Newbie 940 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:16 am

Post by Thor665 »

AurorusVox wrote:No, of course not. Players should always be held accountable for what they say. You can still hold me to my statement that I like the punctuation, namely the square brackets "[" and "]", for as long as you like. I prefer BB code to HTML for this very reason.
I am holding you to the implied statement that you believe you should lynch players whom you might look positively upon for reasons other then their actions. Clearly you prefer certain punctuation - do you also perhaps prefer certain avatar types, or maybe certain font color?

Do you believe you will have difficulty lynching someone if they have certain traits you enjoy even though they are the more obvious scummy player?

If not, why vote [no] over it? If so, I think the rest of the players ought to know about this difficulty of yours.

What is your read of Pulindar hopping in to defend you from answering a question meant for someone else? Clearly since you apologized for it you accept answering other people's questions to be at least scummy or improper on some level. Do you think he was defending you to get you to like him more, or to attack Die's in an off-hand manner, or to simply be a player who is offering his read on the scumtell?

Do you still believe answering others' questions is bad for town?
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Thor665 wrote:I am holding you to the implied statement that you believe you should lynch players whom you might look positively upon for reasons other then their actions. Clearly you prefer certain punctuation - do you also perhaps prefer certain avatar types, or maybe certain font color?
I am an Aquarius, my favourite colour is currently orange, and I like romantic walks on the beach.
Thor665 wrote:Do you believe you will have difficulty lynching someone if they have certain traits you enjoy even though they are the more obvious scummy player?
The fact that I said it "might cloud my judgement" was intended as a joke, as evidenced by the " :P " emoticon that I inserted following this statement. If you wish to take the message as a whole, please take it as a
whole
whole.
If not, why vote [no] over it? If so, I think the rest of the players ought to know about this difficulty of yours.
It is not so, I will have no difficulty in voting someone who is scummy just because they use punctuation marks like [square brackets].

Since we're dealing with the "If not" segment, I'll say this: because we're at the random vote stage. It was a random vote. I wanted to flower it up a bit, and so I inserted some light-hearted banter into the mix. It has stimulated discussion, so I am glad that I did it.
Thor665 wrote:What is your read of Pulindar hopping in to defend you from answering a question meant for someone else? Clearly since you apologized for it you accept answering other people's questions to be at least scummy or improper on some level. Do you think he was defending you to get you to like him more, or to attack Die's in an off-hand manner, or to simply be a player who is offering his read on the scumtell?
Pulindar said it was his opinion that answering other peoples' questions was not necessarily a bad thing and it is my read that he is entitled to his opinion. You have set out some good arguments for why this is not how you view it (I am referring to your post prior to this one). I must say that I agree with what you are saying to an extent (but more on that below).

As for Pulindar trying to buddy up to me, I don't think this is the case. In all honesty I think that since he is an SE, he was giving us an example that not everyone has to think the same.
Thor665 wrote:Do you still believe answering others' questions is bad for town?
I think anything that gives us information or a read on scum is good for the town. The answer in itself is problematic for the town, because, like you said, it stops the person to whom the question was addressed from giving an original answer. However, problematic does not mean the same as unhelpful. The context in which the answer was given, and who jumps in front of what sort of question, is surely rich in information that will give us more to analyse.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:36 am

Post by AurorusVox »

EBWOP wrote:You have set out some good arguments for why this is not how you view it (I am referring to your post prior to this one).
should have read: (I am referring to your post prior to this one [that I am quoting])
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Pulindar
Pulindar
Goon
Pulindar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:42 am

Post by Pulindar »

Thor665 wrote: 2. I do not see this as mutually exclusive. Why would you think a vote has to be for either a perceived scum tell *or* to 'test' someone?
No, they are not. What I meant was to ask what was your main purpose. To test, or because he seemed scummy. (there are of course other reasons as well, but those two seemed the most likely)
Thor wrote:3. I did not imply what he said. I offered my interpretation of what he said. I accept that it was my interpretation. Do *you* think it was a misrep of him?
It bothered me a bit, yes. But I understood why you were saying it so... I wasn't sure, I wanted your thoughts on your action.
Thor wrote:4. Going with the purest definition of OMGUS (oh my gawd, you suck - for the newbies). An OMGUS vote is a vote made on someone only because they are attacking/voting for you. I do not believe Die's vote was OMGUS.

5. He attempted to provide reasons for his counter vote. I am unimpressed by his reasons which is why I was pressuring him to justify the logic of his vote, but since his vote wasn't parsed "You're voting for me? Obv scum is obvious" it was not OMGUS.
Good!!! That is exactly what I thought you would say :) I'm glad

Thor wrote:I disagree with you as far as the 'it's okay to answer questions directed at others' because that then allows the person who was asked the question to frame their answer in a cop-out way by saying 'ah, what he said' instead of actually answering it themselves.

