Newbie 940 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sauron
Sauron
Goon
Sauron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by Sauron »

Thor665 wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:because we cannot hold the replacement to his/her predecessor's actions
Please expound on this concept.
This seems fairly clear to me, though I think it could have been better worded. The replacement will be largely unable to explain hiphop's motivations except as the only thing they'll know that we don't is his role. While it might be somewhat useful ("Oh, I can see why he'd do that as a doc", for example), it doesn't really give us any insight into hiphop's thought process and, therefore, why he did or said certain things.

In particular, it becomes more difficult to distinguish scumminess, difference of theory, or bad play without taking a sufficient amount of time to explore the replacement.
W/L:
0/0 Scum
0/2 Town (Including Newbie 903, where the scum played
beautifully
)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Your opinions are so noted, I'd still like to hear Nacho respond to the question I asked him.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:05 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Nobody Special replaces Jerako. Pulindar has been prodded.
Looking for a replacement for hiphop.
Sweenytodd replaces hiphop.

Official Vote Count

Sauron - 1 (Nobody Special)
Die Prediger - 2 (Sweenytodd, silverbullet999)
silverbullet999 - 2 (Sauron, Die Prediger)
Nobody Special - 1 (Pulindar)
Sweenytodd - 3 (AurorusVox, Nachomamma8, Thor665)

Not Voting - 0 ()

5 to Lynch.
Deadline
is the end of Tuesday, May 4.
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Sweenytodd
Sweenytodd
Goon
Sweenytodd
Goon
Goon

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 am

Post by Sweenytodd »

Hi everybody, I am currently reading the thread. I will post a little later once I'm caught up.
Unvote
for now.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Die Prediger has requested replacement.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Hello! I am here, and reading. Thoughts when I get caught up, probably later this evening.

For now:

unvote
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Ironic that in a game where someone asked if it is scummy to be replaced out, almost half the original people have replaced out.

Hello Nobody Special and SweenyTodd. Nice to have you here ^^
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 am

Post by Thor665 »

You will, unfortunately, discover that replacing out is common in all games on mafiascum and especially in the Newbie games. This is a combination of the game's length and slowness as played here on mafiascum.net and newbies discovering that some aspect of the game is not enjoyable to them (I've seen town and scum newbies depart for reasons as varied as 'everyone's accusing me of stuff' to 'this game is boring')

I'll say hey to Nobody; it looks like you and I finally get a game without Ythan in it.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Don't speak too soon, Thor - Preacherman wants to be replaced out too. There's still a chance that your trio will blossom again.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Okay. I am through page 5. No votes yet, but my suspicions* lie in: [no], silverbullet, and Die Preacher.

I have to actually do some Actual Work(tm) so more reading will have to wait until this evening.

*Bear in mind, I'm only through page 5. No idea what's happened past that.
....what?

silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

Post by silverbullet999 »

[joke]Bloody ell everyone is replacing out... They All Must Have Been Scum!!! [/joke]

Alright well I've been busy (As has everyone I believe) and so here's a quick post to my thoughts into it.

@Thor, I don't feel that the lemons reads have been contradicting and I believe he explained himself well. I feel that the contradiction is a misinterpretation on hip's part. I'll look deeper however if you want me to Thor.

@Nacho (In regards to lynching hip or not) I'm willing to lynch him when the dead line gets a bit closer at this point and time. (Hope this doesn't get misinterpreted... I'm saying right now.. I'm a go for his lynching.. but not right now... when the deadline gets a little closer I will).

@AV - What trio are you referring to when talking of thor? (How do they normally act etc.)

@Mod could you tell us the reasoning provided for requesting replacement with die?

That's all for now.. Also hi Nobody and Sweeny
... People were right it seems....
Sweenytodd
Sweenytodd
Goon
Sweenytodd
Goon
Goon

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Post by Sweenytodd »

This is the first half of my post... I'll try to post the second half tomorrow. I wanted to get part of this out there today, and I'll finish more tomorrow and be fully caught up.

