Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Vote Astronaut

Now a bit of strategy. I think that everyone investing directly in 1 specialized unit and using it asap should bear more fruits than spending too much time in improvements :
By morning of day 3 (critical threshold at 20 people, imo) :
- 1 unit with 40% chances of success on 2 nights active has 64% chance of having at least 1 success (best case 2)
- improving the unit means 1 less night active and then has a 60% only chance of success (best case 1 success only)
On morning of day 4, we get slightly better odds with the improvement but not much and we then lose tempo.

I also wonder if this setup couldn't be broken a bit to our advantage by a chain-circle of investigation (all horsemen).

Thoughts ?
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:15 am

Post by Puzzle »

I'm optimistic. :)
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:45 am

Post by Puzzle »

Well, as I think we may break the game, it may be interesting to explore the option I suggested a bit more :
Open question : how long would it take for each of us to get your first unit ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:13 am

Post by Puzzle »

Correction to my question : who cannot build units yet ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Post by Puzzle »

I am actually not sure I want to go No Lynch at all, which is why I shared Thok's doubts. However, I didn't want to vote in order to be able to gauge others' reactions better.
Now, I must say that bringing the topic of the mass claim helps Emptyger's case fairly well and Thok's a bit blind opposition is beginning to look weird.

I think we could have an alternative to a direct mass claim by simply claiming "main game" or "extension", which gives about nothing to scums and allows us to get a better overview of the setup. (I just need to check in which one I am, although I'm pretty confident).

And thanks Swinkee for wasting my cunning mouse trap.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #51 (isolation #5) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:31 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Also, the Mafia has no choice but to hope in the presence of extensions (else they've pretty much lost). Although we may confirm it for them by the claim I suggested, it won't change the way they'll play. It may reinsure them but it doesn't give them anymore option.
Actually, after let's say 4-5 persons claim extension, we could stop the process to judge the situation then.

I'm also not a fan of how you present no lynch as the only way forward and particularly, I'd like explanations on the following :"Thirdly, if the optimal play is a no-lynch, there shouldn’t be any bandwagons." :
- Please explain the "if", as you seem dead sure and to be pushing for a quick no-discussion No-Lynch day (that's the impression I'm getting of you right now).
- Please explain how a bit of wagonning hurts the town. Why shouldn't we try to get scums also by "standard" means in parallel.

In any case, the No Lynch wagon is a bit fast to my taste. Could we possibly cool down on it while we decide what to do exactly ?
If the majority wants to go with it, we can still do it after a bit more discussion.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #53 (isolation #6) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Yes, I'm advocating against No Lynch.

The number of civilization names is limited, even with extensions. Counter-claims are therefore a good weapon, which we shouldn't throw away so easily.
There is also no chance to out a cop or a doc like in standard games.
Even at worst, the loss of a townie wouldn't deny us the possiblity of a chain of inspections in any manner anyway.
Additionally, if the mod gave four townies extension names and gave scums safe claims, I'd rather know it early than too late.

So, yes, I think No Lynch is the wrong way to go.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #58 (isolation #7) » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:29 am

Post by Puzzle »

Unvote, vote Dybeck
. I was wondering if it was because I was the one targetted by Dybeck's post that I hated it, but Mr Flay confirmed that the post is indeed fairly scummy.

I have a few problems getting on Vismaior's thought lengthwave, as I had understood that he wanted no lynch too, but it seems we in fact agree on having a combination of normal lynch process + circular investigations of the town.
By the way, if some of us didn't make investigation units last night, no need to say so. Just pretend you did for now : no need to indicate to scums who can check them tonight or not.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #75 (isolation #8) » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:26 pm

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:Ok, I got the error. I assumed for some weird, totally stupid reason that investigations only happen if the previous one fails. Obviously that is wrong. EmpTy has the correct numbers. I think the best results could be achieved if we would agree on who is checking who, then it could not happen that a scum gets no investigation at all, increasing our chances. So, who is gonna pick that?
I fear that may be optimistic : there are chances for scums to be asked to check other scums and it seems hard to avoid.
For the other, I'd say either the subscription order, or alphabetical order, or anything that doesn't really involve personal choices.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #78 (isolation #9) » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:17 am

Post by Puzzle »

i have the impression that quite a few haven't posted yet.

Prods ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #83 (isolation #10) » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:27 am

Post by Puzzle »

Message from Armlx : since the move, he's having massive problems logging in.

His posting may be sporadic.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #88 (isolation #11) » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Post by Puzzle »

1) Interference by the Mafia can take 2 forms, as far as I can see :
- kill someone who checks one of them : suspicion falls on who was investigated.
- kill someone who doesn't check one of them : higher risk of getting caught.
A lose / lose situation for them, imo.
And scums don't know anyway who built cops and not, so as long as we keep them in the blur, they may target people who didn't and that plays in our court.

2) Gives away who is who. Gets people to check themselves. I'm against.

3) Loop of investigation incomplete, potentially leaving scums through the net. Also requires to tell the scums who the docs and cops are. The advantage is that we can start this plan earlier than others in case not everyone chose to build cop on night 1. I'd prefer 1 or 4 though.

4) A bit the same as 3 but with the bonus of giving away less info to scums.

So for me, it's rather 1 or 4, with a preference on 1. The mass investigation scheme has no reason to be delayed, as long as scums don't know who built cops on night 1 and not. Those who didn't can just stay silent, like all who don't find scum.
Whoever finds scum should obviously come forward tomorrow.

And I think we should change the order of who checks who every day.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #91 (isolation #12) » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:18 am

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Puzzle wrote:1) Interference by the Mafia can take 2 forms, as far as I can see :
- kill someone who checks one of them : suspicion falls on who was investigated.
- kill someone who doesn't check one of them : higher risk of getting caught.
A lose / lose situation for them, imo.
And scums don't know anyway who built cops and not, so as long as we keep them in the blur, they may target people who didn't and that plays in our court.
You're forgetting:
- kill someone who is targeting someone suspicious : suspicion falls on the target. I have a feeling people did not tend toward building cops N1, so there's a good chance scum will slip through tonight anyway.