Aurorus answered a question that had already been answered, however, so I have zero issue with that specific point.

If I ask a question of someone I do not think I should need to say each and every time that I expect their answer to the question (if we're going that route I wish it to be understood that all my questions will have this caveat attached to them even if I do not type it out)
I see your point, and I must apologize for I think that I explained my thoughts poorly.

Yes, you should wait for the person specifically asked first, but you should also be able to answer questions regardless if you feel like it. For instance you ask later
Thor wrote:Do you believe you will have difficulty lynching someone if they have certain traits you enjoy even though they are the more obvious scummy player?
and AV answered negatively. My answer to this question would be Yes, and in fact it has cost me a game. But it has also made it so that I lynched the right person in another spot. I'd like to say that certain traits make me think people are scummy or not, and I find very few things obvious.

I don't believe it'll be a problem that I answered that question because it will help you understand my play (which in my mind helps town).

Where you would ask someone not to answer a question would be when you are trying to trap someone else. Trying to ensure that they can't use another's logic to get out of something they set themselves up in. I rarely do that, except when I am scum, but I have seen town do it before, and they've caught scum through it. I've also seen town try it, and other town get out of it successfully, so it does work, like all things, sometimes.
AV wrote:I think anything that gives us information or a read on scum is good for the town. The answer in itself is problematic for the town, because, like you said, it stops the person to whom the question was addressed from giving an original answer. However, problematic does not mean the same as unhelpful. The context in which the answer was given, and who jumps in front of what sort of question, is surely rich in information that will give us more to analyse.
oooo I like that point too. Especially since we'd notice when someone did say (yeah, just what that guy said)... hmm interesting.

One last little thing
Thor wrote:Do you think he was defending you to get you to like him more, or to attack Die's in an off-hand manner, or to simply be a player who is offering his read on the scumtell?
This is a good question. By the Way, AV, I'm an IC. I will continue to separate my IC parts of my posts from my game parts. I made sure not to include it in my IC part because it is part of my post as a player, not as an IC. In no way was
Pul wrote:Also, I don't find a problem with answering questions aimed at other people it shows your involved. Just don't do it when specifically asked not to.
Coming from my status as IC, and it is definitely a fair thing to question. By Thor questioning it I not only was able to defend myself, but was also able to further explain my thoughts and we were all able to learn more.

As IC it is important that I show you a real game and fight for my win condition, no matter what that condition is.
"If I had to label someone as dangerous, it'd be Pulindar. I have a feeling his scum game is very similar to his town game.... What I think is dangerous about Pulindar is that his scumreads feel so liquid. He can post a wall of questions and decide he doesn't like your answer to one of them and justify a vote on you." ~ Prawneater
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:20 am

Post by [no] »

Vote Die Prediger
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 am

Post by AurorusVox »

"Die Prediger" is at L-1 now, right? This is an unnerving situation, made even more unnerving by the fact that [no] hasn't even given the illusion of (even a random) reason...

Should someone take their vote off him just in case he's a townie and the mafia quick-hammers on him?
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 am

Post by [no] »

I found Die's decision a scum-tell, as there's no particular reason to avoid an L-3, IMO. At least, it's the most scum-tell post I have found so far ITT
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 am

Post by [no] »

eta: I mean avoiding an L-3 so early in the game
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 am

Post by Thor665 »

[no] wrote:I found Die's decision a scum-tell, as there's no particular reason to avoid an L-3, IMO. At least, it's the most scum-tell post I have found so far ITT
unvote: Die Prediger
Vote: [no]

It's not the scummiest thing I've seen just yet. Seriously though, L-1 on page two over that? A couple of questions for you;

1. What is your experience with Mafia (how many games have you completed and in what formats - rough estimates are fine)

2. Why do you think what Die did was so scummy? Is there anything else he did, or was it only the L-3 comment?
Pulindar
Pulindar
Goon
Pulindar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 am

Post by Pulindar »

Unvote
"If I had to label someone as dangerous, it'd be Pulindar. I have a feeling his scum game is very similar to his town game.... What I think is dangerous about Pulindar is that his scumreads feel so liquid. He can post a wall of questions and decide he doesn't like your answer to one of them and justify a vote on you." ~ Prawneater
Pulindar
Pulindar
Goon
Pulindar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 am

Post by Pulindar »

ooo sniped by Thor again.

