Newbie 960 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ToG
ToG
Townie
ToG
Townie
Townie

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Post by ToG »

Equinox wrote: I honestly cannot wait to see your reaction when I flip.
This post sounds doesn't sound town to me.
I think it could be the word honestly... Are you saying that you are not always honest with us or why are you stating here that you "honestly" cannot wait to see her reaction ?
Equinox wrote: Since nobody has posed any "random" questions, I'll do a few. Feel free to volunteer new questions. I'll answer my own questions and any others as soon as everyone is done answering, and I'll also talk about my motivations behind each question; I don't want to influence anyone
You did manage to miss the motivation behind one question. Could you please explain the the meaning behind:

6. What do you think about fence-sitters, the people who don't have a position either way? Is it an anti-town thing to do? Why or why not?
/tog
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Post by Equinox »

ToG wrote:
Equinox wrote:I honestly cannot wait to see your reaction when I flip.
I think it could be the word honestly... Are you saying that you are not always honest with us or why are you stating here that you "honestly" cannot wait to see her reaction ?
I honestly cannot wait to see her reaction when I flip. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.
ToG wrote:You did manage to miss the motivation behind one question. Could you please explain the the meaning behind:
Equinox wrote:6. What do you think about fence-sitters, the people who don't have a position either way? Is it an anti-town thing to do? Why or why not?
My mistake. I asked to gauge people's opinions on fence-sitters. I'll let you judge for yourself whether that reason is for town or scum purposes.

I did get responses from different directions, which I thought was interesting; I expected almost unanimous contempt for the practice, but I think at least one person said it wasn't a scum tell, and a few others said it was anti-town.

The secondary purpose behind that question is a license to use those responses in the event someone acts contrary to how they've responded in Day 1. If someone who normally didn't have an issue with fence-sitting suddenly decided to build an entire case against another player based on that player's indecision, I will use their RQS response against them. Nasty, perhaps, but everything that is posted in this thread is fair game. ;)
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

Equinox Post 223 wrote:I honestly cannot wait to see your reaction when I flip.
I honestly cannot wait to see you scum hunt. See what I did there? Noted is the fact you haven't bothered to actually
respond
to anything.
Equinox Post 223 wrote:
Sotty7 wrote:She also slaps an Andrew vote down after calling his wagon a “favorite scum wagon” She is far and away the scummiest player right now.
I also said in that same paragraph that this did not immediately make andrew94 town. If I were his scum buddy, I'd have bussed him. He could cost me the game.
So you're telling me he's your buddy here? What?
Equinox Post 224 wrote:Do you really think Equiscum would immediately vote andrew94 after clearly claiming scum would bus him?
In case I didn't make it clear before, WIFOM is scummy. I beg you, if you are town, scum hunt. If not then keep making posts like these. Ridiculous.

I mean I don't know how much more clear I can be. We're now waiting on Titiboo and Ren, but you are are seriously only going to scum hunt when we have a full game you will never start scum hunting. Especially in newbie games. There is always someone lurking or in the process of flaking. Help me out here, if you are town DO SOMETHING. Anything. Right now, every post you make is more stalling and makes me think you are scum and want your death.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Post by Equinox »

Sotty7 wrote:So you're telling me he's your buddy here? What?
You were telling me that I was pushing for a "scum loved wagon." That sounded like you were trying to say andrew94 is town. andrew94 is not necessarily town just because scum is willing to vote him. I'm telling you I'd do that as scum because that's what I think scum are doing -- bussing him. It's undeniably easy to do right now.

I realize you're frustrated at my lack of scum hunting, but there's a reason I haven't. I've gotten town reads from all of the more active players, so there's not much I can do there until someone slips.

I want to question Ren about his tunneling of andrew94, but he's not here. Even if I knew what to do with Titiboo, I can't do anything until there's a replacement. I don't know what I want to ask of Memnon because there's nothing to ask, at all.

Well, I guess if I have nothing to ask, I'll just do this. I have absolutely nothing to lose at this point. Memnon, make up your own questions or something. Your posts leave me no room to question you. Easy wagon be damned.

Unvote. Vote: Memnon

...I thought of this while typing up the above. Feel free to read it as an appeal to emotion; it's not like I can control how you read it. This is just what's going on in my mind, and this is what I want to say.

I think I know what's getting me angry in this game. It's all certainties and absolutes in here. Black or white. No, you can't speculate in the grey because that's scummy. No, you can't wait for the color to change because that's scummy.

