomly neighbors with mafia. I think they should be allowed should luck make it happen. Afterall is they are together other pairs would likly go to town and that may keep things interesting.
I need any criticism and or snappy titles you can think of
Not sure how this belongs here. Seeing the Mr. Rogers name and idea I feel like calling the game:
Won't you be my neighbor?

@FC Groningen: That game is not normal. It belongs under theme games

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”