Anyway, I'd like Thor's questions to be answered, as well as:

3.) Did you realize that you were making it so Die was only one vote away from a lynch, everyone even had a chance to speak?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 am

Post by Thor665 »

AurorusVox wrote:"Die Prediger" is at L-1 now, right? This is an unnerving situation, made even more unnerving by the fact that [no] hasn't even given the illusion of (even a random) reason...

Should someone take their vote off him just in case he's a townie and the mafia quick-hammers on him?
Generally speaking mafia quick hammers do not worry me - as that is a *very* obvious scummy thing to do. However, in Newbie games and with newbie actions I agree with you that it is a little unnerving to see since Newbs will quickhammer for newb reasons regardless of being scum or not.

Why do you think [no] didn't even give an "illusion of a reason?" He stated what he voted Die over - what makes you feel that doesn't even count as an RVS vote?
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 am

Post by [no] »

Thor665 wrote:
[no] wrote:I found Die's decision a scum-tell, as there's no particular reason to avoid an L-3, IMO. At least, it's the most scum-tell post I have found so far ITT
unvote: Die Prediger
Vote: [no]

It's not the scummiest thing I've seen just yet. Seriously though, L-1 on page two over that? A couple of questions for you;

1. What is your experience with Mafia (how many games have you completed and in what formats - rough estimates are fine)
I am almost done with one game in another discussion board. Otherwise, none.
Thor665 wrote:2. Why do you think what Die did was so scummy? Is there anything else he did, or was it only the L-3 comment?
Partially, yes. But I won't bandwagon if i don't think it has any sense to it. I also thought that possibly the previous users who were voted before him were potential scum and therefore didn't want to vote for them, but then i realized i was one of them (and i am not scum) so...
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 am

Post by Thor665 »

Thor665 wrote:Why do you think [no] didn't even give an "illusion of a reason?" He stated what he voted Die over - what makes you feel that doesn't even count as an RVS vote?
Eh, I'll withdraw this - he clarified after you had asked him to clarify. I blame Vel-Rahn because he's not likely to defend himself.

I'll rephrase the question to asking you to offer your opinions of [no]'s stated logic now that you've heard it.
[no] wrote:Partially, yes. But I won't bandwagon if i don't think it has any sense to it. I also thought that possibly the previous users who were voted before him were potential scum and therefore didn't want to vote for them, but then i realized i was one of them (and i am not scum) so...
I'm going to state what I believe you are saying here - if I am incorrect please let me know where.

You are okay with bandwagoning someone early in the day as long as you think they are guilty (ergo, you believe Die is guilty)
You think the other people who had been voted were all scum...but then realized one of them was you and so cleared them and focused on Die again for his scummy actions.

Pulinder, our noble if oft sniped IC, was one of the people who had been voted earlier. Do you think he is town?

Why wouldn't it be possible for me to be scum and just trying to work a quick lynch on Die at this stage of the game? If you trust the logic I am using to lynch Die then it appears you trust me - why is this? I haven't done anything that brilliant yet (or possibly ever)
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 am

Post by [no] »

Thor665 wrote:
[no] wrote:Partially, yes. But I won't bandwagon if i don't think it has any sense to it. I also thought that possibly the previous users who were voted before him were potential scum and therefore didn't want to vote for them, but then i realized i was one of them (and i am not scum) so...
You are okay with bandwagoning someone early in the day as long as you think they are guilty (ergo, you believe Die is guilty)
You think the other people who had been voted were all scum...but then realized one of them was you and so cleared them and focused on Die again for his scummy actions.
What I meant by that is now i question the decision.

There however is also Die putting some kind of FOS on Aurorus for answering a question intended for someone else. Or is that just paranoia?
Thor665 wrote:Why wouldn't it be possible for me to be scum and just trying to work a quick lynch on Die at this stage of the game? If you trust the logic I am using to lynch Die then it appears you trust me - why is this? I haven't done anything that brilliant yet (or possibly ever)
It isn't that I 'trust' you, it's that for a moment the analysis made sense. I'm not sure that i would unintentionally vote for someone based on "trust"
Die Prediger
Die Prediger
Townie
Die Prediger
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 am

Post by Die Prediger »

TO PULINDAR:

1.) Do you think Bandwagons are a scummy thing?

They can be. If a player is on L-3, and other two people join the bandwagon, you can find something scummy in that, [no]? OTOH, it can pressure a scum slip.

2.) Do you think pressure is scummy?

Not at all. You´ve got to pressure everyone, especially in the newbie games, dont you think?

3.) If so, please say why.

4.) Can someone determine scum reliably from one post?