I wonder if a variant of 3 is to capitalize on the 'tendencies' of the civs? Militaristic build Vig units, Pacifistic build docs, Expansionist builds cops, etc...? Then we don't have to know who is who right away.
Thing is : the scums don't have many means to know who made what (apart from our behaviours).
Even if we may not have a complete inspection circle, it's worth trying to get as many inspections as possible, as the scums are quite blind to who is effective on night 1 or not.
And I doubt people built vigs (no comment pls). So, if some built docs (idem), they should now build cops : Docs delay scums, cops burn them. This way, on next nights, we get the highest odds to catch rats.

Even if night 1 doesn't bring scums, the repetition and high number of cops will make it more likely to catch scums in the following nights. Additionally, the more cops we have (all of us if possible), the harder it is for scums to get rid of them.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #93 (isolation #13) » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:56 am

Post by Puzzle »

armlx wrote:The only problem I see is after a few nights the scum get a bunch of RB's and block our units. Still, they will randomly miss with the RB and we will hit them.
1. I'm not sure at all that scums get units (imagine each with a vig).
2. The problem is the same even if we build docs or vigs, except that cops will be more efficient in purging the town.
3. Even if scums can build blockers, this goes in the way that we shouldn't go No Lynch anyway.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #112 (isolation #14) » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:56 pm

Post by Puzzle »

@ mod :
We may really need some prods, here. I've been away andback and a few still haven't posted yet.

Else, I'm still happy with my vote but may open to others.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #130 (isolation #15) » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:38 pm

Post by Puzzle »

EmpTyger wrote:Puzzle:
Puzzle [15] wrote:Correction to my question : who cannot build units yet ?
Could you please clarify what you were asking here?
You may as well forget about it.
I got the idea when seeing Astronaut's post #9, where I got the impression he was in fact trying to question the all-cop idea, and would have nailed anyone coming up with "I can't". Swinkee took the cheese from the trap a bit before, so that won't work anyway.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #145 (isolation #16) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:25 am

Post by Puzzle »

Unvote, vote Swinkee
. That is the 7th.

I've always wanted to lynch a lurker on day 1. Way to go. :) . (Yes, I know it sounds incredibly scummy but it's true. Also, this is not an invitation to do so blindly).
*Hopes for claim and counter-claim*

@ Mod : retractable deadline, correct ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #153 (isolation #17) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:34 am

Post by Puzzle »

Alternatively, we could lynch MoS. :)

I want at least one name claim before the night. Counter-claims should be efficient in a setup where the number of available civilizations is limited, expansion or not.
And a lurker is just as good a target as others. I also happen to know Swinkee from MTGS a bit and for personal reasons, lynching him would suit me well.

Oh, in case we don't discuss it again later, I suggest following the order of our names in post #1 for tonight's inspections. That is then as of now :
inHimshallibe
VisMaior
Astronaut
dybeck
d_rouge
Puzzle
rolandofthewhite
swinkee
HezLucky
rajrhcpfreak
Bamboomancer
armlx
Mastermind of Sin
Mr. Flay
EmpTyger
corporateclaw
mlaker
Iammars
Thok
So, Inhim checks VisMaior, who checks Astronaut, who... ... Thok who checks Inhim. I don't care if someone wants something else but it's better to have something defined.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #156 (isolation #18) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:00 am

Post by Puzzle »

Yes :
the order of our names in post #1
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #160 (isolation #19) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:53 am

Post by Puzzle »

inHimshallibe wrote:Puzzle - you've made that list under the assumption that everyone built a cop unit, correct? What about those that chose another unit to build, or those that advanced? Things to consider, these are.
Well, they can simply build cops tonight without saying anything yet. Then, tomorrow, they can just say they were just building, which means unable to give a result, and the problem will have disappeared for the following night for which everyone will have cops.

I don't mind the list being altered but I think someone else should make the alterations. Never leave all your eggs in one basket, my grandma used to say.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #171 (isolation #20) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:27 pm

Post by Puzzle »

HezLucky wrote:EmpTyger:

I admit I'm guilty of skimming. didn't respond to it because I didn't see it... it is pretty small after all.

I guess my response to that would be umm... "no, not really..."

Thok:

You clearly can't read me. Please see my other games. Esp Gambit Mafia where everyone was sure I was scum and I turned up cop at the end.
You, sir, definitely have a given talent to sound scummy (like me but that's not the point).

To the point, lurkers :
- are not fun to play with.
- make discussions die.
- hamper the voting system, which is critical to the town.
- are the cause of many replacements, which prevents the town for building up decent analysis.
- are a tendency that make it easier for scums to hide.
- are much more difficult to fault if they are scums than talking scums, therefore more dangerous.
- are not fun to play with.

In conclusion, I still want to lynch my lurker today. Swinkee or any other from EmpTyger's list are okay to me.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #174 (isolation #21) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:32 pm

Post by Puzzle »

dybeck wrote:I'm inclined to believe that lurkers who post after being called out are ten times scummier than those that continue to lurk. They're much more likely to be scum, rather than absentees.
That is not helpful. [/BJ]
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #176 (isolation #22) » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:47 am

Post by Puzzle »

I guess you're right but now that you've said it, this excuse is moot. How about another lurker, then ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #179 (isolation #23) » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:12 am

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:How is that not helpful, Puzzle? It's true; if you're lurking (as in watching the thread), you're like to pipe up when somebody calls you on it. If you're absent (not even on the site, for whatever reason), that's a null tell.

EmpTyger: Those I put a full FOS on are the ones I thought were fishing/bandwagoning; the ones I said "to a lesser extent" on were the ones I believed had honest, if possibly mistaken, justifications.

::edit while posting:: Puzzle's continued posts this morning aren't getting any better. By the way, can you explain this post from the first page, Puzz?
Open question : how long would it take for each of us to get your first unit ?
Correction to my question : who cannot build units yet ?
I already have.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #207 (isolation #24) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:13 am

Post by Puzzle »

swinkee wrote:Between some internet issues and other stuff piling on, I haven't really been able to post much. Sorry, I'll try to post more from now on.
*cough, cough*

You ARE an extreme lurker, Swinkee, particularly when scum.

dybeck wrote:
Mastermind of Sin wrote:somehow I doubt that
This is not helpful.

unvote d_rouge, vote: Mastermind of Sin
[/img]
Oh my God ! Dybeck has caght the BJite. Careful, it may be contagious...