I'm standing in a grey pool of paint. I feel like I have to either get my prints all over the brand new white paint job on the floor, or I have to continue sitting there in that grey area. I refuse to make up cases against town reads just because a few people are angry that I won't do it. Therefore, I will continue to stand in that grey area until I find that nook I missed, even if that gets me lynched. A town read cannot be a scum read.

It's frustrating me to no end that I can't tell if all this pressure is scummy or if I'm just getting an OMGUS reaction. It's frustrating me to no end that the only way I know how to make my position on things any less ambiguous is blocked.

Ugh. I'm too emotional at the moment. I'll come back in a bit once I calm down and can think more rationally. I don't think "a bit" will kill anyone.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

No one is asking you to make cases on town reads, but that doesn't mean you can't question them. Plus you talk about the "gray" in that post above, that suggests you don't know what you think of certain players. I find if I am stuck on trying to read a player I will ask them for their read on another player. That can often open up new areas of discussion that weren't around to begin with.

And that's all scum hunting is. Asking questions and perusing avenues of thought and coming to conclusions in the thread. You don't
need
the whole game to be here to do that. I understand it is frustrating when people you want to question aren't about, but there is literally nothing you can do. Sitting back doesn't help you or the town. You need to be proactive.

So while I understand the frustration, I'm still hooked on my scum read of you. I will say you get some town points for not automatically resorting to OMGUSing the wagon on you. But I really don't understand your Memnon vote, you don't explain it very well at all. I also don't understand your back and forthing on Andrew. So take a chill pill and then when you come back, start by trying to explain your thoughts there and actually building a case on Memnon.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Post by Equinox »

Okay. One bout of pillow punching later...

(Sotty7: I noticed you responded while I was typing this up... I'll read it and address it in the next post.)

I bring you a rational case behind Memnon, who is alive and kicking. Actually, Memnon isn't "kicking" at the moment.

PBPA wall incoming. Lots of fluff. Conclusion at the end.

Post 8: Memnon uses a graphing calculator to come up with RVS. I've seen newbie town do this, so it's not necessarily a scummy tell. I can see why people are wary of this, though. A random vote like this, despite being an RVS vote, does not require any amount of responsibility behind it. Whereas someone can attack a weird RVS reason, there's nothing to attack if "the dice said so" or "the graphing calculator said so."
Post 59: Memnon appears to prefer RQS, but he doesn't volunteer any questions because he's busy. Memnon also attacks andrew94's attack against Ren's request for more activity. (What a mouthful.) Interesting that Memnon uses sarcasm to attack andrew94... even though I've been doing that for the past couple of days. Anyway, that's noted.
Post 60: Memnon is trying to find scum, yet he also will not try to prevent a townie lynch... wait, what? And how did I not see this before?
Post 93: I'll agree with Memnon that andrew94's response was really bad. It's interesting Memnon did not actually question andrew94 about that post, unlike Equinox, mb53, and Ren, but just plain accused him. Memnon also advocates for a policy lynch but does not do anything to get it moving. (It's worth noting that andrew94 was at L-2 at the time, so that might be why.) Since we're all fans of overreading, this may be connected to Memnon's RVS vote earlier.
Post 94: A slight push for RQS. Meh.
Post 98: Memnon clarifies that he did not want a quick lynch, only a policy lynch. He appears to just want to lynch andrew94 because of his anti-town behavior... something I support, if we don't find someone scummier (like, you know, me). Memnon begins his interrogation of andrew94. I see no issues with the questions, but I'm reading Memnon in ISO so I don't know if there are other influences.
Post 103: Memnon responds to my RQs. I think I've already addressed everything I needed to with RQs, so nothing here. Next post is an EBWOP, so I won't include it.
Post 115: Memnon cedes andrew94's issues may be due to a language barrier, and he questions andrew94 a bit further about his
guarded
responses to my RQs.
Post 131: I think I see the problem with this vote now. Voting andrew94 was not going to spark discussion, unless Memnon expected people to accuse him of scum going for an easy lynch. He also states he's going for the policy lynch.
Post 134: Memnon further explains his policy lynch. I don't find anything wrong with the reasons, mainly because I already agree with them. Eh. Scum could be making this up, but I know I'm not, so... it's a null tell.
Post 138: Memnon challenges andrew94 to find what Memnon has done thus far. I'll answer the question: vote in RVS, push for RQS, answer RQs, push for a policy lynch, and then vote andrew94. I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, but... uh, that's not a whole lot.
Post 141: Memnon restates that he doesn't feel andrew94 is town or scum, but he wants andrew94 lynched because he's acting anti-town. Yeah, the definition of a policy lynch, which... I still agree with! Urgh. Memnon says he'll move his vote when he finds a better target. I'm not sure if he believed that initially or after NomDePlume pressured him.
Post 164: Memnon attempts to get discussion moving by asking for top 2 suspects from everyone else. Scum's motivation for doing this would be to look at everyone's top 2 then jump on one. Town's motivation for doing this would be to... get discussion moving. I'm running in circles. Anyway, Memnon did post his top 2, so there's less of a problem. He finds me scummy because I was leading (???) and Titiboo because he was lurkerish. Zero mention of andrew94, so Memnon believes andrew94 is town or just left him off the top 2. Weird.
Post 169: Stalls with me. Um, doesn't really answer my question, but he says he attacked me rather than a lurker because I was actually active. Fair 'nuff. And then Memnon piggy backs my defense of Ren. Bah.
Post 171: Fluff.
Post 184: Memnon gave up on andrew94 a while ago and for some reason didn't announce it. Sort of odd, but I can see that happening to anyone, so I won't press this.
Post 186: Unvoted by request.
Post 187: "Back to square one." I will have to assume Memnon purged his top 2 suspects list, since this implies Memnon has gone back to the initial state of zero suspects.
Post 189: Explained about this first thing in this wall.
Post 215: FLUFF. Well, Memnon claims RL busy, and I dislike using RL as any part of a scum case, so... yeah. Nothing here.

