Newbie 961 - Game Over - Town Victory

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Post by CSL »

The day dawns. There are seven of you. startransmission did not show up, so you search his house. Upon entering his bedroom, you see a bloody mess. Seems someone did not like his face, so they shot his head clean off. You look outside the window, and find a police badge. Seems like you are on your own...

startransmission, the cop, had his brains blown out Night 1.

Day 2 has begun. UncertainKitten will be notified of my absence as soon as this post goes through.

With 7 alive, four will lynch. Deadline is the 7th of July, at precisely 7:00pm EST
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Post by Karma »

ಠ_ಠ

Rereading D1. I'll see what I can come up with.
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Post by CSL »

I have encountered something missing from the rules. Rule 3a was updated, and Rule 3b was added.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Post by Karma »

MOD: I love you

For rule 3b.
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Post by CSL »

Ok, I have a new contraption to show you, hoping it will instill activity.

For every X amount of days/hours WITHOUT Y amount of posts, the deadline will move towards us by one day. This depends on the number of players alive.

For instance, if 7 players were alive (like now) it would be 21 hours @ 14 posts.

If a player is V/LA, it extends the timer by a day.

(UncertainKitten, please make a note of this when you take over Saturday)

Amount of time left until deadline pushed forward:
5:28

This is just a test. If it works, I'm keeping it. (Timer as of 05:18pm EST)

Obviously, it's not working.
Last edited by CSL on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:39 am

Post by AurorusVox »

I can't wait for the haiku off!

Anyway, my top suspect has once again become M=W. I still have lingering suspicions because of the L-1 on Zajnet without providing reasons (though these are lessened since he did later provide reasons, one of which was the biggest scumtell I thought Zajnet had at that point). The reason I find him scummy at the moment is the opportunistic vote he made on stillawesome shortly after I joined the game; let me quote:
Me=Weird wrote:@STM: You said that Post 19
specifically
had expressed your stance, not that you had expressed your stance. Needless to say, post 19 didn't express your stance. Is it bad to vote someone for not posting when they said they would? However, I am thinking you're slightly townish. The vote was mostly pressure, but now I have a new time to expect it, so I'll take it off.
Just now I wrote: Is it bad to vote someone for not posting when they said they would?
With that,
Unvote, Vote: StillAwesome

I do agree with Zaj about active lurking vs. lurking. With lurking, for all you know, the person had some relatives over(what happened to me; why I didn't post yesterday). With active lurking,
Zaj wrote:IMO active lurking is worse because we know that that person is reading the thread and has time to respond, but isn't providing content.
To me, M=W, you seem to be saying that active lurking is worse than lurking, but here you're voting a lurker, not an active lurker. Perhaps you realised that the StillAwesome wagon was going to build quite quickly and made your vote early to avoid looking suspicious if/when he got lynched. You've experience with mafia games, and you've admitted that you love being mafia, so I'm thinking you'd be capable of reading such possibilities.

However, I'm not completely sold on you being scum. More suspicious than certain.

What do you make of the situation today? Any insights?
How do you react to players like RealityFan and Skunkape? Do you think we'd be better off trying to get responses out of them or ignoring them whilst they continue to not post?
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:34 am

Post by startransmission »

Bah! Go Town.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:17 am

Post by Doubtful »

Me=Weird wrote:My view on Skunkape.

SKUNKAPE: One of my suspects, has posted very little. How is making you lose the game(curse you!!) scummy? It's annoying, but in no way makes someone more likely to be scum. The most recent post by him: An analysis.
Apologizes for not making the player-by-player analysis he promised. The "so I can continue to be helpful to town" sounds kind of forced and fake, like he's trying to be obviously pro-town or something. It is very unlikely scum would quicklynch day 1, as it would only cause them to be lynched next day. Possibly some more, how to put it, "well, I warned against something scum might do* so I'm confirmed townie". It's hard to describe that.
*Not that they actually would.

Naturally, I'm still suspicious of stillawesome, and thus karma, but will see him play before revoting him. That's right, I'm about to
Unvote.
And with nothing better to do yet (I will post views on other suspects later)
Vote: Skunkape
My comments on your analysis:

His FoS on me was mostly done in a joking manner.
In your posts, you've mentioned three people that promised to post something but didn't do it. I treat that as a null-tell, because RL can happen and both town and scum alike can do that.
Good point about the "I can continue to be helpful to town" part.
Speedlynching in Newbie games can and probably will lead to WIFOM. (
Speedlyncher says: Well I'm a newbie! How would I know what to do? Consequence: Well... he can't be mafia because he's nooby, but that means mafia would do that to make you think that, which makes him mafia, but he's not that stupid, so...
, which is WIFOM)
The last point, warning against something scum might improbably do, is once again a null-tell, because its just giving out facts with no indication to themselves.