I want to lynch a lurker !!! Whhhhaaaaaah ! :cry:
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #209 (isolation #25) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:34 am

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:
Oh my God ! Dybeck has caght the BJite. Careful, it may be contagious...
We might consider killing off the plague... :lol: If it spreads, that would be devastating.... :mrgreen:
Burn it or else it may survive !
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #220 (isolation #26) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Vesuvan wrote:Right, caught up now. Puzzle and Astronaut are the two most likely to be scum.

Vote: Puzzle
I'd really, really like an explanation.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #223 (isolation #27) » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:27 am

Post by Puzzle »

And you are ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #238 (isolation #28) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:14 am

Post by Puzzle »

Vesuvan wrote:
VisMaior wrote:Vesuvan, care to elaborate your reasons?
An extended pattern of behavior between pages 2 and 5.

If you want me to go into more detail, hold in mind that you're asking for a 4000-word post. It'll take time for me to write it up and time for you to read it, but at least I won't get BabyJesus voting me for doing so.
Astrology ? Numerology ? Dice-throwing ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #245 (isolation #29) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Oh, a Vesuvan post ! Image
I see you took a lot of time and efforts to bring this up, so I will respect this in taking great care for my answer to match it.

Or maybe not.Image
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #251 (isolation #30) » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:39 am

Post by Puzzle »

I wanted to see reactions before answering and I'm quite happy with the first ones.

Now, answers :
1. The question about who cannot build units : it is made clear in post #3 that all townies can build units. Had anyone come out saying the contrary, he would have been scum paying little attention.
How could this question harm the town ?

2. Main game / extension mass claim :
What is the importance of giving this info to the mafia ? What would they do with it ? If we are all from the main game, they are stuffed, so they have to claim extensions anyway. Having people claim main game would help clearing them partially at least, for
0 cost as the Mafia's play is not influenced / improved by revealing this

3. "He even fishes for existence of unbalanced civilizations in post 53 by suggesting that there couldn't be any "cop/doctor" : look at post #53, please. I say "There is also no chance to out a cop or a doc like in standard games. ". I'm not fishing, I'm stating the obvious : our cop or doc aptitudes are defined by our choices, not by the setup.
There is no particular role to be afraid to expose. Misrepresentation ?

4. "Puzzle seems to be insistent on directing the town in a certain direction of play" : yes, guilty.
What direction ?
I insisted on the all-cop direction, the no-No-Lynch and the circular inspection. Obviously in scum interests.

5. Suggesting setting up a defined order (originally proposed by VisMaior in post 74) was leaped on quite quickly by Puzzle, and he carries it throughout. However, after being so strongly in support of this, he points out how easily this strategy can fail in post 88, yet still supports the idea completely!
And what is the alternative ?
Why do you omit to mention the other options and the reasons why I reject them ?
The strategy has weaknesses but it remains the best available, in my humble opinion.
What alternative do you suggest and why ?

6. "Puzzle should know there are options beyond building units, yet he presents that as though it's a non-option. He should also realise that if the scum don't get any units, the town is grossly over-powered. " : what options ?
Why shouldn't I doubt it with the all-vig option open for scums ?

"He also takes the angle of armlx opposing the idea of a lynch rather than opposing the idea of an "investigation circle"" :
Lie
, I've kept on saying the opposite.

7. Lurker-lynching will : guilty. :)

8. My reason for wanting to lynch Swinkee is available now : I was certain he was scum in 8-bit (on MTGS) and have been outraged that the town refused obstinatedly to lynch him. Simple reprisal (
*scribbles Vesuvan's name on a piece of paper*
). :)

9. "MORE directing the town to play into the mafia's hands! " : fortunately, you arrived to save the town from this evil plan. Very strong tell indeed.
Now, what will you suggest that people build instead of cops ?

Did I forget anything ?

Now, if I'm scum :
- Why would I want to make sure that townies go for cops instead of vigs or docs ? You may want to explain why making cops is the bad strategy here.
- Why would I have opposed the No-Lynch strategy ?
- Why would I want to optimize inspections by avoiding some people receiving multiples while others receive none ?

I must really be a terrible scum player for you to have found soooooo many tells in each of my posts. Ah, tells and their power... Did you know that being named Vesuvan is a 99% scum tell ?

In my view, a long post doesn't prove a point if the base of the argument is weak. However, it's a good way to make people believe it's solid whereas a close look shows it isn't. When you are unable to synthetize your arguments, it is the sign there is something wrong in them.

A good player, which you know, recently told me that overstating cases is also a scum tell. Should I believe him ? :)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #262 (isolation #31) » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:45 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Vesuvan wrote:
Puzzle wrote:I wanted to see reactions before answering and I'm quite happy with the first ones.
Now, answers :
1. The question about who cannot build units : it is made clear in post #3 that all townies can build units. Had anyone come out saying the contrary, he would have been scum paying little attention.
How could this question harm the town ?
Not all townies are necessarily equal. Had there been any inequality in townies, the mafia would want to know that. Townies, however, do not need to know that.
Post #3 says you're wrong that some townies may not be able to build units.
2. Main game / extension mass claim :
What is the importance of giving this info to the mafia ? What would they do with it ? If we are all from the main game, they are stuffed, so they have to claim extensions anyway. Having people claim main game would help clearing them partially at least, for
0 cost as the Mafia's play is not influenced / improved by revealing this
This leads to giving the mafia more information about the setup before they are called upon to claim. Regardless of the setup, this is a Bad Thing
(TM)
as it gives the mafia an idea of what will or will not work. In addition, if we are dealing with a setup where townies are not created equal, giving that info to the mafia is also a Bad Thing
(TM)
Most importantly, there is NO SITUATION where giving this info to the town is a good thing unless we assume the game was designed to be quickly broken by a day 1 mass-claim. Having designed a few games myself, a game that lasts for ~100 posts is not considered a "good design principle". I tend to give a mod more credit than that.
By the way, the fact you would use this defense just reinforces my reason to vote for you.
Why would I want to give ideas to the Mafia during the day if I'm with them, when there's been a night shortly before ? And you don't answer the point that the info it gives them is useless to them.
Then, you bash my attempt to take advantage of the setup on
speculation
that the setup cannot be taken advantage of.
Why is my defense reinforcing your vote exactly ?
3. "He even fishes for existence of unbalanced civilizations in post 53 by suggesting that there couldn't be any "cop/doctor" : look at post #53, please. I say "There is also no chance to out a cop or a doc like in standard games. ". I'm not fishing, I'm stating the obvious : our cop or doc aptitudes are defined by our choices, not by the setup.
There is no particular role to be afraid to expose. Misrepresentation ?
Do you KNOW for certain that there are no unbalanced civilizations? Ones that may be have better horsemen for instance, or better spearmen?
No you don't know that. Why? Becuase we ALL KNOW THAT IS THE CASE. How? What's "unique units", precious?
Misrepresentation? No; logical interpretation.
All of us have access to cops. As for Unique Units, how do you guess who has access to a "supercop" from just main game / extension claim ?
Going through the maths also showed that even if we all had access to a "super-cop" right away, the loss of tempo (time spent evolving instead of investigating at night) involved doesn't make it particularly interesting.
Why did you choose not to mention / counter the maths involved there ?

