Newbie 940 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Nachomamma8 wrote:
Okay, so we don't have a doctor.

Why are you claiming now? You weren't in danger of being lynched.
Secondly, why didn't you claim your targets?
Thirdly, why are you deciding to ride the fence? Are you going to bus your partner, or are you going to try to go for the win and get me lynched?
As far as the bolded, WHAT? I just claimed. Unless that was a typo...?

I'm claiming now because I though it was the right time to claim (read my last Doc game and you'll see, I didn't know what I was doing then, either).

Secondly, Night 1 I protected Aurorus Vox (which is how I figured out that there was a Cop); Night 2 I protected Thor. (I thought he might have been the Cop.)

Thirdly, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you assuming I'm lying about being the Doc? Honestly, I don't get it. Is it because I didn't vote?
Equinox wrote:Nobody Special is riding the fence because Haylen and Thor665 are riding the fence. Haylen requested more time to reflect on all of this. Thor665 has stated he leans towards you being cop, but he has his reservations and is open to hearing me out. The most obvious townish move for Nobody Special would be to ride the fence.
Does "riding the fence" = "not voting"? Sorry, but I was a bit apprehensive about claiming in the first place (wasn't truly sure if it was the best time). That's why I didn't vote.
Equinox wrote:I will now assume that both you and Nobody Special is scum. I'm covering my bases.

Nobody Special is riding the fence because if he suddenly pitched in with your cop claim and denounced me as Equiscum, then it would become even more painfully obvious that he is scum. There is even the possibility that such a move would shift Haylen's and Thor665's to you instead of me. It is the best move for Scummy Special.
I don't understand how, if I vote you now, I'll appear as scum. Serisouly, can you explain this better?
Equinox wrote:I will assume Nobody Special really is the doctor.

Nobody Special, as the doctor, only knows who he has saved and who he hasn't. Besides his medical training and ocean floor level debt, he has no other information. He would not be sure if you really are the cop; therefore, he has to ride the fence along with Haylen and Thor665 until he sees something that will sway him either way.
Good assumption -- because I actually
am
the Doc. Wait, I'll address this point after you amend it (later).
Equinox wrote:I am unable to explain why Nobody Special, in the scenario that he really is doctor, refuses to post his targets. Even if I had a possible explanation, I want him to post first, since I'd rather not influence Scummy Special.
I didn't refuse. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. See above.
Equinox wrote:I misread. I am not making this any easier on myself, am I...

Nobody Special is firm that there is a roleblocker and a cop.

Let me amend my previous case, quoted here:
Equinox wrote:Nobody Special, as the doctor, only knows who he has saved and who he hasn't. Besides his medical training and ocean floor level debt, he has no other information. He would not be sure if you really are the cop; therefore, he has to ride the fence along with Haylen and Thor665 until he sees something that will sway him either way.
Nobody Special, as the doctor, only knows who he has saved and who he hasn't. Besides his medical training and epic amounts of debt, he has no other information, unless his save did not go through and it was not due to moderator error. In this event, he would be sure there is a cop based on the F11 setup.

Equinox, Haylen, and Thor665 have all denied being cop, so there is no counterclaim to Nachocop8. By all accounts, Nobody Special should not be riding the fence unless he believes there are two liars in this game. Considering that three of the players alive are experienced and the fourth is clearly not cop, I do not understand why he would not believe Nachomamma8's cop claim.

In my opinion, he screwed up badly. My condolences, Nachomamma8, unless this, too, was planned. There is hope yet for you, though, since we have yet to convince both Haylen and Thor665 to step to either side of the line.
I hope there's not a Mod Error. (Now you've got me worried.
@Mod? Was there an error?
)

I don't see how I screwed up at all, much less badly. (I seriously need to go read some games, focusing on Doctor play.)

Vote: Equinox
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Before I go to bed in a few minutes...

Equinox wrote: Nobody Special is riding the fence because if he suddenly pitched in with your cop claim and denounced me as Equiscum, then it would become even more painfully obvious that he is scum.
There is even the possibility that such a move would shift Haylen's and Thor665's to you instead of me. It is the best move for Scummy Special.
Equinox wrote: Equinox, Haylen, and Thor665 have all denied being cop, so there is no counterclaim to Nachocop8.
By all accounts, Nobody Special should not be riding the fence unless he believes there are two liars in this game.
Considering that three of the players alive are experienced and the fourth is clearly not cop, I do not understand why he would not believe Nachomamma8's cop claim.
I'm calling coaching.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Post by Equinox »

Nachomamma8 wrote:Thirdly, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you assuming I'm lying about being the Doc? Honestly, I don't get it. Is it because I didn't vote?
There is no plausible explanation for you being doctor. Haylen, Thor665, and I have not counterclaimed cop, and the first two have no reason to lie at this critical juncture. Since you are positive we have a cop, that would mean... you are not the doctor!
Nobody Special wrote:Does "riding the fence" = "not voting"? Sorry, but I was a bit apprehensive about claiming in the first place (wasn't truly sure if it was the best time). That's why I didn't vote.
"Riding the fence" is:
Nobody Special wrote:I'm leaning a bit toward Equinox; I think she's flailing a bit.
Leaning. A bit.