Basically, I don't see reasons for you voting Skunkape, other than gut instinct in reading the "I can continue to be helpful to town" part.

Finally, note the following statement:
Me=weird wrote:And with nothing better to do yet (I will post views on other suspects later)
You do realize you don't have to vote, right? At least until you find something really, really scummy.
Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:42 am

Post by Me=Weird »

@Aurorusvox:
Active lurking is worse than lurking, but if someone hasn't posted for nearly a week, they really need to be pressured. And if you actually look at that quote, you'll see that my reasons were that he promised to make a "nice, juicy post" and then didn't post for a week. It was more that he'd promised something than the actual lurking.

Nice buddying with skunk there, doubtful. Now, in decimating that post to a bunch of nonsense. The FoS was not part of my case. It was just a wondering note. Yes, and in the post after that, he said he wouldn't be able to post much for a little while, that was ten days ago. I'll ask for a prod alter in the post. "Well... he can't be mafia because he's nooby"?!?! Since when does being a noob make it impossible or even a little less likely for someone to be scum?! Yes, but if you emphasize it too much, it seems like scum trying to be super pro-town, with the result of looking "too town" for lack of better words. I like to vote on my best lead at the time. At that time, skunk was my best lead, so I voted him.

RealityFan: Random voted, answered questions, last post was 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I do not post reads on town players. Therefore I will not post reads on aurorus or karma. Karma does have a town read from me, despite replacing a scummy player.

MOD: IS UNLOVED DUE FOR A PROD? I BELIEVE SKUNKAPE IS. HAS REALITYFAN BEEN REPLACED? IF NOT, PLEASE REPLACE HIM.
Show
"Me=Weird did the best "I'm a power role but I'm not going to get targeted" play I think I've ever seen." - Amished

Mini 1267, a 9p Mini Normal is Day 1, page 4.

Cheese Mafia: a 25p(?) large theme about a big corporation buying up all the little individual cheese sellers.
On hold for lack of reviewers. PM me!
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Doubtful »

Me=Weird, when you quoted my italicized part, I was stating how it could possibly be WIFOM to speedlynch, and is not a guaranteed scum-tell.

---

Random comment: It seems to be truth that people are posting less and less.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 am

Post by CSL »

@ Me=Weird

It has not been 3 real-life days, and if RealityFan has not posted when that timer runs out, I am force-replacing him.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:21 am

Post by Me=Weird »

He hasn't posted since may 30th. That's 18 days!
Show
"Me=Weird did the best "I'm a power role but I'm not going to get targeted" play I think I've ever seen." - Amished

Mini 1267, a 9p Mini Normal is Day 1, page 4.

Cheese Mafia: a 25p(?) large theme about a big corporation buying up all the little individual cheese sellers.
On hold for lack of reviewers. PM me!
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 am

Post by CSL »

I PM'd him during the Marathon games, and he said he will post again.

He will be prodded, however.

Screw it, I'm force-replacing him. Vote count coming shortly.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 am

Post by CSL »

The First Vote Count of Day Two

Not Voting: Everyone

With 7 alive, 4 will execute

Deadline is Wednesday, July 7th, at 7:00pm EST
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 am

Post by Karma »

People I am suspicious of: M=W, doubtful, possibly skunkape
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
UnLoved
UnLoved
Townie
UnLoved
Townie
Townie

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Post by UnLoved »

Karma, startransmission, Unloved, Me=Weird, AurorusVox

This is the list of people who voted Zajnet. Could this list help us, perhaps?
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by Karma »

You tell me, Unloved. Could it?
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by Doubtful »

UnLoved wrote:I'm going to see if there's any way that Zajnet could not be scum.
Putting him at L-1 without any sort of good reasoning 4 pages into the game? Then switching your vote 2 posts later to a lurker after someone calls you out on it? You getting nervous there, scum?
Good point. Pretty jumpy there.
Here he attacks Doubtful for not understanding the RVS. To me, Doubtful's confusion just came off as newbish, a null tell. You jumping down his neck for it is an obvious example of taking advantage of an easy target.
Yes, Zajnet overreacted towards Doubtful, in my opinion.
Zajnet wrote:
Skunkape wrote:I won't be able to make a large post for awhile, real life events are keeping me busy this week, however AurorusVox has dispelled most of my concerns on shadow2222.

So that I can continue to be productive to the town, I'm going to go ahead and
Unvote
and
Vote:StillAwesome
for lurking.