4. "Puzzle seems to be insistent on directing the town in a certain direction of play" : yes, guilty.
What direction ?
I insisted on the all-cop direction, the no-No-Lynch and the circular inspection. Obviously in scum interests.
The anti-No-Lynch bit is pro-town, I'll give you that. The circular inspection direction is actually quite well in scum interests. Thanks for slipping up there. All-cops direction may well play into the mafia's hands, but we don't know that for certain one way or the other, but it could well depend on the strategy the mafia worked out last night.
When someone is vigorously trying to direct the town's night actions, it's scummy. Period.
When it's in a way that plays right into a path of mafia strategy
, I want to lynch you.
How do you know that exactly ? You are quite affirmative, there.
And on a secondary layer, how can it play into the Mafia's hands exactly ?
5. Suggesting setting up a defined order (originally proposed by VisMaior in post 74) was leaped on quite quickly by Puzzle, and he carries it throughout. However, after being so strongly in support of this, he points out how easily this strategy can fail in post 88, yet still supports the idea completely!
And what is the alternative?
To let each person choose their own night actions so the mafia can't make their plans with known information (i.e. the town's strategy).
I know you're a Magic player, so we are both well aware of how metagaming works, and that a metagamed strategy is only effective when you know your opponent's strategy. Don't play dumb with me.
I would never. Image
So, you advocate risking to pile investigations onto the same persons and miss potential scums ? This would probably have let off the hook some categories of players (lurkers for example) for talkative players, who cops always tend to investigate (wrongly imo but that is another debate).
Still, I am quite ready to open to this option (all-cops investigating the person of their choice) if you can show me that :
- the risk involved by the Mafia knowing the target for each of us is significant : what are the consequences ?
- it outbalances the possibility a free-targetting gives them to claim to have investigated only townies / dead people.
Why do you omit to mention the other options and the reasons why I reject them ?
Thanks for teh slip-up.
You never stated a reason to reject the option of letting players make their own decisions. You just said that you preferred the pre-planned strategy, despite pointing out how the mafia can abuse it.
You are mentioning #88, saying you analyzed it. How about asking everyone to read it ? Do I need to quote it ? Is this what people call a
lie
?
And that's the most telling point: you point out how the mafia can abuse the strategy. Why would a townie do that, except to argue against using the strategy? It's suicide.
The answer is that there is no logical reason for a
townie
to do that.
:lol:. Any why would a mafia say it ?
The strategy has weaknesses but it remains the best available, in my humble opinion.
What alternative do you suggest and why ?
Opinion already laughed at and the alternative was one you were ready to go with in post 88...
...Until you just slipped up now, of course.
(replies to the rest of that gibberish to come soon)
I can smell an epeeguy-wannabee in the neighbourhood... Why is it that I always get dragged into this kind of stuff ? Do I look that much like I like it ? Image

Vesuvan wrote:
6. "Puzzle should know there are options beyond building units, yet he presents that as though it's a non-option. He should also realise that if the scum don't get any units, the town is grossly over-powered. " : what options ?
Advancing ones civilization to the next era, so as to get better units. This had been suggested and the benefits highlighted (post 11) before you ignored the option.
... based on maths you conveniently forgot to mention.
Why shouldn't I doubt it with the all-vig option open for scums ?
This is a little unclear, so I take it you're asking why you shouldn't doubt that the scum should be able to build units? Because otherwise the scum are vastly out-powered by the town.
The confusing thing on this point is how often your opinion has changed on whether the scum will be able to build units or not.
And how many times exactly ? Just give post numbers where I switch my mind about it. I'm sure you want to be accurate and not appear to be foggy in any manner. :)
"He also takes the angle of armlx opposing the idea of a lynch rather than opposing the idea of an "investigation circle"" :
Lie
, I've kept on saying the opposite.
Perhaps you mis-understand what I say here (I'm going to be nice here and all and allow the possibility that you're not just lying).
When you responded to Armlx, you mis-represented him by indicating that he opposed the idea of a lynch, whereas Armlx was opposing the idea of an investigation circle, not the idea of a lynch. He was quite clearly on the side of lynching.
#93 for reference : I didn't misrepresent him in any way. I just said it was going the way I advocated. I see in #94 that I misunderstood him but it isn't the case.
7. Lurker-lynching will : guilty. :)
8. My reason for wanting to lynch Swinkee is available now : I was certain he was scum in 8-bit (on MTGS) and have been outraged that the town refused obstinatedly to lynch him. Simple reprisal (
*scribbles Vesuvan's name on a piece of paper*
). :)
Not a valid reason to want to lynch someone
in this game
. That's not playing to a townie win, that's playing to satisfy a vendetta. That's a scum tell.
Oh, a tell... and Locus voting IS is a tell, then ? I guess you're right, though, anybody knowing me well enough (like you) should know I'd never do that. Image
9. "MORE directing the town to play into the mafia's hands! " : fortunately, you arrived to save the town from this evil plan. Very strong tell indeed.
Now, what will you suggest that people build instead of cops ?
I would suggest people think for themselves instead of allowing the mafia to metagame against an openly presented strategy.
Now, if I'm scum :
- Why would I want to make sure that townies go for cops instead of vigs or docs ? You may want to explain why making cops is the bad strategy here.
Because allowing the mafia to interfere with a pre-planned pattern of investigations trivialises the value of the town building cops.
You're doing that "straw man argument" thing again.
So, in short, you think it would have been better to let people build vigs and docs and let everyone over-target some people, gathering no info on the rest in the process. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

- Why would I have opposed the No-Lynch strategy ?
Again with the straw man - that's not even part of my argument against you.
Indeed, it isn't.
Why isn't it taken into account in your argumentation ?