From one post? Sure! But from the very first one? I doubt.

5.) If I showed you an example where someone did you would you think they could?

Please, show it.

6.) What is your favorite role and why?

Its the mason i played once in another site. You are town AND you can talk to each other. Whats your favorite role?
newb 1037
Die Prediger
Die Prediger
Townie
Die Prediger
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 am

Post by Die Prediger »

[no] wrote:
Vote Die Prediger
And this was very fast to day one, right, getting me to L-1?

Scummy bandwagon???
newb 1037
Die Prediger
Die Prediger
Townie
Die Prediger
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 am

Post by Die Prediger »

AurorusVox wrote:"Die Prediger" is at L-1 now, right? This is an unnerving situation, made even more unnerving by the fact that [no] hasn't even given the illusion of (even a random) reason...

Right, why didnt you?

Both Mafia had already voted in me, so they couldnt give the final vote? And not giving it, assuming the one that could've give it was the mafia???
newb 1037
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Die Prediger wrote:Should someone take their vote off him just in case he's a townie and the mafia quick-hammers on him?
Right, why didnt you?[/quote]

Because I haven't voted for you. So it would be hard for me to retract a vote on you that I haven't placed...
Die Prediger wrote:Both Mafia had already voted in me, so they couldnt give the final vote? And not giving it, assuming the one that could've give it was the mafia???
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here...
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Pulindar
Pulindar
Goon
Pulindar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:32 am

Post by Pulindar »

Die Prediger wrote:
4.) Can someone determine scum reliably from one post?

From one post? Sure! But from the very first one? I doubt.

5.) If I showed you an example where someone did you would you think they could?

Please, show it.
I'll admit, it was the player's second post, still on page one though Glitch in time look at Nika. (note: this is also part of my Meta as town.)
Die wrote:
6.) What is your favorite role and why?

Its the mason i played once in another site. You are town AND you can talk to each other. Whats your favorite role?
Mason was fun, I like Mafia goon best, especially in Newbie games. Though I want to try third party some time. Anyway, Mafia goon offers me not to be the main mafia (if there is a roleblocker) so I can help my partner and teach more (which I enjoy doing) It also let's me be mafia and some players some interesting things.

Though I will admit, I don't like having to lie, and I HATE putting pressure and killing people who are playing a decent game and don't understand why they're dieing. It makes me feel bad :(

Still, I prefer it, generally speaking. I have never tried a power role other than mason though, so I may like those as well... VT is ok, but I like variety and I've been VT alot. Still, in my favorite games (glitch in time and Newbie 869) I was VT, so I really enjoy those games, I just like trying other roles.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:32 am

Post by AurorusVox »

^

Sorry that my quote stack above is all messed up...the first quoted text is from me, the one next to [/quote] is from Preacher Man (Die Prediger)
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
[no]
[no]
Townie
[no]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:32 am

Post by [no] »

Die, what do you mean by "both mafia had already voted in me"?
Pulindar
Pulindar
Goon
Pulindar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 am

Post by Pulindar »

AurorusVox wrote:
Die Prediger wrote:Both Mafia had already voted in me, so they couldnt give the final vote? And not giving it, assuming the one that could've give it was the mafia???
he's asking if you thought of the four people on him two were mafia.

Die Prediger probably (though I won't say for sure) thought your vote was on him.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Thor665 wrote:
Thor665 wrote:Why do you think [no] didn't even give an "illusion of a reason?" He stated what he voted Die over - what makes you feel that doesn't even count as an RVS vote?
Eh, I'll withdraw this - he clarified after you had asked him to clarify. I blame Vel-Rahn because he's not likely to defend himself.

I'll rephrase the question to asking you to offer your opinions of [no]'s stated logic now that you've heard it.
In general, I have no problem with someone voting for the person who has given the biggest scumtell in their opinion. My issue was with him putting someone to L-1 so soon.

As for the reason itself, I personally don't think that someone wanting to avoid L-3 is the biggest problem in the world. I also don't quite see the logic in the scum having to be one of those already voted for...all in all, I find his reasons unconvincing, and they're definitely not good enough in my opinion to warrant putting someone one vote away from a lynch.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:46 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Pulindar wrote:
AurorusVox wrote:
he's asking if you thought of the four people on him two were mafia.

Die Prediger probably (though I won't say for sure) thought your vote was on him.
I have no idea if one, two, or even none of the mafia, were members of the "four votes on the Preacher" brigade. What I do know is that I didn't like the fact that he was L-1 with the
possibility
of a mafia not being part of the vote. I mean, there are some people who haven't even had the chance to post yet.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”