Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:04 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

dimaba wrote:
Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:If I "ask" you "Why don't you go jump in a lake?" I'm not really asking a question I'm telling you off. If I "asked" you "Do you still beat your wife?" I'm not looking for one answer or another but instead to tar your reputation. Don't get confused by a rhetorical device just because it features a question mark at the end.
I understand the rhetorics involed and yet I still disagree. There's a difference between your examples and the sentence used by warriormode. Warriormode used a two-part phrase: "If ..., then why...". This structure is used to signal a percieved contradiction, regardless of wether the person using it is personally affected by the answer. Had he just said "why don't you go vote for needle" things would have been different.

Compare:
Suggestion - Why don't you become a vegan?
Signalled contradiction - If you're a vegan, then why do you have your fridge filled with meat?

The signalled contradiction could be used by anyone who opens that fridge and is surprised at seeing meat, regardless of wether that person thinks the meat should be removed.
But you've flipped the analogy because he didn't note contradiction. He made an assumption about something and then promoted something based off of that. The correct analogy looks like...

"If your fridge doesn't have any meat anyways, why don't you become a vegan?"

Which takes a (informed or in warriormode's case uninformed) fact and from there makes a suggestion based off that information.
DavidParker wrote: Now, end of page 2. THe part i dont like about DDDP is he isn't getting things moving and some proper discussion moving! I feel he should be encouraging people to vote.. less than half of the players have used their vote at this point.. RVS is a great way to get some early weak bandwagons (that will usually fall later) and good discussion and wagon analysis happening. But he has put down a vote then been happy with the way noone else has voted.. Doesn't seem to be working under a town agenda to me!
This is certainly not merely bellyaching about your playing style, it is about wether the most experienced player around is trying to help the town forward or not and about wether that is possible under a town agenda.
Actually it’s exactly a complaint about playstyle, David's point is that I'm not playing as aggressively as he thinks I should. This makes a faulty assumption that there is only one way to play (as a town IC) when part of the beauty of the IC role is that it exposes players to all different sort of veteran players and their ideas, some extremely aggressive, some who explain every single detail and some who simply throw you in the deep end and say "start swimming".
I will also count the question I asked you about warriormode's tone as unrelated to your playing style, as it applied directly to the strength of your case against warriormode.
Agreed in part that it is related to my playing style, but I disagree with the idea that tone has to be more than a single point. I've caught scum before based on a single strange wording and I once busted a whole scum team based on a single information slip (though personally I didn't follow up on it correctly). Now the argument regarding tone in this case isn't nearly as strong as those two cases, but I disagree with your assertion that it is only valid if there's more than one occurrence. If the standard required more than one awkward phrasing or more than one slip then I wouldn't have been able to deduce those previous cases as scum which I was based on just single observations.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Vote Count:

iamatree L-3: dimaba, theperson
Debonair Danny DiPietro L-3: warriormode, DavidParker
DavidParker L-3: Debonair Danny DiPietro, Applefarmer
seth L-4: iamatree

Remember, deadline is only a week away!
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Seven days to go and I will be
V/LA this weekend
. Which means we need to get cracking. I've never pulled this particular stunt before, but it's not exactly brain surgery so I propose a temporary alliance.

I propose seth, Applefarmer, dimaba, and theperson as reading most town to me all join me in this alliance to decide who to pressure and lynch today. I then propose we do this by IRV (Instant Run-Off Voting) listing the four other players in order from most desire to lynch to least desire to lynch. We then look at the first place votes and see if there's a majority, if there's not then we eliminate candidates one by one until someone has a majority. The minority in this alliance agrees to support the majority decision. This alliance is only for today (game day) and tomorrow every player is once again on their own unless a new alliance is deemed useful.

What say, ye knaves?
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Post by seth »

I'm not sure if I can confidently say that you, dimaba, or theperson are town so I think I'll decline. Beanman, you agreed with DP, but didn't vote why not?
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Post by DavidParker »

An alliance? Sounds like something of a sort of scum agenda.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Volo replaces iamatree, effective immediately
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Volo
Volo
Townie
Volo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Post by Volo »

Hey guys.