No, you're not sure that Nachomamma8 is cop, despite the fact that there are no counterclaims, and we have an experienced lot. If you were not on the fence and were as sure of a cop as you claimed, you would have voted me in that instant. You did not; ergo, you rode the fence.

Nice one, scum.
Nobody Special wrote:I don't understand how, if I vote you now, I'll appear as scum. Serisouly, can you explain this better?
From my perspective, Nachomamma8's cop claim is bullshit because I actually know the truth. Therefore, if you immediately voted me along with Nachomamma8, you were scum with him. Apparently it didn't need to go that far, as I've already made that judgment.

Also, you have already come under suspicion from before Night 2. I'd have called you scum regardless.

I'll talk a bit more objectively for a moment here. Your doctor claim put you in a catch-22. If you voted immediately with Nachomamma8, I'd have denounced you as scum, regardless of my actual alignment, and I think I could do a reasonable job poking holes in your doctor claim because of your initial reluctance to trust Nachomamma8. If you did not vote with Nachomamma8, I'd have denounced you as scum because nobody else could have been cop, and you were solid that there was a roleblocker.
Nobody Special wrote:I didn't refuse. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. See above.
Fine. I accept that explanation... but you're still scum.
Nobody Special wrote:I hope there's not a Mod Error.
...you're funny. You seriously bolded it for the moderator?

Will VRK really answer that? That's somewhat doubtful. I'd also think he'd have said something beforehand, as that's one hell of a game breaking mistake.
Nobody Special wrote:I don't see how I screwed up at all, much less badly.
1. Nachomamma8 claims cop and clears Haylen.
2. Nobody Special denies being cop.
3. Equinox denies being cop.
4. Thor665 denies being cop.
5. Nachomamma8 claims Equinox is scum.
6. Haylen denies being cop.
7. Nobody Special claims doctor.
8. Nobody Special plays wishy-washy.

Something is wrong, yes.

1. There were no counterclaims to cop.
2. Equinox, Haylen, and Thor665 know better than to not CC if they are actually cop. This is LyLo.
3. Nobody Special claims doctor and a
certainty
that there is a cop.

You had
no reason
to doubt Nachomamma8's claim. Why did you feel the need to say you were "leaning" "a bit" toward Equinox for "flailing" "a bit"? Nachomamma8 already
confirmed
me as scum. As doctor who was blocked, you should have backed Nachomamma8's claim immediately.

Ergo...

YOU ARE SCUM.

Die tomorrow. Unless I die today... because then that would mean you won. Congratulations.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Post by Equinox »

I'm going to bed. I'm going to have to request to Haylen and Thor665 to not hammer me unless there are absolutely zero doubts about my alignment.

Feel free to pose any concerns or whatnot; I'll answer them in the morning. I have already answered Thor665's concerns, but I'm willing to answer more if he has more after I've posted my cases as objectively as possible. I have yet to answer Haylen's, which is why I want to ask for some time.

Thanks, and if I die before I can say anything... oh, well!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Oh dear gawd.

I was planning to pop in and offer a few more thoughts and now see all this.

I'm not going to attempt to slog through this or offer my thoughts as to what to do until after I've had a good night's sleep. I will at least say that if Nobody is really the town Doc then he is absolutely correct about needing to work on his Doc game.

I'm going to bed, I will try to be clever and sort this out tomorrow.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Post by Haylen »

Hi. I'm not going to hammer. At least just yet.

I'm currently going through my usual logic vs gut thing. Logic is telling me that Equinox is scum but my gut is telling me that Nachomamma is scum.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 am

Post by Equinox »

Haylen wrote:Logic is telling me that Equinox is scum but my gut is telling me that Nachomamma is scum.
Does your logic side have anything that I can address?
Thor665 wrote:I was planning to pop in and offer a few more thoughts and now see all this.
You asked. We delivered.
Nachomamma8 wrote:I'm calling coaching.
...so you read my posts.

You did not attempt to poke any holes in my reasoning. You did not attempt to spot any problems with my risk-to-benefit analyses. You did not attempt to address anything else in the walls.

It's clear you read, since you specifically picked out those two sentences to use as examples that I am coaching Nobody Special.

I am therefore going to believe that you actually found no problems with my posts, or addressing them somehow would bring you unwanted attention.

What's wrong, scum?