Alright, having finished my read, I feel the most pressing issue for me is this
Nacho wrote:Right now, I think that we have to decide whether hiphop's scummy enough to lynch at this moment because we cannot hold the replacement to his/her predecessor's actions, and we cannot allow the replacement to get off completely scot-free. If the answer is no, then I'd suggest pursuing different angles because the replacement won't be here long enough to give us a good read...
We are 2 weeks into a 3 week D1, please give me the benefit of the remaining week to contribute rather than lynching me immediately based off of hiphop's play.

Regarding hiphop: I cannot answer for him as I do not know what he was thinking as he played through the day, the best that I can do is explain how I see the events thus far and outline where my suspicions lie.

In terms of formatting this post, for the sake of brevity, I will not be commenting on everything, only what sticks out to me. Please feel free to direct me to anything you'd like me to respond to directly.

P1: Random votes, notable here are Die Predigar's

Hello people! Its also my second game here in mafiascum.net. I hope we all can have some fun togheter.

So, to start the RVS and dont get anyone on L-3, Ill

vote Pulindar

This was rightly called out, though in reading Die Predigar again, it looks like a new player not understanding what all the fuss is about.
P2:
Thor wrote:Do you still believe answering others' questions is bad for town?
It depends on the question, I think generally if Player A asks a question directed at Player B, other players should wait on Player B's response before weighing in. I have often seen Players ask specific pointed questions looking for specific responses and then had a third player come along, blurt out what he thought the answer ought to be, letting the player whom the question was directed towards off the hook. However, in the context of this game, with then number of questions flying around, I think there are many questions directed towards everyone.

Here also, [no] (now Sauron) places the 4th vote on Die Prediger, shifting the focus onto himself. I think Die Prediger freaked out a bit at being brought to L-1
1.) Do you think Bandwagons are a scummy thing?

They can be. If a player is on L-3, and other two people join the bandwagon, you can find something scummy in that, [no]? OTOH, it can pressure a scum slip.
I concur that his bandwagon went from 2 to 4 very quickly, but I don't think it automatically scummy.

P3: Pulindar gives us his IC note on bussing/distancing. I appreciate the need for an IC to provide these explanations in these Newbie games, however I would probably have added that distancing and bussing are much more accurately assessed D2 and beyond when we have known alignments and can asses interactions with more than just suspicion and assumption.
silverbullet wrote:If die ended up getting lynched and it was shown he was a townie (Death's show whom that person was, right?) Then I would be somewhat suspicious of you and no
I don't like these if X is scum then I will be suspicious of Y statements, especially early on D1.

I wish [no] had been able to answer more questions before he replaced out. He voted Die Prediger on P2, then unvoted him on P3. When asked by Thor if he was still suspicious of Die, the best we got out of him was
[no] wrote:I don't think I have enough info yet. I am however keeping watch
This makes me want to know why he voted him if he thought there wasn't enough info yet or if he meant there wasn't enough info to lynch.
Thor wrote:
Jerako wrote:Not that I think no useful information has come, but that not enough has come forth. I am still analyzing all of you, and I will place my vote when I have a reason enough to do so. It seems like you're trying to pressure me into voting. Why?
Because votes are the best and most easily traceable information.
I like this; I like to keep track of votes (I think my spreadsheet is almost identical to Sauron's) and I tend to view a vote as the best way to indicate suspicion and apply pressure. I don't use FOS's much if at all, but I will move my vote when my suspicions change.

P4: I don't like Die Prediger's
unvote
vote hiphop

for still not posting here - Nacho already has a vote on him. And i dont have anything about Thor to keep my vote on him.
I'm fine with the vote, but the reasoning is off. Once again Die Prediger explicitly avoids placing a second vote on someone. To me this is
Thor from P1 wrote:'Hai guyz, I am not scum becauze I don't pile on votes in RVS'
all over again… He never explained his reluctance to add a vote to someone who already had one. Personally, I like early bandwagons because people react differently at L-2 or L-1 than they do at L-4. I tend to discount the idea of a quicklynch, but I haven't played a game here for a coupled years, so I suppose that may have changed.

P5-6: So far, most of the discussion has centered around Die Prediger's concern about adding a second vote to someone and [no]'s P2 L-1. Of the two situations, I tend to see [no]'s play as opportunistic newbie scum, so I'll have an eye on Sauron going forward.

