nopointinactingup
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 am

Post by nopointinactingup »

Hey everyone. I'm replacing probably the 2nd most inactive slot around. I skimmed through the thread and was terrified at the walls of text :eek:. Now I will put a summary of my read and vote and I'll be back in one day to justify them all, so it'd be no big deal since I requested deadline extension. Remember I just skimmed, so if there's any misunderstanding, do repel.

AWA:
Maybe it's just me but he has a weird attitude towards bandwagoning, which is, in my opinion, the most effective means of scum-hunting. His scum-hunting, though sufficient, doesn't strike me as genuine as it contains much irrelevant data. And his caution also gets me edgy. So a slight scum read. Btw, anyone notice he's always use "kill" instead of "lynch"?

AGar:
Constructive and Argumentative. Has a reasonable amount of analysis. Leaning towards Town.

Copper
: His scum hunting style appeals to me, and he's done a good load amount of analysis. Leaning Town.

DavidParker:
Looks a bit cop-like. I personally think cops should lay low and follow the town. But otherwise, a pretty scummy play. I don't buy his claim but I don't think we should lynch him D1

Equinox
: Still null. There's nothing wrong with her unvoting DP.

MS
: At first his arguments with AGar made me think he was Town. But I'm not sure now with his insistence on getting a cc lynched Day1. Null read.

MME
: Lurker. And since I have a lot of town read from this town, more chances are lurkers are scum --> Scum read.

Oso
: Nothing stands out, but he is being constructive, so slightly town read.

Screl
: Expresses a measured playstyle that is typical of scum + Wants to lynch cc = best potential Scum Candidate.

Vote:Screl

TBM
: Though he has little content. His posts strike me genuine --> Null to slight town read.

Sotty
: ...
Justice will prevail
\m/
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 am

Post by Oso »

It finally hit me with MS's post before last. He is scum.

The more I look at, the more this is starting to look like a textbook case (if there was an actual textbook on how to lynch a cop) of where it is safe for scum to attack a cop claim with virtual impunity.

- A player that has habitually it seems, abused the cop claim.
- Several players who still see him (David) as scummy and I do include myself here.
- The normal player impulse to punish (policy lynch) a person who habitually lies, screws up or disrupts games. Even if that impulse is unacknowledged or intentionally being suppressed by some of the players as I think it is here.

Now, add in a post (here) where a player says that while he may be willing to believe the claiming player(David) is not scum ("
In this case, however, even if David is town, there's a big chance he is vanilla.
") he is overwhelming certain that the cop claim isn't true based on past actions. Fair enough. David has only himself to blame for that one. And you have one part policy lynch that on it's own might be enough to get David lynched despite his claim, depending on how well you could sell it, and not be looked at took closely if you are wrong and he is a cop.

Go on to post a second (here) that shows some benefits from lynching said player(David). I agree with Copper on this post, it smells. But while I agree with Copper's assessment, I think it smells for an additional reason: No useful information can gleaned from David's lynch at this moment except that we have lynched a liar scum/liar VT or the Cop. David has screwed up his meta, so much it seems, with the cop claim that trying to draw any useful connections is almost ridiculous. You might have additional scum in there but you will certainly have townies in on the lynch that are there for all the wrong reasons because they think David needs a thumping AND we can get some good information from it.

And finally this post which I have to admit surprised me. When I called MS on failing to compare the chances of David lying on his claim but simply being a VT afraid of lynch I didn't expect a statistical breakdown (@ Michel, you hosed the numbers by the way. Use 24 as the base rather than 16) but rather acknowledgment of the fact that what he was really aiming for was to lynch David because he thinks he lying period. And whether or not David is scum or town was immaterial, something I'd have kept my eye on to be sure, but at this point wouldn't have participated myself in the lynch but I'm not sure how much I would have held it against him (or anyone else) if the DP lynch did go through. It does seem David does need thumped over the way he uses the claim.