Did you suddenly forget that I was already bussing Nobody Special? If I'm bussing him for town credential, I'm not about to coach him.
Equinox wrote:There is even the possibility that such a move would shift Haylen's and Thor665's
suspicion
to you instead of me. It is the best move for Scummy Special.
Clearly I am telling Nobody Special to ride the fence.
Equinox wrote:By all accounts, Nobody Special should not be riding the fence unless he believes there are two liars in this game.
Clearly I am telling Nobody Special to not ride the fence.

Oh, what sort of scum buddy am I, throwing out contradictory lessons like that? I should be a politician, not a teacher.

Nachomamma8, you just skimmed it, didn't you? A real cop would've picked that pile to pieces; instead, you just looked and decided that a couple of isolated paragraphs could be made to look like coaching. Scummy cop ran out of ideas!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 am

Post by Thor665 »

Haylen didn't hammer, that means Haylen isn't scum unless she's scum with Equinox - I see no reason to believe Haylen is scum with Equinox, therefore Haylen as town is confirmed.

From my perspective - as soon as Haylen is proven as town it drops the scum teams to;

Equinox/Nobody
Nacho/Nobody
Nacho/Equinox

I believe in Nacho/Equinox not being true (and if it is - well played and an interesting maneuver). This says to me Nobody is the obv. scumbuddy because if Nacho is telling the truth he's the only player left to partner Equinox. If Nacho is lying the lack of Haylen's hammer again makes Nobody the only player left to partner with Nacho.

Vote: Nobody Special

I do recognize that probably what we're dealing with today is still a choice between Nacho/Equinox - but I'm happy to have my vote on a confirmed scum at the moment. Also, the only way this vote loses the game for town is if the team is Nacho/Equinox and in that case we've already lost after the way Nobody has acted.

I'll manage my re-read of hopefully a big chunk of the sections I wish to re-read today and will have some more thoughts up later in the evening.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 am

Post by Equinox »

Please do not interpret this as a scummy move. Normally, I wouldn't object to being lynched as long as it would lead to more information. In this instance, however, I firmly believe that lynching me is the wrong move that could cost us the game. I realize that you don't have the information that I do, so you might also suppose that lynching Nachocop8 could lead to surefire loss for town.

As much as I hate fake cops, and as much as I would love to kill Nachoscum8 right here and right now, I am willing to compromise and lynch the scum buddy first.

Nobody Special is obviously not doctor.

Vote: Nobody Special
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:38 am

Post by Thor665 »

Equinox's play is smart for scum or town in her position. No help there. (I'm also annoyed because the way Equinox plays is similar to my own methods - I have long ago developed a theory that players tend to feel more comfortable around players who play similar to them (and consequently get more town reads on those players) I'm debating how this is affecting my reads on her.)

The more I think about it the more interesting the dynamic between Nacho and Nobody has to be.

@Haylen - I will admit now I am pretty strongly sold on Equinox's defense versus Nobody's Doc claim. If Nobody is Doc, and had been roleblocked, it is indeed odd that he would post a roleclaim and then act iffy about his read on Equinox. Why wouldn't he believe Nacho wholeheartedly at that stage?

Nacho's reply here is
*REALLY*
interesting (emphasized for great justice!!1one!)

Nacho has just admitted he doesn't buy the Doc claim and that Nobody is scum (for the record this is Thor, Equinox, and Nacho now all saying Nobody is scum) By Nacho's logic this should then prove Thor is town.

If Thor is town and Haylen is town (something claimed by Equinox, Thor, and (partly by inference) Nacho) then the only scum pairs possible are the ones I listed earlier Nacho/Equinox, Equinox/Nobody, Nacho/Nobody.

I believe Equinox/Nacho is a coin toss. I believe there is no doubt about Nobody - would you be willing to entertain Nobody as a lynch today? We'll still have to do the coin flip tomorrow but I think doing it this way removes more variables.

Unvote: Nobody
- I don't want this to be at L-1 just at the moment as I want more conversation now.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:39 am

Post by Thor665 »

