Newbie 958 ~Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Fri May 14, 2010 6:24 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

/confirm
Now that I know that I'm breaking to pieces, I'll pull out my heart and I'll feed it to anyone.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (isolation #1) » Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

((Sorry for any future delays, as I have a job from 9-5 during the week, and cannot check my computer while there. I'll try and make up for it on my offtime!)

Hey, all.

So, I'm confused as to what exactly I did to get voted. It seems sort of silly to be throwing votes around like this- doesn't exactly seem like it'll get a lot done.

Or is that how you do this- instead of having any sort of rational discussion, you fling accusations and then everyone splits hairs about what was said until a choice is made?

Just checking.
Now that I know that I'm breaking to pieces, I'll pull out my heart and I'll feed it to anyone.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (isolation #2) » Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Also, metagaming is silly.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (isolation #3) » Sun May 16, 2010 4:44 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

I know what it is- and it's what happens in mafia games that you play in real-life as well. People randomly start accusing each other, and then a decision is made based on the initial accusations. Ideally. What it usually boils down to is insults, and mob rule.

Stating that you're using a number generator is really not doing anything at all, is it? It is essentially releasing you of having any ulterior motives other than just trying to get someone lynched. Actually, it seems sort of silly, in that you have no particular motivations behind any choices you could make- a deliberate attempt to appear as neutral as possible while trying to off someone. Hrmmm.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Incognito wrote:@ThatTumblweed:
I voted you because of "Incog Theory". It's this theory I made up awhile back that basically stated that the first person to post in a thread is likely scum. It's only worked about 50% of the time, so I use the reason now largely for poops and giggles - I couldn't think of anything wittier to vote anyone for. If you think the so-called RVS is silly, how do you propose we kick the game off instead?
You're right, you're right. I can't really think of any other way to do it. I suppose that on some level, even in a fictional setting, the idea of lynching someone and having had some part of it is a little disquieting to me. Especially if the person is chosen at random. Though I suppose that if I were to move for a no-lynch, or try and hinder actual voting is allowing an opportunity for the scum to take another innocent.

On that note, I suppose having some motivation is better than none. I like your use of that past knowledge much more than the random number generator.
Incognito wrote: Why?
Mostly because I don't have any past game experience of my own to rely on. The meta of this is unfamiliar to me and it feels like you're talking over my head.
Incognito wrote: Incidentally, do you think scum or town would be more likely to use a number generator to place a vote? Or do you think it's a complete null-tell?
I feel like it's more of a null-tell than anything else. Scum have no more reason to use one at this point in the game than anyone else does. While town would use one to truly be neutral and random, scum would use one because they don't have any reason to want any one particular person taken care of yet.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (isolation #5) » Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@Earlder1

Only the things that matter.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (isolation #6) » Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@Incognito

No, I wasn't really aware that it wasn't the same thing. Again, all of my experience with this game lies in real-world games, and those generally tend to bandwagon votes extremely quickly, so when I see that someone has voted me, my panic instinct kicks in, as when I play in real-life games, as usually it means less than five minutes later I'll be killed. A lot of this will be me learning the difference between these games.

Also, the usefulness of bandwagoning is... I'm guessing to drive someone into a corner so they're forced to defend themselves?

@remouk

With all the questions and poking going around, you don't have any clues? I've been picking up vibes pretty well. Is this you just determined to stay as neutral as possible by evading the question?

@Earlder1

I haven't played to know whether or not things like topic diversion are scummy or not, but it is kind of obnoxious.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (isolation #7) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@remouk

Well, since it seems like everyone else is at least willing to enter into conversations about things, could you at least seem how it might be suspect that you either don't have an opinion or any views, or really want us to think that you don't? You just seem to be as neutral as you could possibly be, and what's more is that you keep pointing this out for us.

Even if it's not the greatest reasoning, I find your game behavior more suspicious than anything else at this point.

Vote: Remouk

@Earlder1

Since I don't have any point of reference, I just thought the divergent conversational path was a bit odd seeing as how the rest of us are trying to find scum, and you wanted us to guess what the picture in your avatar was about. Tell me, was that comment meant to evoke reactions, or did you really just want all of us to guess about your lizard?
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (isolation #8) » Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@alta

There's as much evidence to go after him as there is anyone else. It's not really a claim of his assured scumminess as much as it is naming him as the person that I find to be the most suspicious.

I don't think it's weird that he's not talking about anything. I think it's weird that he's not talking about anything and wants us to know that he's not talking about anything.

It's just a slightly more informed vote than the more popular random ones.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (isolation #9) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@Earlder1

And mine is alternate art Poliwrath! But I don't think it's relevant to the issue at hand.

Just a little strange is all I'm saying.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (isolation #10) » Mon May 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@leech

You should of course use your past experiences with him. It's less that I think using meta is silly and more that not having past experience myself, I can't really see how it can flavor the way you would perform in multiple games. I can imagine, but it's not a first-hand that I can really experience.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (isolation #11) » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

So, now it appears to me, after having it oh-so-gently pointed out to me, that Alta and Remouk are acting almost exactly the same. No-content posting and dismissals of asked opinions due to lack of evidence.