P7:
Thor wrote:@[no] - who are you voting right now? If you're not voting anyone why is that? (if your answer is that you don't have any good suspects - my next question will be "what are you doing to find scummy suspects?" feel free to answer that one too if you need to.)
At this point I believe neither [no] nor AurorusVox were voting. Was there a reason for singling out [no] here?

P7-8: Questioning of silverbullet by Thor, more of those If X is scum then Y posts. [no] replaces out which derails that wagon before he is able to fully answer Jerako's case against him. This contradiction Jerako pointed out
[no] wrote:but i just played one game there. and i did terribly. also, the rules of those games doesn't allow an automatic lynch once a majority has been reached, you have to wait until 5PM EST (the night phase) to wait for the lynch. until then, it doesn't matter how many votes they have on you.
[no] wrote:Now this is interesting. Where did I state that I didn't know it took 5 votes to lynch, and that when that number was reached, the lynch was cast?
In the first post, [no] explains that in the mafia games he is used to, there are no lynches until a certain date/time even if the required number of votes to lynch has been reached. In the second, [no] implies that he did know it was 5 to lynch and that casting the 5th vote would in fact lynch someone. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't realize what he had done until this was pointed out. This contradiction looks more like a willful untruth and I wish he could have spoken to it before replacing out.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Sweenytodd wrote:At this point I believe neither [no] nor AurorusVox were voting. Was there a reason for singling out [no] here?
The sour fruit was scumhunting in a manner that I could assess and had made some views known. [no] was less forthcoming in my eyes (and, if I recall correctly, I just hadn't felt he was scumhunting in any way whatsoever) so I wanted to obligate him to air his current suspicions.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 am

Post by AurorusVox »

@AV - What trio are you referring to when talking of thor? (How do they normally act etc.)
I have no idea how they play together normally, I'm referring to Thor saying that he and Nobody Special might get a game without Ythan and how fate often has cruel twists in store for people...
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Okay. NO ONE else can replace out. I said so. ;)

A few random thoughts picked up along the way:
Thor665 wrote:One cannot extract newbie tells out of whole cloth, pressure must be added to the mix with a slight simmering of accusations before the newbie flavor comes out.
I don't know whether there is a category in the Scummies for awesome quotes, but this one should win!
Thor665 wrote:I will caution you though - if you find me abrasive and difficult to deal with you may have a rough time in other game threads.
QFT. Thor is one of the most easy-going players I have played with. (Doesn't mean he's not scum.)

That said, Thor is playing very
very
town, and while that's usually a good thing, I think he's going a bit far with it. The back and forth between Thor and SB is also slightly suspicious. Potential coaching?

I'm concerned that silverbullet's meltdown may mean he's newbie scum who succumbed to pressure and just... lost it.
silverbullet999 wrote:As for the first part, there's a method i'm going for that I'd rather not reveal... if you want to know though keep asking and i will tell you.
NO. Either you've got a reason for not answering something, or you answer it. None of this pussy-footing around, being coy, "if you just ask nicely I'll tell you."

(I'm not sure why, but this just sets me off.)

[useless] ::: gives Aurorus a cookie for being an awesome lemon ::: [/useless]

Am rather baffled at the mostly-useless debate over who's more abrasive.
Sauron wrote: ISOing oneself? Is that a thing? Do people do that? Either way, this amuses me greatly.
I do it all the time. Doesn't everyone?
Thor665 wrote:I'll say hey to Nobody; it looks like you and I finally get a game without Ythan in it.
Shhh. Oh, now you've done it. He'll be here to replace someone, I bet.
silverbullet999 wrote:@Nacho (In regards to lynching hip or not) I'm willing to lynch him when the dead line gets a bit closer at this point and time. (Hope this doesn't get misinterpreted... I'm saying right now.. I'm a go for his lynching.. but not right now... when the deadline gets a little closer I will).
Again with the waffling! Stop that. Either you're ready to lynch hiphop/sweeney or you aren't. I doubt much will happen prior to deadline to change anyone's opinion of sweeney (nothing personal, sweeney! You've just replaced into a heavily-pressured spot).

Overall, my scummiest candidate is:

Vote: silverbullet
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Thor665 »

Nobody Special wrote:That said, Thor is playing very
very
town, and while that's usually a good thing, I think he's going a bit far with it.
Thor is being too townie to be townie.

