Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Post by Deer »

Red Star wrote:Seeing as we are about to start soon, I have some questions to ask everybody.

1. Do you prefer a faster paced game or a slower game with discussion?

2. Do you think online mafia is more a psychological game or a logic game?

3. On day 1, do you think that a random lynch is better than no lynch?

4. Do you think that WIFOM is a scumtell?

5. Do you think that OMGUS is a scumtell?

6. Would you classify your playstyle as aggresive, analytical, passive or other (if so, state what).
1. Faster paced.
2. Psychological.
3. Yes.
4. Sometimes.
5. Sometimes.
6. Not sure. I'm usually succinct (as you can tell by my answers) and don't post a whole lot of text-walls. I'm not one of those guys who does ginormous ISO reads for every player in the game, but I catch scum. I analyze in my head but usually don't post everything I'm thinking about the player - only the important stuff.
yabbaguy wrote: @Red_Star: Why are you starting off with Random Questioning Stage? It's an absolutely pointless vehicle for starting discussion, and allows scum to contribute without fear. ANYBODY can answer these questions eloquently and look like a pro-town player.
I tend to disagree. It's not really about looking like a pro-town player at this point either - it's getting to know each other's playstyles, thoughts about mafia in general, etc.

and since you like RVS so much,
vote: yabbaguy
Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Post by Deer »

Wow, I really gotta start using preview. Elias posted the same thing I did and even RVS'd for the same person as me.

unvote, vote: elias_the_thief
for ninja'ing me! >:O
Red Star
Red Star
Goon
Red Star
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Post by Red Star »

There are several advantages of RQS, including getting to know people and finding more out about others' playstyles. However, that being said:
Vote:Thief

There can be only one thief in the house... :P

In all seriousness, the beginning part of the game is mostly getting to know everybody and introductions.
I am watching you
├é┬á ▲
▲ ▲
Thief
Thief
Goon
Thief
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Post by Thief »

I wonder why Red Star chooses me over Elias. Mine is clearly the superior username and avatar.

Vote: Elias_the_thief
Live life so completely that when death comes to you like a thief in the night, there will be nothing left for him to steal.
Dr.Cyanide
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Post by Dr.Cyanide »

Red Star wrote: Seeing as we are about to start soon, I have some questions to ask everybody.

1. Do you prefer a faster paced game or a slower game with discussion?

2. Do you think online mafia is more a psychological game or a logic game?

3. On day 1, do you think that a random lynch is better than no lynch?

4. Do you think that WIFOM is a scumtell?

5. Do you think that OMGUS is a scumtell?

6. Would you classify your playstyle as aggresive, analytical, passive or other (if so, state what).
1. Both. Faster paced games (providing I'm online enough) are good fun. Slower games with more content tend to get more complicated, which I enjoy (brain-snappingly complicated games can drive you crazy, and that's entertaining.)

2. Again, both.

3. Depends on the game.

4. Depends on the situation.

5. Sometimes, depends on the player/ context I guess.

6. Uhmm, pass? I can be alot of those things, depending on what's going on in game.

Vote: Deer
'cause 'It's hunting season. Scum-hunting season.'

Yar.
Show
"When I said that Mercy stood,
Within the borders of the wood,
I meant the lenient beast with claws,
And bloody swift-dispatching jaws."

"Cyanide has the BEST avatar ever." ~animorpherv1

Back from Sabbatical. Yay me.
VibeBox
VibeBox
Townie
VibeBox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 am

Post by VibeBox »

Vote: Dr.Cyanide

Just like a doctor to make us wait.
Dr.Cyanide
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 am

Post by Dr.Cyanide »

Unvote. Vote: Vibebox.

Enjoy this OMGUS sandwich.
Show

Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 am

Post by Empking »

Vote: Yabba
- Answerring the questions and then saying what you said about the questioner seems scummy to me.

It seems like you
1. Don't want to seem scummy by not answering the questions.
2. Want to gain brownie points by attacking the questioner.

And though they're not really that scummy, you're post seems like you're preoccupied by them.