- Why would I want to optimize inspections by avoiding some people receiving multiples while others receive none ?
This one has been answered multiple times already ITT. This allows the scum to interfere with the planned investigation pattern by selecting who they will kill and/or roleblock.
And this has been answered ITT : #93, #95, #103, #199 and quite a few others.
I must really be a terrible scum player for you to have found soooooo many tells in each of my posts. Ah, tells and their power... Did you know that being named Vesuvan is a 99% scum tell ?
Wow, ad-hom attacks too. Why don't you just roleclaim "barbarian" already? Now you're attacking me personally and claiming that there are no such things as scum tells.
I guess we should all just shoot each other at random, huh?
I'm saying that "tells" are an efficient way to disguise otherwise poorly-based accusations. Logic + analysis of reasonings and motivations >>> "tells" to me.
Did you seriously take this for an ad-hominem attack ? Misrepresentation again ? You wouldn't do that, would you ?
In my view, a long post doesn't prove a point if the base of the argument is weak. However, it's a good way to make people believe it's solid whereas a close look shows it isn't. When you are unable to synthetize your arguments, it is the sign there is something wrong in them.
Puzzle, there are very strong arguments against you. You just convinced me further that you're scum with this bit, though.
Obv, obv, obv. Image
A good player, which you know, recently told me that overstating cases is also a scum tell. Should I believe him ? :)
You're referring to a game in progress. The alleigance of that player and myself in that game is not known at this time. Bad Puzzle!
And by associating your posting style with this, your secret identity goes down the drain. I just didn't think you were in there.
But agreed, I won't insist there. My apologies.

I didn't vote Vesuvan previously because I was actually wondering if he was in fact baiting with a fake case to see who would hop onto the wagon. However, it appears he was serious and unless some really serious points comes out from his whole case on me is justifiable to find me scum, I'll believe he was just pulling an epeeguy.
For now,
FOS Vesuvan
. Maybe listing your actual points proving my scumminess in 10-15 lines would be nice, so that everyone can actually take the time to read them correctly.

I have two cards in hand. Your turn.Image

By the way,
unvote Swinkee
. I am disappointed but we have apparently reached a point beyond lurker-lynching.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #263 (isolation #32) » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:48 pm

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:Ok, I think Im on Puzzles side on this debate. I had the feeling that he is protown from early on.The points he brings up seem valid from a plain townie point of view, its just that he made a few assumptions

1. everyone is equal (this suggests that he is a plain townie, if protown)
2. Noone has any special units yet (might be so)
3. the game might be easyly broken. Actually, thats not unheard of, so its not really an unreasonable assumption.

Vesuvan makes the opposite assumptions.
The only thinkg that I found is the issue with the circle-investigating. I think its better to not do that, but Vesuvan makes it look worse than it actually is (altough its not best, it has merits, until I counted the chances I was for it too), and he counts it twice in his analysys.

I still think suggesting building units other than cops is somewhat scummy. I think cops and better cops(aka advancing) are our best options. Scum would want us to deterr frm that, so FOS: raj.

I still hold to my vote tough. Thoks "flooding with numbers" comment is blatantly antitown, even without hindsight. (as in, even if I had been right with my calculation, recalculating NEVER hurts!)
1. Or that I don't care about my Unique Unit : I explained why.
2. Nope. Post #3 is clear that all of us have one.
3. I don't think it can be completely 100% broken, like Final Fantasy for example, but there is a certain edge the town can take based on the setup.

:)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #265 (isolation #33) » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:24 am

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:So basically, what I said. Nitpicker...
Me, nitpicker ? Image
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #269 (isolation #34) » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:24 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:Wow, Vesuvan posts more than
I
do... :shock:

Anyway, many of the points can be rebutted, but the fact that Puzzle seems to know so little about the starting setup for townies (not taking civ advancement into account, misrepresenting what roleblockers do, ignoring Unique Units) has me convinced this is a good D1 choice.

Unvote (but still FOS): Mastermind of Sin, Vote: Puzzle
Knowing =/= being interested in. Image
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #280 (isolation #35) » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:54 am

Post by Puzzle »

Vesuvan wrote:Puzzle, I'm not going to have time to answer all the points in that really long post until tomorrow, but if you stop using straw-man arguments, you're going to look at lot less scummy (and attract a lot fewer really long posts from people like me).

In summary, the two main points:

- Building cops is a good idea, but pre-planning investigations is not. Your straw-man position on this argument is that I'm arguing against building cops, which I'm not (unless a civilization's unique unit was a cop/doc or something)
How should I understand this (your #243) :
Vesuvan wrote:His response to valid questions being raised?
Puzzle wrote:
inHimshallibe wrote: Puzzle - you've made that list under the assumption that everyone built a cop unit, correct? What about those that chose another unit to build, or those that advanced? Things to consider, these are.
Well, they can simply build cops tonight without saying anything yet. Then, tomorrow, they can just say they were just building, which means unable to give a result, and the problem will have disappeared for the following night for which everyone will have cops.
MORE directing the town to play into the mafia's hands!
(strong scum tell)
As for the pre-planned investigations, it allows us to make sure everyone is checked and avoid "wasting" investigations that could be piled onto the same people. However, if you can show me how taking this risk is better than letting the mafia know who investigates who, I'm all ears.

