Newbie 958 ~Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 am

Post by Nikanor »

Vote Count 1.2

Earlder1 (2)
- brianj, Incognito
brianj (1)
- LordChronos
LordChronos (1)
- Coach Travis
Alta (1)
- Earlder1
Coach Travis (1)
- remouk
remouk (1)
- Alta

Not Voting (2)
- ThatTumblweed, Leech

With nine players alive, five votes are required to lynch.

Deadline falls on Saturday June 5 at 17:14 UTC.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
remouk
remouk
Townie
remouk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 10:28 am

Post by remouk »

ThatTumblweed wrote:@remouk

With all the questions and poking going around, you don't have any clues? I've been picking up vibes pretty well. Is this you just determined to stay as neutral as possible by evading the question?
I did not evade the question, I answered as clearly as I could. Sorry if I still don't have any lead... :D
Incognito wrote:remouk, it's usually just a good idea to just give your thoughts on situations. Let us know what you're thinking, etc. Once you do that, I'm sure the questions will just flow naturally. If you're town, we obviously need to
a)
figure out that you're town based on what you're posting and
b)
maybe notice things that you
yourself
may have noticed that maybe none of us have noticed. By keeping your thoughts bottled up, that doesn't help us at all if you're town, but I could see how it might help you if you're scum.
I totally understand. Don't forget that I did give all my thoughts. The thing is, I still don't have anything to say about your behaviors. Maybe I need a little bit more time than you.
Incognito wrote:Incidentally, remouk, based on your title of "Goon" I'm guessing you've played at least one other game on here. I haven't looked at the game but were you scum there or town? If you were town, did you have a difficult time figuring out what to say there too?
Yes I played my first game here, just like here I was town. I won and yeah, you can read that in the begining I didn't talk a lot (I didn't know what to say/ask), I observed and it was seen as lurking, they thought it was scummy so I had to explain myself and change my playstyle. I don't want that to happen again because it made the game tough for me, that's why I'm clearly saying that I still don't have any clue.
Knowledge is power.
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Alrighty then. I have a couple things to respond to.

@brianj
First off, reasons for me being scummy? Is it because of my comment about my avatar?

If so, then please explain how it is so scummy. As I mentioned in post, I know that diverging is generally considered scummy, but since it is soooo early, I don't really think I'm distracting the conversation from anything productive. Perhaps if I'm trying to take away talk about an important topic, that may be scummy but a random comment this early isn't delaying or derailing anything. It's mostly to be funny and perhaps kind of introduce my personality into the forum. Take from it what you will. Also, in my first game, Newbie 919, I did the exact same thing and I was aas town as could be. I am confident that you will see the same thing from my posts in this game as well.

Secondly, how did someone edit my post? I didn't write Iguana in purple letters. Does that mean it's the mod? I figure it has to be, but clarification would be nice anyways.
Mortality is the number 1 cause of death.

Town: 2-2
Scum: 1-0
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@remouk

Well, since it seems like everyone else is at least willing to enter into conversations about things, could you at least seem how it might be suspect that you either don't have an opinion or any views, or really want us to think that you don't? You just seem to be as neutral as you could possibly be, and what's more is that you keep pointing this out for us.

Even if it's not the greatest reasoning, I find your game behavior more suspicious than anything else at this point.

Vote: Remouk

@Earlder1

Since I don't have any point of reference, I just thought the divergent conversational path was a bit odd seeing as how the rest of us are trying to find scum, and you wanted us to guess what the picture in your avatar was about. Tell me, was that comment meant to evoke reactions, or did you really just want all of us to guess about your lizard?
Now that I know that I'm breaking to pieces, I'll pull out my heart and I'll feed it to anyone.
brianj
brianj
Goon
brianj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 am

Post by brianj »

@Earlder1
I am somewhat surprised at your reaction toward my vote. In the RV phase, where we literally have nothing to go upon and people are making a vote for slightest of reasons, you are surprised that I have placed the vote on you due to your actions, especially when you admitted that your post could be seen as suspicious? My vote stays until the other persuasive target appears.