However, Earlder1 has jumped, nay, VAULTED far, far ahead of everyone else as far as scummy appearance in my eyes. With the initial avatar dig I thought he might just be trying to throw a bit of confusion into the mix, but now that it's in discussion, his active attempted to not seem as though he is "obvtown" seem horribly, horribly scummy.

unvote

I'm removing my vote from remouk, but I'm hesitant to throw it straight to Earlder. He seems a great deal more scummy that remouk did to me, but I don't want to go vote-slinging again.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (isolation #12) » Fri May 21, 2010 11:42 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

I realize that there have been very few posts, and I've been coming back to see if there is anything being posted that I should respond to, but I don't feel like there's really anything I'm observing that hasn't been pointed out by other players.

I really find remouk to still be scummy, as his one content-laden post didn't dispel any of my previous thoughts. His defense of Alta is a little strange to me, as I didn't really see alta as "protecting" remouk as much as he was defending himself and using remouk as an example. Protect seems an odd choice of words there. I also really disagree with his read on Incog, as I don't think his arguments are that strong.

Earlder has jumped head-over-hand ahead of remouk on my scumminess radar. If I wasn't going to be putting him terribly close to being lynched, I would vote him. But as he says, he hopes he has a chance to redeem the fact that he's "playing horribly." Though I feel like claiming a town identity even as you are the most obviously scummy to be a bit weak.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (isolation #13) » Sun May 23, 2010 3:29 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@remouk

The only one who is admitting that they think that way, at least.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (isolation #14) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:09 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

I'm the towniest of townies, eh? I suppose I'm glad my exhibited behavior matches my role.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #128 (isolation #15) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:16 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

I'm the towniest of townies, eh? I suppose I'm glad my exhibited behavior matches my role.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (isolation #16) » Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Sorry for the double post earlier, the site is giving me mad bugs. I'll start working on an analysis.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #139 (isolation #17) » Tue May 25, 2010 8:28 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Since all of the cool kids seems to be doing it, and Earlder1 requested that I do so, I present to the rest of you fine people my analysis of how I view each of the current players.

Earlder1: started out as being sort of playful, and then, perhaps thinking that the mood was a bit lighter than it actually was, made the avatar comment that started my suspicions as to his scumminess. I wouldn't have even known that it was considered scummy unless he hadn't pointed it out himself in the same post. To me it just seemed off topic, which is actually scummy when you're trying to figure out whodunnit. What was more scummy was how he reacted to brianj's voting after he made the comment. He seemed so surprised that anyone would use the scummy thing that he just did as a reason to vote for him at an early point in the game. But he continously claims that he is town, and bemoans his scummy appearance. I've been thinking that it could have been just the early plays that led me to read scum on him, but rereading the thread has given me a lot more solidity to my belief.

remouk: never really contributed much in the beginning, despite being asked and prompted several times by different players. He picked up in posting, but still stayed pretty neutral with what he said, in my opinion. I still read scum on this one.

Coach Travis: I get a decent town vibe from him. He started with analysis pretty early on, and seems to be actively scum hunting. He seems to think out his postings very well, which is a nulltell in my eyes.

Shadow Dancer: of course, with the newly swapped player, it's nearly impossible to have any sort of read. Alta was very wishy washy and didn't seem to have anything concrete to say. I'll reserve the right to come back and put in my two cents on our new addition once they've made enough posts to get a read from.

brianj: started out as very instagating and accusatory, but helped to get the provebial ball rolling. I get a pretty well defined protown read from him, as he shrewdly hunts scum and has very good arguments. I get a neutral to slight scum reading on how sharply he attacks other people.

LordChronos: starts out seeming very removed and distant. True to his signature, he seemed like a talking computer. He later starts contributing to the scum hunt in a way that gave me a protown read, seeming to not let anything slip by him. As such, I have a neutral read on him.

Leech: had a pretty late entry to the game, but came in strong. From the first post, gave me a strange, netural "voice from the sky" sort of reading. He seems very removed and observational, and has nothing to really base an opinion on. So few posts!

Incognito: even from the beginning, I read Incog as more of a very knowledgable and helpful member of the town. He helped to get the vote started using a theory that he came up with, which I consider better than using any sort of random guessing mechanism. As the game furthers, I think I feel a creeping suspicion about him, but I have absolutely no evidence to support it. I suppose it's how well he plays that has me reluctant to place any trust in him, despite the fact that I can't help but be swayed by the things that he says. '

So, in summation, my list from scummiest to least scummy goes (leaving out leech and ShadowDancer for lack of evidence) :
1. Earlder1
2. remouk
3. brianj
4. Incognito
5. Lord Chronos
6. Coach Travis
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #141 (isolation #18) » Tue May 25, 2010 8:30 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Crap, forgot to add on to the end of this one,
vote: Earlder1
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #174 (isolation #19) » Fri May 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

Ack! Sorry guys. I've been readig and keeping up, but didn't have anything to contribute as I was doing so. This weekend is a busy one, so I'll post more analysis on Monday (and I have some! I just haven't gone back through and made it coherent yet.)

Super sorry!
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #175 (isolation #20) » Fri May 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

And by Monday I mean Sunday.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”