- All townies being equal is clearly disproven by the existence of unique units. Your straw-man position on me pointing out that not all townies are equal is to point out that all townies have the same basic units, despite me explaining that my reasoning is based on the existence of unique units.
I have explained why I consider Unique Units to be poor strategy, because of the basic problem with evolving : each night spent evolving is one night less spent investigating. If you can guarantee me that we can get a x/x/5 unit within 3 nights, I may restart the mathematical analysis but :
- I feel that it would take quite a bit longer, taking steps forced evolving through compromised stats (going through 0/0/2 to 0/0/3 to 0/0/4 to 0/0/5 and then build a unit would be optimal but would take time and we may be forced to go 0/0/2 to 0/1/2 to 0/1/3 to 1/1/3 to 1/1/4 to 1/2/4 to 1/2/5 and then unit for instance, which would ruin any hope to reach a full-cop status in time to use the ability).
- I'm far from sure a x/x/5 unit would be available to everyone (idem).
- even for those who can make x/x/5 in 3-4 nights, I have yet to be convinced that it would give better results at the end, because of the time spent not inspecting in between + the risk of being killed. I gave maths explaining my reasoning on a day 3 turn on my first post (#4). That may justify a re-run, though.
This is why I consider Unique Units a lure rather than a good play. Therefore, their presence is a non-issue to me.
There are also a number of weak tells in regards to you, which you respond to by claiming that "logic + analysis of reasonings and motivations > tells". However, analysis of reasonings and motivations are the basis of "tells". I'm simply quoting the end-conclusion, not each step taken to get there.

And yes, I have my eye on how eager Raj is to agree with everything I've said here.
You may also want to see how quickly others joined too. You generated a one-page busy wagon : are you sure your case is that good / obvious / clear-cut ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #294 (isolation #36) » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 am

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:
<snip>
Simply put, if you actually WERE town and HAD upgraded, you would know that you don't receive your results until the next night begins.

Did I miss the part where Puzzle said that he had upgraded?
I have too...

By the way, I must admit that I still don't understand what part of the setup I haven't understood, how I have slipped up about it and how that makes me scummy, unless it's referring to my initial question about who couldn't build units yet.
In this case, it will teach me to be more cautious about where I put my fingers when I lay a trap...
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #302 (isolation #37) » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Well, claim time, I guess, although I would have liked more inputs and positioning from Lurker & Co.

I am Hammurabi - Babylonians.
I started with units everyone have available + the Bowman (Unique Unit, as I understand, 2/1/1) already available. However, I built a horseman 0/0/2 for the reasons I already explained.

There is a bit of flavour at the beginning of my PM, which I can detail if necessary.

Is it ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #306 (isolation #38) » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 am

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:So now what, we all confirm we're not the Babylonians? it would at least point out the serious lurkers....

I can see the Unique Unit argument from Puzzle's POV, but he's still been really squirrely. It's not like the Bowman couldn't be targeted separately from your cop, and it would cover a scum kill nicely if you succeeded.
Okay, I'm lost. What do you mean, here ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #309 (isolation #39) » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:57 am

Post by Puzzle »

OK, I just understood the problem with what I said : I thought that it was either advance, or use units, or build one. Re-reading post 3, it appears that building and using units are not incompatible. So, yes, I understand your suspicion on me now.

However, may I underline that :
- this post is available for the mafia to read, which proves that whatever my side, this was an honest mistake.
- the use of units and developments was not mentioned in my PM, which confirms that I had just as many chances to make this mistake occur whatever side I'm on.

So, although my misreading post #3 can be seen as bad play, I don't think it proves much about my alignment.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #314 (isolation #40) » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Post by Puzzle »

I still think we've got a lurker problem, but IF enough people can agree on my possible townieness, then wouldn't it be worth looking at my wagon for info, mmhhh ?
By the way, guys, a wagon taking off to 7 in 2 pages seems really fast to me.

Puzzle: 7 (Vesuvan, armlx, rajrhcpfreak, Mr. Flay, inHimshallibe, Thok, HezLucky)

Of these:
Vesuvan : started the wagon by what I think to be quite an overstated case. However, if Rajrhcpfreak is scum (see below), I doubt he would have jumped on a fellow scum wagon like he did.
Armlx : I know Armlx to behave regularly like he did, which earned him quite a few day 1 lynches before.
Rajrhcpfreak :
wagonning on no-lynch with 0 personal input + against all-cop + wagonning on me with 0 personal input as 3rd (oh, a tell...) = scummy to me.
Mr. Flay : seems to have thought well (better than me) of how the town manages units. Although I don't think the argument proves much on my alignment, it underlines his center of interest, making him more townish. Additionally, he helped pushing the all-cop and no-No-Lynch, if I remember well.
Inhim : seemed genuinely to see my points against Vesuvan's arguments and refused to join (even voting Mr Flay). Then, when understanding Mr Flay, votes me. He didn't seem eager to wagon for the sake of wagonning : townish.
Thok
: much has already been said about him. His behaviour on my wagon reeks more of scum pushing it to get a lynch than townie analyzing it and coming to a conclusion, imho. i may want to make a re-read on him first, though. Look at #282 : he wagons, but doesn't seem to see Mr Flay's point anymore than me ("it feels like his most recent comments about unit development are an attempt to change discussion"), just saying I ignored comments although I spent quite a bit of time answering everything I could. So, he wagons but doesn't actually bring a valid reason.
HezLucky : no actual reason to suspect him. Barning Mr Flay and Inhim.

Looking at the whole picture, that would make scums in 3rd and 6th position : quite like what I'd expect Mafia to do, personally.

So, for now,
vote Thok
. I could vote Rajr too, and would say that to me either Rajrhcpfreak is scum, or Vesuvan, but not both (not a false dilemna, just analysis of #250 : I doubt a scum would wagon with another one as 1st and 3rd vote in such a manner.
Still, Vesuvan redirecting the heat to EmpTyger, when some people confirms my info matches their PMs and when Emptyger is after Thok, doesn't help me choosing between him and Rajrhcpfreak. This is why I'd rather begin with Thok.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #336 (isolation #41) » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:34 pm

Post by Puzzle »