And yes, mods do have privilege to edit people's posts, which is why mods have their own colours to avoid confusion. Such edits are generally done to the first post in each page, where the mod would put in the votecount list.
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:36 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@ Tumbleweed

I really wanted people to guess about my avatar. :)

@ brianj

Well, random voting is one thing, but calling me scum, is a bit more serious. That's why I decided to reply. I didn't even mention incog's vote because it's obvious his is just random. You calling me scum, however, I felt needed recourse.

brianj
brianj
Goon
brianj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:42 am

Post by brianj »

Oh, that's why. I thought tone of my wording "OMG you scum" was adequate enough to explain its nature. Word 'scum' is thrown around quite frequently by some of the players in this website.

I also know what the animal your avatar is, but I'll disqualify myself since I cheated 8-)
Alta
Alta
Townie
Alta
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 am

Post by Alta »

@ThatTumbleweed

I don't think there is enough evidence to really go after remouk at this point. It just doesn't seem very weird to me for him to not be sure about anything. If he is Town then he wouldn't have any idea about who is scum and who isn't
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@alta

There's as much evidence to go after him as there is anyone else. It's not really a claim of his assured scumminess as much as it is naming him as the person that I find to be the most suspicious.

I don't think it's weird that he's not talking about anything. I think it's weird that he's not talking about anything and wants us to know that he's not talking about anything.

It's just a slightly more informed vote than the more popular random ones.
Now that I know that I'm breaking to pieces, I'll pull out my heart and I'll feed it to anyone.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

I'm not sure yet if I find Remouk scummy:On the one hand, he is being an active lurker(meaning your posting but not really adding much0, but I can also see how it takes some people a while to really pick up reads. I'm having the same problem. So for now I will look out for Remouk, and he's probably the most suspicious to me right now, but it's only a minor thing at this point.

Though I've never liked bandwagons in the RVS stage, so I'm also a bit suspicious of Incognito for even suggesting such a thing at this point.
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by LordChronos »

@Incog

I have played with Zorblag before and he is good at both town and scum. I have no doubt that others of the experienced players on this site are good at being both town and scum.

Actually, I have only ever seen someone dice vote once and as it turned out, he does it all the time and turned out to be an confirmed mason.
Alta wrote:@ThatTumbleweed

I don't think there is enough evidence to really go after remouk at this point. It just doesn't seem very weird to me for him to not be sure about anything. If he is Town then he wouldn't have any idea about who is scum and who isn't
Mod wrote:remouk (1) - Alta
Hypocritical, much?
I'm a talking computer.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Earlder1 wrote:I didn't write Iguana in purple letters. Does that mean it's the mod?
Yes, that was I. If tiny purple letters appear at the bottom of your post, assume it was me.

Also, someone PMed me a question about linking to posts. To link to a post, right-click on the little paper-like image in the top-left hand corner of a post, and click "copy link location". Then paste the link in [url] tags, and voila.
Alta
Alta
Townie
Alta
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Post by Alta »

@LordChronos

Yeah, I was thinking about that, however my vote was just random while ThatTumbleweed's vote was a far more serious accusation. Anyway I guess that Remouk's actions are pretty suspicious but I don't know if I would consider them enough to lynch him.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by Incognito »

Post 55, Earlder1 wrote:Well, random voting is one thing, but calling me scum, is a bit more serious. That's why I decided to reply. I didn't even mention incog's vote because it's obvious his is just random. You calling me scum, however, I felt needed recourse.
Er, I assure you that my vote was not random. I have very good reason for switching my vote to you even though I didn't provide my reasoning, and I don't think I'd ever switch from one fairly arbitrary vote to yet another arbitrary vote like that anyway. If you thought my vote was random though, you really wouldn't feel the need to question me about it? That strikes me as a bit counterintuitive at this point.

I don't mind ThatTumblweed's vote on remouk - he's still a big neutral read for me. I could see how his actions might make sense coming from a newbie town perspective since I do think that newbie players might have a harder time developing reads particularly early on (especially considering his claimed language barrier), but maybe a bit more pressure will get him to pipe in with actual reads of people.

Post 59, Coach Travis wrote:Though I've never liked bandwagons in the RVS stage, so I'm also a bit suspicious of Incognito for even suggesting such a thing at this point.
What's suspicious about it?