KEEP IN MIND, THIS IS L-2, ONE MORE VOTE PUTS HIM IN RISK OF BEING SPEEDLYNCHED - Act cautiously
This post sounds really off to me. Off enough to
Vote: Skunkape
. Stating that you're voting a lurker so you can continue to be productive to the town sounds really, really scummy to me. The over dramatization in the last line really makes me think you're scum. If anyone were to speed lynch him and he flipped scum, cool. If he was speedlynched and flipped town, the people that were those last 1 or 2 votes would have some explaining to do. This post reeks of scum trying to distance himself from a wagon on someone he knows to be a townie.
Zajnet wrote:
Unvote, Vote: shadow2222

He's posted no content whatsoever. At all.
Yes, you have a point, Zajnet, but you vote someone else for the same reason right after attacking Skunkape. And why blatantly accuse Skunk, and then vote someone else? Just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Vote: Zajnet

I think you've got some 'splaining to do.

Amm... just a note: UnLoved didn't provide any new information about Zajnet at all: The first two points were covered by other people, and I think Zajnet's voting of shadow and then Skunk makes "sense" - it isn't strategical, but a move both scum and town can do. He voted shadow while most of us were voting lurkers. (Skunkape on StillAwesome (passive lurking), and then startransmission on Me=Weird (basically active lurking at that point in time)) He didn't overreact towards me, and though I don't quite believe his putting me at L-1 he miscalculated, he had good reason behind it (the same reason I voted UnLoved in the beginning, for more pressure) I agree, his actions do seem scummy (the L-2 / L-1 mistake was one in particular) but there's a way Zajnet couldn't be scum.
UnLoved wrote:I'm going to see if there's any way that Zajnet could not be scum.
Yes, there is a way. In any case, your introduction to your vote sounds like you're trying to look at all cases, which you should do even in normal analysis. It just doesn't sound right at all.

Huge FoS: UnLoved

And now some questions... to all:

1. Do you believe that there are any scum out of the people that voted for Zajnet?

1.1: If so, who and why?

2. What do you make of startransmission's death as IC? Who do you think would target STM? (In this case, do not worry about scummy behaviour in chat) Do you think him being cop was coincidence and luck, or did he hint towards it in his posting?

3. Draw the line between overreacting and not. (Say a post that was just borderline over-reacting, if any)
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by Doubtful »

My answers to my own questions:

1. Yes. Probably at least one. They blended in well, and chose a bandwagon that was bolstered by Zajnet's misposting at times.

1.1. I can't tell yet, but my suspicions are towards UnLoved.

2. I think many people would choose the IC as their first target, simply because he is most experienced. I believe Me=Weird is the top candidate, because STM continuously tries to get Me=Weird to have more activity and it seems rather annoying. I think the cop claim was coincidence - I will do a reread, and evaluate again.

3. My post towards shadow2222 was pretty much borderline.
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by Doubtful »

EBWOP:

In #3: I meant my posting and pressuring was pretty much borderline. Other than that I think all posts were just moderate pressuring.
Goon
Goon

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Post by Karma »

My god, I didn't even notice unloved. Doubtful just got a loooot townier.

VOTE: unloved[/b]
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Post by Karma »

EBWOP!

VOTE: unloved

Gotta get used to these new tags -_-
TOWN 0/0
SCUM 2/0
3RD PARTY 0/0
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Post by CSL »

Porochaz, aka Prozac, has replaced RealityFan, effective as soon as he posts.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Post by AurorusVox »

Hi guys, I'm
V/LA until Monday 21st
effective immediately. Before I go, I'll quickly answer Doubtful's questions.

1. Do you believe that there are any scum out of the people that voted for Zajnet?

I believe there are.

1.1: If so, who and why?

I can't say for certain who yet (although I've made my suspicions over Me=Weird known) but I am sure there must be otherwise since it would allow scum to hide themselves a lot better than if they were refusing to vote for this person (unless they were V/LA when the bandwagon was building) - certain voting positions look scummier than others, but I won't elaborate on that yet.

2. What do you make of startransmission's death as IC? Who do you think would target STM? (In this case, do not worry about scummy behaviour in chat) Do you think him being cop was coincidence and luck, or did he hint towards it in his posting?

I don't think he really posted enough content to give off any PR-tells. However, in most of my previous experience with these games, the IC doesn't tend to die first because people often fear that the (potential) doctor will be on them, and sometimes, "newbies" are actually tougher to convince through reason and argument than more experienced players. The fact of STM's death does make me wonder if M=W possibly isn't mafia, since he clashed with him a number of times over the course of "yesterday" - and it might be too obvious a kill.

3. Draw the line between overreacting and not. (Say a post that was just borderline over-reacting, if any)

I don't think any posts have been overreacting yet. In my previous game, the majority of the first day was spent defining "overreaction" so I'm kinda not wanting to go into too much detail all over again. But, compared to that game, none of these posts have been an overreaction.

And with that, I'm gone. See you in a few days ^^
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:53 am

Post by Porochaz »

Hi, interesting rules for a newbie game CSL ;)

Will read up soon and post, you should know in advance that unless there is something major in the previous 9 pages, Im not going to rely too heavily on them.

Also I don't know how long RF has been gone, or even if he was your IC so I can answer any outstanding questions you may have
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”