Unvote: Nobody Special
Just in case of very proper Mod.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Equinox wrote: Nachomamma8, you just skimmed it, didn't you?
A real cop would've picked that pile to pieces;
instead, you just looked and decided that a couple of isolated paragraphs could be made to look like coaching. Scummy cop ran out of ideas!
First off, this is blatant misrepresentation. I was going to bed in a few minutes (like I said DIRECTLY in the post), which means that of course I'm not going to plunge into any indepth analysis. And in response to the bold, if you want me to pick apart your padded case, I gladly will.
Equinox wrote: a. Today's lynch was most likely Nobody Special. If Nobody Special had claimed cop instead, it would have appeared very dubious, no matter if it was true or false. He had played scummy in the game, which was why he had suspicion on him in the first place, so it would have been very difficult for Nobody Special to prove that he was really cop.
Okay, let's assume that I am scum with Nobody. Nobody Special claiming cop would've outed the real cop, thus giving me knowledge of the setup and telling me whether I could falseclaim doctor or not. If no cop counterclaimed, there still would be a pretty good chance that Nobody could push a lynch through on the simple principle of him being an uncounterclaimed PR. So, me claiming cop in the beginning means that there's a chance that I'm going to get counterclaimed and lynched, leaving NS in a 3 person LyLo which he has virtually no chance of surviving.
Equinox wrote: However, with great risk comes great benefit, and this lies in the unexpectedness of Nachomamma8's claim.
You talk about this amazing benefit of me claiming cop as scum, but you don't actually explain it... You realize this, right?
Equinox wrote: If
Nobody Special
succeeded in convincing you
or
Haylen that I was scum based on night investigation, then town would lose the LyLo, and both scum would emerge scot-free. Great benefits, indeed.
Why do my changes make the benefit anything less?
Equinox wrote: It is easier for town to believe Nachomamma8 than Nobody Special. Perhaps you two will have some reservations with the claim, but Nachomamma8 has been playing well in this game. I'd gotten town reads from him for most of the game until hohum flipped town; I would not be surprised if both you and Haylen did as well. A Nachoscum8 cop claim would go a lot better than a Nobody Special cop claim, despite the risk.
This is pretty useless. It's easier for town to believe me as opposed to NS because I am the cop, and he isn't...

Why bring #1 and #3 up? They just make your case look longer.

Now, let me expand on the coaching point. For the first bolded, you said that voting for you would make Thor and Haylen become more suspicious of me, then you said that it would be "the best move for Scummy Special". If you were trying to infer that riding the fence would be the best move for NSscum if he was partner, then I'm not following your logic. If NS suddenly voting you makes ME look scummy, then why wouldn't NS suddenly voting me make you scummy?

For the second bolded, that one shouldn't be hard to figure out. You're telling NS that his fence-sitting is making him look scummier, hell, you even tell him who he should be voting! If that's coaching, then I don't know what is...

There's no way I'm hammering; I'm not 100% sold on NS and I don't want to lose. I can't help but think that there's a possibilty that we're dealing with a Thor gambit here. But why now, why didn't Thor fake-counterclaim me before, why doesn't he just vote me... Gah.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Okay, now that I've been successfully simulposted, I will add that I feel better about Thor. The double vote combo between the two of them made me pretty nervous, especially since it would be the optimal move for scumThor at that point, especially if Equinox was his roleblocker and Nobody is the real Doc. Then, with a roleblocker revealed that had previously claimed vanilla townie, then me and Nobody would have to be telling the truth, and Haylen would also have to be town because the cop claimed an innocent on her, leaving Thor as the last scum. The entire post just seemed impulsive, which is NOT the town Thor I know, which doubly worried me, especially after Haylen's last post "I'm not going to hammer... yet."
Thor665 wrote: Nacho's reply here is *REALLY* interesting (emphasized for great justice!!1one!)
Let me explain that one to you.

I saw the contridiction in Nobody's claim that Equinox noticed, but I wanted to catch him off guard. So I aggressively attacked his claim. I was hoping that I could goad him into attacking me and voting alongside Equinox, which would of course cement his position as scum. Unfortunately, this plan was ruined by Equinox-intervention...

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am

Post by Thor665 »

Nachomamma8 wrote:There's no way I'm hammering; I'm not 100% sold on NS and I don't want to lose. I can't help but think that there's a possibilty that we're dealing with a Thor gambit here. But why now, why didn't Thor fake-counterclaim me before, why doesn't he just vote me... Gah.
I'm neutral towards the histrionics presented here and am not sure I'm sold on the simulpost comment considering the time stamps. Null tell.
Nachomamma8 wrote:The double vote combo between the two of them made me pretty nervous, especially since it would be the optimal move for scumThor at that point
You're being silly - it was also the optimal move for town Thor. As explained, from my logic there was no way Nobody is not the scumbuddy.
Nachomamma8 wrote:The entire post just seemed impulsive, which is NOT the town Thor I know
:? So meta to judge me, eh? As noted above, I do not believe my vote is impulsive - from my position it is logically obvious and I have explicitly stated why.

You played one game with me (my very first on Mafiascum) do you really think you have a read on my town meta? (what is my town meta?)

Also, more seriously, you are calling Nobody a lying Doc but now you feel better about me - if you think Nobody is lying Doc then why would you need to feel better about me? If you still feel questionable about me then why did you call Nobody a lying Doc?
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Sorry about the mistake on the Deadline and # to lynch guys. Game is still going.

@Nobody: What error are you talking about in 675?