@LordChronos: Fair enough.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@ Incog

Well, be it a pressure vote or just a vote because you think I am scummy, if you provide a reason, I will provide a defense. Otherwise I suppose it's best left where it is.

Well, I'm not sure Alta deserves my vote at the moment, so I shall reassign it to the person I currently find the most scummy.

Unvote

Vote: Coach Travis

Read his last post. I percieve complete neutrality as scummy because scum like to stay off radar. I know this is weak at best, but with only three pages of information, this is the scummiest thing I've seen.

@ Coach Travis
Have you non-neutral opinions about people so far? Although early, there is still some slight information to go off of. Any leanings?

@Everyone except the mod

It's a tuatara! Go look it up in your spare time. It's a fascinating creature.

Axolotls are better. ~Nik

ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@Earlder1

And mine is alternate art Poliwrath! But I don't think it's relevant to the issue at hand.

Just a little strange is all I'm saying.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

@Incognito

You're vote seemed random, and you specifically said it was good to start a bandwagon. However, considering we're still in RVS with little actual evidence, to suggest putting multiple votes on one player, which could potentially put them in danger, just comes across as scummy. Also, if you have an actual reason to vote him but never give that reason, that just makes it worse.

@Earlder

At this point, I have one strong positive read, and one somewhat negative read:ThatTumblweed is doing a good job of trying to focus us during the early stage(calling out an off-topic post), and has somewhat of a case already. This shows he's willing to scum hunt, which is a good thing for the town.

And because of what I mentioned above, and just an overall bad feeling of him that I can't otherwise explain right now, Incognito currently gets a scum read.

At the moment I'm leaning towards town for you, though that's a bit less certain than the other two, and I'd say right now ThatTumblweed has my clearest read. Everyone else I'm still not really sure about yet.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Post by Incognito »

Coach Travis, I sometimes don't provide reasoning for my votes to try and see who might be thinking along the same lines as me when I place an unexplained vote. I figure that if a person can see what I see when I didn't even have to explain it, there's a decent chance that the person who has seen what I've also seen is likely thinking along the same lines I am and could potentially be pro-town. I wouldn't realistically leave an unexplained vote on a person up until the point that the person gets lynched, but I do think it's a good initial indicator.

Since you and Earlder1 have requested reasons though, I'm just seeing a pattern coming from him that I'm not entirely comfortable with. In his opening post he mentioned that he didn't want to place another vote on me because I already had one (he explained that he did this because he wants to make sure that everyone gets attention but if he's scum he might have done it in order to not seem suspicious) and then on page 2 he made the comment about how he thought he'd seem scummy for trying to diverge conversation. Both points just give me the feeling that he might be more concerned about how he appears to everyone else than I'd expect someone who's town to be concerned about. It's usually scum who try to focus more on their appearance to everyone else than town does - town is usually just concerned with finding scum, period.
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Leech
Leech
Goon
Leech
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Post by Leech »

Sorry for the late entry, I've been pretty busy and the site has been absolutely hating me. Anyway, was there an RVS in this game? Did I miss my chance to vote for Incognito for being the center of attention, which is a blatant contradiction to his name?! I think I did... Sad.
LordChronos wrote:Given that Incog has won all of his 8 games as scum, doesn't that mean he is a good player. He has a 7/9 chance to be town, so why do you want to get rid of a good player who is likely to be town?
He's also lost more games as town than he's won. Doesn't that mean he's better at being deceiving than being helpful to the town? You should take all things into consideration.
BrianJ wrote:By the way, I lost my first game as Mafia, so my win rate as a scum is 0%. If anyone wants to vote for me please consider that I am player who is likely to be town and fails at playing for scum side!