I agree with you about the way silverbullet is looking for coaching from me, and I dinged him on that not long ago. I suggest the following two caveats;

1. He could simply be scum buddying to me
2. He could simply be newbie attaching to the towniest player he sees

Since I know I'm not scum I'm looking at one of those as a possibility.

What are your thoughts on the hiphop/Sweenytodd question? You comment that Sweeny is replacing into a spot with a lot of pressure but do not clarify your own thoughts on that pressure. Thor doth verily demand this information!
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Thor665 wrote:
Nobody Special wrote:That said, Thor is playing very
very
town, and while that's usually a good thing, I think he's going a bit far with it.
Thor is being too townie to be townie.
I
knew
you'd pick up on that! The problem is, here, that *I* can say you're too townie, and *you* can say you're too townie, but honestly, there's a limit. It boils down, essentially, to WIFOM.
Thor665 wrote:I agree with you about the way silverbullet is looking for coaching from me, and I dinged him on that not long ago. I suggest the following two caveats;

1. He could simply be scum buddying to me
2. He could simply be newbie attaching to the towniest player he sees

Since I know I'm not scum
I'm looking at one of those as a possibility.
You
know you're not scum, but
we
don't. (Hint: See above)
Thor665 wrote:What are your thoughts on the hiphop/Sweenytodd question? You comment that Sweeny is replacing into a spot with a lot of pressure but do not clarify your own thoughts on that pressure. Thor doth verily demand this information!
I think we should give Sweeny some time to attempt to prove himself; I don't believe in a totally clean slate when someone replaces in (except for when *I* replace in, natch) but I also know we can't hold him to hiphop's actions too closely. (I was all ready to vote for hiphop, then -- aaargh -- replacementus interruptus.)
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am

Post by AurorusVox »

If you were that ready to vote for hiphop, do you have anything to ask Sweeny to help you decide whether or not to vote to lynch him now? I understand the difficulties of judging replacements, but if someone is scummy enough to make you "ready to vote" them, then surely their (predecessors) scumminess outweighs those problems?

That said, I'd like to hear the second half of Sweeny's post before we get to lynching anyone (that goes for Sweeny and SB...)
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

Post by silverbullet999 »

Again with the waffling! Stop that. Either you're ready to lynch hiphop/sweeney or you aren't. I doubt much will happen prior to deadline to change anyone's opinion of sweeney (nothing personal, sweeney! You've just replaced into a heavily-pressured spot).
I refute this lovely claim (Lovely misinterpretations... and I tried so hard so it wouldn't be so... alas.) I state that I am ready to lynch him. Though I want to wait til the deadline get's closer. You doubt much will happen... as do I, but you never know.
NO. Either you've got a reason for not answering something, or you answer it. None of this pussy-footing around, being coy, "if you just ask nicely I'll tell you."
Already explained this
Am rather baffled at the mostly-useless debate over who's more abrasive.
Which debate?
... People were right it seems....
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am

Post by Nobody Special »

I'm waiting for Sweeny's second wind (before asking questions).
....what?

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Nobody Special wrote:I
knew
you'd pick up on that! The problem is, here, that *I* can say you're too townie, and *you* can say you're too townie, but honestly, there's a limit. It boils down, essentially, to WIFOM.
No it doesn't.

You can claim I'm scummy because I'm trying to *act* townie - that's fine, that makes sense, and if that's your case go for it.

You have zero case for just saying Thor might be scummy because he's being very
very
townie.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

How about "Thor might be scummy?"
....what?

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Post by Thor665 »

I don't have a lot of faith in that case going too far as currently presented, but I have no intrinsic issues with your logic either.
Sauron
Sauron
Goon
Sauron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Post by Sauron »

Nobody Special wrote:
Vote: silverbullet
Just pointing out, that's L-1. Are there any potential hammerers out there wanting a claim? Does silverbullet have anything to say?
W/L:
0/0 Scum
0/2 Town (Including Newbie 903, where the scum played
beautifully
)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Post by Thor665 »

L-1?

Voting for SB I have - Sauron, Die Prediger, and Nobody Special.

It's 5 to lynch, who am I missing?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”