But those numbers he threw out are useless as well and not because I think they are hosed up mathematically but because it goes directly to the setup of this game. Granted, there is a current trend towards basic 3:9 in minis for balance reasons but there is no reason to believe at this point that this game conforms to those standards. I feel the numbers he threw out there fall under the category of "baffle them with bullshit". We know that there are townies and scum in this game. Because of David's RC, we now know there is a possibility of a cop existing and not the vague 'well a cop could exist in any game' either but rather a player that has made a statement 'Yes, I'm a Cop.' Past that, doesn't matter what the trend currently is on mafiascum is. We have no idea at this point if the game chauchau set up for us is going to conform to the norm exactly, broadly or not at all. So Michel's statisics are worse than useless static because they make assumptions that might be valid over a broad range of games but could easily bite town in the ass in this specific game. It's for a purpose though and it's not being done to lynch David the Liar, it's being done to lynch David the Cop.

So, a pre-existing bias against a player based on previous play regarding cop claims. A call to that bias that not only leads where I think some players, maybe even a majority, want to go anyway but sweetened with supposed benefits of that lynch information-wise if you don't inspect it too closely all topped off with a neat statistical analysis that is absolutely useless, noise generating static at best and potentially dangerous at worst in my opinion.

Michel Sableheart is scum.

Damn, this turned into another wall.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:55 am

Post by Oso »

Oh, and I believe nopointinactingup's vote put Screl at L-1.

MOD: Votecount, please
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
chauchaudotcom
chauchaudotcom
Goon
chauchaudotcom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Post by chauchaudotcom »

Votecount:

It takes seven to lynch!

Voting

DavidParker (2): My Milked Eek, screl1
screl1 (6): DavidParker, Copper, Equinox, AGar, MichelSableheart, nopointinactingup

MichelSableheart (1): Oso

Not Voting

Sotty07, AWA, TheButtonmen

Deadline is in
days. July 19, 2010 at 10:00pm PST.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Post by DavidParker »

I'm wary as to how big screl's wagon got so quickly (even with 2-3 lurkers)... Basically everyone here has either been on my wagon or screl's wagon. And that's with AWAY/sotty/milked eek lurking excessively.

The deadline is in 4 days.
@Oso: Do you actually think a Michel lynch could logistically occur today with the limited time? This has been the first time he has been under pressure. Due to the speed of the screl wagon, and it not breaking up, my gut is leading towards him not being scum, but he is flailing around a lot as if he was scum. I would support either a screl/Michel lynch or if we want to play the game "safer" a lynch on one of the lurkers. (MME....)
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
AWA
AWA
Goon
AWA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Post by AWA »

Oso, your argument has merit, but it does seem a
bit
contrived; a so-called "textbook" lynch-a-cop method (which hasn't ever been established), which MS appears to fall into "perfectly"? Your case seems a bit tailored to me, though I will concede that there are some points of interest, which must be examined at some point.

I still would support a David lynch, but as has been pointed out, it everyone sticks to the proverbial guns, that is mathematically impossible.

As for screl, I think that his "newbishness" is being stretched to the limit. He's flailing much more than can be reasonably expected. Addressing his attitude toward voting David, I find that he simply hid behind my already-established reasoning to put off voting for David. His "argument" for putting off the lynch was almost concept-for-concept my own. Now that he's under the microscope, his squirming almost feels like a tell. I'll wait for a claim, but I won't mind hammering.

Welcome, nopointactingup (if you don't mind, I will abbreviate to npau). Question: How do you find my caution "edgy"? I'll be the first to admit that I have a very non-aggressive playstyle, but I fail to see how that labels me as scummy. As for my choice in language, if you read me in iso and use Ctrl+F, you'll find that I use the words "lynch" and "kill' pretty much interchangeably. Not sure if this is poor etiquette, but there it is.
Show
Generation
: The
first
time you see this message, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

You just lost The Game.

My name is Glenn Dawson. I'm a noun.
AWA
AWA
Goon
AWA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Post by AWA »

David: It's AWA. Not Away. Each letter is pronounced individually.

And I would hardly call them wagons. Reasonable cases have been made against each of you.
Show
Generation
first
time you see this message, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

You just lost The Game.

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Post by Equinox »

DavidParker wrote:I'm wary as to how big screl's wagon got so quickly (even with 2-3 lurkers)... Basically everyone here has either been on my wagon or screl's wagon. And that's with AWAY/sotty/milked eek lurking excessively.
People had DavidParker and screl1 listed as suspects. When you claimed, we naturally hopped on our second choice. Suspects happened(?) to coincide.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by Oso »

AWA wrote:Oso, your argument has merit, but it does seem a
bit
contrived; a so-called "textbook" lynch-a-cop method (which hasn't ever been established), which MS appears to fall into "perfectly"? Your case seems a bit tailored to me, though I will concede that there are some points of interest, which must be examined at some point.