Official Vote Count

Equinox - 2 (Nachomamma8, Nobody Special)
Nobody Special - 1 (Equinox)

Not Voting - 2 (Haylen, Thor665)

3 to Lynch.
Deadline
is the end of Tuesday, June 22.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Thor665 wrote: You're being silly - it was also the optimal move for town Thor.
I didn't think of that at the time. The timestamps between your vote and Equinox's unnerved me, what can I say?
Thor665 wrote: You played one game with me (my very first on Mafiascum) do you really think you have a read on my town meta? (what is my town meta?)
We've been playing this game for a month now. I'm pretty sure that I don't need to play thousands and thousands of games with you to notice when your style suddenly changes.
Thor665 wrote: Also, more seriously, you are calling Nobody a lying Doc but now you feel better about me - if you think Nobody is lying Doc then why would you need to feel better about me? If you still feel questionable about me then why did you call Nobody a lying Doc?
Nachomamma8 wrote: I saw the contridiction in Nobody's claim that Equinox noticed, but I wanted to catch him off guard. So I aggressively attacked his claim. I was hoping that I could goad him into attacking me and voting alongside Equinox, which would of course cement his position as scum. Unfortunately, this plan was ruined by Equinox-intervention...

If that doesn't answer the question, I haven't the slightest idea what you're trying to ask.

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 am

Post by Equinox »

Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: Nachomamma8, you just skimmed it, didn't you?
A real cop would've picked that pile to pieces;
instead, you just looked and decided that a couple of isolated paragraphs could be made to look like coaching. Scummy cop ran out of ideas!
First off, this is blatant misrepresentation. I was going to bed in a few minutes (like I said DIRECTLY in the post), which means that of course I'm not going to plunge into any indepth analysis. And in response to the bold, if you want me to pick apart your padded case, I gladly will.
Fine, I missed that part of your post. I did not intend any misrepresentation.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: a. Today's lynch was most likely Nobody Special. If Nobody Special had claimed cop instead, it would have appeared very dubious, no matter if it was true or false. He had played scummy in the game, which was why he had suspicion on him in the first place, so it would have been very difficult for Nobody Special to prove that he was really cop.
Okay, let's assume that I am scum with Nobody. Nobody Special claiming cop would've outed the real cop, thus giving me knowledge of the setup and telling me whether I could falseclaim doctor or not. If no cop counterclaimed, there still would be a pretty good chance that Nobody could push a lynch through on the simple principle of him being an uncounterclaimed PR. So, me claiming cop in the beginning means that there's a chance that I'm going to get counterclaimed and lynched, leaving NS in a 3 person LyLo which he has virtually no chance of surviving.
1. You're assuming we even have a cop. Oh, wait. You
are
the cop.
2. On the contrary, I'd argue Nobody Special would have the same amount of difficulty, if not more, than you. We're at a point in the game where both real and fake cops would claim; therefore, we have to examine every claim and counterclaim. Furthermore, we're in a semi-open setup, so Nobody Special will still face difficulty pushing a lynch even if he was a real cop. Nobody Special has not been playing this game in a townish manner.
3. Yes, you claiming cop was a greater risk, assuming you're in his scum team. I did acknowledge that move would potentially reveal both scum on Day 3. However, the amount of risk for such a maneuver does not discredit its possibility.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: However, with great risk comes great benefit, and this lies in the unexpectedness of Nachomamma8's claim.
You talk about this amazing benefit of me claiming cop as scum, but you don't actually explain it... You realize this, right?
Do I have to explain it?

I'm not speaking of benefit as in you getting a benefit right this moment. I was speaking in terms of risk-to-benefit. If someone puts in $50 and wins the horse bet, he's not going to get as much as the guy who puts in $500 and wins. By the same token, the guy who puts in $50 won't lose as much as the guy who puts in $500 in the event he loses.

You took a big risk coming out as cop. I've acknowledged the risk is high whether you are town or scum. The benefit I'm talking about in this instance occurs only if you successfully convince Haylen and Thor665; if I lose this LyLo, your faction is secured victory, since Nobody Special has no chance of winning the following LyLo.

From my perspective, you are scummy cop, which means mafia will win this game if you win this argument. If that's not a big prize (benefit) from a big gamble (risk), I don't know what is.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: If
Nobody Special
succeeded in convincing you
or
Haylen that I was scum based on night investigation, then town would lose the LyLo, and both scum would emerge scot-free. Great benefits, indeed.
Why do my changes make the benefit anything less?
I am not working from the assumption that Nobody Special would have succeeded because he has zero chance in hell of doing so. His play does not suggest PR play; his play suggests scum play.

However, I'll humor you.

The benefits do not change if Nobody Special claimed cop and successfully convinced at least one townie to his side. The problem I see here is he is not the one claiming cop. He's claiming doctor, and he's failed at it. Therefore, this argument is void.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: It is easier for town to believe Nachomamma8 than Nobody Special. Perhaps you two will have some reservations with the claim, but Nachomamma8 has been playing well in this game. I'd gotten town reads from him for most of the game until hohum flipped town; I would not be surprised if both you and Haylen did as well. A Nachoscum8 cop claim would go a lot better than a Nobody Special cop claim, despite the risk.
This is pretty useless. It's easier for town to believe me as opposed to NS because I am the cop, and he isn't...
Of course you would say that.