In summary, my issues with Memnon would be:

1. Memnon might have been trying to avoid responsibility by using a graphing calculator in RVS, and he defends this action as "random." I feel this is more of a newb tell than a scum tell, since this would be Memnon's first time with RVS, but it's worth noting because he does this again when he proposes a policy lynch on andrew94. L-1 would put enough pressure on andrew94 to get him to act, which would be good, yet Memnon avoids doing it. This hands-off policy regarding responsibility is interesting.

2. Memnon's statement in post 60 is weird. I want an explanation.

3. Memnon has backtracked more than once behind the scenes, and this is only revealed after he's pressured or after he says something to that effect. I wonder why he isn't being vocal about moving his suspicions around.

Not definitely scummy, but I want these addressed. Vote stays.

Time to read Sotty7's post and respond to it.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by Equinox »

Sotty7 wrote:But I really don't understand your Memnon vote, you don't explain it very well at all. I also don't understand your back and forthing on Andrew. So take a chill pill and then when you come back, start by trying to explain your thoughts there and actually building a case on Memnon.
Memnon case is posted above.

I keep going back and forth on andrew94 because I don't know what to make of his responses.

1. The interrogation was really a vicious cycle. We asked andrew94 because we didn't like what he was saying. He didn't like our questions, so he became defensive. We didn't like his defensiveness or his guarded answers, so we lugged even more questions at him.

2. I think this vicious cycle has andrew94 thinking we're harassing him. Things like:
andrew94 wrote:furthermore, ren do you enjoy repeating questioning then finding a flow/irregularity in my answers? if so i need a lawyer....
andrew94 wrote:p.s. think on the good sides of my ireegularities before jumping out like a lion pouncing on a deer
andrew94 wrote:so what if i dont like answering your question? i like avoiding it. can i not?
andrew94 wrote:i am not used to this new website, where ren immeditely wants to know about my experience. i mean wth.. i dont want my experience known....
andrew94 wrote:it is because at that moment only me and ren were posting so he was focussing his whole attention on me, quoting everything i said, picking bones in eggs.
andrew94 wrote:it only makes me shady and untrustworthy is because the only questions are directed at me.
andrew94 wrote:errr every1 is just questioning me there are NO SLIPS.
...makes me think that andrew94 feels uncomfortable with the interrogation. It's possible that andrew94-scum is acting in this manner to get the questions off him, but I can't get rid of the feeling that andrew94-town might answer the same way due to feeling OMGUS towards his interrogators.

That's why I requested a few days earlier that we hold off on the andrew94 situation until later.