@people voting me: which wagon is better, DDD or David?
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by warriormode »

One thing I would like to point out: DDD just used similar logic to his case on me to switch his vote to DP. Any thoughts?
How can anyone follow him his case really. He doesn't use good logic and he has to be asked at least twice and properly to answer questions (God damnit man, just answer them! If you didn't see it thats different, but if you don't answer a question because of wording... thats ridiculous).
The deadline is coming up, I'm keeping my vote on DDD, but I'm fine with any lynch. I only ask that we don't follow DDD's vote based on his logic so far. If you vote with DDD at least come up with better reasons than his.
Volo
Volo
Townie
Volo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Post by Volo »

Something that really caught my attention and I wanted to comment on before I turn in for the night:
Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
Unvote; Vote: DavidParker

I love it when people make my life easy because they reveal themselves to be scum. The above is a perfect example of a scumtell I've borrowed from my buddy Amished. It's worked very well for him and for me in the few places where I've seen it. The explanation is as follows...
Amished @ Open 193 wrote:For those of you that don't know what's going on; I've basically come up with a scumtell that if you *criticize* who you replaced in; you're scum. This is a refinement from what I had it (if you read your replacement at all you were scum); but this seems to cover all the instances where I've seen/remember it. If you're town, you really don't have to worry about your predecessor as you know they're town; but if you think that they're scummy; then you're scum. As town, you know that you're not scummy and don't deserve criticism at all.
I disagree with this. My first instinct when I looked over the thread for the first time was how badly my predecessor played [probably not the best worded -- it's was pretty clear he was very inexperienced, anyway...]. I'd imagined using one of my first posts here to do essentially when David did there; distance myself from the poor play as much as possible, as if to say: "Don't look at
him
or judge this player-slot by
him
He's
a bad example. Just judge me by how
I
play."

And I don't think it's completely implausible to see as a null tell. Town players don't want bad predecessors screwing up their game. I know that my predecessors actions were completely newbish if not scummy, and I don't want to be associated with him even. Scum don't want old actions that they weren't responsible for to look bad for them either.

So I can totally empathize with his statement and don't find it scummy in the slightest.
Beanman
Beanman
Goon
Beanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 am

Post by Beanman »

@DP-The reason I didn't vote in my last post, was I was on the fence between 2 individuals that I didn't see as partners, and I didn't see voting at the time, to really be beneficial. I wanted to give both individuals a chance to give another post or 2, before I threw my vote out there, and at this time I'm going to toss one over at warrior.

I honestly don't think warrior has done much in the way of scum hunting day 1. He has really in my opinion, only defended against a very weak case against himself, and hasn't targeted anyone else really to ask questions to see who could possibly be scum. I really just don't see a pro-town person, when I read his posts.

Vote:Warriormode
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 am

Post by seth »

I'm actually inclined to disagree. While Warrior hasn't done any scumhunting so far that confirms him to me as town, he
has
tried. I'll do a reread later and vote when I have more time.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 am

warriormode wrote:One thing I would like to point out: DDD just used similar logic to his case on me to switch his vote to DP. Any thoughts?
Try it again in English.
How can anyone follow him his case really. He doesn't use good logic and he has to be asked at least twice and properly to answer questions (God damnit man, just answer them! If you didn't see it thats different, but if you don't answer a question because of wording... thats ridiculous).
I don't answer every question because some of them aren't worth answering, simple as that.
The deadline is coming up, I'm keeping my vote on DDD,
but I'm fine with any lynch
. I only ask that we don't follow DDD's vote based on his logic so far. If you vote with DDD at least come up with better reasons than his.
"Hey guys, I'm fine lynching anyone else besides me." = stance of scum.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:43 am

seth wrote:I'm actually inclined to disagree. While Warrior hasn't done any scumhunting so far that confirms him to me as town, he
has
tried. I'll do a reread later and vote when I have more time.
He really hasn't. His sole argument lately is that my arguments about other people are bad. And that may well be the case (I disagree but for the sake of this point we'll grant it), but he's completely failed to create any link between bad arguments and the role of scum. Incidentally something that is basically impossible to do since it's very easy to make bad arguments as town and good arguments as scum.

Then of course there's his most recent stance that he'll accept any old lynch which is dreadful and scummy policy.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 am

Post by DavidParker »

For someone who has used "tone" as an argument and reason to vote someone this game, your posts strike me to have a somewhat desperate and scummy tone to them DDDP. This "desperation" is not only shown in your town but by you trying to form this alliance it seems. Just my view on your last couple posts.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:33 am

DavidParker wrote:For someone who has used "tone" as an argument and reason to vote someone this game, your posts strike me to have a somewhat desperate and scummy tone to them DDDP. This "desperation" is not only shown in your town but by you trying to form this alliance it seems. Just my view on your last couple posts.
My alliance proposal was put together because a majority does not appear to be persuaded by my arguments for a single player and I'm going to be gone three of the next seven days which doesn't give me that much ability or time to do things the way I'd like to do them. Hence I'd rather protect both myself and the players I think are town and lynch one of the players I think are scum and that seemed like the easiest and most viable way to achieve that goal.