I'll say this again, and I don't care what role you really are: It's easier for town to believe you because you had played like town. Nobody Special had not.

I find it odd you brushed off the fact that I, as well as Haylen and Thor665, actually did read you as town at least once in this game. But then again, I'm scum, and you don't need to read the words of condemned scum.
Nachomamma8 wrote:Why bring #1 and #3 up? They just make your case look longer.
I'm covering my bases. Got a problem with it?
Nachomamma8 wrote:Now, let me expand on the coaching point. For the first bolded, you said that voting for you would make Thor and Haylen become more suspicious of me, then you said that it would be "the best move for Scummy Special". If you were trying to infer that riding the fence would be the best move for NSscum if he was partner, then I'm not following your logic. If NS suddenly voting you makes ME look scummy, then why wouldn't NS suddenly voting me make you scummy?
You're the one claiming cop. Of course, if Nobody Special had indeed followed me on my word and immediately voted you, you'd have had an easier time convincing town that I was scum and Nobody Special was my partner.

Too bad Nobody Special screwed up. Or was that your plan?

Objectively speaking, it was the best move for Nobody Special because he would not immediately implicate his scum buddy if he rode the fence first. His hesitation here has given Thor665 pause; unfortunately, Thor665 is certain that Nobody Special is the buddy, but Thor665 still cannot make a decision as to which one is town and which one is scum. It's the best move for Scummy Special to ride the fence.

Back to the "painfully obvious" point, I will cede that I failed to mention that it would be obvious Nobody Special was scum if he sided with me. Neither vote would have saved him. The important part is shifting suspicion to either Equinox or Nachomamma8, which I just covered.
Nachomamma8 wrote:For the second bolded, that one shouldn't be hard to figure out. You're telling NS that his fence-sitting is making him look scummier, hell, you even tell him who he should be voting! If that's coaching, then I don't know what is...
Misrepresentation. I am not telling him who to vote. I am telling him that riding the fence is negating his doctor claim.

It looks like I get to explain further, so I'll reference that bolded part again:
Equinox wrote:By all accounts, Nobody Special should not be riding the fence unless he believes there are two liars in this game.
Nobody Special is doctor who was blocked on Night 1. Nachomamma8 is un-CCed cop. Equinox, Haylen, and Thor665 have all denied being cop. If Nobody Special is riding the fence, by logic, he must believe the following two things:

1. You are lying about your cop claim.
2. Equinox, Haylen, or Thor665 are lying about not being cop.

This is how I came to the conclusion that Nobody Special "believes there are two liars." It is impossible for Doctor Special to not believe your cop claim without believing both of the above things.

I love to overexplain, so I'll explain #2 further.

Equinox is obviously not cop. If I was cop, I would have immediately counterclaimed against you either when you initially asked for CCs or later when you posted your investigation. Therefore, it is not possible for Equinox to be lying about not being cop.

Haylen cannot be cop. This is where I cease logic and instead use meta. Haycop, as an experienced IC, would know better than to not counterclaim cop when you initially asked for counterclaims. Further, Haycop would know better than to not counterclaim when you listed your investigations. Therefore, it is not possible for Haylen to be lying about not being cop.

Thor665 cannot be cop. Again, I will use meta. Thor665 was a cop in the past, so he would be familiar with what the cop's responsibilities entail. As an experienced SE, Cop665 would know better than to not counterclaim cop at either scenario you presented. Therefore, it is not possible for Thor665 to be lying about not being cop.

Nobody Special, as doctor who chose, initially, to not trust your cop claim, must believe in the possibility of at least one of the three cops I just posted. However, any of those three being cop is impossible, and this does not require much consideration. Therefore, Doctor Special should not have ridden the fence.

By initially denying the possibility of Nachocop8, Nobody Special is confirmed, in my mind, as mafia.
Nachomamma8 wrote:There's no way I'm hammering; I'm not 100% sold on NS and I don't want to lose.
You're flailing.
Nachomamma8 wrote: I can't help but think that there's a possibilty that we're dealing with a Thor gambit here. But why now, why didn't Thor fake-counterclaim me before, why doesn't he just vote me... Gah.
I thought you already dismissed Thor665 as my possible scum buddy. Why have you pulled him back into the mix?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 am

Post by Equinox »

I'm convinced now that Nobody Special was just BSing with the moderator request, but I'm going to humor him.
Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:@Nobody: What error are you talking about in 675?
Nobody Special claimed to have saved AurorusVox on Night 1, yet AurorusVox was still NKed. He initially thought there was a roleblocker, and he suddenly got scared when I told him there wasn't a cop.