- snip-
When David claimed Cop I basically went, "Damn, best lynch candidate in the thread went and claimed a PR..." no way I'm gonna push a D1 lynch on claimed PR and because of the way that particular role works, expecting a counter-claim on D1 is just isn't going to happen. So, I'm stuck. I had some mild suspicions about Screl but nothing like most of the other player's had on him and certainly not enough to vote on, at least in my mind.

So, I went and asked myself how would I go about trying to start the seeds to negate the cop claim today if I knew it was probably true. The meta call on David was a good way to start. Then, when I was reading MS's post where he quoted all the relative probabilities, it hit me. I didn't have to figure out how I would do it. I was being shown right here in the thread how to do it in 3, easy to read, posts. Just like if I were reading raw data from a case study out of a textbook. That conclusion is not based in logic or even a real gut feeling more like one of those intuitive leaps where everything just jumps out all of a sudden crystal clear.

@David. I don't think it matters. I have stated a case against Michel but look at the way Screl has played today, even with a couple of people willing to give him a newb pass for Day 1, I don't think it's going to help him. I'd be surprised if the day ended in anything other than a Screl lynch. Once I decided to put you into 'probable town' because of your RC, I threw out half my case on Screl because it relied on a connection between you two so I won't be voting as I have been forgiving of things I wouldn't with a non-first time gamer but there are others who decided not to give that same pass and were probably right not to, he's in over his head here. So yeah, I think Screl is toast.
-
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Post by DavidParker »

I am going to have to say that posting a big case in an attempt to kill a claimed PR (ON DAY 1 !?!?!?) is nonsensical behaviour and definitely scummy. He based it entirely on meta saying that I'm more likely VT or scum than cop... Based on one completed game where I claimed cop.. Hint: That was my first game here Michel.. If you want I can link you to my previous games played on a different site, where I have claimed a PR almost EVERY game I was a VT. My meta has changed to accommodate to playing games on this site.

Vote: Michel
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Post by AGar »

DavidParker wrote:I am going to have to say that posting a big case in an attempt to kill a claimed PR (ON DAY 1 !?!?!?) is nonsensical behaviour and definitely scummy. He based it entirely on meta saying that I'm more likely VT or scum than cop... Based on one completed game where I claimed cop.. Hint: That was my first game here Michel.. If you want I can link you to my previous games played on a different site, where I have claimed a PR almost EVERY game I was a VT. My meta has changed to accommodate to playing games on this site.

We know you're claiming to be the cop. Stop town-following, scum.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 am

Post by Equinox »

The one thing I least expected was DavidParker hopping onto the MichelSableheart bandwagon.

If MichelSableheart is scum, I doubt he'd be so blatant. A better time to lynch the cop would have come later, and his argument would have worked then. He should have known he'd take fire for his current opinion, yet he did it anyway. I don't think he's the one we need to lynch.

I stand by my vote of screl1.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

V/LA
until tommorow evening.

Noted
Last edited by chauchaudotcom on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Post by DavidParker »

AGar wrote:
DavidParker wrote:I am going to have to say that posting a big case in an attempt to kill a claimed PR (ON DAY 1 !?!?!?) is nonsensical behaviour and definitely scummy. He based it entirely on meta saying that I'm more likely VT or scum than cop... Based on one completed game where I claimed cop.. Hint: That was my first game here Michel.. If you want I can link you to my previous games played on a different site, where I have claimed a PR almost EVERY game I was a VT. My meta has changed to accommodate to playing games on this site.

We know you're claiming to be the cop. Stop town-following, cop.
fixed
nopointinactingup
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Where are you Screl? Claim, you are at L-1 and will probably be lynched.
Justice will prevail
\m/
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Post by DavidParker »

nopointinactingup wrote:Where are you Screl? Claim, you are at L-1 and will probably be lynched.
no he's not. now stop rolefishing!
nopointinactingup
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
nopointinactingup
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Okay, didn't note you unvoted him .. But we are on extension date already and nothing seems to be moving forward, so either that or no lynch.
Justice will prevail
\m/
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

Sigh.
Mod:
can we get a prod on MME again?

Done.