What you call desperate I call transparent.
Volo
Volo
Townie
Volo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by Volo »

I've never seen anything like an alliance suggested in my online play experience so I can't really say from experience whether it's inherently Town or Scum motivated and I think it could go either way.
warriormode wrote:The deadline is coming up, I'm keeping my vote on DDD, but I'm fine with any lynch. I only ask that we don't follow DDD's vote based on his logic so far. If you vote with DDD at least come up with better reasons than his.
I agree with DDD that this is a scummy thing to say. It looks like he's saying this so that he doesn't stop on any specific person's toes and so that can "safely" jump on any wagon that might come up and not be chastised for it.

So I'll
Unvote: Seth

And
Vote: Warrior

I think this is a better direction than David wagon and DDD wagon [and iamatree wagon of course].
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'll be V/LA this weekend for Scumstorm, as a heads-up. I should be able to keep an eye on this thread, but Yaw will be backing me up, just in case I can't.
Applefarmer
Applefarmer
Townie
Applefarmer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by Applefarmer »

warriormode wrote:One thing I would like to point out: DDD just used similar logic to his case on me to switch his vote to DP. Any thoughts?
The deadline is coming up, I'm keeping my vote on DDD, but I'm fine with any lynch. I only ask that we don't follow DDD's vote based on his logic so far. If you vote with DDD at least come up with better reasons than his.
Anyone as long as we do not pay attention to the guy who is after you? Would you be fine with lynching dimaba or myself?
Volo
Volo
Townie
Volo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Post by Volo »

What's your opinion of the alliance suggestion, Apple?
Applefarmer
Applefarmer
Townie
Applefarmer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Post by Applefarmer »

I don't find it surprising or out of character for him to suggest something like that and I appreciate being included, but I'm not giving away a vote. Does it hint at scum or town? I don't know, but I'm considering a warriormode lynch right now, which might provide some insight anyways.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Post by theperson »

Wow, I forgot to post again. Really sorry, guys. I haven't had as much time on mafiascum lately.

Anyway, this whole DDDP thing: This might sound weird, but I think both Applefarmer and DDDP are town. Applefarmer has been going a lot at DDDP, and the way he's arguing just comes off as town. I understand his arguments, but disagree with a lot of them. DDDP has been doing a good job keeping this going and pointing out where people are going wrong.

The DP calling his predecessor scummy incident: I don't think it's a very strong case. I've done that as town before, I don't think it's a definite scumtell.

As for the alliance thing: I'm not sure what to think of that. I've never seen anything like it. I guess I'd be willing to do it if others are.
Beanman
Beanman
Goon
Beanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Post by Beanman »

@Seth-I'm not sure how someone not scum hunting makes them town. Can you please enlighten me on your reasoning?

@MOD-V/LA till sunday.
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Post by warriormode »

Volo wrote:I've never seen anything like an alliance suggested in my online play experience so I can't really say from experience whether it's inherently Town or Scum motivated and I think it could go either way.
warriormode wrote:The deadline is coming up, I'm keeping my vote on DDD, but I'm fine with any lynch. I only ask that we don't follow DDD's vote based on his logic so far. If you vote with DDD at least come up with better reasons than his.
I agree with DDD that this is a scummy thing to say. It looks like he's saying this so that he doesn't stop on any specific person's toes and so that can "safely" jump on any wagon that might come up and not be chastised for it.

So I'll
Unvote: Seth

And
Vote: Warrior

I think this is a better direction than David wagon and DDD wagon [and iamatree wagon of course].
No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying I will be fine if five other people decide to lynch someone else. I'm not gonna switch my wagon I'm keeping my vote.
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Post by warriormode »

Applefarmer wrote:
Anyone as long as we do not pay attention to the guy who is after you? Would you be fine with lynching dimaba or myself?
Why r u suggesting diaba or urself?
Beanman
Beanman
Goon
Beanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:40 am

Post by Beanman »

sorry, cancel that mod, I got my dates mixed up. I will not be V/LA after all.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”