I don't expect you to really answer that, since answering that would break the game. ;P
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 am

Post by Equinox »

Nachomamma8 wrote:I saw the contridiction in Nobody's claim that Equinox noticed, but I wanted to catch him off guard. So I aggressively attacked his claim. I was hoping that I could goad him into attacking me and voting alongside Equinox, which would of course cement his position as scum. Unfortunately, this plan was ruined by Equinox-intervention...
That's hilarious. I did not defend him at all. I was trying to make him out as complete, utter,
confirmed
scum. I wonder why you think any of the posts where I poked holes in his claim are "intervention."
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 am

Post by Haylen »

I would like you to know that reading through your interactions here, I am leaning more towards an NS scum based on the fact that apparently knows there is a roleblocker but believes that Nacho is lying scum even though nobody has counterclaimed.

Vote Nobody Special

Cease logic, cease gut. Go totally for the expected.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

Post by Haylen »

No!

Unvote.

Equinox wrote: I was
trying to make him out
as complete, utter, confirmed scum
Wow that's scummy.

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 am

Post by Equinox »

Equinox wrote: I was
trying to make him out
as complete, utter, confirmed scum
Wow that's scummy.[/quote]
Yes, I'm bussing my scum buddy. Do you still have a problem voting him?
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Equinox wrote: 1. You're assuming we even have a cop. Oh, wait. You are the cop.
Ummm...
Nachomamma8 wrote: Okay, let's assume that I am scum with Nobody.
Nachomamma8 wrote: 2. On the contrary, I'd argue Nobody Special would have the same amount of difficulty, if not more, than you. We're at a point in the game where both real and fake cops would claim; therefore, we have to examine every claim and counterclaim. Furthermore, we're in a semi-open setup, so Nobody Special will still face difficulty pushing a lynch even if he was a real cop. Nobody Special has not been playing this game in a townish manner.
Fair enough. However, you're still ignoring the benefit that Nobody claiming cop first would bring me as scum. Let's see... There would be no confirmed townies to contend with, I would know if I could safely claim doctor, and I could pick-and-choose my 3-person LyLo without having to WIFOM about the doctor situation. It's my opinion that this benefit is greater than having to convince two ICs who think extremely differently that you, someone they both had a town read on (if I'm not mistaken), are scum.
Equinox wrote: 3. Yes, you claiming cop was a greater risk, assuming you're in his scum team. I did acknowledge that move would potentially reveal both scum on Day 3. However, the amount of risk for such a maneuver does not discredit its possibility.
We'll agree to disagree here, since I'm extremely biased :P
Equinox wrote: The benefit I'm talking about in this instance occurs only if you successfully convince Haylen and Thor665; if I lose this LyLo, your faction is secured victory, since Nobody Special has no chance of winning the following LyLo.
If Nobody has no chance of surviving LyLo anyways, then why wouldn't Nachoscum8 decide to throw his partner's head on the chopping block and reap the benefits? Hell, why wouldn't he just claim a guilty on NS to give his cop claim more credibility?
Equinox wrote: I'm covering my bases. Got a problem with it?
Yes. It's more stuff to wade through with, and I'd rather cut to the heart of all the crap.
Equinox wrote: Too bad Nobody Special screwed up. Or was that your plan?
The intermittantly placed "Or was that your plan?" confound and amuse me.
Equinox wrote: Objectively speaking, it was the best move for Nobody Special because he would not immediately implicate his scum buddy if he rode the fence first. His hesitation here has given Thor665 pause; unfortunately, Thor665 is certain that Nobody Special is the buddy, but Thor665 still cannot make a decision as to which one is town and which one is scum. It's the best move for Scummy Special to ride the fence.

Back to the "painfully obvious" point, I will cede that I failed to mention that it would be obvious Nobody Special was scum if he sided with me. Neither vote would have saved him. The important part is shifting suspicion to either Equinox or Nachomamma8, which I just covered.
Okay, once NS claimed Doc, the best move no matter his alignment was to attack you. So, if something is the best move for every alignment, how does that implicate anyone?
Equinox wrote: Misrepresentation. I am not telling him who to vote. I am telling him that riding the fence is negating his doctor claim.
You were telling him how to vote
indirectly
. Fair enough?

If you still don't get it, you told NS that if he was a real doctor, he'd believe my claim. If he believes my claim, then he also believes that I'm a cop with a guilty on you. If he believes that, then he should vote for you.

Understand?
Equinox wrote: You're flailing.
I'm flailing because I didn't want to hammer someone has a chance of being town over someone that I KNOW is scum? Interesting.
Equinox wrote: I thought you already dismissed Thor665 as my possible scum buddy. Why have you pulled him back into the mix?
I was covering all of my bases :D

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 am

Post by Thor665 »

Haylen wrote:No!
Interjective exclamations as part of a typed interface, classic :D

Okay, Haylen, I'll take it from your post that you're at least willing to consider NobodyScum though apparently you're uncomfortable with the idea that Equinox is bussing/voting him.