Dr. Cyanide: Are you trying to act stupid/scummy.
Deer: Why did you change your vote? ("Elias voted the same player" is not an acceptable answer.)
Everyone (other than Elias) : Why didfn't you comment on Elias' serious vote before random voting?
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
VibeBox
VibeBox
Townie
VibeBox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 5:26 am

Post by VibeBox »

Empking wrote:
- Answerring the questions and then saying what you said about the questioner seems scummy to me.
To me it seems like the better scum play is simply to answer them and say nothing else, so as not to draw attention. The more time Town spends on idle chat, the better for Scum.
Empking wrote:It seems like you
This feels like a trap. If he hadn't answered and criticized he probably would have been met with a bunch of "Why don't you want to give info. Anti-Town!".
I'm not saying your suggestion isn't possible, I just disagree.
Empking wrote:And though they're not really that scummy, you're post seems like you're preoccupied by them.
What else was there to be focused on, given the game hadn't even started yet.
Frankly the questions annoyed me because they were posted while we were still technically in confirmation phase, and they have now blurred the line of what should and shouldn't be viewed with an "in-game" context.
Empking wrote:Everyone (other than Elias) : Why didfn't you comment on Elias' serious vote before random voting?
Because it felt like a relatively inconsequential, if somewhat overzealous, attempt to bypass the random stage.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 5:49 am

Post by Empking »

Just answering your points.
VibeBox wrote:
Empking wrote:
To me it seems like the better scum play is simply to answer them and say nothing else, so as not to draw attention. The more time Town spends on idle chat, the better for Scum.
Going under the radar probably won't end up finally winning. Its best to try for pro-town points.
This feels like a trap. If he hadn't answered and criticized he probably would have been met with a bunch of "Why don't you want to give info. Anti-Town!".
Possibly. But only scum would have thought about that. Town would just do what they want.
Empking wrote:And though they're not really that scummy, you're post seems like you're preoccupied by them.
What else was there to be focused on, given the game hadn't even started yet.
Most players didn't think about how best to look town.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 am

Post by yabbaguy »

@Elias (Cc: everyone else voting me): It's always an opinion I've held, not just me thinking like scum this one time. I nearly got swindled in a Newbie game by one player (markish) because he did an excellent job of continuing the RQS throughout the entirety of his stay in the game, even when I squawked at him, too.
1. Do you think it would've been more pro-town if I had not answered the questions? I know your tactic is to go for town points, but trying to determine how scum would optimally play a situation leads to WIFOM circles.
2. An absurd remark. My way to start games is to be as argumentative as possible, because this is a game of arguing (so Deer fell is incorrect, I don't like RVS either). It leads to scumhunting which leads to scum lynching.
So, yes, I want brownie points for beginning to scumhunt, even if it's based on a highly disagreeable opinion. Why is this problematic?
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 am

Post by Empking »

Yabba:

The problem isn't that you did 1 OR 2. The problem is that you did both which is what you'd do if you were paranoid or overthinking it, not if you were just town responding to a post.

The Ad Hom (the reference to my play style) and the frankly ridiculous idea that you shouldn't think how scum would play are also points for you being scum.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:46 am

Post by Chevre »

Vote: Cuetlachti
because that is not a name I want to spell for the duration of the game.

My (very succinct) replies to Red_Star's questions.

1. Slowish. I don't want it sluggish, nor do I like wall o' posts.
2. Truthfully, a logic game. I'm borderline believing all the psychological stuff is a conspiracy :P
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. No.
6. Passive.
Empking wrote:Vote: Yabba - Answerring the questions and then saying what you said about the questioner seems scummy to me.
I agree. If yabbaguy wouldn't have answered the questions and said that, I would have understood his response better.
Empking wrote:Everyone (other than Elias) : Why didfn't you comment on Elias' serious vote before random voting?
I don't think
you
did.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

So the issue seems to be that I'm a hypocrite for answering the questions I stated I despise. I already said outright I did 2.

I know where I made the mistake. I've done this before (as both alignments, granted), answering and badgering the random questions simultaneously, but the past times I have, I've always followed up with the question "What do you learn from my answers?". It's an absolutely ridiculous oversight, but that's why I answer the questions, to make an example of how ridiculous questionnaires are.

@Red Star: What do you learn from my answers?
The Ad Hom (the reference to my play style) and the frankly ridiculous idea that you shouldn't think how scum would play are also points for you being scum.
I don't think you understood my last point correctly. Just because I use your playstyle as a reference does not constitute Ad Hom, to me anyway. I was using it as an example, saying "that's your notion of how you'd play scum, but not all scum play like you do." Hence the WIFOM remark about deducing which way they're going to play the game, if it even falls into that dichotomy.

Clearer this time?

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Cuetlachtli
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Post by Cuetlachtli »

Chevre wrote:
You would be surprised how many ppl vote me for this same exact reason in other games during RVS. That said...

OMGUS!

vote: Chevre
Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Post by Deer »

Empking wrote: Deer: Why did you change your vote? ("Elias voted the same player" is not an acceptable answer.)
I don't like RVS wagons, really. Didn't want to start one, and Elias did ninja me...
Everyone (other than Elias) : Why didfn't you comment on Elias' serious vote before random voting?
Was his vote serious? I thought it was somewhat random, although I can see where you're coming from. I don't necessarily think that yabba's actions were worthy of a serious vote. That being said, I don't find the vote itself all that scummy.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Speaking as the recipient of the vote, Elias' vote was an as-serious-as-can-be vote, I believe. Not random, but not fully developed either.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Not Statistically Significant
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by Elias_the_thief »

Empking wrote: to a post.
I think the Ad Hom point here is kind of a stretch, and honestly I don't think that the point about WIFOM is as bad as you make it out to be. You seem to be a little too eager to paint normal points as scum tells.