3. I later advocated the policy lynch because, at that point in time, I didn't have anyone else I wanted to lynch. I was also getting annoyed with his constant inattention to the game unless it directly pertained to him, and he wasn't saying anything about any players other than the two who'd been questioning him the most (further leading to my harassment theory above).

OMGUS reaction may be a newb tell, but it can also be a scum tell, and andrew94 seemed to focus only on whatever was connected to him unless he wanted to deflect attention off himself. He did not talk about any of the cases posed against others. That did, and does, not look good.

Hmm... I have a better case against andrew94 than Memnon. Meh. They're my Top 2 right now, so it doesn't matter to me what order I take.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Post by andrew94 »

yes,i am uncomforable with teh interrogation cos i dont have the chance to retort and find some wolves; especially random people liek memnono just adding in.

now, i find ren extremely sus cos hes just lurking while equionix well.... is just posting a lot of things to defend himself. i strongly suspect ren is scum or equinox and memnon wolf pair
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Post by andrew94 »

ren
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
ToG
ToG
Townie
ToG
Townie
Townie

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:25 am

Post by ToG »

Equinox wrote: My mistake. I asked to gauge people's opinions on fence-sitters. I'll let you judge for yourself whether that reason is for town or scum purposes.

I did get responses from different directions, which I thought was interesting; I expected almost unanimous contempt for the practice, but I think at least one person said it wasn't a scum tell, and a few others said it was anti-town.
If you thought that a good answer would be if each player contempts(yay new word) fence-sitting why did you not further ask Ren about her answer ?
Ren wrote: 6. Ultimately it would depend on the situation but just because a person has trouble making up their mind wouldn't be enough to warrant much suspicion from us.
I read that as that they don't have any issue with fence sitting. I just don't understand your motivation behind it if you don't follow it up by questions.
Equinox wrote: The secondary purpose behind that question is a license to use those responses in the event someone acts contrary to how they've responded in Day 1. If someone who normally didn't have an issue with fence-sitting suddenly decided to build an entire case against another player based on that player's indecision, I will use their RQS response against them. Nasty, perhaps, but everything that is posted in this thread is fair game. ;)
You knew at that moment that you were going to fence sit. So this reads to me as that you were already preparing an Omgus attack.

A townie reason other than protecting yourself is not readable at the moment for me.

@Andrew94

You have to write
Vote
Ren
just look at Equinoxs post and then just copy paste it... it has even the correct name in it.

Furthermore you were not interrogated in the last few days yet you didn't state your reason for finding one player scummy. Please state your reason as to why you find Ren Scummy.

I hope to see a better reason than just lurking.
/tog
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 am

Post by Memnon »

I'm sorry guys. Combination of RL and getting intimidated by the replacements kept me from posting. Your cases against me are all pretty good, I don't know how to answer them.

I'll answer Equinox's though.

Graphing calculator: Yeah, pretty stupid on my part. All I can attribute that to is a noobish wariness of RVS.

Post 60:
Memnon wrote:We're trying to find scum, not prevent innocent townies from being lynched. That is our main focus. Obviously we don't want to lynch an innocent townie, but scumhunting comes first. Besides, there is no danger of anyone getting lynched at this point.
This was in answer to a post by andrew:
andrew94 wrote:y do u want more activity, so u can lynch off some inncocent? scummy.....

fosren
going off to sleep
Andrew was trying to say that it was scummy that you were trying to lynch some innocent townie. I was saying that there is nothing wrong with that as long as we are trying to find scum. Scumhunting comes first, safety of innocent townies comes after.

3) As for not saying when my suspicions moved around, the problem with that is that whenever I lost my suspicion for some person, there was not really anyone else to be suspicious of. So I thought it was better for the moment to keep my vote on someone I had already declared my suspicions of than to put baseless votes on other people.

Anyway, I think we are all feeling lot of pressure from the replacements, which is good, because they are scumhunting, but bad, because we are ignoring them. I need to look at their posts.

By the way, I will try to get to the other cases made on me later.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 am

Post by Equinox »

andrew94 wrote:now, i find ren extremely sus cos hes just lurking while equionix well.... is just posting a lot of things to defend himself. i strongly suspect ren is scum or
equinox and memnon wolf pair
WOLF PAIR?!

andrew94, please do me a favor and read this post. I don't care if you skip the bottom part, but at least look at the first 6-7 lines.