You know, Mr Flay, for someone who pays attention to details from the mod, the following sounds very ignorant to me :
Mr. Flay wrote:
Unvote: Puzzle
claim seems to be uncontested by the majority, and night investigations can take care of it anyway. Strange game, in which claims have almost no downside...
I still think lynching is a good idea today, but will need to reread a bit to get a better sense of how the landscape has changed.
You paid very good notice to what the mod made public and used it as a (fair) basis to attack me but you here seem to ignore details about my claim that clear me :
- you do not understand why people drop my wagon.
- you still call for inspection on me.
Your apparent non-knowledge of what makes my claim believable earns you a
big FOS Mr Flay
. Vote stays on Thok though.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #337 (isolation #42) » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Oh, and Vesuvan seems eager to lynch talkers, obviously. :)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #353 (isolation #43) » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:42 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Puzzle wrote:You know, Mr Flay, for someone who pays attention to details from the mod, the following sounds very ignorant to me :
Mr. Flay wrote:
claim seems to be uncontested by the majority, and night investigations can take care of it anyway. Strange game, in which claims have almost no downside...
I still think lynching is a good idea today, but will need to reread a bit to get a better sense of how the landscape has changed.
You paid very good notice to what the mod made public and used it as a (fair) basis to attack me but you here seem to ignore details about my claim that clear me :
big FOS Mr Flay
I admit I went back and looked at your claim, but I don't see what you're getting at. So a couple of people have cleared you based on the wording of your claim - does that mean everyone's PMs are worded the same? I doubt it... wouldn't that make the game even more breakable than a Mass Claim?
You doubt it ? Shouldn't you know it's not the case if yours is different ?
And, I suspect *everyone*, until they're proven to me. If I still want to investigate you, I think that's my right, don't you think? I'm not saying I'm going to, but you seem to consider your claim a done deal. We haven't heard from many players yet (which is a totally different problem). I count these who haven't responded to it:
  • Bamboomancer
  • dybeck
  • d_rouge
  • Iammars (functionally, anyway)
  • Mastermind of Sin
  • rolandofthewhite
  • Swinkee
From that list, the highest on my scum radar are MoS and Bamboomancer, but I've already been around the block with MoS.
Vote: Bamboomancer
; he's already set up the idea that he'll be no good at investigation.
There is a difference between keeping suspicions and wanting to orientate investigations.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #355 (isolation #44) » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:22 am

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:im beginning to think that a mass-claim could prove fruitful here. We dont have to fear outing special roles as even if they exist, we are pretty powerful on ourself. Any toughts on this?
Yes, I got wagonned for saying this earlier.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #358 (isolation #45) » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:53 am

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Puzzle wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:
Puzzle wrote:You know, Mr Flay, for someone who pays attention to details from the mod, the following sounds very ignorant to me :
Mr. Flay wrote:
big FOS Mr Flay
I admit I went back and looked at your claim, but I don't see what you're getting at. So a couple of people have cleared you based on the wording of your claim - does that mean everyone's PMs are worded the same? I doubt it... wouldn't that make the game even more breakable than a Mass Claim?
You doubt it ? Shouldn't you know it's not the case if yours is different ?
Good lord, how dense are you?
I don't know what your PM says
, or anyone else's, so how can I know whether or not they're worded differently? Unless you're claiming mason with another civ, or scum outright! Do you want to compare PMs? You quote first...
Alternatively, you could have read my claim...
I think you're fishing for anything you can use, and I don't like it, personally. You've been trying to run this day ever since we started, despite the fact that your
vaunted
numbers have been wrong on numerous occasions. I wasn't trying to "direct" investigations on anyone; I've already said I think we're better off not revealing who our targets are for tonight. Any other inanities you'd like to utter, Puzzle?
Hum, yes : how about trying to lynch someone who wasn't on my wagon, if I appear to be townie due to details in my claim. Big enough inanity ?
Thok wrote:Almost all info that would be gotten out of a mass claim would be gotten from me claiming. At the very least, I want to be the first person to go in a mass claim.
Err, what? You have the names of all 20 civs in your PM? :shock:

Either I've completely lost track of what's being "claimed" in this Day, or there's something fishy going on. Being as it's Page 16 or whatever, I'd not be surprised either way (short days benefit scum, but overlong days can obscure the truth, too).
I would agree on Thok name-claiming next, to begin with. :)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #365 (isolation #46) » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:57 am

Post by Puzzle »

Astronaut wrote:
EmpTyger wrote:The presumption has been that a civilization is innocent; a barbarian guilty. I’m not willing to be certain it’s that cut-and-dried. (For one thing, again, if it is, then we may as well massclaim right now.)
That does it for me. Major slip-up or seriously bad play.

vote: EmpTyger
Mod said Barbarians = evil guys. Please explain your case.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #371 (isolation #47) » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:29 am

Post by Puzzle »

Astronaut wrote:
Puzzle wrote:
Astronaut wrote:
EmpTyger wrote:The presumption has been that a civilization is innocent; a barbarian guilty. I’m not willing to be certain it’s that cut-and-dried. (For one thing, again, if it is, then we may as well massclaim right now.)
That does it for me. Major slip-up or seriously bad play.

vote: EmpTyger
Mod said Barbarians = evil guys. Please explain your case.
You just explained my case for me. The rules (and my role PM) state that Babarians = scum. Emptyger in his post #345 doesn't seem so sure about this. You could also check out the EmpTyger quote in inHim's post #344.
That's all I was looking for. Thanks.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #372 (isolation #48) » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:31 am

Post by Puzzle »

"Preview" != "Submit"...

Unvote Thok, vote Emptyger
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #419 (isolation #49) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:39 am

Post by Puzzle »

Vote Rajhr...
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #421 (isolation #50) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:14 am

Post by Puzzle »

See #314.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #425 (isolation #51) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:51 am

Post by Puzzle »

VisMaior wrote:First we should see if anyone has any cop nvestigations, I think.
Nope. We should see that but only later in the day. Before the lynch, but later. Else, it corrupts reactions.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #427 (isolation #52) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:21 am

Post by Puzzle »

Later only, a bit before any lynch, at which point we'll change the lynch target to the one inspected guilty.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #429 (isolation #53) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:43 am

Post by Puzzle »

The point is that while scums don't know if we have a result or not, they should act in their usual way : trying to avoid losing one of theirs and getting us to mislynch. Once they know for sure we have one of them, it will be impossible to differentiate them from the rest of the town. Now that I've said that, though...

I agree that we can reveal any guilty result just before any claim is really made, and any innocent result if the wagonee is innocent.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #493 (isolation #54) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:30 am

Post by Puzzle »

@ D_rouge :
I think you should say if it's a guilty or an innocent result. At this point, say the name if it is a guilty but if innocent, I'd rather wait and proceed to the next claims and then do our normal wagonning / lynching process.
At some point, we'll ask someone for a claim. If it is the innocent result you got, tell us so and we won't ask for any info from this person, saving the info for possible counter-claims.
If not, let the claim go but we'll still need to know the full result before the end of the day even for the guy you cleared, just in case you get night-killed next.