OSO wrote:(@ Michel, you hosed the numbers by the way. Use 24 as the base rather than 16)
I did hose the numbers, because there should be on average 6 mafia in two games, not 3. However, the base I used is correct, because I am comparing the possibilities given that he claimed cop. The other 5 are different powerroles, which he wouldn't have claimed cop with. Also, the exact correctness of the numbers wasn't relevant. They were mainly intended to give an impression of the chances as I see them.

Do you truly believe that I, if I were scum, would go out of my way to try to get a lynch against the run of play when it is extremely likely that the player I'm trying to get lynched is a vanilla townie?
David wrote:If you want I can link you to my previous games played on a different site, where I have claimed a PR almost EVERY game I was a VT. My meta has changed to accommodate to playing games on this site.
If you want to convince me that your meta has changed, linking to games with your old meta is not going to convince me. Can you link me to at least two games played recently on this site where you claimed vanilla townie as vanilla townie when under early pressure?

So now we have David unvoting the biggest bandwagon three days before deadline to vote a bandwagon that has received virtually no support, calling explicitly for a delay of a claim from the most likely lynch of the day. Are you trying to get us into a No Lynch, David?
Last edited by chauchaudotcom on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Post by DavidParker »

I stated clearly before I wanted to make sure a lynch happened today. I will be around close to deadline to make sure my vote is moved to the biggest "bandwagon" if it looks like a no lynch might happen.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Post by DavidParker »

I only have 3 or so completed games on this site, one of which I subbed into day 3 as doctor. One game I claimed cop and the other I was a VT who died night 1, but then subbed in later for a VT.

Anyways: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=14287
I die night 1 (as VT), but sub in to replace a VT on day 2, and later claim to be VT (no one had claimed doctor or cop yet)

And what makes you think it's likely I am a VT?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 am

Post by Equinox »

DavidParker wrote:I stated clearly before I wanted to make sure a lynch happened today. I will be around close to deadline to make sure my vote is moved to the biggest "bandwagon" if it looks like a no lynch might happen.
Then why did you jump onto the MichelSableheart bandwagon?

Also, why did you wait until people started voting him before doing so yourself?
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:56 am

Post by AGar »

DavidParker wrote:
nopointinactingup wrote:Where are you Screl? Claim, you are at L-1 and will probably be lynched.
no he's not. now stop rolefishing!
So, trying to buy your partner more time to fabricate a false-claim?

It's currently 5 AM PST on the 17th. That means roughly 2 days and 17 hours until deadline. At this point, people need to start taking action if they want to change things.

screl needs to come in here and make his false-claim.

I'm wholly satisfied with a lynch of screl today, and I don't see many other satiable options. MS bandwagon is just not my thing. I don't like lynching players who are likely just anti-town.

Also, people need to stop playing the newb card for screl. Two reasons: 1) I have yet to see him play it in his defense. 2) He could be completely faking his newb-ness. No one knows. By repeatedly playing the newb-card, you basically make it so he isn't held accountable for any of his actions.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:09 am

Post by DavidParker »

Equinox wrote:
DavidParker wrote:I stated clearly before I wanted to make sure a lynch happened today. I will be around close to deadline to make sure my vote is moved to the biggest "bandwagon" if it looks like a no lynch might happen.
Then why did you jump onto the MichelSableheart bandwagon?

Also, why did you wait until people started voting him before doing so yourself?
Because someone else posted a case against Michel regarding something I hadn't thought of? By voting with him, it actually pressures Michel some more, rather than if no one joined in, he can just shrug it off. Also, it makes sense I agree with Oso's case as opposed to you guys, because I know of my own alignment, whereas you guys may still question whether or not I am scum, so would be less likely to think he is scum trying to kill a PR, if you think the PR is scum.. Whereas, I know i'm not scum, so I do believe he may have been trying to day 1 lynch a PR.

As to your first question. We still have 2 days?? I'm more than willing to move my vote back to screl, I just thought a Michel wagon might kick off, and screl's latest posts have a sort of newb-town vibe to them, although his constant flailing and early game scumminess is hard to ignore.

Vote: screl
AWA
AWA
Goon
AWA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:15 am

Post by AWA »

I'm gonna go ahead and say that David is scum. Hammer without a claim? Riiight.
Show
Generation
first

You just lost The Game.

DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:19 am

Post by DavidParker »

FoS AWA

Pretending a player has been hammered to make a case?? lolwut!?

@screl: please claim.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”