We are all more likely to be town, that point is irrelevant. I don't like how you closed that though. "I fail at playing scum" could easily just be a preemptive aversion to pressure. It's null, as I could see both newb town and scum saying that, but I'll keep that comment in mind later.
LordChronos wrote:If they do all of the time, and can provide game links to show this, I would say it is a null tell. I hate RNG votes though because they don't lead to any discussion beyond whether RNG usage is a scumtell.
...Which then turns into a discussion about the reasoning for each player's perspective on the matter, which turns into something else. Yes, the topic itself is pointless, but the topics that get spawned from those topics usually end up being useful. Even RNG votes serve a point in the grande scheme of things. Though, personally, I prefer a heated RVS that turns to discussion quickly. Doesn't seem too RVS'y at the moment, which is nice.
Earlder wrote:I didn't wanna give you your second vote. I guess at this stage, it isn't entirely important, but I feel everyone should have their name thrown around in this stage. It is less helpful to try and generate conversation by voting randomly if not that many people are getting voted. With that thought, I prefered to vote for someone without a vote yet.
We could throw around the names of all the players equally, but that would get us no where fast. I'm a fan of early game bandwagons to put pressure on someone, and see where that goes. This not only shows you how that player will apply to pressure, but how the other players will respond to the wagon, in general.
ThatTumbleweed wrote:Mostly because I don't have any past game experience of my own to rely on. The meta of this is unfamiliar to me and it feels like you're talking over my head.
You think using Meta is silly, because not all players have it on this site? I don't think so, at all. If anything it's a good subject to discuss to get the game going. Also, when someone has played as many games that Incog has, you will eventually notice patterns that will give you a hint to how he plays on each side. While, it's not something I'd lynch for, it's something you should always consider.

Answer me this: I just finished a newbie game where LordChronos was scum, should I forget how he acted in that game here? Or, should I see if he plays differently?
LordChronos wrote:Hypocritical, much?
Misrep an RVS vote, much?
Coach Travis wrote:You're vote seemed random, and you specifically said it was good to start a bandwagon. However, considering we're still in RVS with little actual evidence, to suggest putting multiple votes on one player, which could potentially put them in danger, just comes across as scummy. Also, if you have an actual reason to vote him but never give that reason, that just makes it worse.
You need to worry less about someone getting multiple votes, and more about the benefits from bandwagoning. If someone quick hammers out of the blue, you should thank the scum for being that blatant.
ThatTumblweed
ThatTumblweed
Townie
ThatTumblweed
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Post by ThatTumblweed »

@leech

You should of course use your past experiences with him. It's less that I think using meta is silly and more that not having past experience myself, I can't really see how it can flavor the way you would perform in multiple games. I can imagine, but it's not a first-hand that I can really experience.
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@Leech

Great contribution with that first post. Any leanings?

@Incog

Well, I can see what you're saying, but I still like my reasoning for both. I see the logic in early bandwagon's but I also think there is merit to putting everyone on the slate. I'd be a shame if randomly (since it is all random voting) the scum didn't get a vote, and then was not mentioned as a candidate on that day because he was never pressured early and caused to slip. Also, I just wanted to add my disclaimer when talking about my avatar because I know that is a general scumtell. I didn't want people to get the wrong impression of my harmless question regarding my avatar. I was just trying to be fun.

LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 am

Post by LordChronos »

@Earlder

While that may be true, a single random vote isn't much pressure. I also don't like the fact that you are constantly telling us how not scummy your avatar discussion thing is. I would find it much less suspicious if you just did it, but the continual "I was just having fun, it wasn't scummy", is getting odd.

@Leech

Losing games as town and winning as scum doesn't necessarily mean you are better at deceiving than helping the town. For example, one of my scum wins only happened because one of the townies acted like an idiot. Just because the other townie alive at that point lost doesn't mean he didn't play well; he did.
I'm a talking computer.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Incognito »

Post 68, Leech wrote:He's also lost more games as town than he's won. Doesn't that mean he's better at being deceiving than being helpful to the town? You should take all things into consideration.
Not necessarily.

I'm not being full of myself or anything, but I think I'm actually a pretty good town player (except for that terrible, terrible, no-good, really, really, horrible, bad, bad, bad, game called Pick Your Poison 3 that I advise nobody, nobody, nobody should ever look through). Last year, I just had a habit of dying really early-on so that my influence wasn't in the game very long and this year, so far I've only had one completed game as town and well, I think the phrase "the side that has the larger amount of village idiots usually loses" probably would go well with that game. Though, in that game, we only had one village idiot, and he ended up costing us the game.

-~-~-~

LordChronos, who's scum?
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2010 4:39 am

Post by Incognito »

Oh and Earlder1, fair enough I guess. I'll be keeping my vote where it is in the meantime though.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2010 6:25 am

Post by Nikanor »

Bumping vote count.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”