We're using one of those four setups.
andrew94 wrote:yes,i am uncomforable with teh interrogation cos i dont have the chance to retort and find some wolves; especially random people liek memnono just adding in.
Just because we're throwing tons and tons of questions at you doesn't mean you can't find who's scum.
andrew94 wrote:
ren
Copy this:

Code: Select all

[B]Vote: Ren[/B]

ToG wrote:If you thought that a good answer would be if each player contempts(yay new word) fence-sitting why did you not further ask Ren about her answer ?
It wasn't that I thought it would be a good answer; I just thought it would be how everyone answered. I didn't feel the need to address Ren's response.
ToG wrote:I just don't understand your motivation behind it if you don't follow it up by questions.
I did follow up with questions, but apparently it's not the right time to discuss theory, so I won't.
ToG wrote:You knew at that moment that you were going to fence sit. So this reads to me as that you were already preparing an Omgus attack.

A townie reason other than protecting yourself is not readable at the moment for me.
I knew I was going to fence-sit because that's exactly how I play the beginning of Day 1. I don't fence-sit so much after that.

I am preparing attacks, but they are not necessarily OMGUS. I will attack anyone who is playing contrary to how they've answered the RQs. Scum might change tactics often to find what works.
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

@ Mod

Can you let us know if that vote above counts?

Also, have you listed the official deadline day and time yet? I apologize if I missed it elsewhere.

Lastly, if we are in the midst of replacing players, will the deadline be extended?

@ Ren, Memnon, please place a vote somewhere. The longer one waits, the more scummier it seems. Looks like scum waiting to see which wagon they should get on.

@ NDP, please let us know if Ren is your top choice for a lynch at this time. Looked more like a pressure vote when you made it.
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:25 am

Post by Memnon »

@ I Am Innocent: I will place a vote as soon as I look at all the player's ISO's.
Thanks to Equinox for putting together my wiki without my knowledge. <3

I am currently on hiatus. Expected return date: next spring.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:31 am

Post by Equinox »

Memnon wrote:Your cases against me are all pretty good, I don't know how to answer them.
If you're town, they don't have good cases against you. They're just
wrong

Prove to us somehow that we're wrong. Answering questions is not the only way to do that.
Memnon wrote:Graphing calculator: Yeah, pretty stupid on my part. All I can attribute that to is a noobish wariness of RVS.
Fair enough. It's a common mistake.
Memnon wrote:Andrew was trying to say that it was scummy that you were trying to lynch some innocent townie. I was saying that there is nothing wrong with that as long as we are trying to find scum. Scumhunting comes first, safety of innocent townies comes after.
Yes, scum hunting comes first, but do not do that at the expense of innocents. Chances are we are going to lynch a townie today; it's probability. However, if someone is pushing a lynch on someone you think is innocent, you should be defending that townie as well as pushing for someone you believe to be scummy. It's better to lynch scum, after all.
Memnon wrote:3) As for not saying when my suspicions moved around, the problem with that is that whenever I lost my suspicion for some person, there was not really anyone else to be suspicious of. So I thought it was better for the moment to keep my vote on someone I had already declared my suspicions of than to put baseless votes on other people.
I don't have a problem with moving suspicions around in general, but you're not voicing your movements. It's confusing, and it makes it easier for Memscum to blend in.
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:41 am

Post by Memnon »

Equinox wrote:
Memnon wrote:Your cases against me are all pretty good, I don't know how to answer them.
If you're town, they don't have good cases against you. They're just
wrong

Prove to us somehow that we're wrong. Answering questions is not the only way to do that.
Ok. This could be difficult, but I'll give it a try.
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:02 am

Post by Memnon »

Gonna try to answer posts one at a time, beginning with this one. Shoulda done this a long time ago.
Sotty7 wrote:
Memnon Post 93 wrote:I advocate a policy lynch on andrew right now. He makes little or no sense, sounds very scummy, and is very anti-town even if he is not scum.
No. Newbie games are not the place for policy lynches. Either you think he is scummy so you vote for him, or you spend time explaining to him how things work to help him be more clear. These are games were people come to learn, policy lynching goes against that.
I'll bear this in mind from now on.
Sotty7 wrote:You also shouldn't link ongoing games, even if you are dead in them.
kk
Sotty7 wrote:
Memnon Post 98 wrote:
If we do find a better reason for a lynch, for instance if you find a good case against me, then definitely, go for that one.
I am only advocating a policy lynch right now because andrew is playing pretty anti-town. Whether that means he is scum or not is matter for discussion.
That was a very... Strange thing to say. Left me scratching my head. However your view on Ren bussing Andrew was actually pretty good and I never thought about it that way. Of course, it is waaaaay too early to be talking about partners and bussing, but something to think about if either flips scum later.