Once again, I would have preferred to do our normal stuff before claiming results but hey...
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #496 (isolation #55) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:46 am

Post by Puzzle »

Not anymore now that you've said it + I doubt scums would like to get down that road so early anyway.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #500 (isolation #56) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:48 am

Post by Puzzle »

Agreed. Can we have an update on the list ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #518 (isolation #57) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:28 am

Post by Puzzle »

Anyone remember at the beginning of the day...
For tomorrow, can we just say nothing until we feel ready to lynch or are requesting a claim from an innocent, ok ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #526 (isolation #58) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:01 am

Post by Puzzle »

Boringly no result.

I'm actually extremely surprised by the lack of results. 40% chance to get a result for each cop and we got only one. That defies statistics, even if some of us didn't build cops/horsemen.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #533 (isolation #59) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:00 am

Post by Puzzle »

OK. My vote stands on Rajrhcpfreak.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #541 (isolation #60) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:45 am

Post by Puzzle »

unvote, vote Mr Flay
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #551 (isolation #61) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:14 am

Post by Puzzle »

Well, you got a desperate counter-defense. It's not so bad. :)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #555 (isolation #62) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:41 am

Post by Puzzle »

You'll have the opportunity to shine in a similar manner, don't worry. :)
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #562 (isolation #63) » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:52 am

Post by Puzzle »

Vote Rajrhcpfreak
, for a change.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #590 (isolation #64) » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:34 pm

Post by Puzzle »

It's the boring game, to be precise.

Anyway, nothing here.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #609 (isolation #65) » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 am

Post by Puzzle »

Bleh,
unvote Rajr
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #621 (isolation #66) » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:30 pm

Post by Puzzle »

d8P wrote:But everyone is finished revealing now, yeah? I have the feeling the mod is refusing to let us break the game. Statistically it's possible that we got so few, it's just highly unlikely.
QFT + I'm getting frigging bored by this baby-step-result-posting system with no real play.

I want BLOOOOODDDDDD !!!!

Vote Hezlucky
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #649 (isolation #67) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:22 am

Post by Puzzle »

@ armlx : nobody is ever 100% clear before death. Just nipicking.

This deadline is going to bite our arses pretty badly. Can we get something serious rolling ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #663 (isolation #68) » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Vote Vismaior
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #667 (isolation #69) » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:06 am

Post by Puzzle »

Claim ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #702 (isolation #70) » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Post by Puzzle »

You know, guys. This f***ing procedure has been sold to us by a SCUM !
It may be about time to realize that it's not the best way to play.

Vote Astronaut
. I thought you didn't like it. Why call for a repeat then ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #705 (isolation #71) » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:28 am

Post by Puzzle »

Look at post #1 : the mention of "European" barbarians tends to encourage the thought that there are multiple scum groups.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #712 (isolation #72) » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Post by Puzzle »

Not in the mood to wait for Lord Rahl. This process will take long enough.
I've got an innocent and will tell who later.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #714 (isolation #73) » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:35 am

Post by Puzzle »

OK. I hate to ask it, particularly considering TheSP's efforts to get the game back on track but :

Who wants to continue this game ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #717 (isolation #74) » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:21 am

Post by Puzzle »

Dead cockroaches don't speak.
Trample Vismaior
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #720 (isolation #75) » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:03 am

Post by Puzzle »

AT LAST !!

Anyway, as it seems people want to go on, I won't let anyone down and continue but I would for sure like to begin really playing Mafia.
Now, a scapegoat for this sluggish rythm :
Unvote Astronaut, vote Inhimshallibe
. Bandwagon !! (yeah, I'm alone, so what ?)

#676 : Inhim, how did you know Vismaior was the Huns ? Lynch him, lynch him now !
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #741 (isolation #76) » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:27 am

Post by Puzzle »

Astronaut wrote:<snip>
Puzzle has an innocent but doesn't want to reveal yet (why?)
<snip>
Because I still have that tiny hope that we'll begin playing Mafia at some point and I'd rather keep this information for optimal use when it happens.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #746 (isolation #77) » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:29 am

Post by Puzzle »

Any beer stand at your Expo ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #748 (isolation #78) » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:28 am

Post by Puzzle »

Actually, I didn't even consider it. :lol:

Now, give me your beer, you dirty German egotistic.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #760 (isolation #79) » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Post by Puzzle »

inHimshallibe wrote:What's the opinion on a Godfather Civilization?
Possible but way too early to go that way imho.
If I was a paranoid player, which I am, I'd see a possibility of scums trying to blur the map of cleared townies. Happy with my vote.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #762 (isolation #80) » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 am

Post by Puzzle »

Err, I'm not sure I understand your point or what you answer here. Can you please clarify ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #773 (isolation #81) » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:47 pm

Post by Puzzle »

rajrhcpfreak wrote:lets put pressure.

unvote
vote: Puzzle
*Shrugs*

I've already claimed. If you believe me scum, what will pressure achieve ?

Yosarian2 is innocent according to my Caravel.

Lynch me if you really think I'm scum. I'm really getting bored here anyway, to be honest.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #775 (isolation #82) » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:12 am

Post by Puzzle »

End of day 1 : Hammurabi - Babylonians.

See, that's exactly what pisses me in this game : nobody even tries to follow the game. We are just shooting results in the day, then waiting for the night, then shooting results, then waiting for the night,... This is NOT a Mafia game, it's a lottery game.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #777 (isolation #83) » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:30 am

Post by Puzzle »

You could also ask Inhim why he waited 3 posts before wagonning on me with an OMGUS in #769.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #779 (isolation #84) » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:51 am

Post by Puzzle »

Yeah, but I'm shy.
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #782 (isolation #85) » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:04 am

Post by Puzzle »

Then why did you say it was an OMGUS vote ?
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #794 (isolation #86) » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:51 am

Post by Puzzle »

I'd rather lynch Inhim, but hey, deadline :
unvote InHim, vote MoS
Commodore Amazing
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #795 (isolation #87) » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:52 am

Post by Puzzle »

Oh, and I'm still being lynched right now, fyi.
Commodore Amazing

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”