If you're willing to go with NobodyScum then by definition you're buying into me being town which means NobodyScum *has* to be scum regardless of how scummy you think Equinox is or is not. Why does scumminess from Equinox concern you at this point?

Also, if you have any thoughts on the Nacho/Nobody interaction I'd really like to hear them.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 am

Post by Equinox »

Nachomamma8 wrote:Fair enough. However, you're still ignoring the benefit that Nobody claiming cop first would bring me as scum. Let's see... There would be no confirmed townies to contend with, I would know if I could safely claim doctor, and I could pick-and-choose my 3-person LyLo without having to WIFOM about the doctor situation. It's my opinion that this benefit is greater than having to convince two ICs who think extremely differently that you, someone they both had a town read on (if I'm not mistaken), are scum.
You're ignoring the chances of Nobody Special actually succeeding at claiming cop.
Nachomamma8 wrote:We'll agree to disagree here, since I'm extremely biased :P
Agreed.
Nachomamma8 wrote:If Nobody has no chance of surviving LyLo anyways, then why wouldn't Nachoscum8 decide to throw his partner's head on the chopping block and reap the benefits? Hell, why wouldn't he just claim a guilty on NS to give his cop claim more credibility?
Dude, that's a great question. Why
are
you taking the long and hard road?

I'll go on a limb here and say Nachoscum8 is hoping that Nobody Special would not get lynched for some reason or other. Indeed, there is little reason why Nachoscum8 shouldn't bus Nobody Special for much more credibility. If Nachoscum8 had claimed a guilty on Nobody Special, we'd have immediately jumped on the wagon. Maybe Nobody Special is the roleblocker? (I doubt this, really.)

I'll go a little further on the limb. The mafia needs to confuse the townies. The best -- risky but still the best -- way to do this is to make unexpected moves. I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money that neither Haylen nor Thor665 saw your cop claim coming. I'd be willing to bet my own neck that neither of them saw your guilty on Equinox coming.

Haylen's and Thor665's confusion settles the case.

Obviously, I have my own biases, so if you spot any holes in that reasoning, feel free to point them out. ;)
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: Too bad Nobody Special screwed up. Or was that your plan?
The intermittantly placed "Or was that your plan?" confound and amuse me.
Glad I amuse you.
Nachomamma8 wrote:Okay, once NS claimed Doc, the best move no matter his alignment was to attack you. So, if something is the best move for every alignment, how does that implicate anyone?
The point was not to save himself because he can't. The point was to prevent moving suspicion over to his partner. Riding the fence presents the least amount of risk.

I'm assuming immediate action here rather than the delayed action he took:

1. If he had voted with me against you, there was a chance that Haylen or Thor665 would, for some unexplainable reason, agree with him and hammer you. Oops!
2. If he had voted with you against me, there was a chance that such an action would implicate you and Nobody Special as the scum team. That would not end very well.

Instead, he chose to ride the fence, even if that meant he would end up in the gallows. If he died, the last townie would still have to decide between Equinox and Nachomamma8. Initially riding the fence implicated neither side, even if it condemned him.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: Misrepresentation. I am not telling him who to vote. I am telling him that riding the fence is negating his doctor claim.
You were telling him how to vote
indirectly
. Fair enough?
I disagree with your assessment, but if that's how you choose to interpret it, yes, it's fair enough.
Nachomamma8 wrote:If you still don't get it, you told NS that if he was a real doctor, he'd believe my claim. If he believes my claim, then he also believes that I'm a cop with a guilty on you. If he believes that, then he should vote for you.
The vote only had importance if he did it in his doctor claim post. Instead, he chose to fence-sit. If he had voted after the fact, it would not have had any meaning and would instead shift the blame to him. I don't need to coach him to do that; I can just throw him under the bus. Apparently, it's worked great.
Nachomamma8 wrote:I'm flailing because I didn't want to hammer someone has a chance of being town over someone that I KNOW is scum? Interesting.
You're flailing because you didn't want to hammer someone who was on your team. I do have a bias, after all.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
Equinox wrote: I thought you already dismissed Thor665 as my possible scum buddy. Why have you pulled him back into the mix?
I was covering all of my bases :D
Fair enough. :D

All right. We've established that we do not have a doctor. Since you are the cop, Nachomamma8, there's a very good chance you're going to die tonight. You can't afford to delay until you get your investigation results.

I'll ask you this and let Haylen, Nobody Special, and Thor665 handle it because I obviously cannot with my current bias. We need to resolve this flip-flopping of yours between Nobody Special and Thor665.

Call it right now: Who's my partner?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”