Why didn't you move your vote at this point?
What vote?
Sotty7 wrote:
Memnon Post 131 wrote:
There is absolutely nothing going on in this game,
so I am going to do something to spark discussion.

Vote: andrew94

For lack of anything else to go on, I am going to push for the policy lynch.
The bold is clearly a lie, since we're on page 6. This post so scummy it hurts my teeth.

Vote: Memnon
Care to explain? I understand, but put it in your own words. Why is it a lie?
Sotty7 wrote:
Memnon Post 134 wrote:Cuz hes town but hes acting pretty anti-town so he is more of a hindrance to the town than a help. Therefore we policy lynch him. Not that my vote matters a whole lot, as it is still only L-2.
So you are voting for someone you think is town. Not helpful.
No, but there was nothing else to go on at the time. Better to lynch an anti-town than do let the day fizzle out.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:16 am

Post by Equinox »

I learned something while sniffing around the site, and it was related to Ren's case. I decided to wait and let Ren answer ToG's and NomDePlume's questions. It's been 48 hours since Ren's prod and they haven't responded, so I will assume Ren can't get back into the game. I'm going to post in Ren's defense.
Ren wrote:If it helps you can think of us as a 1 player hydra.
A hydra account is used by multiple players. For example, Memnon and I might make an account called Memnox; both of us will be able to access that account, and the two of us play as one person, "Memnox."

What Ren is saying here is they are one person with two personalities in one account ("one-player hydra"), rather than two different players in a traditional hydra. Personality A would be the 19-year old Ren that ToG spotted in Newbie 909. Personality B would be the 21-year old Ren that we saw in this game.

I hope this clears up the issue regarding Ren's conflicting answers. Now we can resume using game-relevant information to hunt Ren down. ;)
ToG
ToG
Townie
ToG
Townie
Townie

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:59 am

Post by ToG »

Your Response for Ren is invalid as it is something personal that only she can answer. We can make different guesses but cannot answer it for her.
Ren wrote: If it helps you can think of us as a 1 player hydra.
You knew from the beginning of the game that they have "Did". She even has in her Signature:"2 minds one body".

So I would summarize the intention of your post as:"I do meta reads"

But I agree with you that this Age-lie is not a valid point to vote Ren. But it would still interest me as to why she did lie.
/tog
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:20 am

Post by Equinox »

ToG wrote:Your Response for Ren is invalid as it is something personal that only she can answer.
True, but my purpose was not to completely null the suspicion on Ren. It was to explain a possibility based on what they have already posted about themselves.
ToG wrote:So I would summarize the intention of your post as:"I do meta reads"
Do you think there is a problem with using meta reads?
ToG wrote:But I agree with you that this Age-lie is not a valid point to vote Ren. But it would still interest me as to why she did lie.
...except I was trying to say that it
wasn't
a lie. In the traditional sense, anyway.

With dissociative identity disorder, the person has multiple personalities. Each personality sees, thinks, feels, and
is
different. They are, effectively, different people.

Whether or not Ren actually has this disorder is something only Ren can answer, but I can infer things about their play style. If they are playing as if they have multiple personalities, they will act as though there are two different people.

The Ren you saw in Newbie 909 was 19 years old.

The Ren we saw here in Newbie 960 would be a
different
Ren, who is 21.

It's possible that both Rens are in this game. It just so happened that the 19-year old Ren answered the "How old are you?" question in 909 and the 21-year old Ren answered the "How old are you?" question in 960.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:39 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

ToG wrote:
Equinox wrote: I honestly cannot wait to see your reaction when I flip.
Equinox wrote: Since nobody has posed any "random" questions, I'll do a few. Feel free to volunteer new questions. I'll answer my own questions and any others as soon as everyone is done answering, and I'll also talk about my motivations behind each question; I don't want to influence anyone
You did manage to miss the motivation behind one question. Could you please explain the the meaning behind:

6. What do you think about fence-sitters, the people who don't have a position either way? Is it an anti-town thing to do? Why or why not?