Yaggaguy, you are correct about my vote. I figured the more serious it seemed, the less time we spend in the RV/RQS. That being said, there was no serious suspicion behind the vote.
I play the games rul gud.
Dr.Cyanide
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Dr.Cyanide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by Dr.Cyanide »

Empking wrote:Dr. Cyanide: Are you trying to act stupid/scummy.
Dude, it was a joke.

Unvote. Vote: Empking.

I don't like your seriousness. Nor the way you're putting things. Little things like
'going for pro-town points,'
make you look scummy.
Show

Red Star
Red Star
Goon
Red Star
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Post by Red Star »

yabbaguy wrote:1. Faster. Apathy kills Town if it gets out of hand.
2. Both. Like wondering why you started the RQS.
3. Random lynch. NL is uninformative and stupid.
4. Not a catch-all.
5. Not a catch-all.
6. Wildly swingy.

@Red_Star: Why are you starting off with Random Questioning Stage? It's an absolutely pointless vehicle for starting discussion, and allows scum to contribute without fear. ANYBODY can answer these questions eloquently and look like a pro-town player.

Too bad I can't vote right now.

To let you know, RQS is a perfectly acceptable method of getting to know other people you are playing with and seeing if people slip up later. Also, what strikes me as odd is that you consider this scummy, despite the fact that it is literally the only thing we were able to do, seeing as it was pre-game. I personally RVS to have the possibility of accidently screwing over the town on occaision, but in reality there is no foolproof way to win.
yabbaguy wrote:@Red Star: What do you learn from my answers?
First of all, I know that you prefer a faster paced game because in a slow one people lose interest. Secondly, you like to throw around suspicions by accusing the person who asked the questions of acting scummy. Thirdly, you prefer a random lynch over a no-lynch, as it is more revealing and gives more data to work with. Fourthly, you believe that WIFOM and OMGUS are not a valid scumtell, as anybody could use them legitimitely. Finally, you classify your playstyle as extremely erratic, giving you leeway to act however you want and claim it's what you always do.

So far, Dr. Cyanide has voted three completely different people which is either really poor scum play or just plain stupid. Are you intentionally trying to cast as of yet baseless suspicions?
Completely unofficial votecount wrote: yabba-2
elias-2
empking-1
dr cyanide-1
thief-1
That said, I'm
FoS:yabbaguy
and
FoS:Dr. Cyanide
for trying to cast baseless suspicions and accusations, and in Cyanide's case being wishy-washy with votes.
Looks like this game is starting to get out of RVS right about now...
I am watching you
├é┬á ▲
▲ ▲
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 5:17 am

Post by Empking »

yabbaguy wrote: Clearer this time?
Yeah its much clearer. Thank you.

Deer: Have you got any other games when you unvoted to prevent an RVS wagon?

Cyanide: So the answer is: "Yes I was trying to act stupid in order to garner a laugh"?

What's wrong with "Going for pro-town points"? How would you put it?
VibeBox
VibeBox
Townie
VibeBox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 am

Post by VibeBox »

Empking wrote:Just answering your points.

Going under the radar probably won't end up finally winning. Its best to try for pro-town points.

Possibly. But only scum would have thought about that. Town would just do what they want.

Most players didn't think about how best to look town.
I see your points on all accounts here, but feel they could just as easily be playstyle as opposed to scummyness.

I have a question for you though. Why have you singled out Cyanide's OMGUS vote as being worthy of mention, but not any of the random votes immediately before and after it?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Empking »

He was being delibarately stupid and ridiculous. That's different from making a RV with a comment.
VibeBox
VibeBox
Townie
VibeBox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 7:46 am

Post by VibeBox »

Empking wrote:He was being delibarately stupid and ridiculous. That's different from making a RV with a comment.
How exactly is this:
Dr.Cyanide wrote:
Vote: Deer
'cause 'It's hunting season. Scum-hunting season.'

Yar.
Any more "stupid and ridiculous" than this:
VibeBox wrote:
Vote: Dr.Cyanide

Just like a doctor to make us wait.
Or this:
Chevre wrote:
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 7:57 am

Post by Empking »

It isn't.

This is:
Dr.Cyanide wrote:
Unvote. Vote: Vibebox.

Enjoy this OMGUS sandwich.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”