---
Vote Count

Day 1; 9 alive, 5 to lynch

Equinox (2) - Sotty7, ToG
andrew94 (2) - Titiboo, Equinox
Memnon (1) - I Am Innocent
Ren (1) - NomDePlume

Yet to vote (3) - andrew94, Memnon, Ren
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
ToG
ToG
Townie
ToG
Townie
Townie

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:43 am

Post by ToG »

I feel honoured that you quote me... but why ?
/tog
ToG
ToG
Townie
ToG
Townie
Townie

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 am

Post by ToG »

Equinox wrote:
ToG wrote:Your Response for Ren is invalid as it is something personal that only she can answer.
True, but my purpose was not to completely null the suspicion on Ren. It was to explain a possibility based on what they have already posted about themselves.
ToG wrote:So I would summarize the intention of your post as:"I do meta reads"
Do you think there is a problem with using meta reads?
No I think using meta reads is something only town would do as scum already knows who town/scum is and as I already explained I summarize the intend of your post as:"I do meta reads" which is for me the equal thing as someone saying "I am town" and this still sounds suspicious to me. I just think about what your intent was to tell the Town as you posted this sentence.
Equinox wrote:
ToG wrote:But I agree with you that this Age-lie is not a valid point to vote Ren. But it would still interest me as to why she did lie.
...except I was trying to say that it
wasn't
a lie. In the traditional sense, anyway.

With dissociative identity disorder, the person has multiple personalities. Each personality sees, thinks, feels, and
is
different. They are, effectively, different people.

Whether or not Ren actually has this disorder is something only Ren can answer, but I can infer things about their play style. If they are playing as if they have multiple personalities, they will act as though there are two different people.

The Ren you saw in Newbie 909 was 19 years old.

The Ren we saw here in Newbie 960 would be a
different
Ren, who is 21.

It's possible that both Rens are in this game. It just so happened that the 19-year old Ren answered the "How old are you?" question in 909 and the 21-year old Ren answered the "How old are you?" question in 960.
I agree with you that this hole Age-thing is not a valid reason to vote Ren.
You are probably right about each point but it does not matter as it does not help to hunt scum.
/tog
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

Post by Equinox »

ToG wrote:No I think using meta reads is something only town would do as scum already knows who town/scum is and as I already explained I summarize the intend of your post as:"I do meta reads" which is for me the equal thing as someone saying "I am town" and this still sounds suspicious to me. I just think about what your intent was to tell the Town as you posted this sentence.
I am lazy. I generally do not do meta reads unless it's something critical like a lynch-or-lose (LyLo) situation. Besides, meta can be pretty useless. Once a player is aware of how they play as town and as scum, they will change their play style accordingly. I use whatever is in the game because that is how they are currently playing, which is relevant.

I took exception to Ren because I had to look up the "lie" you were talking about. Conveniently enough, you gave me the game and the post number, which was how I was able to link it previously. I did not have to actively search for Ren's meta.

This is going to seem like OMGUS, but I'm getting really concerned about your tendency to read
way
too much into the things I'm saying. Not everything is going to be black and white. Not everything has to be complicated. Sometimes, I'm saying the things I'm saying because that's what I think, not because I'm trying to say, "I am town!"

I don't expect you to answer the following question, but I want you to think about this:

Do you think Equinox is scummy, or are you trying to find out if Equinox is scummy?

This can make a difference in how you're reading the things I'm saying.
NomDePlume
NomDePlume
Goon
NomDePlume
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 am

Post by NomDePlume »

IAI wrote:@ NDP, please let us know if Ren is your top choice for a lynch at this time. Looked more like a pressure vote when you made it.
Ren is my top choice for lynch:

1) Ren's attack on Andrew seemed just the sort of scumhunting scum would do,
2) Ren unvoted straight after I called the wagon scummy,
3) Ren continued to tunnel Andrew which was detrimental to the town.

I think Ren's actions have been the most scummy.

Reading Equinox I think I'm seeing town mentality.

I'm less keen on Memnon. He seemed at first reluctant then uncertain how to answer the cases against him. That seemed pretty scummy to me: if you're town you know the case is wrong and should have little problem explaining your thoughts and motivations behind the actions that others see as scummy. It's scum that have problems answering cases because they know the case is frequently correct and they have to formulate some cobblers to justify themselves. Town has the power of righteousness, scum the doubt of guilt.

It's unfortunate everytime I vote someone they abscond... I'll stick with my vote for now but I am conscious of the deadline.

@Equinox: I checked Ren's ISO in the other thread, only took a second or two.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”